Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The War at Home links at Sitcoms Online / The War at Home Photo Gallery

The War at Home - The Complete First Season

Buy The War at Home - The Complete First Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 2000s Sitcoms > The War at Home
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ION Television Expands Hours in January 2015; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of December 22, 2014)
FXX to Launch New Late Night Animation Block; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Star to Host Fox Show
Bounce Acquires Sitcoms for January 2015, Roc, Different World, Parent 'Hood, Hughleys; ABC Family Picks Up New Drama Recovery Road
Nick at Nite Adds Everybody Loves Raymond January 1; George Lopez Hosts CW Dog Show
NBC Midseason 2015 Schedule with One Big Happy, Undateable, etc; FX Orders Donald Glover Pilot
Week 12 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: Must See TV on NBC Officially Dead; Enlisted and Back in the Game on MOD DVD

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series Family Ties - The Complete Series Happy Days - The Sixth Season The Jeffersons - The Complete Series Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series

10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonder Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series / Review
11/04 - The Exes - Seasons 1 & 2
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series / Review
11/06 - Kenan & Kel - The Best of Seasons 3 & 4
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dharma & Greg - The Complete Season 2
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Broad City - Season 1
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/02 - The Simpsons - The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - Family Guy - Volume 13
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-28-2005, 11:32 AM   #1
Lurker
Frequent Poster

Default Spanking the Kids

I am having a hard time deciding if the show is real liberal or it is making fun of liberals.

Younger kids should be spanked if they deserve it. But kids the age of the ones in this show are way past spanking.

The show does bring up a good point. If the parants have no way of punishing the kids, how can they possibly have any control?

And don't get me started about time outs!!! That is not a punishment.

View My DVD Collection
Visit My Myspace Page
Old 11-28-2005, 03:04 PM   #2
Ojuice5001
Occasional Poster

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker
I am having a hard time deciding if the show is real liberal or it is making fun of liberals.

I'd have to go with saying it's both.

Quote:
Younger kids should be spanked if they deserve it. But kids the age of the ones in this show are way past spanking.

The evidence doesn't suggest that there are any long-term benefits from a parenting style that includes spanking. Really, I don't think most parents understand the psychology of punishment well enough that they have any business administering spankings. I guess Dave proved that last night, huh?

Quote:
The show does bring up a good point. If the parants have no way of punishing the kids, how can they possibly have any control?

Certainly that is a problem. One answer might be that it's all right for parents not to have control of their kids, that Hillary can dress in skimpy outfits and Mike stay up late while their father is reduced to merely giving advice. Another answer would be that some kind of coercive controls on the father's part are acceptable.

Of course, our society can't decide which of these philosophies, if either, it believes in. If the role of parents is to give their kids advice, then we need better ways of ensuring that the kids take that advice seriously (certainly what we have now isn't good enough). On the other hand, if it's good for parents to take a more disciplinary role, then we probably need better ideas of what kinds of discipline are a good idea.

Quote:
And don't get me started about time outs!!! That is not a punishment.

Well, in the old-style authoritarian family, a time out often meant more than just being sent to your room. It was likely to mean the kid standing in some uncomfortable position, or getting nothing to eat for the rest of the day. Punishments get milder as time goes on; just like spankings themselves went from blows with a belt or cane, to the milder slaps on the butt. You have to pay attention to that historical perspective.

And don't forget that if we're talking about something along the lines of two kids who are angry enough at each other to come to blows, then a time out is very effective at getting them to calm down. It's valuable for that reason even though it's not a "punishment."
Old 11-28-2005, 03:41 PM   #3
Lurker
Frequent Poster

To be honest, I dont have any kids. But I have seen the difference between kids raised with discipline and those who are raised without it.

I am really worried that all the new grown ups that are starting to take contol of life (20 to 30 years old) are those who are more likely to have been raised the "no discipline" way. I am afraid that these new adults are getting jobs, getting into politics etc. This is the start of the decline of civilization. These new adults think the world revolves around them and there are no consequenses for thier actions.

but I hope to be proved wrong.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:36 PM   #4
lockdown06
Forum Regular

I was laughing at this.....I wish it was only "spankings" i remember when i was about 7 the babysitter spanked me and i laughed....lets say when you were like me you got immune quick.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:01 PM   #5
livsforluv
Banned!!
Banned

mutual respect warrants control and a much lower need to use it.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:25 PM   #6
coffield3
<3

This show sucks really it does!!
Old 03-11-2007, 09:32 AM   #7
friendsfan77
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojuice5001
The evidence doesn't suggest that there are any long-term benefits from a parenting style that includes spanking. Really, I don't think most parents understand the psychology of punishment well enough that they have any business administering spankings. I guess Dave proved that last night, huh?
Exactly. I would say that if a parent wants to consider this method of punishment, they need to make sure they really know what they're getting into. They really shouldn't realize that it's too much for them after the fact.