Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

227 links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / 227 Photo Gallery

227 - The Complete First Season

Buy 227 - The Complete First Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > 227
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Hart to Hart Coming to Hallmark Movies & Mysteries; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of December 29, 2014)
Merry Christmas from SitcomsOnline; Off the Map with Shannen Doherty and Holly Marie Combs
2014 Christmas Eve and Christmas Day TV Marathons & Movies
ABC Family's Throwback Week Block; NBC Alters Friday Line-Up in January
UP TV Acquires Growing Pains for January 2015; USA Network Orders Hacker Drama Starring Christian Slater
Week 13 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: Charlie Sheen to Appear in The Goldbergs, and Possibly Two and a Half Men?; Becker Finished on DVD

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series Family Ties - The Complete Series Happy Days - The Sixth Season The Jeffersons - The Complete Series Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series

10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonder Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series / Review
11/04 - The Exes - Seasons 1 & 2
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series / Review
11/06 - Kenan & Kel - The Best of Seasons 3 & 4
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dharma & Greg - The Complete Season 2
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Broad City - Season 1
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/02 - The Simpsons - The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - Family Guy - Volume 13
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-10-2006, 12:29 AM   #1
GSU2004
Forum Regular

Default What was the point of Alexandria?

I was watching the holiday episode marathon on TVOne and saw some of the 227 episodes with Alexandria. What was the point of adding her to the show? She disappeared with no explanation in the fifth season. I would have much rather see more dialogue developed between Regina King and Kia Goodwin's characters. Maybe give Calvin a reoccuring friend that she would have liked or something. What does everyone else think?
Old 12-10-2006, 01:48 PM   #2
KristinHerreraFan
Dana is Buena

Send a message via AIM to KristinHerreraFan Send a message via MSN to KristinHerreraFan

Alexandria was in some program where she lived with the Jenkins' for one year, thats why she was only in season 4.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:41 PM   #3
Brieannas21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSU2004
I was watching the holiday episode marathon on TVOne and saw some of the 227 episodes with Alexandria. What was the point of adding her to the show? She disappeared with no explanation in the fifth season. I would have much rather see more dialogue developed between Regina King and Kia Goodwin's characters. Maybe give Calvin a reoccuring friend that she would have liked or something. What does everyone else think?

I agree, out of all of the tv shows that added little kids to the cast to boost the ratings. I think Alexandria was the only kid I didn't like at all. Her character wasn't needed at all.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:39 AM   #4
GSU2004
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinHerreraFan
Alexandria was in some program where she lived with the Jenkins' for one year, thats why she was only in season 4.

I don't think the audience was that receptive to her as she disappeared so quickly. The same thing happened to the kid that moved in with the Bundy's on Married with Children for a half season.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:42 AM   #5
GSU2004
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieannas21
I agree, out of all of the tv shows that added little kids to the cast to boost the ratings. I think Alexandria was the only kid I didn't like at all. Her character wasn't needed at all.

True and that is a jump the shark moment for them also. At least the producers of Married with Children were smart enough to ditch the kid in the middle of the season rather than letting the audience suffer. I have seen few shows last a season or two longer after the introduction of new kids either through pregnancy or being ditched by some relative.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:47 PM   #6
TALLguyinKY

I loved 227, but Alexandria annoyed me so much (and we're the same age, so I was 10 watching her on the show when she was 10). Thank goodness she was only on for one season...I guess seasons 1-3 are to me the "classic years"---now if only we could get those on DVD!
Old 12-16-2006, 08:23 PM   #7
GSU2004
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TALLguyinKY
I loved 227, but Alexandria annoyed me so much (and we're the same age, so I was 10 watching her on the show when she was 10). Thank goodness she was only on for one season...I guess seasons 1-3 are to me the "classic years"---now if only we could get those on DVD!

I always had resentment towards Alexandria because they eliminated Tiffany with no explanation earlier in the show. I always hate when they make kids either too brainiac or too annoying. Or in Alexandria's case, both! How did they get rid of her? Did they do her like Tiffany? lol
Old 02-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
Guy Incognito
Frequent Poster
International Man of Misery

Well, the behind-the-scenes explanation is that Countess Vaughn was a contestant on Star Search and mentioned that 227 was her favorite show, and I guess someone from the program was watching and decided that adding a "cute kid" to the ensemble might boost ratings. Obviously, it didn't work out and worse, she was never allowed to sing (which was her true talent) or do anything even remotely interesting outside of a hilarious Jackée impersonation (and, after watching the Life After... specials on both women, I'm guessing Ms. Harry quickly put a stop to THAT).

Things definitely went downhill fast after Season Two, as there was just one misstep after another....
Old 02-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Incognito
Well, the behind-the-scenes explanation is that Countess Vaughn was a contestant on Star Search and mentioned that 227 was her favorite show, and I guess someone from the program was watching and decided that adding a "cute kid" to the ensemble might boost ratings. Obviously, it didn't work out and worse, she was never allowed to sing (which was her true talent) or do anything even remotely interesting outside of a hilarious Jackée impersonation (and, after watching the Life After... specials on both women, I'm guessing Ms. Harry quickly put a stop to THAT).

Things definitely went downhill fast after Season Two, as there was just one misstep after another....

I actually think things got better after season two. Seasons three through five are my favorite seasons. I liked Alexandria. I was 10 when she debuted as well. I thought she was annoying but still liked her. She was a kid who accomplished something I wanted to do and that was be on TV. LOL. I had no problem with her being on the show.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasE
I actually think things got better after season two. Seasons three through five are my favorite seasons. I liked Alexandria. I was 10 when she debuted as well. I thought she was annoying but still liked her. She was a kid who accomplished something I wanted to do and that was be on TV. LOL. I had no problem with her being on the show.

Only if someone mentions it, you would never know that Alexandria is Kim from the Parkers-lol She looked completely different
Old 02-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
Only if someone mentions it, you would never know that Alexandria is Kim from the Parkers-lol She looked completely different

Nah. I could tell it was her. LOL. However, they are two different characters. I can see how you would think that.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasE
Nah. I could tell it was her. LOL. However, they are two different characters. I can see how you would think that.

Her face just didn't look the same.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #13
GARFIELDKOOL

I am watching the series in order, and I don't see the point of her either. Why did the writers decide to bring in an 11 year old college girl who doesn't like normal kids stuff? She would have been better accepted if they explained that she was a relative of the Jenkins and was just a normal kid. They went and created something so unrealistic.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #14
GARFIELDKOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSU2004

Just watched an episode and they did explain Alexandria's exit. The jenkins received a letter from her father, and he wanted her to live with him in London. mary and lester said they were going to miss her, so that explained her exit.