Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Laverne & Shirley links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Laverne & Shirley Photo Gallery


Laverne & Shirley - The Complete First Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Complete First Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Second Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Second Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Third Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Third Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Fourth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Fourth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Fifth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Fifth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Sixth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Sixth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Seventh Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Seventh Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Eighth and Final Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Eighth and Final Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Complete Series

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Laverne & Shirley

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Comcast to Launch 2 New Networks; Disney Sitcom Launches Jan. 25
Showtime's SMILF Returns for 2nd Season on Jan. 20; Bunk'd Renewed for 4th Season Without Key Stars
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 19, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: ABC Buys Rural Comedy From "Liberal Redneck" Trae Crowder; Crossover Event Planned for Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon
Fri-Yay: An Appreciation for Mike Schur's Comedies; IFC Acquires Pee-wee's Playhouse
Drunk History and Corporate Return in January; Jim Gaffigan Returns with Comedy Central Special
The Dick Van Dyke Show and I Love Lucy in Color on Dec. 14; The CW Sets January 2019 Premiere Dates


New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2015, 11:36 AM   #1
lj01
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 14, 2008
Posts: 69
Default Where Were Laverne & Shirley in Season 7?

I don't know if this has been addressed, but I don't see it in the reviews or anything so thought I would ask...

Season 8 is of course famous for the absence of Shirley, among other characters, however...

What was the deal with so many S7 episodes featuring the Laverne & Shirley characters in such limited quantity? For instance E21, "Crime Isn't Pretty" basically L&S make a cameo at the beginning and not seen rest of the episode. Was this related to some sort of off-(or on-) set turmoil?

I've got these:
E6-Night at the Awards, mostly Lenny & Squiggy
E11-Love in the Tar Pits, again mostly Lenny/Squiggy
E13-Rocky Ragu-mostly Carmine
E18-Helmut Weekend-mostly Squiggy
E19-That's Entertainment-everyone BUT Laverne/Shirley though they are present for the opera finale (about 4 minutes or so)
E20-Lightning Man-Carmine, Lenny & Squiggy
E21-Crime Isn't Pretty-Frank & Carmine

That's about a third of the season! Noticeably, there's a stretch (E18-21) of four episodes in a row, which to me indicates something was going on in the background which caused the main characters to be written out for a time period.

Too much Squiggy in that season, of course his character is meant to be somewhat unlikable but that really doesn't work when he becomes the main character for weeks at a time.

Thoughts or insights?
lj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
shotzette
De Facto Queen of Everything
Senior Member
 
shotzette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 30, 2004
Location: DC Metropolitan area
Posts: 1,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lj01
I don't know if this has been addressed, but I don't see it in the reviews or anything so thought I would ask...

Season 8 is of course famous for the absence of Shirley, among other characters, however...
Per Penny's book, they had originally decided to end the show after S6. However, Cindy Williams changed her mind at the last minute and TPTB used that to leverage most of the cast back.

Most of S7 was shot in a hurry to accommodation Cindy William's visible pregnancy. If you look in the later eps, you can see that she's showing. In the two S8 episodes she was in, she looked like she was ready to pop.

Penny Marshall had lost interest in the series by S7 and did what was only contractually required of her. Michael McKean was shooting/shopping "This is Spinal Tap" and making/promoting "Young Doctor's in Love". He's said in multiple interviews that the show had been very lenient with him regarding his other projects.

Betty Garrett had already committed to a play on Broadway when she was told that the show was going to run another year, hence Edna's "divorcing" Frank.
__________________
Shotzette

"Awesome" ends in "Me".

Coincidence?

I think not.
shotzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #3
lj01
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 14, 2008
Posts: 69
Default

Interesting, thanks for the info - I wasn't aware that the pregnancy went back to S7, I was just familiar with how things unfolded at beginning of S8.
lj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:19 AM   #4
PennyMarshallFan
mmm spiked milk and pepsi
Frequent Poster
 
PennyMarshallFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 05, 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 36
Send a message via AIM to PennyMarshallFan
Default

Yeah the show should have ended after Season 6 or 7. Season 8 is the worst and even Penny says she knows it is and she wishes they didn't even do it.
__________________
"A lost baby is worse than a wet friend." - Shirley Feeney

"Man, I love e-mail. Every day Rory and I write each other multiple times. It's great."
"You enjoy typing to people more than talking to them?"
"Wrong perspective. E-mail is a return to the romantic days of letter writing. It's pure Dickens."
- Lorelai and Luke, "Gilmore Girls"
PennyMarshallFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:48 AM   #5
TMC
Member
Forum Celebrity
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2001
Posts: 31,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotzette
Per Penny's book, they had originally decided to end the show after S6. However, Cindy Williams changed her mind at the last minute and TPTB used that to leverage most of the cast back.

Most of S7 was shot in a hurry to accommodation Cindy William's visible pregnancy. If you look in the later eps, you can see that she's showing. In the two S8 episodes she was in, she looked like she was ready to pop.

Penny Marshall had lost interest in the series by S7 and did what was only contractually required of her. Michael McKean was shooting/shopping "This is Spinal Tap" and making/promoting "Young Doctor's in Love". He's said in multiple interviews that the show had been very lenient with him regarding his other projects.

Betty Garrett had already committed to a play on Broadway when she was told that the show was going to run another year, hence Edna's "divorcing" Frank.
Supposedly, the 7th season of the show was intended to be the last so much of the cast had made plans for other projects. At the last minute, it was decided to go on for one more season so that's why David L. Lander is a regular but Michael McKean (Lenny) only made a few guest appearances. Betty Garrett was doing a Broadway show so they wrote her character had run off and left Laverne's dad. Apparently the episode where Laverne finds the note that Shirley has left was supposed to be the one dealing with Edna leaving Frank but when Williams left they rewrote it to deal with the more pressing void. The Edna-Frank situation was ignored until the second half of the season.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:33 PM   #6
James
Member
Senior Member
 
James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 07, 2001
Location: Dayton, Ohio, USA
Posts: 6,289
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
Supposedly, the 7th season of the show was intended to be the last so much of the cast had made plans for other projects. At the last minute, it was decided to go on for one more season so that's why David L. Lander is a regular but Michael McKean (Lenny) only made a few guest appearances. Betty Garrett was doing a Broadway show so they wrote her character had run off and left Laverne's dad. Apparently the episode where Laverne finds the note that Shirley has left was supposed to be the one dealing with Edna leaving Frank but when Williams left they rewrote it to deal with the more pressing void. The Edna-Frank situation was ignored until the second half of the season.
If Betty had moved on, why did they have Frank and Edna separate? Frank could have talked to Edna over the phone or gotten letters from her in those episodes; she just would have been invisible like Sara the telephone operator on "The Andy Griffith Show."
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:20 PM   #7
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"
Senior Member
 
Dr. Thong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 09, 2001
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 4,843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
If Betty had moved on, why did they have Frank and Edna separate? Frank could have talked to Edna over the phone or gotten letters from her in those episodes; she just would have been invisible like Sara the telephone operator on "The Andy Griffith Show."
I agree. It seemed like such a downer that Edna not only walked out on Frank, but took up with another man if memory serves me correctly.

It seemed so out of character. But then again, that last season was just so wrong. The show just slowly ran out of gas and just limped along to the finish line.

As I understand it, the network wanted one more season, but Penny was burned out and knew the show had seen better days and declined.
__________________
"Sunday has been cancelled due to lack of interest. That is all."
Dr. Thong is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

VigLink badge

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.