Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Too Close for Comfort links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Too Close for Comfort Photo Gallery

Too Close for Comfort - The Complete First Season

Buy Too Close for Comfort - The Complete First Season on DVD
Too Close for Comfort - The Complete Second Season

Buy Too Close for Comfort - The Complete Second Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Too Close for Comfort

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

getTV 2018 Holiday Marathons Schedule; truTV Comedy Returns for 3rd Season
Freeform and ABC's 2018 25 Days of Christmas Schedule; The CW Orders Full Seasons of All Freshman Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 12, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Vanessa Bayer Set to Co-Create and Star in Showtime Comedy; Orange is the New Black Sequel in Discussions
Fri-Yay: When Is It Time to Stop Looking at Live Ratings?; NBC Sets and Shifts January 2019 Lineup
COZI TV's Unexpected Guests Thanksgiving Marathon; ABC Tuesday Comedies Get Full Seasons
TBS Pairs Shaq and Ken Jeong for Comedy Pilot; FXX Schedules Final Season of You're the Worst

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-06-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Question Was it a Mistake to Change Too Close for Comfort into the Ted Knight Show?

The show seemed to lack heart once they retooled the show. Yes, the brought Monroe Ficus with them for comedy, but, I think the dynamic of Henry with his two daughters was key. Besides, by the time they switched formats, Ted Knight was sick with cancer. What do you think?

Here's a Synopsis of the show:

In late 1985, several changes were made before further episodes were produced, including changing the show's title to The Ted Knight Show (not to be confused with the short-lived 1978 CBS show of the same name). Jackie and Sara were written out of the show, and Henry and Muriel, along with Monroe, move to a house in Marin County, north of San Francisco. Henry leaves the cartoonist profession and becomes editor and 49% owner of a newspaper, The Marin Bugler, while Muriel takes a job with the paper as a photographer. Hope Stinson (Pat Carroll), owns the other 51%, creating friction with Henry. Lisa (Lisa Antille) was also added to the cast as the Rushes' maid and eventual romantic interest for Monroe. Along with the new title, a new opening was filmed in Marin County. The theme song was re-recorded in a smoother style.

First-run episodes of The Ted Knight Show were broadcast starting in April 1986. A total of 22 episodes were produced prior to the summer of 1986. The revamped show continued to be successful and was scheduled to resume production for another season, but Ted Knight, who had been battling colon cancer since 1985, died on August 26, 1986, aged 62, and the series was not continued. First-run episodes continued to air through September 1986.
Attached Images

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:30 AM   #2
Big3sCompanyFan
Banned
Banned!!

Wow, I never even knew TCFC morphed into the Ted Knight Show. I had never ever heard of the Ted Knight Show until your post!!

I have not even seen more than the first 2 seasons of TCFC and I'd really like to but how??!? They haven't released more seasons on DVD.

And how could I ever see the Ted Knight Show??
Big3sCompanyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
Jude The Obscure
Retired

I never got to see the show in "The Ted Knight Show" phase.......if this ever comes out, it will be like brand news episodes.
Jude The Obscure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:01 AM   #4
70s show watcher

yes after the girls left the show became boring and bland
70s show watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:35 AM   #5
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

From what little I saw, it just wasn't the same.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
Big3sCompanyFan
Banned
Banned!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude The Obscure
I never got to see the show in "The Ted Knight Show" phase.......if this ever comes out, it will be like brand news episodes.
Yes, it will be like brand new episodes to me too.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
Big3sCompanyFan
Banned
Banned!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
Who is Deanna Marie Klann Salcius??
Old 04-09-2010, 07:44 AM   #8
FELLNORM
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Watch some of them on YouTube on my channel: FELLNORM (I wonder how long they let them be there). I don´t think they were worse than the original TCFCs, just different.
FELLNORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #9
Big3sCompanyFan
Banned
Banned!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FELLNORM
Watch some of them on YouTube on my channel: FELLNORM (I wonder how long they let them be there). I donīt think they were worse than the original TCFCs, just different.
Thanks but it would be better to watch them on DVD of course but since that's such a rare show I think I'll check your channel out.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
Big3sCompanyFan
Banned
Banned!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FELLNORM
Watch some of them on YouTube on my channel: FELLNORM (I wonder how long they let them be there). I donīt think they were worse than the original TCFCs, just different.
I went to your channel but couldn't find the Ted Knight Show.

Can you please give me the direct link?

I found the Ropers but it was only clips that were a few minutes long and not the entire episode.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:33 AM   #11
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg6mistk6m4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55fI0WAPTtk#t=00m29s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_4dstM6iHU#t=00m28s
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:06 AM   #12
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Was the transition from Too Close for Comfort to The Ted Knight Show ever explained on screen? Like why did Henry and Muriel (with Monroe and young Andrew in tow) decide to move out of San Francisco in favor of nearby Mill Valley? How exactly did Henry go from being an illustrator to a newspaper editor, which presumably would require you to be a great writer at first? We know that Jackie moved to Italy to focus on her fashion career, but what happened to Sara?
Old 09-30-2018, 02:54 AM   #13
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79 View Post
It seemed like they were trying to change the show from essentially a domestic/family sitcom to a work sitcom a la Ted Knight's old show The Mary Tyler Moore Show. The problem is I suppose is that the work stuff is generally forgettable. This goes back to my earlier point that Ted Knight needed to be surrounded by stronger actors and a strong supporting cast like on MTM to make it work.