Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Hazel links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Hazel Photo Gallery

Hazel - The Complete First Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete First Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Second Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Third Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Hazel

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Celebrities Get Animated on Animal Planet; Freeform Drama Pilot Underway
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 16, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Game of Thrones Leads Emmy Nominations; New Beverly Hillbillies DVDs Coming in October
Fri-Yay: What Was the Best Decade for Sitcoms?; The 70th Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations
Netflix Gets Christina Applegate Comedy; South Park Returns Sept. 26 for Season 22
Alone Together Returns Aug. 1 on Freeform; Sony Crackle Gets Rob Riggle Comedy
CBS Fall 2018 Premiere Dates; Freeform Announces Holiday Movies for 2018

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July)

New Girl - The Complete Seventh Season Alice - The Complete Seventh Season Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Second Season

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
07/03 - New Girl - The Final (Seventh) Season
07/10 - Alice - The Complete Seventh Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - The Bill Engvall Show - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season
07/10 - The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season
07/17 - Cooper Barrett's Guide to Surviving Life - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Good Place - The Complete Second Season
07/17 - Son of Zorn - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-23-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
dahur1
Frequent Poster

Default "Hazel" is a timeless classic

I received the complete first season yesterday. I plugged in Disc 1 and sat back to see if I could remember anything from a show I hadn't seen in over 40 years.
When the opening sequence started, and the Baxter's smell those wonderful fresh baked cookies, man, I remember that! The memories came flooding back. However that's where my memories ended.
I noticed in episode three, George and Dorothy sleep in separated beds(ala Lucy and Desi), how did "Ozzie and Harriet" get through the censors with their single bed I wondered. I had forgotten how beautiful Whitney Blake was, and thought how dumb it was to have a married couple sleep in separate beds.
After watching 5 episodes so far, I'm hooked! I can see why "Hazel" was so popular. Despite being a servant, she is in control of everything, and has a heart as big as the sky. Good comedy writing.
I started to watch episode 6, and it was in color. Is this the way it was filmed does anybody know, or was it colorized? I thought most shows didn't start filming in color until around 1965 or so.
Anyways, I love it already, and have ordered the rest of the episodes. I'm glad I don't remember any of the episodes. It's like watching them for the first time all over again!

Note: I just read another thread about the color episode, and my question about the "color" episode was answered. Thanks "Hazel Anyday".

Last edited by dahur1; 05-29-2007 at 06:11 PM.
dahur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
TV Knowledge Fan

"HAZEL" was originally filmed in black & white during its first season (1961-'62), 'dahur'. Its sponsor, the Ford Motor Company, wanted the show to be seen in color (the better to showcase its new cars in full color commercials during the show), so a "test episode" was filmed {#6, where Hazel gets a new color TV set**. That convinced Ford to put up the extra money so that the series could be filmed in color, beginning in its second season. Screen Gems, who produced the show, did NOT have the incentive to put up the additional money for color filming because they were cheap [they convinced Sidney Sheldon NOT to film "I DREAM OF JEANNIE" in color during its first season in 1965, and finally allowed him to when ALL network prime-time shows were telecast in color in the fall of '66, and "BEWITCHED" was in b&w during its first two seasons for the same reason]. In fact, "HAZEL" and "THE JOEY BISHOP SHOW" were the only situation comedies telecast in color on NBC in the fall of 1962. Only "THE FLINTSTONES" and "THE JETSONS", on ABC's fall schedule, could match that.

In any event, "HAZEL" was a color series until it ceased production in 1966.

TV Knowledge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
MichaelKeith
Forum Regular

Default You're right!

Dahur, you're right. "Hazel" is one of my favorite comedies. I truly hope Sony will release season 2 on DVD before too long. What a good, quality, family show that a lot of people would not only enjoy, but need to see also!
MichaelKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:10 PM   #4
Hazel Anyday

Thumbs up Correction

I corrected my statement in the last discussion about Hazel in color, I had meant to say if Hazel had NOT been on NBC it would not have been in color till the Steve Baxter year of shows. That would have been a crime.

There are so many good episodes in Season 1, Dahur, you're lucky if you've only seen a few so far. Wait till you see #26. Hazel's Pajama Party, I believe that to be one of the best and saddest episodes of the whole series. Very effective and typical of Shirley Booth's great acting ability. I didn't call myself "Hazel Anyday" for nothing, Hazel is my favorite show.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:04 AM   #5
Lee G
Banned
Banned!!

Hazel is a little different type of sitcom. Along with the comedy, there are serious and tender moments as well. Family Affair is another show that combined comedy and drama.
Lee G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:30 PM   #6
dahur1
Frequent Poster

Episode #26 was VERY touching. I thought #18 was too.
I haven't seen an episode yet I didn't care for. And the Johnsons next door are Hilarious!!
Don Defore compliments Shirley Booth perfectly. I can't imagine anyone else playing George Baxter.
I hope it won't be a let down when I get to the last year's episodes.

I just got through episode #35, "Hazel's Day" and it was just wonderful. Hazel and Judge Farley doing the Charleston, wasn't that great! "What a doozie!"

Last edited by dahur1; 06-11-2007 at 09:14 PM.
dahur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:37 AM   #7
Lee G
Banned
Banned!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Anyday
There are so many good episodes in Season 1, Dahur, you're lucky if you've only seen a few so far. Wait till you see #26. Hazel's Pajama Party, I believe that to be one of the best and saddest episodes of the whole series.
Hazel's Pajama Party is not a sad episode. No one dies or is diagnosed with a terminal disease. That would be sad. The last five minutes of the episode get semi-emotional when George has to tell Hazel the girls don't want Hazel to attend their pajama party. Dorothy doesn't like it and thinks the girls don't understand and are being selfish. George tells Dorothy: "The girls are right, honey. Hazel doesn't belong at a pajama party with 14 year old girls. Time has passed her by, just like it's passed you and I by and eventually will pass those girls by also." George then goes into the kitchen to give Hazel the news. At first Hazel's feelings are hurt and she thinks the girls don't want her. George tells Hazel: "Of course they want you. But they want you as you are. They want someone to make brownies and bake cookies for them. They want a mature person to talk over their troubles with." Hazel then seems to understand. The episode ends with the Baxters "camping out" in their living room and singing songs. The girls from the pajama party come over and join Hazel in the sing-a-long. Kind of a sappy ending, but the Hazel show was always about basic family values. Many TV shows today could learn an example or two from Hazel. Don DeFore was good in this episode, he was the perfect choice for the role of George Baxter.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:35 AM   #8
Hazel Anyday

Unhappy I leave it up to anyone who watches to judge

I don't know, but a show that ends with the lead character crying because she's sad that her youth is gone forever is not exactly a knee slapper in my book. The first part of the show is typical of a Hazel sitcom, but the last 1/2 when the teenybopper tells the Baxters that Hazel is not wanted is very sad and tragic for Hazel's life. No she doesn't have cancer & no, nobody dies in this episode, but there are things sad other than death and destruction. I invite anyone to watch this episode and judge for yourself. If you think this is a real rip snorter, well, what can I say.
Hazel Anyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:16 PM   #9
Lee G
Banned
Banned!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Anyday
I don't know, but a show that ends with the lead character crying because she's sad that her youth is gone forever is not exactly a knee slapper in my book. The first part of the show is typical of a Hazel sitcom, but the last 1/2 when the teenybopper tells the Baxters that Hazel is not wanted is very sad and tragic for Hazel's life. No she doesn't have cancer & no, nobody dies in this episode, but there are things sad other than death and destruction. I invite anyone to watch this episode and judge for yourself. If you think this is a real rip snorter, well, what can I say.
For me, I don't see this as a sad episode at all. It's not a knee slapper in the laughs department, it's basically a decent Hazel episode. It has a tender moment when Mr. B. tells Hazel she's not invited to the girls pajama party. Mr. B. explained things to Hazel very well. He told her the girls do want her, but they want her as she is. I think Hazel should have known herself without being told that she was too old to be part of a pajama party with teenage girls, but the scriptwriters needed a story line. The episode does end on a happy note with the girls from the pajama party coming over to the Baxters to sing songs with Hazel. No one likes to come to the realization that their youth has passed them by, but it's part of life. Heck, I'm 46 years old and I still like to pretend I'm 17!
Old 08-13-2007, 10:20 PM   #10
OH Nuts!
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!
Forum Legend

It was the warmth of the character, so deftly played by Shirley Booth, that made the show enjoyable. You really knew Hazel cared about the Baxters, that it wasn't just a job to her. What made the character of Hazel so intriguing was the way she was able to combine a tender heart with outright pushiness. This is an unusual combination; but the fine acting of Shirley Booth made it work.

The only exception was in her interactions with Mr. B--how she was always able to wrap Mr. B around her little finger. He was, after all, a lawyer. This part of the dynamic was weak and is why I perceive Hazel to be a good, rather than a great, show.
OH Nuts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:17 PM   #11
MichaelKeith
Forum Regular

Exactly, and when is Sony going to release Season 2 to DVD?

We need to protest!
MichaelKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:23 PM   #12
Hazel Anyday

Absotively, Bewitched has 5 seasons out already and Jeanie is going strong with regular releases, what the hey, Sony, WE WANT HAZEL, ALL SEASONS!!
Hazel Anyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 01:37 PM   #13
OH Nuts!
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!
Forum Legend

Michael and Hazel A I agree. WE WANT MORE HAZEL!!!
OH Nuts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:35 AM   #14
storrs19
B&W TV Lover
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to storrs19 Send a message via MSN to storrs19

Sony is moving along at their usual snail's pace for any show older than 15 years This really irks me as Hazel is an excellent show and has always been one of my favorites as is My Three Sons and Family Affair (yes, I like what some call "corny, old fashioned" family shows). Too bad tv is so rotten today with nothing worth watching except for sports.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #15
unityman777
First Time Poster

My wife & I really love Hazel very much &try to watch at least an episode or two EVERY day,(on dvd). We only have the 1st season but hope to collect all five eventually.
unityman777 is offline   Reply With Quote