Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

That Girl links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / That Girl Photo Gallery

That Girl - Season One

Buy That Girl - Season One on DVD
That Girl - Season Two

Buy That Girl - Season Two on DVD
That Girl - Season Three

Buy That Girl - Season Three on DVD
That Girl - Season Four

Buy That Girl - Season Four on DVD
That Girl - Season Five

Buy That Girl - Season Five on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > That Girl

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC Picks Up Single Parents for Full Year; Netflix Gets Tia Mowry and Loretta Devine Sitcom
Showtime Comedy Gets More Stars; Netflix Orders New Comedy from Novel Writer
NBC Sets January 2019 Lineup; Team Coco Heads to New York Comedy Festival
ABC Fall Pilot Review: The Kids Are Alright - Premieres Tuesday (Oct. 16); FX Gets New Comedy for 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 15, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Patricia Heaton Eyes a Return to TV With CBS Sitcom; VEI Announced Bad News Bears TV Series DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Superstore Season 4 At the Top of Its Game; Freeform's New Kickoff to Christmas Event

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-18-2018, 10:33 PM   #61
stevea

I swear there's an edit in the third season episode, June's Birthday (sorry, I've gone on about this in other posts, even in this thread-post 48). In the middle of the episode there is a classroom scene, and after the class finishes singing Old McDonald, in the version I remember, Miss Landers tells the class they are going over to Mrs. Harrison's house to sing the song for the Mothers Club. In all current versions, and probably going back quite a ways, that line is edited out (IMO). In the edited out version, they finish the song, there are a few unrelated lines where Judy tells on Larry, and Miss Landers says they'll meet in the cafeteria. The cut line is important to the plot. I'd really like to find an old syndicated version from say the 1970s, but so far, no luck.

It's unfortunate Universal didn't put out a season 3 DVD set--they did put out seasons 1 and 2. Shout also hosed up the season 1 DVDs by placing the teaser scene after the opening credits in many episodes--the teaser belongs before the credits and Universal got it right.

If anyone has a really old copy of this episode, please PM me!
stevea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:13 PM   #62
retroTVfan4ever

I watched the episode "June's Birthday" on the DVD, I think it's probably uncut because it runs almost 26 minutes. There are only two mentions of Mrs. Harrison's, first time is earlier in the episode when Beaver mentions it while talking to his mom in the kitchen after he gave her the blouse as a birthday present. Second time is during the classroom scene when Whitey mentions it while talking to Miss Landers after the class sings Old McDonald. Miss Landers doesn't actually mention Mrs. Harrison's, unless that part was cut out, but I didn't see anything obvious where something might have been cut and the episode does run close to 26 minutes, so most likely it's uncut unless there's a sneaky little edit somewhere in the episode which could also be possible.
retroTVfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:11 PM   #63
stevea

Here's where I think it's edited out:

After Larry’s “Those were my oinks”
Miss Landers says, “Well, you just make sure they are.”
Larry: Yes, Miss Landers”
(edit, IMO): Miss Landers probably said something like: (I have a surprise for you. We're all going to Mrs. Harrison's to sing our song.)
Miss L: Now class remember we’ll all assemble in the playground right after lunch.

It probably would only be 5 to 10 seconds, but somebody probably cut it out somewhere along the way (probably way back), and it stayed that way. If Universal had done the DVD, they probably would have remastered from the original 35mm film, but I doubt Shout had access to that. Also, Universal would have produced new TV prints, which was probably never done, since MeTV is using the DVD versions.

I wonder if the scripts are anywhere!
Old 09-19-2018, 07:08 PM   #64
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
Here's where I think it's edited out:

After Larry’s “Those were my oinks”
Miss Landers says, “Well, you just make sure they are.”
Larry: Yes, Miss Landers”
(edit, IMO): Miss Landers probably said something like: (I have a surprise for you. We're all going to Mrs. Harrison's to sing our song.)
Miss L: Now class remember we’ll all assemble in the playground right after lunch.

It probably would only be 5 to 10 seconds, but somebody probably cut it out somewhere along the way (probably way back), and it stayed that way. If Universal had done the DVD, they probably would have remastered from the original 35mm film, but I doubt Shout had access to that. Also, Universal would have produced new TV prints, which was probably never done, since MeTV is using the DVD versions.

I wonder if the scripts are anywhere!
You could be correct about that edit, it sounds plausible that Miss Landers would mention Mrs. Harrison's and then Whitey would respond with his question. I went back and checked that part of the episode again, if there is indeed an edit there, whoever did the hack job was precise because it doesn't appear obvious as if something was edited.

Here's another 3rd season episode that might be edited on the DVD, I think it's the episode titled "School Sweater". Around the mid part of the episode, Wally tells June and Ward that he and Beaver are going to try and get rid of the gopher in the yard, and he says it as if the gopher had been mentioned before/earlier in the episode, but there is no earlier mention. So I wonder if the gopher was mentioned earlier in the episode but for whatever reason that part was cut out. I don't know if this episode is edited or not, I'm just speculating but I'm suspicious that it might be.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:33 PM   #65
stevea

Yeah, it wouldn't be written like that. And I really doubt the original film would have had that line taken out.

I need to check out the episode you mentioned, too. Somebody else mentioned in another thread that Shout has to use what they are given. And my guess is that what they're given most often is a good-quality videotape of the episode. And the videotape in this case is probably a second-generation tape copy of an already-edited tape.

I will have to say, though, that much was restored on this set. Example: there was a Gilbert line in a 6th season episode, about Angela Valentine wearing a Jackie Kennedy wig. That line was cut out for years, and they restored that. They probably would have done better on the whole set if they had the same access that Universal has to the original film elements.

I'm still trying to locate an older copy of the episode. If I ever locate that snippet (if I'm right), I'm gonna see to it that it's posted on Youtube, and refer Shout to it.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:43 PM   #66
retroTVfan4ever

If there is an edit in the "School Sweater" episode, it's probably in the beginning scene when Wally comes home from the basketball game and talks to June and Ward. The conversation ends kind of abruptly, gives the impression that there should be a little more to it, maybe that's when the gopher gets mentioned the first time but the line was cut out.

Overall I'm not fully satisfied with the complete series from Shout Factory. The set is acceptable but that's about the best I can say about it. As you (stevea) mentioned, the 1st season is a mess with those misplaced opening teasers. That's a huge error and it should have been caught and corrected before the set was released. For the 1st season, I have Universal's six disc set. The only Shout Factory disc from season 1 that I kept is the first disc because it has the bonus feature. As far as I know, season 2 from Shout Factory and Universal are both identical as far as the episodes go, so I have the Shout set of season 2.

Another thing I don't like are the episode menu screens, Shout could have been more creative instead of doing all six seasons the same, episode titles written in cement, that is fine for the first season but not the others. Would have been nice if a different menu screen was created for each season. And for the 6th season menu screens, Shout didn't even bother to use the updated 6th season theme for the music, they left in the seasons 1-5 theme instead. Just kind of a careless job with the menu screens, they should have been done better.

Shout made a big deal about these high definition transfers but I don't really like how they look, what ended up happening is that areas in the video that have a lot of fine detail have a red/purple rainbow effect to them, it looks terrible so when I watch these discs I just shut the color off on my TV set so I don't have to see that rainbow effect nonsense. In my opinion, it's not necessary to have fancy, high definition transfers of a 60 year old black and white TV show. But Shout Factory made a big deal about it and made it a selling point.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:53 PM   #67
stevea

I agree with you. The thing that bugs me most is the video "wavers" on the intro of each episode. On my set it's particularly bad on the 2nd season. It's so bad I'm glad I have the Universal set, even if it's double-sided DVDs. This may just be a problem with my set, which I'm pretty sure I got directly from Shout (so it's not a "bogus" ripped set from Ebay or whatever).

I also agree Shout should have fixed the season 1 set. MeTV should use the Universal set for their sources--it was even reissued as single-sided DVDs.

I apologize for this thread going so far off subject. Thanks for everyone tolerating it!
Old 09-19-2018, 10:31 PM   #68
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
I agree with you. The thing that bugs me most is the video "wavers" on the intro of each episode. On my set it's particularly bad on the 2nd season. It's so bad I'm glad I have the Universal set, even if it's double-sided DVDs. This may just be a problem with my set, which I'm pretty sure I got directly from Shout (so it's not a "bogus" ripped set from Ebay or whatever).

I also agree Shout should have fixed the season 1 set. MeTV should use the Universal set for their sources--it was even reissued as single-sided DVDs.

I apologize for this thread going so far off subject. Thanks for everyone tolerating it!
Threads sometimes go off topic, discussion drifts to another subject. We can go to the Leave It To Beaver board and continue discussion there.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:00 PM   #69
stevea

OK, I started a new thread on the LITB site. I viewed and reviewed School Sweater.