Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Barney Miller Summer Fridays on Antenna TV; Tyler Perry Studios Takes Over BET with New Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 24, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mark-Paul Gosselaar Cast in black-ish Spinoff; Urkel Makes a Return in Scooby Doo
Fri-Yay: The Amazing Superstore Season 4 Finale; Netflix Has Healing Powers
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Returns with "Modern" Twist; Showtime Is Back to Life For New Comedy
truTV Gets 2nd Season of Tacoma FD; I'm Sorry Gets Season 3 on truTV
NBC Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; The CW Fall 2019 Premiere Dates

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-31-2001, 02:15 PM   #1
Rob
Frequent Poster

Post Chuck Cunningham

Maybe the writers of Happy Days should have given the character of Chuck a little more of a chance, instead of just tossing him out. I know that he really didn't do anything except bounce a basketball and say just a few words, but who knows what could have happened if he stayed around? At first, Fonzie was little more than a walk-on character himself, but after his appearances expanded, he became the most popular character on the show, and most likely saved it from early cancellation. What does evceryone else think?

------------------
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 12:11 AM   #2
look alike

I was recently told by a female that I resembled Richie Cunnigham's older brother, Chuck. I'm trying to locate a picture of Chuck to see if she is in fact correct. If anyone can steer me in the right direction it would be appreciated. Send response to "johnl_03054@yahoo.com"
Thank you.
Old 08-04-2001, 02:35 AM   #3
MsLulu
Wiggly Mom
Frequent Poster

Unhappy

I think he could have been a recurring character. They could have mentioned him occassionly atleast. It kind of bugs me when a TV show writes off a family member and tries to make it seem that they never existed.
MsLulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 01:27 PM   #4
corwayn2

In the POST-CHUCK episodes, where Howard explains his family, he doesn't even make it sound like Chuck is part of it. For instance:In the SAVE INSPIRATION POINT EPISODE,RICHIE questions Howard at a hearing, about who's in his family. Howard replies, "I Have A Wife, A Daughter, And A SMART-ALECKY SON"! And in the FINAL episode, "Passages", Howard gives HAPPY DAYS a send-off, by saying "We've Raised A SON AND A DAUGHTER". He never said he has 2 sons
Old 08-04-2001, 04:12 PM   #5
MsLulu
Wiggly Mom
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by corwayn2:
In the POST-CHUCK episodes, where Howard explains his family, he doesn't even make it sound like Chuck is part of it. For instance:In the SAVE INSPIRATION POINT EPISODE,RICHIE questions Howard at a hearing, about who's in his family. Howard replies, "I Have A Wife, A Daughter, And A SMART-ALECKY SON"! And in the FINAL episode, "Passages", Howard gives HAPPY DAYS a send-off, by saying "We've Raised A SON AND A DAUGHTER". He never said he has 2 sons
Exactly! I don't understand why they didn't even mention him. The viewers know he existed. I know it's just a TV show, but it still bugs me a bit.
MsLulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 06:28 AM   #6
Fonzesleatherjacket

I think they could've had Chuck guest star once in awhile in the show. It is strange how all of a sudden they don't mention him again. The hard question is he did exsist as a character in the show, but did he ever exsist as part of the Cunningham family or not?
Old 08-05-2001, 06:42 AM   #7
Fonzesleatherjacket

If the producers liked Fonzie more than Chuck I wonder why they just did'nt make Fonzie Richie's real big brother, and a real memember of the Cunningham family? Fonzie still could've been cool and etc.
Old 08-05-2001, 11:12 PM   #8
LaverneShirley
Mission Doll

Quote:
Originally posted by Fonzesleatherjacket:
I think they could've had Chuck guest star once in awhile in the show. It is strange how all of a sudden they don't mention him again. The hard question is he did exsist as a character in the show, but did he ever exsist as part of the Cunningham family or not?
Because Fonzie was supposed to be a little character at first. After two seasons, you can take away a fmaily member but you can't make osmeone who wasn't a family member before all of a sudden a family member. It's not like they could adopt him, he was already an adult.

LaverneShirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 11:41 PM   #9
Fonzesleatherjacket

Smile

Thanks for your imput and I kinda got mixed up with what I was saying. I think I ment I wonder why they got both Chuck and Fonzie in the show in the first place, and if they were going to make Fonzie to be like Richie's big brother why they did'nt just do that to begin with and leave out Chuck. But, they probably did'nt think of that idea yet and just wanted Fonzie to be a small character and just Richie's friend before like making him more than just his friend, so they decided at first to give him a big brother named Chuck, then decided they did'nt need him and thought Fonzie would make a better big brother. I know The Cunningham's could'nt adopt Fonzie really because he was an adult but if there had'nt been a Chuck character to begin with and they only had the one character Fonzie, then maybe he could've just been a real Cunningham. What a mouthful of words. Hope you understand what I mean now I'm just getting a little mixed up with what I'm trying to say. Thanks for the imput though.
Old 08-05-2001, 11:46 PM   #10
Fonzesleatherjacket

Smile

Just wanted to add it does'nt really matter anyway what the deal with Chuck is, Happy Days is still a classic forever!
Old 08-12-2001, 12:18 AM   #11
Ralph_Malph
Forum Regular

I also don't think that they should have just ignored Chuck.

A good time to bring him back would have been after Richie left. Then Joannie would have still had an older brother in the house.

They brought in Roger, who was just like Chuck (also a basketball jock)...only he was smart.

Perhaps they were actually thinking of doing that, but opted for someone resembling Richie more, so they combined both Riche and Chuck to make Roger.

Ralph_Malph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 03:22 PM   #12
TV Guy

I think Chuck did something really terrible (off-screen), and the rest of the family disowned him. I mean, he didn't even get his own spinoff, so he must have done something wrong.

Anyone else notice that two different actors played Chuck. The tall guy with the reddish-blond hair? and the shorter guy with the dark hair.
TV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote