Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

CBS Pulls Living Biblically; First Wives Club Comedy Series Coming to Paramount Network
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of April 23, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Goldbergs Spinoff Happening After All; Grey's Anatomy Renewed for Fifteenth Season
Fri-Yay: Superstore is Doing the Will They/Won't They Story Arc Right; Laff Pays Tribute to Harry Anderson
CBS Picks Up 11 More Returning Series for 2018-19; BET 2018 Upfront
Carol Burnett Gets Netflix Series; Futurama on Syfy, Marathon on 4/20
The Goldbergs 1990s Spinoff Ordered for ABC; Remembering Harry Anderson of Night Court
It's a Living Coming to Logo on April 21; Hollywood Darlings Returns Wednesday on Pop
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of April 16, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mad About You Reboot One Step Closer to Reality; The Simpsons Addresses Concerns About Character of Apu

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March/April)

Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Seventh Season Green Acres - The Complete Fifth Season Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season One Day at a Time - Season Two Perfect Strangers  - The Complete Third Season

02/06 - All in the Family - Seasons 1-5
02/06 - Bosom Buddies - The Complete Series
02/06 - Women of the House - Complete 12 Episode Series
02/13 - Broad City - Season 4
02/13 - Three's Company - The Complete Series - Come and Knock on Our Door Collection
02/27 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Seventh Season
02/27 - Green Acres - The Complete Fifth Season
02/27 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
03/06 - Atlanta - The Complete First Season
03/06 - Curb Your Enthusiasm - The Complete Ninth Season
03/13 - The New Adventures of Old Christine - The Complete First Season
03/27 - One Day at a Time - Season Two
04/03 - Ballers - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/03 - 90's Sitcom (Just Shoot Me!/The Larry Sanders Show/Wings) Starter Set - Season 1 & 2 Bundle
04/10 - Vice Principals - The Compelte Series
04/17 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-25-2017, 10:37 PM   #31
RetroGuy2000
Forum Regular

Well, the thing about the Golden Girls is that the continuity errors are so obvious. How hard would it have been for the writers to keep track of the girls' children, after all? We're not talking about one-time events or one-off characters.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:29 PM   #32
bandonurse
Forum Regular

I think the fact that The Golden Girls episodes are watched over, and over and over again, makes their plot holes much more obvious.

I doubt I would have noticed the "Nylund/vs/Lindstrum issue if I had only seen it once during it's original run. Nor would I have wondered why both Michael and Kate seemed so young, despite Dorothy having been married when she was pregnant....over 38 years earlier. And the whole "rooster insemination" thing makes me laugh at myself for not noticing years ago!

So many unexplained things (like Michael actually getting younger between episodes) just make me laugh all the harder. Bottom line.....I will always love the Golden Girls. Imperfections and all.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:12 AM   #33
GGFan51
Occasional Poster

Yes- Blanche's children was a problem. It appears she has 6 kids, but the 3 sons were not mentioned until after the first one was revealed- not such a huge deal. The problems with the age of Janet's character(she was married and had a 14 year old son David), but two young daughters under 10 was irritating because both of those daughters appear in the same season and there's no mention of their connection. It makes sense if she married young (let's say she was 20 when she had David, 33 when she had Melissa, and 35 when she had Sarah), but I always wish there were more details about her in general, especially why she and Blanche had such a turbulent relationship.

With Rebecca, I prefer the Season Three Rebecca much more then the season 5 and 6 Rebecca- I think they could have had her be the same actress and it would have been much more interesting or have had Blanche have another daughter from the start for the new actress to play. I never could really dig into Rebecca's new storylines.

Rose's children are not seen enough, but I actually am alarmed by those who call Kirsten greedy- she was primarily upset because it appeared that her mother had mishandled her father's money, NOT that she wasn't getting a big enough inheritance. I enjoyed the actress who played the role in that episode too and would have preferred to see her back at a more recent time. I liked the actress who played Kirsten in Season 7, but the character's inconsistency's bothered me.

The biggest question is what happened to Dorothy's first child- it could not have been Kate or Michael given the timeline. Did Dorothy miscarry, but decide to stay with Stan anyway? That wouldn't be that shocking given her attachment to him throughout the series. The Golden Girls Wiki says that the child was a girl whose name Kirsten Zbornack and that they had a fall out, but that is NEVER mentioned in the series at all. The actors who played her kids were all fine- I think the second actress who played Kate was more fitting for the role, but I personally prefer the first actress.

They should have stuck with the first actress for Gloria and used her more in the series.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:24 AM   #34
GGFan51
Occasional Poster

With Blanche's family, I don't mind the Big Daddy differences at all really. Her not mentioning she has a brother until his appearance in Season 4 and him not making an appearance at his father's funeral episode in Season 5 was kind of ridiculous, although obviously the focus had to be on Blanche and on her argument with Virginia. I'm glad Charmeane finally made an appearance and was indeed great( had many of Blanche's worst qualities), but I think they could have cast an actress who looked a little older. Barbara Babcock is only three years younger then Rue in real life, but she looks like 45 in the episode which we know that Blanche is 10 years older then that.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:09 AM   #35
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGFan51
I actually am alarmed by those who call Kirsten greedy- she was primarily upset because it appeared that her mother had mishandled her father's money, NOT that she wasn't getting a big enough inheritance. I enjoyed the actress who played the role in that episode too and would have preferred to see her back at a more recent time. I liked the actress who played Kirsten in Season 7, but the character's inconsistency's bothered me.

I much prefer season 1's Kirsten over season 7's. Part of that I guess is the inconsistency, as well; Kirsten loved Dorothy and Blanche when she met them, and she totally understood then why Rose wanted to live with them.

Quote:
The biggest question is what happened to Dorothy's first child- it could not have been Kate or Michael given the timeline.

It was Kate. The timeline is just one of the many inconsistencies.

Quote:
The Golden Girls Wiki says that the child was a girl whose name Kirsten Zbornack and that they had a fall out, but that is NEVER mentioned in the series at all. The actors who played her kids were all fine- I think the second actress who played Kate was more fitting for the role, but I personally prefer the first actress.

That is utter fiction. How the heck is that in a GG Wiki??

Quote:
They should have stuck with the first actress for Gloria and used her more in the series.

I liked the first Gloria better, too. She's so obnoxious to Dorothy in Dorothy's bedroom at night asking Dorothy if she's sure she's not jealous of her over several things better in her own life (jeez, who asks that??), but her delivery is in such a way that we don't dislike her. Very interesting.

The book "Golden Girls Forever" quotes one of the writers or producers as saying they purposely did not have a show bible (!), because that gave writers the leeway to write anything they wanted for an episode. Well, I think that backfired big time. The biggest criticism of the show is its glaring inconsistencies, which makes the writers look sloppy in that respect. I know they didn't foresee DVD back then, but they had to know people were recording on VHS at home and would notice. Oh well, lol.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:02 PM   #36
schmave
Forum Regular

Quote:
The biggest question is what happened to Dorothy's first child- it could not have been Kate or Michael given the timeline. Did Dorothy miscarry, but decide to stay with Stan anyway? That wouldn't be that shocking given her attachment to him throughout the series. The Golden Girls Wiki says that the child was a girl whose name Kirsten Zbornack and that they had a fall out, but that is NEVER mentioned in the series at all. The actors who played her kids were all fine- I think the second actress who played Kate was more fitting for the role, but I personally prefer the first actress.

I've never read anything about a Kirsten Zbornak anywhere. If such a character did exist, why would she have the same name as Rose's most prominently mentioned child?
This is a lot like those sources that say Sophia's maiden name was "Grisanti." That or any other maiden name is never mentioned once during the series and I honestly have no idea where that particular name came from. Was it mentioned on Golden Palace?
At the very least, whoever has contributed to the Golden Girls Wikia has taken a lot of liberty when it comes to character history, especially the histories of Sophia and her relatives.
As for the actresses who played Gloria and Kirsten, I prefer the original in both cases and by far the original Kirsten.