Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Married with Children links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Married with Children Photo Gallery

Married with Children - The Complete First Season

Buy Married with Children - The Complete First Season on DVD
Married with Children - The Complete Second Season

Buy Married with Children - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Married with Children - The Complete Third Season

Buy Married with Children - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Married with Children - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Married with Children - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Married with Children - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Married with Children - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Married with Children - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Married with Children - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Married with Children - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Married with Children - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Married with Children - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Married with Children - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Married with Children - The Complete Ninth Season

Buy Married with Children - The Complete Ninth Season on DVD
Married with Children - The Complete Tenth Season

Buy Married with Children - The Complete Tenth Season on DVD
Married with Children - The Complete Eleventh Season

Buy Married with Children - The Complete Eleventh Season on DVD
Married with Children - The Complete Series

Buy Married with Children - The Complete Series on DVD
Married with Children - Season One (Mill Creek)

Buy Married with Children - Season One (Mill Creek) on DVD
Married with Children - Season Two (Mill Creek)

Buy Married with Children - Season Two (Mill Creek) on DVD
Married with Children - Seasons One and Two (Mill Creek)

Buy Married with Children - Seasons One and Two (Mill Creek) on DVD
Married with Children - Seasons Three and Four (Mill Creek)

Buy Married with Children - Seasons Three and Four (Mill Creek) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Married with Children
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Day Marathon, Plus More Classics; MeTV Pays Tribute to Marcia Strassman Tonight
CBS Fall Pilot Review: The McCarthys - Premieres Thursday, Oct. 30; TBS Orders Comedy Pilot from Daily Show Producers
TV Land's Frightfully Funny Roseanne Halloween Marathon; CBS Picks Up Full Seasons of All New Dramas
ABC Cancels Manhattan Love Story; Remembering Marcia Strassman of Welcome Back, Kotter
Week 5 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: First Cancellation of the New Season; CSI Season Cut Short; New Mill Creek DVDs
Rare Game Show on GSN with TV Veterans; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of October 27, 2014)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series Family Ties - The Complete Series Happy Days - The Sixth Season The Jeffersons - The Complete Series Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series

10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonder Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Read Our Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #16
gidgetgrape

I tuned in too! I got a kick out of seeing the old gang.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #17
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Season 1 should never been aired in syndication
Old 04-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #18
Brad
Forum Veteran
05/26/2013. Taste the happy.

It's a bummer that Fox didn't want to sacrifice a few minutes of commercials just once so they could present the first episode of the network's first show the way it was originally broadcast 25 years ago. Talk about missed opportunity! As it is, the syndie cut can be seen on a constant basis on cable and in syndication.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #19
mets82

Brad, whats the syndie cut your talking about? I've seen the pilot on FOX, FX and in syndication and I dont see the difference.

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:23 AM   #20
Brieannas21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
That pilot is not worth watching because it's not the REAL AL BUNDY

I liked the first season, it was one of my favs, mainly because everyone wasn't stupid.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #21
MikeL
Forum Legond

im watching it now on vh1 lol.this one is funny.steve rhodes is funny bud kelly kind of bore me til later years
Old 04-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #22
Brad
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets82
Brad, whats the syndie cut your talking about? I've seen the pilot on FOX, FX and in syndication and I dont see the difference.

The version Fox showed Sunday night wasn't the originally-broadcast version from 1987; it was the edited version created for off-network syndication in 1991.

For starters, the opening credit sequence was the syndicated version, which snips out the refrain ("Try, try, try to separate them...") and the bit during which Al gives everyone money. This shortened version of the theme wasn't used on Fox broadcasts until the final season or two. Also, during the first two seasons, the opening sequence didn't originally use footage of the actors under their credits during the first two seasons; only a black screen.

Here's an example of the longer, Fox version of the opening theme from season two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np3o6TIQXW0

Another thing: the Fox versions of Married... with Children episodes didn't have "unnatural act breaks" that the reruns are plagued with (that is, the show goes to commercial in places where commercial breaks weren't meant to go). The show originally aired in the following format:

Opening Credits
Commercial
Act 1
Commercial
Act 2
Commercial
End Credits

And as is normally the case for syndicated reruns, there was probably 1-2 minutes cut from the episode itself. Fortunately, the original version is available unedited on the season one DVD, and is probably still on tape somewhere in Fox's library. It's a shame the network couldn't sacrifice a few minutes of commercial time on Sunday night to show their first show the way it was originally presented 25 years ago.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #23
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieannas21
I liked the first season, it was one of my favs, mainly because everyone wasn't stupid.

That's what made the show great because everyone was STUPID
Old 04-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #24
mets82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
The version Fox showed Sunday night wasn't the originally-broadcast version from 1987; it was the edited version created for off-network syndication in 1991.

For starters, the opening credit sequence was the syndicated version, which snips out the refrain ("Try, try, try to separate them...") and the bit during which Al gives everyone money. This shortened version of the theme wasn't used on Fox broadcasts until the final season or two. Also, during the first two seasons, the opening sequence didn't originally use footage of the actors under their credits during the first two seasons; only a black screen.

Here's an example of the longer, Fox version of the opening theme from season two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np3o6TIQXW0

Another thing: the Fox versions of Married... with Children episodes didn't have "unnatural act breaks" that the reruns are plagued with (that is, the show goes to commercial in places where commercial breaks weren't meant to go). The show originally aired in the following format:

Opening Credits
Commercial
Act 1
Commercial
Act 2
Commercial
End Credits

And as is normally the case for syndicated reruns, there was probably 1-2 minutes cut from the episode itself. Fortunately, the original version is available unedited on the season one DVD, and is probably still on tape somewhere in Fox's library. It's a shame the network couldn't sacrifice a few minutes of commercial time on Sunday night to show their first show the way it was originally presented 25 years ago.

I see what your talking about now. Im lucky they showed the first Married.. and the first Simpsons episode. It is a little different then what you usually see.

May I ask this question. You talk about the original version being on DVD but I have heard that they dont have the rights to the theme song, so there isnt a beginning when you watch the DVDs. Is that true?
Old 04-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #25
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets82
I see what your talking about now. Im lucky they showed the first Married.. and the first Simpsons episode. It is a little different then what you usually see.

May I ask this question. You talk about the original version being on DVD but I have heard that they dont have the rights to the theme song, so there isnt a beginning when you watch the DVDs. Is that true?

The original theme is replaced on the DVD with a instrumental opening
Old 04-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #26
Brad
Forum Veteran

Quote:
The original theme is replaced on the DVD with a instrumental opening
...starting with the third season. The original theme remains intact on the DVD releases of the first two seasons, though, and on the two Most Outrageous Episodes DVD compilations.

So again, the pilot episode is available on DVD uncut with the original theme music (and on Xfinity Streampix, as I posted last week).
Old 04-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #27
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
...starting with the third season. The original theme remains intact on the DVD releases of the first two seasons, though, and on the two Most Outrageous Episodes DVD compilations.

So again, the pilot episode is available on DVD uncut with the original theme music (and on Xfinity Streampix, as I posted last week).

Brad I have seasons 3 and 4 on DVD and the original theme is not included
Old 04-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #28
Brad
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Brad I have seasons 3 and 4 on DVD and the original theme is not included
That's correct. Starting with the third season, the theme music is replaced, and remains so for the remainder of the series releases. But it is left intact on the first two seasons.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #29
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
That's correct. Starting with the third season, the theme music is replaced, and remains so for the remainder of the series releases. But it is left intact on the first two seasons.

Oh ok I gotcha now, I thought u was saying it was no longer replaces after the second season. I didn't want to buy the first two seasons on DVD because those seasons are not that funny.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #30
Brad
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Oh ok I gotcha now, I thought u was saying it was no longer replaces after the second season. I didn't want to buy the first two seasons on DVD because those seasons are not that funny.
Yeah, the show definitely started to change in tone around the third and fourth season.