Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Leave it to Beaver Online / Leave it to Beaver links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Leave it to Beaver Photo Gallery

Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season (Limited Edition Gift Set)

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season (Limited Edition Gift Set with Cleaver Family Photo Album) on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Second Season

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Three

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Three on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Four

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Four on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Five

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Five on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Six

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Six on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1950s Sitcoms > Leave it to Beaver
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Midseason 2018 Schedule Has New Comedy; Remembering David Cassidy
CBS Gives 9JKL More Episodes; Remembering Della Reese of Touched by an Angel, Chico and the Man
COZI TV's 4th Annual Holidozi Schedule; Remembering Ann Wedgeworth and Earle Hyman
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 20, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fox Producing Retirement Home Comedy Starring Vicki Lawrence and David Alan Grier; Nashville and Still the King Cancelled
Fri-Yay: Is Hulu Moving Away From Comedy?; Antenna TV to Air New Year Kickoff with Coach Marathon
You're the Worst Renewed for Final Season on FXX; New Stana Katic Drama Heads to Amazon

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-13-2017, 10:42 PM   #1
stevea

Default A Couple of Things about Beaver on TV

1. Interesting that there were a lot of dated references on this episode: references to Bennett Cerf and Jack Paar, and the infamous (and edited out for many years) Gilbert comment about Angela Valentine wearing a Jackie Kennedy wig. (Trivia--do we all know who those first two guys are???)

2. When Beaver was reciting his classmates at the end of Teenage Forum, he mentioned Kathy Gregory. Interesting that Wally dated her, and she fell into the fountain. She didn't seem like an eighth grader. And what eight grader would be allowed to go to an all night party?
Old 11-14-2017, 05:20 PM   #2
Scrabjan1

I noticed the Kathy Gregory reference and possibly the writers didn’t know they had used the name in Beaver On TV when they named a character in All Night Party. I believe that Kathy in Beaver’s class was Susie in another episode.

I know Jack Paar and saw him on YouTube never got to see the show way back but knew he was emotional. I think he resigned on air. Saw Bennett Cerf on What’s My Line on BUZZR.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:20 PM   #3
stevea

There were supposedly crying incidents for both...maybe they were around the time of filming this episode.

I've seen a lot of the WMLs on GSN when they showed it, but I never saw Cerf break down. There was one episode where Henry Morgan was a guest panelist and cut Cerf off when he was introducing John Daly (I call this episode "Rude Henry" and I have it on a DVD somewhere). Not much they could do, since it was a live airing at the time, in 1967.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:56 PM   #4
Mr B
Frequent Poster

I could never understand how a kids TV show could be on Thursdays at 11AM...I know the Cleavers were somewhat affluent but did they have DVR service in '63?
Old 11-15-2017, 07:51 AM   #5
stevea

Normally those kinds of shows would be on the weekend, tape-delayed or not.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:22 AM   #6
Scrabjan1

Speaking of Beaver On TV Gilbert talks to a kid in class and calls him Brad. Later the same kid is in Uncle Billy’s Visit and he’s Alan.

Would have liked to have seen Rude Henry. think of Dorothy Kilgallen on What’s My Line and how she died so unexpectedly or was murdered. I saw the show after Fred Allen died on the street the day before but the show went on.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:26 PM   #7
stevea

I think Dorothy Kilgallen committed suicide, or was taking too many pills.

Yes, I saw Mrs. Rayburn call "Brad" Alan. I didn't make that association, but I knew that wasn't the kid that had briefly played Alan (Boothby, I think). I think the last time that kid had been on was in the Tell it to Ella episode. He was also in the sixth season clothing drive episode (again, I think)(which is an early production shown late in the season).
Old 11-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #8
Scrabjan1

The writers loved the name Alan. That guy Alan Boothby in Long Distance Call, Night in the Woods and Sweatshirt Monsters and that Alan/Brad guy in the movies when Beaver let’s Gilbert in. Also in Beaver’s Prep School a kid raises his hand to say he wrote on the card wrong and his name is Alan. I think in Clothing Drive it’s Kevin and Michael. I believe Wally mentions an Alan once or twice.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:29 PM   #9
stevea

That's right about clothing drive...I can't keep all these new kids straight!

I know that nerdy kid Mrs. Rayburn called Alan is the same kid from the episode where Beaver got the football award. He kept wishing it was over.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:50 PM   #10
Hazel Anyday
Forum Regular

Wink Harry's To The Left of Me Harry's To the Right of Me, I'm Harried

Just as in Hazel they loved the name Harry. Deidra's husband, son Harold, Mr. B's law partner, and many other incidental characters were all named Harry.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:51 PM   #11
stevea

Yeah, and practically every sitcom has a Martha or Aunt Martha (but Hazel didn't).
Old 11-18-2017, 10:40 PM   #12
Hazel Anyday
Forum Regular

Though they almost did call Hazel's BarB-Q sauce "Aunt Martha's Bar-B-Q Sauce". I think, least that's the way I remember them trying to first come up with a name, before using Hazel's name for the junk.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:35 PM   #13
tdr

Maybe June's Aunt Martha is also Lucy Ricardo's aunt, whom she named Aunt Martha's Old Fashioned Salad Dressing after.