Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Hazel links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Hazel Photo Gallery

Hazel - The Complete First Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete First Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Second Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Third Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Hazel

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Guests Line Up for Caroline Rhea Series; UnREAL Season 4 Premieres on Hulu
Celebrities Get Animated on Animal Planet; Freeform Drama Pilot Underway
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 16, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Game of Thrones Leads Emmy Nominations; New Beverly Hillbillies DVDs Coming in October
Fri-Yay: What Was the Best Decade for Sitcoms?; The 70th Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations
Netflix Gets Christina Applegate Comedy; South Park Returns Sept. 26 for Season 22
Alone Together Returns Aug. 1 on Freeform; Sony Crackle Gets Rob Riggle Comedy

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July)

New Girl - The Complete Seventh Season Alice - The Complete Seventh Season Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Second Season

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
07/03 - New Girl - The Final (Seventh) Season
07/10 - Alice - The Complete Seventh Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - The Bill Engvall Show - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season
07/10 - The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season
07/17 - Cooper Barrett's Guide to Surviving Life - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Good Place - The Complete Second Season
07/17 - Son of Zorn - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-10-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
ercjncpr
Frequent Poster

Default Color episodes in the first season

The following was the write up in the Long Beach Independent newspaper (California) for November 2, 1961:

HAZEL—On the day after
its day-long "color day,"
NBC gives Shirley Booth's
series one of two tint treatments
it's due for this season.
In this episode, at 9:30
p.m. on channel 4, Hazel promotes
a color TV set for herself,
and attracts George's
guests away from their bridge
game to watch Perry Como in
her room.

The article says "one of TWO tint treatments this season"

My question is what was the other episode that was supposed to be in color and why wasn't it?
ercjncpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
Hazel Anyday

Lightbulb "Tint" not meaning colorize

Back in 1961 they didn't have computers that correctly colorize shows and movies the way they do today. This ad or article you quote must be referring to Hazel in this one case being filmed in color, not tinted as in colorized. It was actually shot in color with color film. But as to your other question, what is the 2nd color episode from Season 1, there isn't one that I know of. Unless it once existed and was shown in 1961 but perhaps in the ensuing years the color version was lost and all that remained was the syndicated b/w version. This is just a guess. The other possibility that I more believe is that this article was doing a prediction of another color episode to come. But in reality another color episode for Season 1 was never filmed so that's why it doesn't exist. This article was probably just stating what NBC had plans to do but never actually did. At least though they did do the one episode filmed in color, the one where Hazel buys a color TV.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:32 PM   #3
TV Knowledge Fan

That episode was filmed as a "test" for the show's sponsor, the Ford Motor Company. THEY wanted the show in color from the beginning...and after seeing the results, they put up the extra money to film the show in color, beginning in the fall of 1962. Ford wanted their ads shown in full color, and the show around those ads in color as well.

TV Knowledge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:17 PM   #4
Hazel Anyday

Talking Color My Hazels

I wish Ford had won the arguement with NBC and filmed them all in color that first year. But still NBC was the first network to go all color, that's really why Hazel is in color in 1963 while all shows from the 2 other networks were still being shot in b/w. At least NBC got the notion a year after the Ford folks' request, if Hazel were first shown on CBS we would not see any color Hazels till the Steve Baxter episodes!!! Imagine that?? THank goodness NBC did film in color as early as they did.

Now maybe Ford can help with getting out the color seasons of Hazel onto DVD. I have the complete series now on DVD from my own recordings, but I'd love to get a restored version of Hazel's color years the same beautiful way Sony put out Gidget in color and fully beautifully restored. Come on Sony, put out the rest of the Hazel series on DVD and in the beautiful color way you did with Gidget!!

Last edited by Hazel Anyday; 05-30-2007 at 04:59 PM.
Hazel Anyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:55 PM   #5
63_galaxie XL
Occasional Poster

Default Hazel, color & sponsorship!!!

Actually I figured they did that one episode in color because she was getting a color set. I wasn't completely aware that "Ford" provided the sponsorship for the show although it does make sense. What a great way to promote your uncoming products. The full-size '63 Ford's are by far my personal favorite from that era and I enjoy the opening shots almost as much as I do the rest of the show. Black & White or color, I don't care we are already for at least season 2 and 3. Come on Sony, this is truly quality TV. Good cleaning family viewing, quality scripts and actors who we grew endeared to.
New TV is good and I realize that the Hazel shows probably wouldn't have a chance of suriving in today's times. It wasn't meant to, these shows dealt with simple concerns like finding a dog for Harold. This is one of several episodes where Bobby Buntrock displayed a great deal of depth in his acting ability. On a side note, thanks again Brian for bringing to my attention surrounding the facts about Bobby's untimely passing and the fact that after all these years you are still looking after your friend's legency. We have lost almost everyone that appeared on that show at one time or another, but there character's live on through reruns and DVD's and those of us who spent countless hours recording these shows on VHS. We are coming up on the 5th anniversary passing of Whitney Blake and man or played Deidre's husband on the show. The day September 28, what a coincidence is that.
63_galaxie XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:27 PM   #6
63_galaxie XL
Occasional Poster

Default Jack X Fields and Whitney Blake

To CAcandlesticks, Thanks for the infomation about the relationship between Whitney's second husband Jack Fields and herself. When A&E did a biography on Merideth Baxter some years ago they also spotlighted Whitney Blake at great lenght talking about her career.
63_galaxie XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:30 PM   #7
TV Knowledge Fan

Default Again, I remind everyone...

....that "HAZEL" was fully sponsored by Ford Motor Company between 1961 and '65. There's an "integrated" commerical from the 1963'-'64 season on youtube.com featuring Shirley Booth, in character, directly plugging one of the new '64 Ford models to viewers at the end of an episode. The Baxter's Ford that's promiently seen in the 1962-'65 opening titles was another subtle reminder [before the sponsor I.D. that was omitted in syndication] of just WHO the advertiser paying for the show was....Ford "owned" that Thursday 9:30pm(et) time period on NBC for at least 13 years, from "FORD THEATER", through "THE FORD SHOW STARRING TENNESSEE ERNIE FORD" and- "HAZEL".

TV Knowledge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote