Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

Episodic Review: Community - "Basic Sandwich" Airing Tonight on NBC; FX Orders 3rd Season of The Americans, Solid Start for Fargo
Moesha Returns Daily to BET; NBC Schedules Maya Rudolph Variety-Comedy Special
TV Land Picks Up Hilary Duff, Sutton Foster Sitcom; Episodic Review: New Girl - "Big News" Airing Tonight on Fox
Maude Mother's Day Marathon on Logo; WE tv 2014 Upfront
Week 29 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: The Simpsons Comes to FXX in Style; New Fox MOD Releases; Welcome Back, Kotter on DVD?
Stephen Colbert to Take Over Late Show on CBS; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of April 14, 2014)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)

The Class - The Complete Series Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season Anger Management - Volume Three The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season Newhart - The Complete Third Season

04/01 - The Class - The Complete Series
04/01 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Mary Tyler Moore Episodes
04/01 - I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - Married with Children - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - NewsRadio - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/08 - Holliston - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
04/08 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
04/15 - Anger Management - Volume Three (Blu-ray)
04/15 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official First and Second Seasons
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season
04/22 - Newhart - The Complete Third Season
04/29 - Dynasty - The Eighth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #16
retroTVfan4ever
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by markway895
The complete series is coming to dvd in 2011, in 2 volumes. Just announced by TVSHOWSONDVD.com

I hope both volumes will be released. Dividing this in two sets gives them the opportunity to cancel the second set if the first one undersells. This show was on for only one season, they should just issue the complete series in one set and be done with it.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:16 PM   #17
McGillicuddy

Hopefully, that won't be a concern. I get very annoyed when long running series get released in volumes, but with a rare single season series like this, if it takes splitting it in 2 volumes to make it profitable enough to be released, I can accept that. This is being release by TV Time Machine Productions, which I never heard of, but I would think they would be dedicated to release the complete series.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #18
TV Knowledge Fan

Default Whenit comes to releasing a short-lived series they own, on DVD...

...Leonard Stern is definitely not Lucie and Desi Arnaz, Jr. They wanted "THE MOTHERS-IN-LAW", and virtually every other project their father produced in the '60s, included in one DVD package. They obviously weren't thinking about a "profit margin" when they conceived the idea of releasing the entire series in {again} ONE PACKAGE. Leonard Stern, on the other hand, is not only a producer, he's also a businessman [he still owns a piece of Price/Stern/Sloan, the publishers of those endless "Mad Libs" paperbacks]- obviously, he believes there's a "market" for "I'M DICKENS- HE'S FENSTER", and considering the fact it hasn't been seen by the general public in over 30 years [in terms of syndication], I believe he believes DVD collectors will pay for a two volume set. And I'm sure they will....word of mouth, and the right ad campaign can do it [remember how many thousands of "AMOS 'N' ANDY" VHS volumes were sold through late-night TV commercials in the late '90s, before CBS' "cease and desist" order?]. And if the "DICKENS" DVD's are successful enough...maybe "HE & SHE", next? Then, "THE GOOD GUYS".......?

Old 10-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #19
retroTVfan4ever
Forum Regular

Old, short lived TV shows like this all have a curiosity and nostalgia value to them. But shows like this were short lived because they weren't popular during the original run, and then got cancelled. In most cases, the lack of popularity translated to the show just not being very good in the first place. There can occasionally be an exception where you have a good new show up against tough competion, and not enough people are tuning in. With old, short lived series like I'm Dickens He's Fenster, they are probably counting on the curiosity/nostalgia factor to sell the DVD's since the show hasn't been seen in a long time. People will be saying "Wow this is great, haven't seen this in a long time. I have to get this". However, is I'm Dickens He's Fenster really that funny? I've thought this over, and John Astin's other series that he's better known for, The Addams Family, is a lot funnier. So I'll probably pass on I'm Dicken's He's Fenster on DVD. Emmaline Henry was in this show, better known as Mrs. Bellows on I Dream Of Jeannie.

Last edited by retroTVfan4ever : 10-16-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:41 AM   #20
TV Knowledge Fan

Default The reason that....

..."I'M DICKENS- HE'S FENSTER" ended after one season (32 episodes) on ABC was because it was originally against two highly-rated shows that more viewers preferred to watch: "ROUTE 66" on CBS, and "SING ALONG WITH MITCH" on NBC. After it left the network, ABC Films began syndicating the series in the fall of 1963, and it was seen on dozens of local stations {WABC-TV in New York used to air it on weekends} through the start of the '70s. Eventually, it was withdrawn from syndication, and, finally forgotten....until producer Leonard Stern found the original film elements in storage about two years ago, and is now preparing the series for DVD release....

Old 10-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #21
retroTVfan4ever
Forum Regular

It's nice that the episodes have been found and they are being prepared for DVD. But I usually take short lived TV shows like this on DVD with a grain of salt. I enjoy Lost In Space, so I went ahead and made a blind buy of Irwin Allen's short lived one season show The Time Tunnel, figuring I would enjoy that as well. My god what a dull show, I watched two episodes and fell asleep during both of them. So since then I try to do a little more research before I buy DVD's of these old, short lived TV shows. These shows had short lives and haven't been seen in a long time for a reason, in many cases the reason is the shows just aren't very good. Buyer beware when it comes to series like this.

There probably is some decent humor in I'm Dickens He's Fenster, but to what extent I'm not sure. From clips I have seen on you tube, to me the humor seems mostly silly rather than genuinely funny.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #22
McGillicuddy

I'm Dickens, He's Fenster 50th Anniversary DVD set Volume 1 available by mail order December 6!!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/shownews...s-Fenster/2336

Last edited by McGillicuddy : 10-27-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #23
TV Knowledge Fan

Default That's good to hear...

...it's a shame Leonard Stern isn't around to see or promote it.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:02 PM   #24
McGillicuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Knowledge Fan
...it's a shame Leonard Stern isn't around to see or promote it.

Oh, wow! I had to look him up. I didn't know he just passed away this year. That is sad! Stern is listed among the all new interviews, so atleast he was aware of this project.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #25
TV Knowledge Fan

Default Stern was certainly aware of this release, 'markway'...

...that's why he had the "original film elements" exhumed, and taped some commentary for the DVD box sets. But, as I've said, he didn't live long enough to see them finally released. A shame....

Old 11-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #26
McGillicuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Knowledge Fan
...that's why he had the "original film elements" exhumed, and taped some commentary for the DVD box sets. But, as I've said, he didn't live long enough to see them finally released. A shame....

Yeah, sad