Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

PB's What's Happening!! and What's Happening Now!! Mini Page / What's Happening Now!! links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / What's Happening Now!! Photo Gallery / What's Happening!! Message Board

What's Happening Now!! - The Complete First Season

Buy What's Happening Now!! - The Complete First Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > What's Happening Now!!

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

American Dad! Returns on TBS with New Episodes; Brady Bunch HGTV Series Underway
WLNY's The Odd Couple Marathon on New Year's; ABC Orders More Episodes of Most Comedies
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 17, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: The Conners Second Season Looking Likely; Apple to Produce New Peanuts Content
Fri-Yay: Where Will The Good Place Go Next?; Everything's Gonna Be Okay at Freeform
ABC Mid-Season 2019 Schedule; Amy Sedaris Laffer Returns Feb. 19 on truTV
ABC Picks Up Comedy Starring Lake Bell, Dax Shepard; EPIX Dark Comedy Gets 3rd Season

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/16 - Man with a Plan - Season One
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
12/04 - Family Guy - Season Sixteen
12/04 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Sixth Season
12/18 - Our Cartoon President - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #31
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSU2004
I could imagine. None of the leads from WH were really in high demand. I think Ernest had some roles here and there. Haywood may have guest starred one one or two other shows but nothing steady. Danielle focused on her education. Shirley had a short lived sitcom and then went back to stand up comedy. Mabel went back to the theatre.

That's because the show wasn't that much of a hit to begin with so I can understand the actors not being that high in demand
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:56 AM   #32
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSU2004 View Post
Here is the TV Party article about that issue and others:
http://www.tvparty.com/recwhats.html

Here is the Urbanite article about that issue surrounding Fred and his wife. The article contains typos as it appears a rough draft was mistakenly placed on the online version. The print edition was much better
http://media.www.gsusignal.com/media...ntedstoriestab
I remember Ernest Thomas saying on the Unsung: Hollywood special on What's Happening!!, that ABC canceled What's Happening!! (or at least the straw that broke the camel's back) was when Fred Berry called the producers racists. Many of these producers according to Ernest, many of these producers were very sensitive about being called bigots since they had relatives who survived the Holocaust. Anyway, to make a long story short, the producers shot back at Fred by saying that since he doesn't like to work for "racists" they were going to end production of the show after three years.

On What's Happening Now!!, Fred's lack of humility and foresight is what got him in trouble again. Fred should've counted his blessings that he was able to get a second chance after all of the shenanigans that he pulled on the original show. But he of course, had to pull a Suzanne Somers on Three's Company firmly believing that he deserved a massive pay-raise since he was in theory, the main reason why people watched the show.

Fred needed to understand that What's Happening Now!! was a first-run syndicated show, and therefore was going to be cheaper than a prime time, network show. Also, I don't think that Fred/Rerun was as essential to the show (even though, the show did sorely missed his presence during the last two seasons) when compared to Ernest/Raj.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:01 AM   #33
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan View Post
That's because the show wasn't that much of a hit to begin with so I can understand the actors not being that high in demand
The original WH!! was actually a modest success during its three year run on ABC. For its first and third seasons (when it aired on Thursdays instead of Saturdays like in the second season), it was actually in the top 28. When the show entered syndication, it's ratings were better (kind of like what happened with the original Star Trek) than they were during its original network run. That's how WHN!! came about.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:44 PM   #34
mets82

I don't think Rerun was written out per say. They just never mentioned him.

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
mets82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:51 PM   #35
DJM77

Send a message via ICQ to DJM77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets82 View Post
I don't think Rerun was written out per say. They just never mentioned him.
They did mention him at some point, but I don't think that they said what happened to him.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:01 PM   #36
JR1
Forum Regular

As noted, Rerun was mentioned, and seen via flashbacks of the original series, in the season 2 episode "The Yard Sale."
JR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:35 AM   #37
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Fred Berry wasn't content to merely ruin the show once back in 1979, he had to do it again when the show was revived in the mid-eighties.

You'd think being out of work and struggling would have taught him a lesson, but drugs and ego really took their toll on him.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:08 PM   #38
JR1
Forum Regular

Default Another Rerun Mention in Season 2

In "The Sorority Sisters," when Raj sees Dee dressed as Heidi, he asked if she was wearing Rerun's baby clothes.

So, the show really didn't act as if he never existed after season 1- no Chuck Cunningham Syndrome, even if mentions of him ceased in season 3.
JR1 is offline   Reply With Quote