Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Is Hulu Moving Away From Comedy?; Antenna TV to Air New Year Kickoff with Coach Marathon
You're the Worst Renewed for Final Season on FXX; New Stana Katic Drama Heads to Amazon
Sundance Gets Original Series for VOD; GSN Gets Thanksgiving Marathons
Antenna TV January 2018 Schedule Includes Gimme a Break! and Coach; Pop Launches Wednesday Comedies in January
The Detour Back on TBS in January; I Love Lucy and Dick Van Dyke Show Christmas on CBS
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 13, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Louie (and Other Projects with Louis C.K.) Cancelled; CBS Colorizing More Dick Van Dyke Episodes; More Diff'rent Strokes DVDs

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-07-2016, 01:41 PM   #46
tlc38tlc38
Knock! Knock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawwie
Sophia was also a mean, cruel hag to Blanche's daughter. Remember? She asks: "So you're Blanche's daughter, the model? What did you model? Car covers"? What a freaking bitch! Sophia could be really mean a lot of times.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:26 PM   #47
bandonurse
Forum Regular

I agree. As much as I cherish the show, I truly think the writers took Sophia's meanness much too far on multiple occasions. Much like they took Rose's "na´vetÚ much too far. She was supposed to be na´ve....not mentally retarded.

Last edited by bandonurse : 03-08-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:28 AM   #48
GGFan51
Occasional Poster

Hmm, I always find something to enjoy in EVERY episode, but Mister Terrific is pretty terrible. Also, Miles To Go/Witness? I mean c'mon now! The cheeseman? Miles in the witness protection program? Him not being a professor? I thought the whole idea was terrible and was only used to spice up Season 6, which I actually enjoy now that I've nearly rewatched the whole series. The President's Coming, The President's Coming is also pretty bad- I don't dislike the flashback episodes as much as some of you do on here, but it was such a thin concept that could have been more interesting if it wasn't just tacked on to make ANOTHER flashback episode. Anybody know if they wanted the real President Bush to come on the show and tried to do so?

I actually find Blanche's family to be the most interesting one of all the girls(I've never understood why we only got to see two of Rose's children and never got to see Charlie in Flashbacks either! And not even seeing St. Olaf? Cmon now!) and I wish there had been more to all of the characters, especially for Blanche's mother and sisters as well as her songs. The plot of Vacation is rather thin(and the subplot with Sophia is just too random) - They could have come up with something much funnier for the girls going on a vacation. Still, not an unenjoyable one. I've never really liked Twas The Nightmare Before Christmas- It's funny, but too awkward with that whole Santa Claus holdup thing, lol. And I personally agreed with Sophia's opinion about Christmas in the episode- Real gifts from the shopping mall are so much better then the homemade ones they end up giving to each other lol. Bedtime Story has some funny bits(the Rose bothering Blanche is the best one), but that bed sequence when they're all in bed together? Gosh, that was repeated in EVERY flashback episode. Forgive Me Father is one that isn't bad, but not one of the best, it's a little dry, could have been funnier. John McMartin's performance was a little too straight laced if you ask me.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:51 AM   #49
GGFan51
Occasional Poster

People may completely disagree with me, but Empty Nest is actually somewhat enjoyable and refreshing after you see it the first time, where it really is a complete WTF were they thinking episode?

For Season 3, Old Friends gets a little bit too serious and sad for me for GG's standards, but that Teddybear subplot? HILARIOUS!!! Golden Moments is an unfairly hated flashback episode- I get why people don't like them, but GM actually has more of a direct purpose in showing the flashbacks that they show and the real time scenes are quite strong IMO. Larceny And Old Lace could have used some more development with the whole Roco thing and Mickey Rooney turns in a lousy performance, but it's not as bad as some say. The pig diary thing is HILIARIOUS to me. Rose's Big Adventure is really just too similar to other episodes(mainly Rose The Prude) and the subplot is terrible(Though Sophia's Italian friend wrings some laughs).

I've always liked Season 4 a lot, but it may be the best season to me right now. Some clunkers though are definitely The Days And Nights Of Sophia Petrillo: it's completely random and incredibly frustrating to watch the girls completely label Sophia as becoming dull and inactive when she is anything but. Yokel Hero is pretty funny and a good episode overall, but WHY OH WHY COULDN'T WE SEE ST. Olaf? And I've seen it too many times. Brother, Can You Spare That Jacket? is preachy, but it's a well written episode that makes it's point well. Fiddler On The Ropes has to be one of the worst episodes for me- Just completely WTF!! Foreign Exchange has always been to sad for me to watch because it is upsetting that Dorothy may not(and probably wasn't?) Sophia's biological daughter, though it isn't a bad episode. We're Outta Here and Rites Of Spring are examples of Flashback episodes that I really enjoy(Especially that Beauty Parlor sequence! Oh lord, that's hilarious!!).
Old 04-23-2017, 03:01 PM   #50
bandonurse
Forum Regular

Foreign Exchange bothered me because, despite the medical test results that Sophia tore up, it was obvious that she was not Dorothy's biological mother. Who wanted to learn that????

I must admit, however, that the scene where Gina walked in looking much closer to Sophia's height and with big glasses and a straw purse over her arm was very funny.

Last edited by bandonurse : 04-23-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:33 PM   #51
GGFan51
Occasional Poster

I feel exactly the same way, eerie huh?!
Old 04-24-2017, 04:59 PM   #52
bandonurse
Forum Regular

LOL,

I just noticed something. I'm labeled as a "Frequent Poster" (true) and you are labeled as "Occasional Poster"

Better catch up with me GGFan51
Old 04-24-2017, 09:00 PM   #53
70s show watcher

the one where they go on the game show and that ep with mickey rooney are my picks for the 2 worst
Old 04-25-2017, 11:18 AM   #54
bandonurse
Forum Regular

"the one where they go on the game show"

Oh, now see, "Grab That Dough" is one of my favorites! Winning a large cash prize and then losing it to an electric skillet due to Blanche's greed was hilarious. I definitely agree with you about the Mickey Rooney episode however. Lame. Just lame.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:05 PM   #55
KatieAnn
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandonurse
Foreign Exchange bothered me because, despite the medical test results that Sophia tore up, it was obvious that she was not Dorothy's biological mother. Who wanted to learn that????

I must admit, however, that the scene where Gina walked in looking much closer to Sophia's height and with big glasses and a straw purse over her arm was very funny.

There is an episode, "Mother's Day," in season 3 where Bea Arthur plays her grandmother in a flashback, so there is that family resemblance to fall back on.

I'm watching the series in order right now, and there is a big drop off in quality towards the end of season three. So far I would say that "Larceny and Old Lace," and "Mister Terrific" are the worst, but really the last episodes in season 3 are not very entertaining at all.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:46 AM   #56
Cheesecake101
Frequent Poster

Personally I didn't like the episode where President Bush came to visit the house.

Also I know The Golden Palace sucked as an entire show but the part I hated the most was the episode where Miles and Rose broke up because he found another woman. I mean seriously we're supposed to believe that after the couple was going steady for so many seasons? That's why I like to pretend like The Golden Palace never happened.

Last edited by Cheesecake101 : 05-15-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:17 AM   #57
bandonurse
Forum Regular

I sort of "semi agree" with you, Cheesecake101. I will always like Golden Girls better than Golden Palace, but I do enjoy most episodes of GP,

However, I so agree about the one where Miles just up and marries Nanette Fabray. What the begeezus were they thinking? Showing a sweet woman like Rose crying while watching him take his vows? Was that supposed to make us laugh?
Old 05-15-2017, 11:32 PM   #58
Cheesecake101
Frequent Poster

Lol I think that was the whole reason I hated The Golden Palace. It seemed so unfair to Rose to write Miles out of the show in such an awful way. I didn't like how they got rid of Stan either.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:06 PM   #59
bandonurse
Forum Regular

Yes, Stan's "departure" was weird. Just weird.

I think my least favorite episode of all was the one where Dorothy's brother Phil died. Not only was the subject matter too sad to lend itself to humor, it showed Sophia at her worst. Being petty and cruel toward Phil's recently widowed wife over a stupid dowry issue. Nothing in that episode made me laugh.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:38 PM   #60
70s show watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesecake101
Personally I didn't like the episode where President Bush came to visit the house.

Also I know The Golden Palace sucked as an entire show but the part I hated the most was the episode where Miles and Rose broke up because he found another woman. I mean seriously we're supposed to believe that after the couple was going steady for so many seasons? That's why I like to pretend like The Golden Palace never happened.
esp since miles excuse for seeing another woman was that rose had moved all the way across town well whoop dee do i know miles was a cheapskate but he coul have taken a taxi out and back to see rose once in awhile