Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

MeTV Network Makes Spring Change; Freeform Orders Pilot from Paul Feig
Antenna TV Adds More Alice in April; Andi Mack Gets 3rd Season on Disney
Decades Acquires Newhart Starting March 2018; Santa Clarita Diet Brings Out More Stars for Season 2
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of February 19, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Netflix's Disjointed to End After One Season; Will & Grace Revival Coming to DVD
Fri-Yay: Is the Era of the "Sadcom" Over?; TBS Lands Pilot from Emmy Winner
The CW to Expand to 6 Nights; Netflix Gets 5th Season of Grace and Frankie
CBS Renews Digital Sitcom; Judy Greer Is Not Kidding, She Joins Jim Carrey Comedy
Rare Gems on getTV for Black History Month; Showtime Comedy Pilot Brings Out the Stars
ABC Crossovers Set for March 1; Tosh.0 Gets 3 Additional Seasons Thru 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of February 12, 2018)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)

Trial & Error - The Complete First Season Superior Donuts - Season One Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Seventh Season Green Acres - The Complete Fifth Season Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season

01/09 - Girlfriends - The Complete Series
01/16 - Trial & Error - The Complete First Season
01/22 - Superior Donuts - Season One
01/23 - Baskets - The Complete Season Two
02/06 - All in the Family - Seasons 1-5
02/06 - Bosom Buddies - The Complete Series
02/13 - Broad City - Season 4
02/13 - Three's Company - The Complete Series - Come and Knock on Our Door Collection
02/27 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Seventh Season
02/27 - Green Acres - The Complete Fifth Season
02/27 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
Family Ties Forever!

Post Orlando, Florida Shooting

Quote:
link

Orlando Shooting Suspect Had Money Woes
1 Confirmed Dead; 5 Others Hurt
Antonio Gonzalez, Associated Press Writers

Posted: Friday, November 6, 2009
Updated: 5:35 pm CST November 6, 2009

Orlando, Fla. -- A man who was so deep in debt that he did not have the money to visit his son 30 minutes away opened fire Friday at the engineering firm that fired him two years ago, killing one person and wounding five, authorities said.

As officers led a handcuffed Jason Rodriguez into a police station, a reporter asked the divorced 40-year-old why he had attacked his former colleagues.

"Because they left me to rot," said Rodriguez, who recently told a bankruptcy judge he was making less than $30,000 a year at a Subway sandwich shop and owed nearly $90,000.

The shooting on the eighth floor of an office tower paralyzed downtown Orlando for three hours. Police quickly tracked Rodriguez to his mother's home, spotted him through a window and ordered him to come out.

He surrendered peacefully and was in custody Friday evening, though he had not yet been formally charged in the shootings.

All of the victims worked at the firm of Reynolds, Smith and Hills, where Rodriguez was an entry-level engineer for 11 months before he was let go in June 2007, the company said.

Police said Rodriguez used a handgun in the shooting, but they did not release additional details, including how he got inside the building, whether he said anything to people in the office or how he initially escaped.

The five wounded people were in stable condition at Orlando hospitals. The person who died was not identified.

Rodriguez worked on drawings in the firm's transportation group, but his supervisors said his performance was not up their standards, and when he did not improve, he was fired. The company did not hear from him again.

"This is really a mystery to us," said Ken Jacobson, the firm's general legal counsel and chief financial officer. "There was nothing to indicate any hard feelings."

He did not know why Rodriguez would say the company had left him "to rot."

"It's been 2 years," Jacobson said. "We don't know where he's been or what he's done."

But Rodriguez' bankruptcy filing and his former mother-in-law suggested he was plagued by money woes.

Les Winograd, a spokesman for Milford, Conn.-based Subway Restaurants, said Rodriguez had worked for one of the company's sandwich shops in the Orlando area until six weeks ago. He would not say whether Rodriguez had left or was fired.

His mother-in-law, America Holloway, told The Associated Press that Rodriguez and her daughter, Neshby, were married for about 6 years before divorcing several years ago. They have an 8-year-old son who lives with Neshby in Kissimmee, about a half-hour away.

Holloway said the couple lived with her in Orlando for several years while they were married and that Rodriguez abused her daughter and once threw all her clothes into the street.

"I used to tell my daughter he was crazy," Holloway said. "He was always fighting, always yelling. There was always problems."

After the divorce, Rodriguez seldom saw his son, but he called last week while the child was at Holloway's house and the boy asked his father why he did not come over, too.

"He said, 'Because I don't have any money. I don't have a job. I don't have anything to eat. When things get better, I'll come see you,'" Holloway said Rodriguez told his son.

Police Chief Val Demings said investigators did not know why Rodriguez targeted the engineering firm.

"This is a tragedy, no doubt about it, especially on the heels of the tragedy in Fort Hood that is on our minds," she said, referring to an Army psychiatrist suspected of opening fire on fellow soldiers at a Texas military base Thursday in an attack that killed 13 people and wounded 30.

Charles Price, an attorney who represented Rodriguez in his bankruptcy case, said he could not comment on specifics of the matter. He had not seen Rodriguez since the summer.

A somber Gov. Charlie Crist visited some of the wounded at Orlando Regional Medical Center.

"They're obviously traumatized," he said. "At the same time, I was impressed with their spirit and strength."

Camille Previlon told The Associated Press her uncle, engineer Guy Lungenbel, was shot in the back and was able to talk but had not said much about the shooting.

"He's just hurting real bad in the back," she said.

After the lunchtime shooting, some people streamed out of the Legion Place building while others holed up in their offices. A major highway was closed, and nearby schools were locked down.

Greg Cross, who works in a real estate office on the 12th floor, said he and his co-workers barricaded themselves inside after hearing about the gunman on television.

"We were terrified," he said. "We locked the door and put a filing cabinet in front of the door and just waited."

Mark Vella, who works in a different office on the same floor, said he and five co-workers also pulled a filing cabinet in front of their door. They prayed and talked about what to do if the gunman showed up.

"We were afraid the guy was still in the building and making the rounds," Vella said.

Associated Press writers Travis Reed, Kelli Kennedy, Jennifer Kay, Laura Wides-Munoz, David Fischer and Damian Grass in Miami; Mitch Stacy and Tamara Lush in Orlando; and Christine Armario in Tampa contributed to this report.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I'm NOT a Blockhead!

Cool

And the madness continues.

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Old 11-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

Oh No

What has this week come to?!

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Old 11-06-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvo301
And the madness continues.

Indeed it does. Lord have mercy; what is this world coming to?

xxoo You both Rock!!
Old 11-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #5
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Oh No

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH Nuts!
Indeed it does. Lord have mercy; what is this world coming to?
Has EVERYONE gone off their rocker???

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 11-06-2009, 10:54 PM   #6
Janice
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
Lily & Cesar-In my Heart 4ever

Oh No

Really, it's as if the world has gone berzerk. Those poor victims and their loved ones.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #7
Doodyville10019
Forum Regular
Meet my new friend Sparkie!

Send a message via AIM to Doodyville10019 Send a message via Yahoo to Doodyville10019

The first guy on a shooting rampage was a psychiatrist who (supposedly) was insulted quite a bit because of his religion.

The second guy on a shooting rampage was fired from the place he shot up two years before.

Yes, Virginia, I see a pattern here.

We have all forgotten that we simply can't tick someone off big time and expect them to just "get over it". It never works.

And until we as a society realize this, the madness will continue.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #8
Janice
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
Lily & Cesar-In my Heart 4ever

I guess the lesson here is don't tease or fire anyone. They just might shoot the joint up.