Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Californication links at Sitcoms Online / Californication Photo Gallery

Californication - The First Season

Buy Californication - The First Season on DVD
Californication - The Second Season

Buy Californication - The Second Season on DVD
Californication - The Third Season

Buy Californication - The Third Season on DVD
Californication - The Fourth Season

Buy Californication - The Fourth Season on DVD
Californication - The Fifth Season

Buy Californication - The Fifth Season on DVD
Californication - The Sixth Season

Buy Californication - The Sixth Season on DVD
Californication - The Final (Seventh) Season

Buy Californication - The Final (Seventh) Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Current Sitcoms > Californication
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

FX Fall 2014: Mike & Molly Reruns Premiere; Jerry Seinfeld's Single Shots on Crackle
Summer 2014 Week 9 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Community Season 6 Plans; The Equalizer Complete Series on DVD
Blossom, Big Bang Theory Star Hosting Candid Camera; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 28, 2014)
Here's Lucy Heading to Cozi TV; The CW Drops Comedies Seed, Backpackers
TVGN Adds Love Boat, Wings, Family Ties, and More; Hallmark's Lisa Whelchel/Kim Fields Movie Scores
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: FX, Includes 12-Day Simpsons Marathon on FXX; TCM Remembers James Garner
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: Fox, The CW; Remembering TV Legend James Garner
Summer 2014 Week 8 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Enlisted to Return as Online Series?; Batman and Wonder Years DVD Updates
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: CBS; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 21, 2014)
TV Land's Candid Camera Premieres Aug. 11; NBC Gives Debra Messing Series a Preview Airing
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: ABC, Includes Fall 2014 Premiere Dates; Hot in Cleveland Animated Episode to Air July 30 on TV Land
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC Networks; More Info on Apt. 23 on Logo, With 8 Unaired Episodes
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC; Entourage Coming to VH1 Classic

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July)

07/01 - American Dad! - Volume 9
07/08 - The Soul Man - The Complete First Season
07/15 - Diff'rent Strokes - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 and 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-10-2008, 10:22 PM   #1
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Default David Duchovny gets real life on "Californication"

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - For former "The X-Files" star David Duchovny, the television show's slogan "The Truth Is Out There" had extra meaning during his final year on the Fox network playing an FBI agent tracking space aliens on Earth.

"The truth" meant finding an opportunity to portray a character grounded in real life, while "out there" meant the realm of cable television, where Duchovny's new program, "Californication," airs on Showtime.

This Sunday "Californication" will compete for a Golden Globe award for best television comedy or musical after just one season on the air, and Duchovny is up for best actor in a comedy or musical.

"I was really happy for the show and everyone involved," Duchovny, 47, told Reuters. "The thing about any award show is it's about exposure bringing new people to our program."

"Californication" tells of the everyday life of novelist Hank Moody (Duchovny), who lives in Los Angeles and is divorced from his wife. Yet, Moody remains in love with her and they share duties raising a teen-age daughter.

In its first season, Moody was in a writer's funk because his best-selling book had been turned into a silly Hollywood movie that became a hit. He finally produces a new novel only to have it stolen by a young girl who seduced him.

Not surprisingly, "Californication" covers sexual material, shows nudity and uses obscenities, all of which can be done on cable networks but not broadcasters like Fox that are held to stricter content standards on public airwaves.

Duchovny said that toward the end of the ninth and final season of "X-Files" in 2002, he had grown tired of hearing critics laud cable shows such as "The Sopranos" because of their use of street language and real-life situations.

"SOPRANOS" CHEATED

"I used to kind of bemoan the fact they were cheating. They had the richness of the English language and we did not. Now that I get to, it's fun," Duchovny said.

Duchovny shot to stardom in the early 1990s as Fox Mulder, the plain-spoken FBI agent who probed strange cases of aliens visiting Earth. It was a huge hit, earning many awards and nominations for the show and Duchovny.

When it ended, Duchovny kept working but not on network television, as might have been expected from an A-list star.

He took a small role in HBO's "Sex and the City," worked in some low-budget and art movies such as Steven Soderbergh's "Full Frontal" and wrote and directed "House of D," a coming-of-age story about a boy living in New York City.

"The fact that I was in a very mainstream (television) hit was never by design in any way," he said.

Before "X-Files," he won acclaim for offbeat roles such as a transvestite on the television series "Twin Peaks." He also was the narrator for erotic series, "Red Shoes Diaries," and in two decades as an actor, he has shown his talent in a variety of dramas and comedies.

He said Moody appealed to him because the character has a dual nature as a deeply flawed man who also is charming, likable and armed with a sharp wit.

"I've been saying for years, 'I'm funny,'" Duchovny said.

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet