Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

WLNY's The Odd Couple Marathon on New Year's; ABC Orders More Episodes of Most Comedies
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 17, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: The Conners Second Season Looking Likely; Apple to Produce New Peanuts Content
Fri-Yay: Where Will The Good Place Go Next?; Everything's Gonna Be Okay at Freeform
ABC Mid-Season 2019 Schedule; Amy Sedaris Laffer Returns Feb. 19 on truTV
ABC Picks Up Comedy Starring Lake Bell, Dax Shepard; EPIX Dark Comedy Gets 3rd Season
Lifetime Brings in the Stars for Winter Movies; Celebs Line Up for CBS All Access' Twilight Zone

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/16 - Man with a Plan - Season One
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
12/04 - Family Guy - Season Sixteen
12/04 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Sixth Season
12/18 - Our Cartoon President - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-20-2011, 01:54 AM   #1
clj2

Default Changes to the Sophia character

Did anyone else notice the way Estelle Getty/Sophia "mellowed out" in the series? In the first seasons, she was extremely blunt, often rude, and REALLY had a sharp delivery (this was extremely evident in the first season). In the latter seasons, she seemed more mellow and like "one of the girls", but her original personality remained, although more toned-down. I wonder why the character was changed? I preferred her in the first couple of seasons much more.

clj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
JR1
Forum Regular

Definitely. Aside from that, her appearance even changed some in the 6th and 7th seasons- not sure if that was because of the dementia. Also, I didn't like the wigs as much in those seasons as much as the other seasons.

Dorothy also wasn't as abrasive/sarcastic in later seasons as she had been in the first four- in season 5, part of that may have been related to the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. In seasons 6 and 7,she got a little bit back, but still not the same. That also could have been related to the change in writers.
JR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:33 AM   #3
clj2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1
Definitely. Aside from that, her appearance even changed some in the 6th and 7th seasons- not sure if that was because of the dementia. Also, I didn't like the wigs as much in those seasons as much as the other seasons.

Dorothy also wasn't as abrasive/sarcastic in later seasons as she had been in the first four- in season 5, part of that may have been related to the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. In seasons 6 and 7,she got a little bit back, but still not the same. That also could have been related to the change in writers.
Yeah, her wigs had more of a curly appearance. I also noticed her accent was toned down as well. She went from being more of an extra to the 3 girls to acting like one of the girls.

Dorothy's changes I haven't noticed, but I sort of do since you mentioned it. As a huge fan of Maude, I noticed that in the earlier seasons, especially the first episode, she acted a lot like her at times. Her appearance was not good in season 5 either (she greatly improved in 7).
Old 01-25-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
djhsolara
Frequent Poster

I would agree on this with Sophia. In fact, to me it seems like the whole idea of the damage from her stroke (where she lost the capability of censoring what she says) was completely gone after the first season.
djhsolara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:57 AM   #5
clj2

Yeah, they totally abandoned that idea.

Here's a decent comparison....here's Sophia in the earlier seasons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKA_ZunYHIg

and the latter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvYK1...eature=related

Something's just....different. Maybe it was just age and her health.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:51 AM   #6
TMC
Forum Celebrity

I think Estelle was good for the role, but the writing and character type had A LOT to do with her success. If you watch her in scenes, she is clearly at the bottom of the acting pact of the show. She could deliver a zinger with gusto but lacked when it came to anything more nuanced than that.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:52 PM   #7
bandonurse
Forum Regular

"If you watch her in scenes, she is clearly at the bottom of the acting pact of the show."

I don't know if you've read Rue's autobiography, but in it, she is very clear about how difficult it was for everyone to work around Estelle's problems with performing. Her final comment about the issue was "With the use of cue cards and a lot of creative editing, we somehow pulled it off, but it was very challenging." And she adored Estelle. Spoke highly of her as a friend. She was just describing how disruptive it was to work around her fear/memory problem/insecurities, whatever the real issue/issues might have been.
bandonurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #8
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by clj2
Dorothy's changes I haven't noticed, but I sort of do since you mentioned it. As a huge fan of Maude, I noticed that in the earlier seasons, especially the first episode, she acted a lot like her at times. Her appearance was not good in season 5 either (she greatly improved in 7).
Dorothy's hair looked like a pseudo-spiked helmet in season 7. That was her worst look to me.

And regarding Sophia, Bea said Sophia was meaner in the last season; that quote where she says of the final season, "Rose got dumber, Blanche got sluttier, Sophia got meaner, but nobody got funnier."
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:24 PM   #9
623East68Strt
Occasional Poster

Sophia became especially mean in the last season of the series. The writers must have decided to see how far they could go with it. I prefer Season 1-5 Sophia. Dorothy is the one that got better each year the series went on as she mellowed and became comfortable with who she was.
623East68Strt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:25 AM   #10
bandonurse
Forum Regular

Of all the mean things the writers had Sophia do, the one thing I would change first was her insults toward her own daughter.

Trying to make a daughter who loved and took such good care of her feel like no man would ever want her was inexcusable.
bandonurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:34 PM   #11
schmave
Forum Regular

I always wondered who made "movin' on" a regular phrase for Sophia in those final few seasons. Never said it all earlier in the series, then it became one of her staple lines for a while.
schmave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:51 AM   #12
GGFan51
Occasional Poster

Mmmmm, Sophia was perhaps less blunt 100% of the time in the later seasons, but the stroke thing was still very much in place. The original writers obviously wanted to flesh out the character more as the seasons went on, especially in Season's 3 & 4. The new writers continued in this vein in the 5th season, but Sophia most certainly got meaner in the last two seasons, mostly towards Dorothy. Her insults towards her went a little too far. Dorothy bashing in general went too far. In general, the quality of the show does go down after Season 5, with the new writers coming up with too many outlandish things in order to compensate for the lack of strong, refreshing new ideas. Season 5 does have aspects of this too although much less so then 6 & 7, which is why the Season remains a strong one in my opinion.

Dorothy most definitely changes from Season 4 on and in my opinion it's because of the fact that she has let go of the terrible anger that she had towards Stan. Yes, she got some closure after Guess Who's Coming To The Wedding? and was able to be civil to Stan(up to a point lol), but after having been married for 38 years and how that marriage ended must have made her extremely angry towards life in general, so her patience was definitely short until she finally let go of that anger.
GGFan51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:35 PM   #13
Sven
Golden Girls Database
Frequent Poster

Send a message via AIM to Sven Send a message via MSN to Sven Send a message via Yahoo to Sven

She definitely got more comfortable in her character as the series went on. You can tell in the pilot and early episodes her brashness was kind of forced. As the show went on she became more transparent and less obvious.