Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Our Miss Brooks links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Our Miss Brooks Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1950s Sitcoms > Our Miss Brooks
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 20, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fox Producing Retirement Home Comedy Starring Vicki Lawrence and David Alan Grier; Nashville and Still the King Cancelled
Fri-Yay: Is Hulu Moving Away From Comedy?; Antenna TV to Air New Year Kickoff with Coach Marathon
You're the Worst Renewed for Final Season on FXX; New Stana Katic Drama Heads to Amazon
Sundance Gets Original Series for VOD; GSN Gets Thanksgiving Marathons
Antenna TV January 2018 Schedule Includes Gimme a Break! and Coach; Pop Launches Wednesday Comedies in January
The Detour Back on TBS in January; I Love Lucy and Dick Van Dyke Show Christmas on CBS

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-24-2016, 07:26 PM   #16
Ronny G
Forum Regular

Today's Thanksgiving episode was hilarious. Lots of great one-liners.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:49 PM   #17
stevea

The stars DO get funny lines, particularly Eve Arden--Gordon and Crenna get their share of good zingers, also. The main continuing plot--Connie chasing an unwilling Boynton--is funny. But I have to say the writing is odd--the individual stories are mostly downright weird, and most end abruptly, sometimes without resolution. Maybe MeTV could let us sample the other Desilu comedy of the 50s--December Bride.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:44 PM   #18
Ronny G
Forum Regular

The series is growing on me. Is it just me or did Crenna tone down his voice a bit. Either that, or I'm just getting used to it. It doesn't annoy me anymore. I do like the addition of Jesslyn Fax as Angela, and that running gag of the pet cat Minerva who understands english.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:06 PM   #19
Ronny G
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny G
Eve is too...um, for lack of a better word, masculine. She's not a girly-girl. Her delivery, voice, and poise reminds me of Bea Arthur. Nothing wrong with that. Just not my "cup of tea."

I thought I was a little too harsh when I said this, but my feelings were confirmed today while I was watching the Christmas episode. Connie returns a bottle of perfume to the department store, and the snooty saleslady is a little miffed.

SALESLADY: It's a lovely scent. What's the matter? A little too feminine for you?
CONNIE: Too feminine?
SALESLADY: You look like the rather self-reliant type. Maybe you want something a bit more rugged.

Last edited by Ronny G : 12-21-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:19 PM   #20
stevea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny G
The series is growing on me. Is it just me or did Crenna tone down his voice a bit. Either that, or I'm just getting used to it. It doesn't annoy me anymore. I do like the addition of Jesslyn Fax as Angela, and that running gag of the pet cat Minerva who understands english.

I agree that Crenna did tone it down. They probably got feedback and responded.

I'm thinking they brought Angela in when Jane Morgan started having health problems. To me she looks worse as time goes on, although Wiki says she lived until 1972.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #21
Hazel Anyday
Forum Regular

Cool I Still Don't Think It

Ronny G, those thoughts of Eve Arden never even crossed my mind. Probably because Iím very familiar with her character as she played it on radio, and Iíve heard many of the radio shows long ago (in the Ď70ís on tape, not in the Ď40ís, I ainít that old).

BUT, I saw that same Christmas episode last night and I remembered your comments and I thought Wow, how appropriate, this seems to have been written perfectly for that comment. Seems you werenít the only one who thought it. Though, honestly not me.

But, hey, all the years I watched Bewitched when it was first on back in the Ď60ís I never ever once considered Uncle Arthur light in the loafers, I just thought thatís the way he talks. Innocence, I love it.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:08 PM   #22
stevea

Is that the Christmas episode where that poor woman taking returns was visited by the entire cast? I saw that one a few weeks ago...pretty good! Yesterday, I saw the one with Connie's dream about the magic Christmas tree that transformed Boynton and Conklin...I guess that's the only way she'll ever get Mr. Boynton to kiss her...in her dreams!
Old 12-22-2016, 07:54 PM   #23
Hazel Anyday
Forum Regular

Heart Mistletoe and Mr. Boynton for Brooks

Well, that episode where the comments on Miss Brooks being slightly manly in the dialogue of the show must have been in the episode before that Christmas episode of the ďMagic TreeĒ. Because I just watched the Christmas Magic Tree episode today from my recording 2 days ago and no mention was made of Miss Brooks butchyness. Anyway, my comments still go, I never thought of Miss Brooks as butch, just her personality thatís all. After all she was always chasing Mr. Boynton not young fetching Miss Conklin. Miss Conklin seems to have been the only good looking one in the whole show. And that ainít saying all that much.
Old 12-23-2016, 03:26 AM   #24
Ronny G
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea
Is that the Christmas episode where that poor woman taking returns was visited by the entire cast? I saw that one a few weeks ago...pretty good! Yesterday, I saw the one with Connie's dream about the magic Christmas tree that transformed Boynton and Conklin...I guess that's the only way she'll ever get Mr. Boynton to kiss her...in her dreams!
Yes, that's the one. It's called, The Christmas Show from season 1 episode 13. Me-TV actually aired it the day after Thanksgiving, but I had recorded it and just got around to watching it. The other episode, The Magic Christmas Tree, was funny, too. I got a good laugh when Mr. Boynton grabbed Connie in his arms, gave her a dip and planted her with a kiss, because she was shocked and it was out of character for him, and then she wakes up squeezing Minerva the cat in her arms. Too funny!
Old 12-23-2016, 03:46 AM   #25
Ronny G
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Anyday
Ronny G, those thoughts of Eve Arden never even crossed my mind. Probably because Iím very familiar with her character as she played it on radio, and Iíve heard many of the radio shows long ago (in the Ď70ís on tape, not in the Ď40ís, I ainít that old).

BUT, I saw that same Christmas episode last night and I remembered your comments and I thought Wow, how appropriate, this seems to have been written perfectly for that comment. Seems you werenít the only one who thought it. Though, honestly not me.

She seemed to have a good sense of humor about her looks to allow them to joke about her being "rugged". I guess she knew she wasn't a glamour girl, and stayed true to herself. I just read a good interview with her done back in 1972, and she said she didn't want to be a leading lady after seeing what Rita Hayworth had to go through.
Here's a quote from the article:

JB: You once said you started out wanting to be one of the glamour girls then slowly changed your mind.
EA: I had an Eve Arden bit in Comrade X (1940) but Hedy Lamarr was completely frigid off and on camera. And then I was in for a few scenes in Ziegfeld Girl (1941) where I got to know Lana Turner a bit. But not Hedy Lamarr who was completely stand offish. Lana was a complete realist. Knew she was entirely a creation of the studio and she guessed [that] in time audiences would grow tired of her. She played cards with her makeup ladies between scenes and used rough sailor language. But there was no phoniness. With Rita Hayworth in Cover Girl (1944) I saw a very anxious young thing eager to succeed. Both girls had come up from poverty. Rita started out as a very young dancer in movies. Columbia shaved her hairline back and colored her hair a copper tone. She was given lessons on how to talk and out emerged this very sexy, if insecure, super star. Directors had to tell her how to do every movement. She was pliable. When she danced, it was magic. But her [singing] voice was always dubbed. I watched both Lana and Rita from afar and figured out it was better to remain just me.

http://www.classicimages.com/feature...9bb2963f4.html
Old 04-03-2017, 06:27 AM   #26
tlc38tlc38
Knock! Knock!

Watched this for the first time this morning. It was pretty good. I'm going to try and record as many of the episodes I can before they pull it.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:12 PM   #27
stevea

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc38tlc38
Watched this for the first time this morning. It was pretty good. I'm going to try and record as many of the episodes I can before they pull it.

Yeah, you gotta save these 50s shows while you can. Once it disappears, it's probably gone for good--and zero chance for a DVD issue.

It must be doing pretty well for them, though. When My Three Sone was on at this time (in its latest go round), it was yanked pretty quickly. OMB is on its 2nd round.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:56 PM   #28
Hazel Anyday
Forum Regular

Smile Last Night Both Mr. Wilsons Tomorrow They're Gone

Last night on Our Miss Brooks (ME TV) both Mr. Wilsons from Dennis The Menace were on the show!!! Episode was Lulu, the Pin-Up Boat 1.26. Hope you had a chance to see this.

If you're smart you'd better record this show, sure as shootin' it's going to disappear for decades and not reappear again till we're all great grandparents. One thing I learned a long long time ago, if you don't record a show when it's on and that means NOW you will most likely not see it again for decades. This has proven true for countless great old TV shows from the '50's and '60's that may pop up once and then disappear almost as fast as it appeared.

I literally waited almost 2 decades for My 3 Sons & Petticoat Junction to reappear (they're both now already gone) and waited more than 2 decades for Hazel to finally come back. When these old shows go they really go.

Funny how some God-Awful shows though NEVER EVER disappear and instead are re-run constantly everywhere, prime example MASH.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:58 PM   #29
stevea

OMB had been MIA way longer than My Three Sons. Even when MTS is around it is limited to seasons 6 thru 10...1-5 and 11-12 are reportedly no longer available in syndication...can't imagine why.

Yes, Joseph Kearns has several appearances on OMB. Funny, it never dawned on me that both future Mr. Wilsons were together here. Kearns had a lot of character roles in the 50s.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:29 PM   #30
Hazel Anyday
Forum Regular

Wink Captain Obvious Swoops Back

Yes, well 1st I never said I waited 2 decades for Our Miss Brooks. Why do people always seem to attribute things you said that you never did say? Is Captain Obvious needed every time I make a simple statement?

Fact is I had NEVER seen Our Miss Brooks before, I have heard the radio versions of it but never seen the TV version. I heard the radio version in the '70s when some stations played old time radio shows also heard it on audio tape back then. I don't think the TV Our Miss Brooks has ever been on since it left the airwaves or at least since the early early '60's as possibly a brief run of repeats. (I'm not that old that I saw '50's shows back in the '50's, though I did see them, if they were ever played that is, in the '60's. I did see '60's shows when they were originally on. I am that old. ) Our Miss Brooks I never saw till Me TV. Now any further explanations of what is patently already obvious?

Last edited by Hazel Anyday : 04-05-2017 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Clarification