Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

COZI TV Goes One Step Beyond on Halloween; FX Unveils Simpsons World
Hogan's Heroes Returns to TV Land; CBS All Access Service Includes Classic TV
Week 4 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: CBS Introduces CBS All Access; Even More Remakes of Classic TV Series Under Consideration; New Family Guy DVDs
Friends Coming to Netflix in January 2015; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of October 20, 2014)
Sitcom Alum Neil Patrick Harris to Host 2015 Oscars; Yahoo! Orders Another Comedy, This Time From Bridesmaids Producer
Malin Akerman Vegas Comedy Coming to Yahoo!; All in the Family Seasons 1-4 on iTunes

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series Family Ties - The Complete Series Happy Days - The Sixth Season The Jeffersons - The Complete Series Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series

10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonder Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Read Our Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #16
gidgetgrape

I feel like the networks are schizophrenic. It's sort of a mismatch of family programming and adult-ish programming. ABC is showing "Don't Trust the B____ in Apartment 23," but at the same time they are the new home of the Hallmark Hall of Fame Movies ("Firelight" most recently). You can't really point to a show anymore and say that it belongs on a certain network because it can end up almost anywhere for no rhyme or reason.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #17
James

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Damn it, Kevin! How many times I tell you not to leave your bike in the driveway?”

“I asked you a question, damn it; what did you say?”

“NORCOM? What the hell is that?”

“He manages business? What the hell's that supposed to mean?”

Damn it, Norma. Don’t tell me to relax.”

“…about the incompetent jackasses in shipping and receiving?”

“We better go. Traffic’s gonna be hell.”

“Aw, well, hell, Pete… they can just get someone else, then.”

“What the hell do you want?”

“You thought maybe it would get there by today? What the hell—?”

“You what? You went with a new carrier? Jesus, Wisansky, you didn’t clear that with me! If this screws up the damn account, we’re all gonna be—“

“What the hell is this, Arnold?”

“Well, it sure as hell better be!”

You know what those are? Of course you do: they're all quotes from just one episode of The Wonder Years: the series' third, "My Father's Office" — years before Marlens and Black left the show.

"Gold standard," indeed. Even that utterance of "Jesus" would have a very hard time flying on television today, some 24 years later. I think you're picking and choosing what you find offensive. It seems that since you like The Wonder Years so much (and why wouldn't you; it was a great show), you're remembering its content with tunnel vision. I, however, recall it having about as much adult content as most other shows on television in its time (I gave you examples of "strong language" from just one very early episode. There are tons of other instances I could find for you if you'd like).

Unfortunately, Brad, television is way worse than that today. I mean, on TWY there was no violence or sexual material (except possibly in the episode "White Lies" from the last season in which Kevin gave the impression to the boys in the locker room that Winnie spent the night at his house--a really bad episode). I mean, watch Family Guy or Are You There, Chelsea? for comparison. (No, I didn't watch them! Everything I wanted to know about those shows I learned from the Parents Television Council!)
Old 05-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #18
Stuck In The '70's
Forum Legend

There should be a good balance between adult shows and family shows. LMS, The Middle and Once Upon a Time are pretty family oriented. I don't know about kids not being interested in prime time tv. When I was 6 and 7 I was watching AITF and Maude. I was only 11 and 12 when Soap and TC came on the air. I might not have gotten every joke but I did enjoy them. TV though is way worse today. My problem isn't with the fact that tv has changed so much. It appears though that a lot of shows just go for shock value instead of developing characters that people care for. If I don't like the characters then I stop watching.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #19
USATVFAN
Banned!!
Banned

The Cosby Show was really the last Family-Friendly Sitcom that both Parents and Kids of all ages could watch and Enjoy together. It was a very clean Show and did not try too be gross, offend anyone, Name calling, no Sex, violence or anything like Family Sitcoms on now do. It's was a very clean Family Show and it was not peachy-Sugar coated like Family Matters, Full house, Growing Pains etc. Roseanne is a show with family in it, but I always thought of Roseanne as a more Adults show sometime but kids still could watch it(Mostly the Earlier Seasons but later on is a different story) It's was a least in it's earlier Years a Good Family show for both parents and Kids with some Good Flamy Values.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #20
factsoflife

This is so silly, Don't Trust the B airs at 930pm and is CLEARLY meant for adults to watch. I see no reason why all shows should be for kids. We have plenty of options for kids.

Also, I find it pretty odd that most of these groups aren't taking issue with the content of these shows so much as the title of the series, neither of these shows would really be considered offensive if those complaining actually WATCHED the programs and looked at the actual content. Instead they are reacting to the title of these series.

The Good Wife

CBS Sunday's 9pm/EST.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #21
James28
Michael Jackson - DCS Leader

How would anyone in this forum like it if I or any other Sitcoms Online member worked for the Parents Television Council?
Old 05-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #22
USATVFAN
Banned!!
Banned

I actually wouldn't care, Family Guy is the sickest Show on right now.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #23
UMFaninMD
Forum Regular
I am Sherlocked

Quote:
It appears though that a lot of shows just go for shock value instead of developing characters that people care for. If I don't like the characters then I stop watching.

I totally agree. If you're going to have characters that are horribly written and have no rooting value, even if they are the bad guys/girls, it's not going to be an entertaining show. And if shows are going to have adult content, I feel it should be necessary to the plot, not thrown in to look "edgy" or cool. Many TV viewers aren't stupid and they know when something is done just because it can be. But it shouldn't be up to special interest groups or pearl-clutching conservatives to determine the viewing habits of the adult public. If you don't like the content of a show, just don't watch it.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #24
jasonbigley
Forum Regular

The decency of television has declined alot in the last 10 - 15 years. I think its all about ratings now a days. Yes, there were shows from the past that had some bad content to them, but most of them were mild compared to whats on now. Threes Company for example- people back in the day were complaining about the show because of a guy living with 2 females. But the show also taught about good friendships, how to help one another in a dire situation and they cared for each other like a family. I used to watch Married With Children also.......I know that had some pretty racy content also but I think its mild compared to whats on now. Alot of sitcoms on now I cant get into because the characters seemed to be mean spirited and spaced out.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #26
factsoflife

I don't think "decency" has declined, I think that people just have different values these days and feel a bit more open minded about what can be shown on TV.

A different generation is creating TV now and they had different experiences and a different viewpoint of the world, so they express things in a manner that they wouldn't have been able to do 15 years ago.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #27
mets82

A few things about this topic. I sometimes think that maybe there should be family friendly shows in the primetime hour. But with that, you have a problem. If you have a show like Leave it to Beaver or Father Knows Best, would that hold up today?

You also have to think of the dialogue. It was mentioned about Disney Channel shows. But I dont watch them, yet I have to wonder who really talks like that? Look at squeaky clean shows like Saved by the Bell. Do you think high schoolers really talk like that? I mean I just think when your target audience is little kids, do you honestly think high school kids would talk in a way that would be ok with little kids around?

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:56 PM   #28
factsoflife

It all depends on what you mean by "family friendly"... There are PLENTY of shows on TV (primetime or not) that are suitable for the majority of families out there. I think the issue is that a few puritanical people believe all shows should be sugarcoated, devoid of any realism and sanitized and take offense to even the most minor elements of "edginess".
Old 05-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #29
bmasters9
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by factsoflife
It all depends on what you mean by "family friendly"... There are PLENTY of shows on TV (primetime or not) that are suitable for the majority of families out there. I think the issue is that a few puritanical people believe all shows should be sugarcoated, devoid of any realism and sanitized and take offense to even the most minor elements of "edginess".

I used to be like that; not so much anymore. Although I dislike the "realism" part, I acknowledge that others like it, and so I seldom judge anymore.
"CBS Sports presents...The Prudential College Football Report, sponsored by The Prudential, offering a full range of insurance and other financial services. The Prudential: the Rock...it's strong, it's on the move, it's bigger than life."

(Don Robertson's spiel for The Prudential College Football Report in the 1986 season; modified from what it was in 1985)
Old 05-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #30
EmoJoe
Forum Legend
Cool cool cool

Send a message via MSN to EmoJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMFaninMD
I totally agree. If you're going to have characters that are horribly written and have no rooting value, even if they are the bad guys/girls, it's not going to be an entertaining show. And if shows are going to have adult content, I feel it should be necessary to the plot, not thrown in to look "edgy" or cool. Many TV viewers aren't stupid and they know when something is done just because it can be. But it shouldn't be up to special interest groups or pearl-clutching conservatives to determine the viewing habits of the adult public. If you don't like the content of a show, just don't watch it.
This is exactly how I feel. It annoys me when shows like Two and a Half Men and Family Guy put more stock into being "shocking" than developing good, relatable characters but if "edgy" content is well-written and well-executed then I have no problem with it, and I think it's a ridiculous that groups like the PTC want everyone to follow their standards.

www.sitcomsarestupid.blogspot.com