Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Hazel links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Hazel Photo Gallery

Hazel - The Complete First Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete First Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Second Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Third Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Hazel
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: The Return of NBC Thursday Night Sitcoms; Everything Sucks at Netflix
The Office Scores on Comedy Central; The Tick Gets 2nd Season on Amazon
Comedy Central Picks Up The Jim Jefferies Show for Second Season; Remembering Donnelly Rhodes from Soap
TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: More Cable, Crackle, Paramount Network and More
TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: Cable Roundup of IFC, AMC, Hallmark, Pop and More
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of January 15, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: American Dad Gets Two Season Renewal at TBS; New Details About Roseanne Reboot
Fri-Yay: What Does the Future Hold for Fox Sitcoms?; TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: TBS and HBO
Hulu Orders 2nd Season of Future Man; Michael J. Fox Heads Back to Politics on TV
TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: NBC; grown-ish Premieres Strong on Freeform
TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: ABC, Includes ABC 2018 Midseason Schedule; Goldbergs Spin-off Pilot Airs Jan. 24

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December/January)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
01/09 - Girlfriends - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-10-2017, 10:47 PM   #16
Babalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroTVfan4ever
Hazel would never have been fired, Shirley Booth was the star of the show. The scripts often had her at odds with Mr. B., who was supposed to be her boss, but Hazel was really the one in charge of the house whether Mr. B. liked it or not , that's the gimmick which made the show work. LOL, of course Hazel is always right. It was her show, it was named after her, Hazel could do no wrong.

I used to watch reruns of Hazel when was younger, along with I Love Lucy, Donna Reed, Leave it to Beaver etc. because they were all on together. I have no interest in it now that I'm an adult and this is why. The show was basically a forerunner of today's overt liberal propaganda that all men are stupid, women have all the brains and really run the world but let men think they run it. Of course the mantra that women are discriminated against and held back by men is completely at odds with this but logic never seems to get in the way of liberal propaganda.

I just nailed Mrs. Trumbull
Old 10-10-2017, 11:45 PM   #17
mets82

I thought I was the only one. I'm not a big Hazel fan. I thought she was a pushy broad. Clean a toilet and shut up.

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:04 AM   #18
stevea

This is slightly off-topic, but re the above, you could never have a show today that portrays a woman as inferior in any way. But it IS OK to portray a man as an idiot. I think Home Improvement is funny, but that's a prime example. One that would never fly now: George Burns and Gracie Allen.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:33 AM   #19
Robert 13

I guess I'm in the minority here but Mr. B was always the one who annoyed the hell out of me. For a lawyer, he was pretty stupid. Always loved and rooted for Hazel because she always had a plan. She knew what she was doing almost every time. I never saw her as pushy or meddling. I saw her as the type of woman who got things done, pursued and persisted. If Mr. B was in charge, nothing would have ever got done. He'd be out playing golf all the time. LOL!

- Dolcenera
Old 10-11-2017, 10:55 AM   #20
cfr1970
Occasional Poster

I think one of the only shows that realistically portrayed the man being smart and in charge was "I Love Lucy". Now of course Lucy wasn't stupid, but in the end, she always know her place and knew her husband was always the one in charge and made the decisions.
The wife on "Father Knows Best" is another one where the woman is shown as happy and content in her place and not brainwashed by some BS liberal/ERA cause. "All in the Family" really lit the fire on that when the 70's rolled around and set the stage for all that followed.

As far as Hazel, I started this thread because I watch every morning, and after viewing it cycle around a few times, I really started to notice what a bch she can be with the family and everyone around her with that superior and smug "I'm always right and know what's best for you even if you don't" attitude.

Of course as someone pointed out, it's just a show and Hazel saving the day is the whole point, but I would have loved to at least seen a dream episode where Hazel fights with Mr. B, and when she goes to sleep she has a nightmare where she's always wrong, gives bad advice, screws everything up, and gets tossed out on her rear. Then wakes up shaking in a cold sweat. It would instantly become my favorite episode.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:36 AM   #21
stevea

^I agree, that would have made a great episode. Too bad no writer thought of the idea.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:13 PM   #22
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets82
I thought I was the only one. I'm not a big Hazel fan. I thought she was a pushy broad. Clean a toilet and shut up.

LOL, clean the toilet and shut up. If that's all she did then it wouldn't have been much of a TV show unless you like watching someone clean toilets.
Hazel needed to be a meddling/busybody type of character in order for the show to work.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:28 PM   #23
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babalu
I used to watch reruns of Hazel when was younger, along with I Love Lucy, Donna Reed, Leave it to Beaver etc. because they were all on together. I have no interest in it now that I'm an adult and this is why. The show was basically a forerunner of today's overt liberal propaganda that all men are stupid, women have all the brains and really run the world but let men think they run it. Of course the mantra that women are discriminated against and held back by men is completely at odds with this but logic never seems to get in the way of liberal propaganda.

Because of the way Hazel is, I agree that the show tends to have a women are superior message to it, although I've never given it a political connection. I like the show but it's not my all time favorite, I watch once in a while and enjoy it for what it is.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:09 PM   #24
Alan Brady's Hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert 13
If Mr. B was in charge, nothing would have ever got done. He'd be out playing golf all the time. LOL!

For a corporate lawyer, playing golf is working. Bring in the business, and the grunt work gets done by underlings.

Dorothy is no rocket scientist, either. She seems to forget for years on end that she even has a business of her own, and has to have virtually every subject explained to her as if she had just emerged from a coma.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #25
retroTVfan4ever

There aren't too many episodes that have Dorothy's business as subject matter, but in the ones that do, of course Hazel is always there to interfere, toss in her two cents and lend a helping hand.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #26
Alan Brady's Hair

Was just thinking of maybe her worst butt in ever: writing letters to the guy overseas about how his wife was running all over town.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:56 PM   #27
Babalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroTVfan4ever
Because of the way Hazel is, I agree that the show tends to have a women are superior message to it, although I've never given it a political connection.

As a child, neither did I. But as an adult, seeing that it is the message of nearly everything on mainstream TV, it's pretty hard to ignore. And when you see virtually everyone in show business preach far left politics non-stop, it's impossible to ignore.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:04 PM   #28
Hazel Anyday
Forum Regular

Rolleyes If Only

TV has always and still does portray men as a bunch of nincompoops. One of my least favorite ads today is that cell phone ad that shows an old couple wondering about phones as the old husband is totally lost as to what to buy till naturally his wife explains it all then he says "really?, Duh." (I added in the Duh, but he might as well have.) Women are 99% of the time shown as the brilliant intelligent ones while the men stand around with their mouths open in dumbfoundment.

But since when has TV/Radio/movies/books/plays (fiction in other words) EVER portrayed life as it really is?

One of the BIG LIES TV series/movies/old time radio shows/etc. loves to perpetuate is that all young hot women are
#1 Always single, unattached and free as a bird and horny to boot for old men
2. All young women immediately will fall in love and ready to marry after a man gives her a glance or a nod.
3. All young women are desperate for any old man that comes along even if he's not paying her any attention and she will immediately offer herself to him and then the biggest fiction of all, the old man will always respond to this situation by telling her, "I'm sorry, but I'm looking for an old bag to bang. I would never consider having fun with a young babe. By the way, is your grandmother available?" Well, some of that isn't really said, but the situation is accurate, as old guys are always portrayed to be extremely attractive to young hot unattached and extremely available young girls and the old men will always turn down THEIR propositions by saying he's looking for an old bat his age. Right, sure.
OH, another great fiction, young hot single babes are always living right next door. Oh if only life were as it is on TV.

Last edited by Hazel Anyday : 10-13-2017 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Deep THoughts
Old 10-15-2017, 03:16 PM   #29
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!

Quote:

Funny I don't see those retro shows that way: They showed that bright women often had to be passive-aggessive to be heard or get what they want. This was especially true of Hazel. There was a great deal of sexism in the 50s, and that's just the way it was. Although in LITB I think both spouses had a great deal of respect for each other, so I don't that show is a good example.

I see the liberal agenda attacks not based on gender but on an inability to really accept a counter ideology; liberals would just as eagerly attack a Sarah Palin as a Mike Hukerbee.

Maybe this sounds a bit Pollyanna, but as a moderate Democrat with an occasional conservative leaning, Neither side is without some merit.

What I have learned to do is keep my mouth shut around my liberal friends. I may get some flak from some but my experience is liberals are only liberal as long as you completely agree with them (which I don't)

xxoo You both Rock!!

Last edited by OH Nuts! : 10-15-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:51 AM   #30
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
As a child, neither did I. But as an adult, seeing that it is the message of nearly everything on mainstream TV, it's pretty hard to ignore. And when you see virtually everyone in show business preach far left politics non-stop, it's impossible to ignore.

I agree that the media and many show business people have political leanings that are far to the left. It's very obvious.