Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Bad News Bears (Sitcoms Online) / The Bad News Bears links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Bad News Bears Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > The Bad News Bears

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: The Conners Renewed for a Second Season; (Almost) Everything Brady Related Coming to a DVD Box Set
Fri-Yay: Original Comedies at Netflix; ABC Announces April Finales, Including TGIF
Antenna TV's Gimme a Break! Spring Break Marathon; Netflix Gets Mindy Kaling Comedy Series
COZI TV Celebrates April Fools with Pranks; HBO Comedy Gets 4th Season
Sabrina Returns April 5 on Netflix; Remembering Character Actor Richard Erdman of Community
Antenna TV Coming to Ft. Myers, Makes Minor Spring Change; NBC Brings the Funny This Summer
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of March 18, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February/March)

Step by Step - The Complete Fourth Season What I Like About You - The Complete Fourth Season Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete Second Season Alice - The Complete Ninth Season The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Fifth Season

01/08 - Family Guy - 20 Greatest Hits
01/22 - Fuller House - The Complete Third Season
01/22 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Fourth Season (WBShop.com)
01/29 - Ballers - The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
01/29 - Crashing - The Complete Second Season
01/29 - The Game - The Complete Series
01/29 - Kidding - Season One
02/05 - Family Guy - Part 1 - Volumes 1-5
02/05 - Family Guy - Part 2 - Volumes 6-10
02/05 - Family Guy - Part 3 - Seasons 10-14
02/05 - First Lady of Television - Betty White Collection (40 rare and acclaimed episodes from her early days in television)
02/05 - Mama's Family - Seasons 1-6 - The Complete Series
02/12 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-3 (Blu-ray)
02/12 - Step by Step - The Complete Fourth Season
02/26 - What I Like About You - The Complete Fourth Season
03/05 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete Second Season (WBShop.com)
03/12 - Alice - The Complete Ninth Season (WBShop.com)
03/26 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-22-2002, 01:07 PM   #1
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

Thumbs up How did The Bad News Bears Do In The Ratings

Does anyone know how the Bad News Bears do in the ratings
when it was on televison.

Take Care
Aaron
Old 11-26-2002, 08:04 PM   #2
Brian
Forum Veteran

It probably didn't do very well since it lasted such a short time. I'm assuming the movies were better.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 01:12 PM   #3
Doug
Frequent Poster

Default Ratings

It did well when it was introduced as a mid-season replacement in the spring of 1979. But when it returned that fall it was cancelled after only 3 episodes.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 01:46 AM   #4
Mr. Television
15 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

It was burried on Saturday night and unless you were ABC which had Love Boat and Fantasy Island on at the time, that night was a deadzone..
Old 12-03-2006, 07:22 PM   #5
TV_on_the_Porch
anything good on?
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Tall
It was burried on Saturday night and unless you were ABC which had Love Boat and Fantasy Island on at the time, that night was a deadzone..
Well...Saturday nights in the late 70s was one of the times when Americans would get up en mas and switch channels, specifically at 9PM eastern from NBC to ABC. From 8-9PM CHiPs ruled. I'm not sure just how well Bad News Bears did in the spring of '79, but it may have benefitted partially by debuting just as CHiPs was beginning reruns. The fact that ABC had just moved the by-then-totally-crapified What's Happening to Saturday meant that TBNB had no other real first-run competition. It clearly maintained a solid second-place showing in that time period for at least the seven or so weeks leading up to the announcement of CBS' fall schedule, otherwise it would not have been on it. I suspect that the ratings went south already during the summer, because TBNB was originally slated to stay at 8PM in the fall, paired with Struck By Lightning at 8:30, but prior to the beginning of the season CBS shuffled Working Stiffs from Wednesday 8PM to Saturday at 8PM, apparently in an attempt to shore up an already perceived weakness. Didn't work, of course. CHiPs regained total domination. The Ropers got what was left and passed most of it on to Detective School (at first), leaving TBNB among the very bottom right along with New Kind Of Family and Out Of The Blue
Old 12-05-2006, 09:20 PM   #6
Tweety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
It probably didn't do very well since it lasted such a short time. I'm assuming the movies were better.
The first movie was better... the sequels (and the remake of the original) were terrible...
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:47 PM   #7
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

I sure do wish I was able to see The Bad News Bears when it was on ABC
Scoobiedoo30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:41 AM   #8
TV_on_the_Porch
anything good on?
Forum Regular

CBS
TV_on_the_Porch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:58 AM   #9
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

CBS and what time
Scoobiedoo30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:53 AM   #10
TV_on_the_Porch
anything good on?
Forum Regular

8PM Saturday Nights.

It was moved to 8:30 a couple of times, but ran in that slot for only 3 or 4 weeks in either instance.
TV_on_the_Porch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:42 AM   #11
Mr. Television
15 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDRyan
Well...Saturday nights in the late 70s was one of the times when Americans would get up en mas and switch channels, specifically at 9PM eastern from NBC to ABC. From 8-9PM CHiPs ruled. I'm not sure just how well Bad News Bears did in the spring of '79, but it may have benefitted partially by debuting just as CHiPs was beginning reruns. The fact that ABC had just moved the by-then-totally-crapified What's Happening to Saturday meant that TBNB had no other real first-run competition. It clearly maintained a solid second-place showing in that time period for at least the seven or so weeks leading up to the announcement of CBS' fall schedule, otherwise it would not have been on it. I suspect that the ratings went south already during the summer, because TBNB was originally slated to stay at 8PM in the fall, paired with Struck By Lightning at 8:30, but prior to the beginning of the season CBS shuffled Working Stiffs from Wednesday 8PM to Saturday at 8PM, apparently in an attempt to shore up an already perceived weakness. Didn't work, of course. CHiPs regained total domination. The Ropers got what was left and passed most of it on to Detective School (at first), leaving TBNB among the very bottom right along with New Kind Of Family and Out Of The Blue
Yea you are right and I used to watch CHIPS too . At 9 though during the 1979-1980 season it was B.J. and the Bear for me.
Mr. Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:42 AM   #12
GeorgeWBushGOP
Forum Regular

The show wasn't any good anyway....they were sanitized versions of the much better actors from the movie....

just seemed like it was cleaned up too much.
GeorgeWBushGOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:34 PM   #13
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

I loved the show when it aired on Nickelodeon on weekends. I wanted to be one of the Bad News Bears as a kid. LOL.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:59 PM   #14
um
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety View Post
The first movie was better... the sequels (and the remake of the original) were terrible...
It is just like the Planet Of The Apes sequels. The original movie ( and actually the following sequel) were good, but anything that followed afterward were way too overdone. Also the TV show.
um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:26 AM   #15
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

wow the entire show was released on DVD a few months ago
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote