Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

3rd Rock from the Sun Launches on Laff in July; The CW Fall 2018 Premiere Dates
NBC Fall 2018 Premiere Dates; Season 4 of Bounce Sitcom Premieres July 2
The History of Comedy Returns to CNN; Showtime Gets First Late Night Talk Show
Showtime Gets Don Cheadle Comedy; HBO Special Directed by Jerrod Carmichael Coming Soon
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 18, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Roseanne Spinoff One Step Closer to Reality; Netflix to Air New Season of Lucifer
Fri-Yay: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Finally Finds Its Best Self; All About the Washingtons with Rev Run Coming to Netflix
Paramount Network Comedy Scores in Ratings; Stan Against Evil Returns on Halloween for Season 3
WGN America Picks Up Two Original Series; Pop TV Orders New Comedy Florida Girls
Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee Returns; Canceled CBS Sitcoms Return on Saturday Nights

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June)

Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season Step by Step - The Complete First Season Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-25-2006, 03:05 PM   #1
Raisingdad2004
Forum Regular

Default Things you hate about Multi-Camera Sitcoms

For those who do not know, Multi-camera shows are shot on a sound stage with multiple cameras. For each camera to not appear in the shot, they are where the 4th wall of the set would be - hence why we usually only see 3 walls. Shows like Friends, Seinfeld & Frasier were multi camera.

1. Becuase the shows usually stick with existing sets, on stories where the family go out they usually wait until they get back to the house to discuss bad points of the evening (like 'I can't believe your behaviour tonight') when they could have easily just said it in the Car, or outside the resteraunt.

2. People only sit around one side of the table, sign of a lazy director.

Continue the list
Raisingdad2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:17 PM   #2
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

The sets look fake. And the houses are never proportional, even with other parts of the set (like the upstairs doesn't seem to fit with the downstairs...one thing that bugged me about Full House).
dawsongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:27 PM   #3
Raisingdad2004
Forum Regular

Even some single camera shows shoot on bad sets though, I don't think that single camera is used correctly unless you see all 4 walls of the set in a scene - otherwise, you might aswell use multi camera.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:01 AM   #4
Raisingdad2004
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by barwars
Not entirely. The sets used for Cheers and Friends, among other series, look on par with anything in a feature film.
Cheers was a good set, but you can't really believe the Friends lived in those apartments and they were always clean - they don't look like somebody lives there, then again Monica lives there.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:41 PM   #5
db108108
Teacher (for now)
Forum Regular

I hate the fact that they're usually not funny anymore.
db108108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:41 PM   #6
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Location: OXNARD, CA - WHERE THE DALLAS COWBOYS TRAIN & PRACTICE

Thanks to Desi Arnaz for developing the multi-camera technique.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:27 PM   #7
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by barwars
Not entirely. The sets used for Cheers look on par with anything in a feature film.
That's true. It looked like they spent money on that to make it look real.
dawsongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:09 PM   #8
Raisingdad2004
Forum Regular

The problem with the Cheers set was you had 2 lanes of traffic, next to the camera and far away from the camera (where you would enter tha 'bar', drink serving part of the bar) and so when characters would walk back there you would be watching from far away with the main part of the bar blocking view. It was a great set, but logistically not great for multi-camera.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:38 AM   #9
slackermonkey
the big yellow joint

Send a message via AIM to slackermonkey

I agree on the sets, for the most part, and the instances of staging that Raisingdad2004 mentioned.

Also, the lighting. Everything looks so goddamn bright. I like experimenting with different sources of light depending on the scene. It really adds something to the mood and atmosphere of a scene.

But mostly, everything in multi-camera seems too rigid and limiting nowadays. Single camera offers more opportunities in terms of location, directorial style and usually allows you to do things like bigger stunts.

I still have a soft spot for multi-camera sitcoms, but to me, single camera seems more exciting and open.

TV on DVD Checklist:
05/09 - Scrubs: The Complete Third Season
05/30 - Joey: The Complete First Season
06/13 - Cheers: The Complete Eighth Season
06/13 - Frasier: The Complete Eighth Season
06/20 - Justice League: Season 2
07/25 - Animaniacs: Volume 1
10/?? - Scrubs: The Complete Fourth Season
12/06 - Animaniacs: Volume 2
slackermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:41 PM   #10
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisingdad2004
For those who do not know, Multi-camera shows are shot on a sound stage with multiple cameras. For each camera to not appear in the shot, they are where the 4th wall of the set would be - hence why we usually only see 3 walls. Shows like Friends, Seinfeld & Frasier were multi camera.

1. Becuase the shows usually stick with existing sets, on stories where the family go out they usually wait until they get back to the house to discuss bad points of the evening (like 'I can't believe your behaviour tonight') when they could have easily just said it in the Car, or outside the resteraunt.

2. People only sit around one side of the table, sign of a lazy director.

Continue the list
Multi-Cam gives you much more easy cookie-cutter formats. These are filmed on a sound-stage, much like a theater play. So all of the microphones are in place, every angle is perfectly staged, all of the lighting is pre-set, all of the props are always facing the correct direction, all of the actors know where to look, and it's really easy to cut between takes. Do 2 or 3 lines for that camera. Okay, reset. Now 2 or 3 lines for this other camera, and back and forth. The whole process is just much more controlled and streamlined (thus cheaper). This saves costs because you can get all the angles you want in fewer takes, so it takes less time to film.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:26 PM   #11
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever

I prefer multi-camera comedies to single-camera comedies. Having said that, I don't like not seeing a fourth wall. For example, the way the ladies sat in the kitchen in The Golden Girls was ridiculous: all four squished together on three sides of the table, or Sophia standing by herself at the island, or at the stove all the time.

Roseanne does show the fourth wall in the opening, and Friends did show the fourth wall briefly in the episode where Chandler breaks into the closet with the green door in the back, but typically, we don't ever see a fourth wall, outside of those shows.

(And as a side note, it also drives me crazy that exterior sets or locations rarely match the interior. But that goes for many shows, not just multi-camera sitcoms).
RetroGuy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:40 PM   #12
stevea

Some multi camera sets are really good, Two and A Half Men--superb. Some, pretty bad, Everybody Loves Raymond--D minus. Most single camera sets look more realistic--the biggest reason is squared-off walls that don't look like they're set up for a play.

On-location scenes is the advantage most single camera comedies have. Most multi-camera comedies never leave the the soundstage (there are exceptions once in awhile, of course).

I agree with that last post about exterior shots not matching the soundstage sets--in either format. That exterior shot of the My Three Sons California house bugs me--what room is that first floor window to the left of the front door?
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:52 PM   #13
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea
I agree with that last post about exterior shots not matching the soundstage sets--in either format. That exterior shot of the My Three Sons California house bugs me--what room is that first floor window to the left of the front door?
YEP!

And why does the Huxtable house have three aboveground floors, but there are only two aboveground floors inside?

Even worse: how does the Tanner house have an attic above the second aboveground floor?!

RetroGuy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:55 PM   #14
Mr. Television
15 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

That there aren't as many as there used to be.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:10 AM   #15
Edward216

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsongirl
The sets look fake. And the houses are never proportional, even with other parts of the set (like the upstairs doesn't seem to fit with the downstairs...one thing that bugged me about Full House).
The thing that was weird about Full House was the 2 stairways. They had the stairway to the second story in the living room, and then another in the kitchen. OK, so having two sets of stairs is weird in itself. But the other thing that's weird if you'll notice that when they used either stairway to get to the upstairs they both seemed to enter into the same area in the upstairs hallway. LOL. They didn't really think that one through.

Ed.
Edward216 is offline   Reply With Quote