Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Shows to Catch Up on This Summer; The Conners Coming to ABC Tuesdays This Fall
3rd Rock from the Sun Launches on Laff in July; The CW Fall 2018 Premiere Dates
NBC Fall 2018 Premiere Dates; Season 4 of Bounce Sitcom Premieres July 2
The History of Comedy Returns to CNN; Showtime Gets First Late Night Talk Show
Showtime Gets Don Cheadle Comedy; HBO Special Directed by Jerrod Carmichael Coming Soon
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 18, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Roseanne Spinoff One Step Closer to Reality; Netflix to Air New Season of Lucifer
Fri-Yay: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Finally Finds Its Best Self; All About the Washingtons with Rev Run Coming to Netflix
Paramount Network Comedy Scores in Ratings; Stan Against Evil Returns on Halloween for Season 3
WGN America Picks Up Two Original Series; Pop TV Orders New Comedy Florida Girls

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June)

Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season Step by Step - The Complete First Season Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-28-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Exclamation Girl Must Eat Every 15 Minutes To Live

http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-girl-mu...,6627335.story

Staff Writer
11:46 AM EDT, June 28, 2010

An Austin, Texas girl is living with an unusual condition. She must eat every 15 minutes in order to stay alive.

21-year-old Lizzie Velasquez has a rare condition which prevents her from gaining weight, even though she eats up to 60 small meals a day.

Velasquez, a communications student, downs between 5,000 and 8,000 calories daily, but can't put on any weight.

Doctors once speculated she may suffer from De Barsy syndrome, but ruled it out when she showed no signs of learning difficulties, which is one of the symptoms.

Velasquez, who barely tips the scales above 60 pounds, was born four weeks premature, and doctors found there was minimal amniotic fluid protecting her in the womb.

In fact, they're not even sure how she survived.

Now, it's believed Velasquez may have a form of Neonatal Progeroid Syndrome, which causes accelerated aging, fat loss from the face and body and tissue degeneration.

She's now the subject of a genetic study, run by the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

I can somewhat relate to her. I'm 5'8" and barely weigh 100 lbs. I just cannot keep weight on and am much more likely to lose it than gain any. But I can't imagine having to literally eat 8,000 calories a day every 15 minutes. How does she get a decent amount of sleep? Do they have to put a feeding tube in her overnight?
Old 06-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

What a horrible affliction. I can't imagine living that way. Really makes you think about all the stupid things you gripe about on a daily basis, doesn't it?

Best wishes to the young lady. She's braver than I'd ever be, and a heck of a lot more resilient!
Old 06-28-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

^ AMEN!!!! Plus she's a student, too. God bless her!!!!
Old 06-28-2010, 10:44 PM   #5
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
I can somewhat relate to her. I'm 5'8" and barely weigh 100 lbs. I just cannot keep weight on and am much more likely to lose it than gain any. But I can't imagine having to literally eat 8,000 calories a day every 15 minutes. How does she get a decent amount of sleep? Do they have to put a feeding tube in her overnight?
Yeah, I've been pretty thin my whole life too except a brief year or year and a half in high school were I 'chubbed out' a bit.

It's kind of a Catch-22. The only way I've ever really put on a lot of weight was to eat stuff that was really bad for me, and that raises cholesterol and glucose levels, so you don't want that. But if I avoid all that stuff like we are cautioned to do, I stay pretty thin. I guess it's better to be thin, but it would be nice to be able to strike a happy medium.
Retro4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:21 PM   #6
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro4Life
Yeah, I've been pretty thin my whole life too except a brief year or year and a half in high school were I 'chubbed out' a bit.

It's kind of a Catch-22. The only way I've ever really put on a lot of weight was to eat stuff that was really bad for me, and that raises cholesterol and glucose levels, so you don't want that. But if I avoid all that stuff like we are cautioned to do, I stay pretty thin. I guess it's better to be thin, but it would be nice to be able to strike a happy medium.
Exactly. I wish I had some softness and curves to me instead of being all angles and bones, but this is the way God made me. I have to live with it and eat all I can.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:44 PM   #7
Family Ties Forever!
Forum Veteran

Wow, that is sad. I don't know how she can sleep if she has to eat every 15 minutes. I assume she must have a feeding tube.

Quote:
She's now the subject of a genetic study, run by the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas.
I know what that's like. Ugh. It's not fun. All the tests, etc.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:15 AM   #8
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Ties Forever!
Wow, that is sad. I don't know how she can sleep if she has to eat every 15 minutes. I assume she must have a feeding tube.

I know what that's like. Ugh. It's not fun. All the tests, etc.
I know how awful it is when you are clearly sick and the doctors don't know what you have. I came down with some kind of mysterious virus in the fall of 2000 and was ill for months. I was tested for diabetes, mono, anemia, you name it. I had blood drawn, I had a CT scan, I had an ultrasound to see if I had gall stones. So I can only imagine how bad this poor girl has it - and she's lived with this condition her whole life!!
Old 06-29-2010, 01:46 AM   #9
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

Quote:
Exactly. I wish I had some softness and curves to me instead of being all angles and bones, but this is the way God made me. I have to live with it and eat all I can.

That's a great attitude. Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes!

Just curious; are your folks pretty thin? That usually has a genetic component. Both my mom and dad gained weight in later years, but up till age 50 or so were quite thin.
Retro4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:53 AM   #10
cyberalias81
Frequent Poster

Did you ever find out what you had? I hope you're doing better now.
cyberalias81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:20 AM   #11
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro4Life
That's a great attitude. Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes!

Just curious; are your folks pretty thin? That usually has a genetic component. Both my mom and dad gained weight in later years, but up till age 50 or so were quite thin.
My mom was pretty thin when she was growing up (not quite as thin as me, though) and didn't really start to fill out until she had kids. My dad has always been pretty sturdy. My sister has never been fat, but she's had to go on several diets to lose a few pounds. Now that she's a mother of a 4-year-old and an 11-month-old, running after them is a great way to burn off calories. My brother is tall and lanky - but since he turned 25 has started to get a bit of a gut on him, which is why he's been cutting out a lot of fast food.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:23 AM   #12
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberalias81
Did you ever find out what you had? I hope you're doing better now.
Thank you!! I was finally diagnosed with chronic pain and fatigue, which is still something I battle every day. I also have recurring bouts with anorexia, which is also an uphill battle. I just try to take things a day at a time. That's why I can't even imagine what this girl is going through. She is one brave gal!!!
Old 06-29-2010, 09:25 AM   #13
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Her website, which chronicles her day to day challenges, is:

http://aboutlizzie.com
Old 07-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #14
James28
Michael Jackson - DCS Leader

Quote:
I'm sure you would have had a more perfect body so you would wear more beautiful clothes than you do now.

About Lizzie, she looks like an impoverished girl from a large slum area at a city in an LDC suffering from secere malnutrition. Having to eat every hour, half-hour, or quarter hour in order to live...that means she must eat ANY kind of food and she is unable to gain weight. What is she, Peg Bundy? (Peggy eats tons of bonbons without getting fat.) Lizzie must eat 5-10 boxes of bonbons a day in order to live.

Eating every 15 minutes = Eating 96 times a day.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #15
gritz01
Occasional Poster

if that's what can make her live then she must to eat every 15 minutes.
gritz01 is offline   Reply With Quote