Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 24, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Dick Van Dyke to Receive BAFTA Award; Hulu to Add 3000 Episodes to Library
Hulu's Fall 2017 Slate Includes Final Season of The Mindy Project and New Season of Freakish
Hulu Gets 3,000 Episodes from 20th Century Fox; Netflix Comedy Atypical Launches Aug. 11
Antenna TV to Add 9 Sitcoms for Fall 2017; MeTV and Decades Remembers Martin Landau
Alec Baldwin Goes Live on NBC in 2018; Nick Sitcom Star Gets Nick Movie
TBS Presents Alien-ish Week with Sitcoms; Viacom Snags Tyler Perry
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 17, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Hulu Gets Past Seasons of Fox Animated Comedies; New Alice DVDs on the Way

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

ALF - The Complete DVD Collection The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - The Complete Series Superstore - Season Two Father Knows Best - Season Six Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Sixth Season

05/02 - Red, White and Blue Collar Sitcoms - Make TV Great Again
05/09 - ALF - The Complete DVD Collection
05/09 - Divorce - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
05/09 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Second Season
05/16 - The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - The Complete Series
06/13 - The Andy Griffith Show - Return to Mayberry
06/13 - That's My Mama - The Complete Series
06/20 - Workaholics - The Final (Seventh) Season
06/20 - Workaholics - The Complete Series
06/27 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Third Season
07/04 - Superstore - Season Two
07/18 - Father Knows Best - Season Six
07/25 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Sixth Season
07/25 - Girls - The Final (Sixth) Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-02-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
FBH75
Occasional Poster

Default If you could have written the final two (2) episodes

of the series, how would you have re-written it made it end?

For some strange reason I always wanted Dorothy and Stan to get back together. I also think I would have had a different ending for Blanche and Rose. Example, had each one of them to have found that special man in their lives that was absolutely perfect for each of them.

But anyway, how would you have re-written the ending?
Old 05-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
80sTrivia
Forum Veteran
Pop Culture Soothsayer

Having just watched the series finale again today, I really have to say that it was one of the best series finales of all time. It was wonderful to see long-suffering Dorothy finally finding happiness in love, at long last. The ending when Dorothy is saying goodbye to Sophia, Blanche and Rose, is wonderful and full of heart-felt emotion.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:02 AM   #3
FBH75
Occasional Poster

Oh, come on! You guys can do better than that. Just for fun re-write the show the way you think it should have ended.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:06 AM   #4
browneyes106

I would have left Dorothy/Lucas marriage storyline in the finale. I would had Miles and Rose reunite, Blanche starts a serious relationship with the pharmacist and Sophia, stays living with Blanche and Rose and they begin running a community center for older women.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:38 AM   #5
MikeL
Mike Lutton Dvd Legond!

oh that sounds good how about sophia blanche rose run shadey pines nursing home now that would be intresting stan n miles can be there what u think
Old 05-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
sodalake
Frequent Poster

I thought Dorothy marrying Lucas was all very silly. It would have made more sense to have him come on the scene earlier in the season and dated Dorothy for awhile and then have the two of them get married in the finale.

I agree it might have been better for Dorothy to have remarried Stan. If they had only waited and not had them attempt at remarrying the previous season, they could have used that as the finale with Debbie Reynolds joining the cast to replace Dorothy. It would have been far better than all the silly storylines with Stan going to therapy with that fake monkey crap.

Regarding Miles...He made his last appearance on the show in the episode "Rose: Portrait of a Woman" that aired on March 7, 1992. It was strange to me that he made no appearance in the following episodes "Home Again, Rose" which was a two-part episode when Rose had her open heart surgery or in the series finale episode.

I guess at some point he and Rose stopped seeing each other because on Golden Palace, Rose was upset over him getting married. I never did really understand what happened between them.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
FBH75
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyes106
I would have left Dorothy/Lucas marriage storyline in the finale. I would had Miles and Rose reunite, Blanche starts a serious relationship with the pharmacist and Sophia, stays living with Blanche and Rose and they begin running a community center for older women.

That would have been a pretty interesting ending and at the same time ended with a social theme that is dear to the heart of older people.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:05 PM   #8
JL82
Frequent Poster

Post Doesn't Miles Belong in "Home Again?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodalake
I thought Dorothy marrying Lucas was all very silly. It would have made more sense to have him come on the scene earlier in the season and dated Dorothy for awhile and then have the two of them get married in the finale.

I agree it might have been better for Dorothy to have remarried Stan. If they had only waited and not had them attempt at remarrying the previous season, they could have used that as the finale with Debbie Reynolds joining the cast to replace Dorothy. It would have been far better than all the silly storylines with Stan going to therapy with that fake monkey crap.

Regarding Miles...He made his last appearance on the show in the episode "Rose: Portrait of a Woman" that aired on March 7, 1992. It was strange to me that he made no appearance in the following episodes "Home Again, Rose" which was a two-part episode when Rose had her open heart surgery or in the series finale episode.

I guess at some point he and Rose stopped seeing each other because on Golden Palace, Rose was upset over him getting married. I never did really understand what happened between them.

New here!

I realize it’s a bit off-topic, but Miles and Rose are kind of a favorite GG sub-topic of mine, so to answer sodalake’s question:

In an earlier episode of Golden Palace, the third one, I think, Miles has been neglecting Rose, and Blanche finds what she thinks is evidence of his cheating. Now, what she sees isn’t what it seems, but Miles, to prevent the whole issue from coming between Rose and Blanche, confesses that he has met someone else he cares about and is “confused.”

While he’s not as bad as some of the jerks we’ve seen on either show, he just isn’t the same Miles of GG. If you remember, most of the GG episodes involving Miles involved ROSE’s confusion about the relationship: she found things about Miles she didn’t like; she thought she might be interested in someone else; or she couldn’t quite make a commitment. And Miles always either fought for her, waited for her, or tried harder to please her. Then, he literally risks his life for her in at least two episodes: jumping out of a plane, and then breaking out of the Witness Protection Program. Come on – a year or two ago he defied the mob and the feds for her, and now he’s not sure how he feels?

So, I know it’s not really the answer to the question here, but I would really want to re-write the Golden Palace episodes where he meets this other woman Fern, and then marries her.

There’s no indication in GG that they’ve broken up. They both go a little crazy in Mid-Winter Night’s Dream, after talking marriage, and decide they’re not ready. Actually, there, Miles seems a little more like he is in Golden Palace – not as romantic, not as sure he’s in love with Rose. If that were the last appearance of Miles, we might think they were “taking a step back,” from each other. But then Rose: Portrait of a Woman (with the boudoir photography) comes right after that.

I agree with sodalake that the Dorothy/Lucas thing happens too fast, and I wouldn’t have written that. But I really felt like Miles belonged in the last FOUR episodes, the last two two-parters – “Home Again Rose,” and “One Flew Out…” Because if you think about it, they’re both big events in Rose’s life. Even though it’s Dorothy getting married, it’s the shakeup of Rose’s household. For some reason, she thinks it means she has to move out of Blanche’s house (I don’t really understand why) so you’d think she’d at least be thinking over her future with Miles. And even though she says he’s out of town at the beginning of “Home Again Rose,” you would think he’d be around when she was that seriously ill – even though he would have had the same problem at the hospital that the girls had – not being considered family. Nowadays people don’t stay in a hospital very long after surgery, but back then, I think Rose would have been in the hospital a while, and when they have the party, it seems like she has been. Consider that she and Miles met at the beginning of Season 5…if time was passing at all like it does in real life, they’d been together over two years.

And I know it still isn’t what FBH75 asked, because it isn't the finale, but I really wanted to re-write parts of Portrait of a Woman. I’m sorry, I know Blanche can be very entertaining, but that little speech she makes to Rose at career day (“If you don’t make yourself more interesting to Miles you’re going to lose him…”) is NOT something a real friend says. I would have liked Miles to find out about that and assure Rose she doesn’t have to be, well, Blanche, to be appealing to him.

Last edited by JL82 : 08-16-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
JL82
Frequent Poster

Default "And Then There Were Two..."

on Fanfiction.net takes place in a world where neither Dorothy/Lucas nor Golden Palace ever happened. In fact, none of the girls ever leave their "nest" to get married. But it takes place within the last few real-life years, basing Dorothy and Sophia's deaths on the deaths of Bea and Estelle, respectively.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:21 PM   #10
TV_Forever
Frequent Poster

Lol The final two episodes...

I think I might take the show to a new locale. I would have Blanche buy her Grammy's Plantation for a song because the new development there failed. I would have her start a finishing school for "Proper Southern Ladies". This would expose her character to younger men and she could have quite the time. She could also teach art classes from her vast experience at the museum job. Dorothy could easily teach there. And we could rekindle the relationship with Rose and Miles because of his time spent teaching while in the protection program.

Rose would teach agricultural things based on the "knowledge" she has from her Saint Olaf days.

Meanwhile, Sophia could be getting the girls from the school involved in all kinds of mischief. Playing poker, Gin Rummy, running businesses from their dorms and the like. Stan would have socked all his potato opener money into a new gadget that is a breakthrough in grounds keeping. And when he's down on his luck, he begs the girls to let him use the grounds to test his constantly "evolving" equipment.

Will be waiting to see what you think of that!
Old 03-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #11
JL82
Frequent Poster

[quote=sodalake]I thought Dorothy marrying Lucas was all very silly. It would have made more sense to have him come on the scene earlier in the season and dated Dorothy for awhile and then have the two of them get married in the finale.

Agreed. I'm all for a happy ending for Dororthy. What made this one "silly" was that she really hardly knew Lucas - she's known him a few days when he proposes "for real," and then two months when they get married. Yet she's so sure it's going to be perfect. And she's dated other guys longer than that and still had relationships fall apart.

Too bad they didn't think to introduce Lucas and Dorothy in the episode where Dorothy goes with Blanche to Big Daddy's funeral! Shouldn't he have been there anyway?

In real life, I wouldn't want someone to re-marry an ex like Stan, but in some ways, that would have been more realistic given their history.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:40 PM   #12
Dorothyfan1997
Frequent Poster

I would have put it like sophia finding out that salvatore had faked his own death because a gang in brooklyn waned to kill him and his family so he faked his own death and the last eppy sal arrives at the door and sophia and dorothy pass out and get smaked with a pepperoni stick ( to add some funny in their) and sal explaining to dorothy and sophia why he had faked his own death and had to change his name and was living in arkansas under the name of john williams and he beggs sophia to take him back and she does and her dorothy and sal move back to brooklyn and change their names to the partrienos ( i tried to think of somethin close to petrillo) and go back to their own appartment and dorothy remarries stan because he confesses to never cheat on her and he changes his outtake on life and desides to go to law school and dorothy gets a job as a brodway actress and blanche and rose move to saint olaf t take over a piece of land owned by roses adopted parents that was left to her
Old 07-19-2010, 02:18 AM   #13
MikeL
Mike Lutton Dvd Legond!

the final postor you left blanche out of the final episode
Old 07-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #14
Dorothyfan1997
Frequent Poster

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL
the final postor you left blanche out of the final episode
no i didnt she and rose moved to saint olaf to take over a piece of land