Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Married with Children links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Married with Children Photo Gallery


Married with Children - The Complete First Season

Buy Married with Children - The Complete First Season on DVD
Married with Children - The Complete Second Season

Buy Married with Children - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Married with Children - The Complete Third Season

Buy Married with Children - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Married with Children - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Married with Children - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Married with Children - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Married with Children - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Married with Children - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Married with Children - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Married with Children - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Married with Children - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Married with Children - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Married with Children - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Married with Children - The Complete Ninth Season

Buy Married with Children - The Complete Ninth Season on DVD
Married with Children - The Complete Tenth Season

Buy Married with Children - The Complete Tenth Season on DVD
Married with Children - The Complete Eleventh Season

Buy Married with Children - The Complete Eleventh Season on DVD
Married with Children - The Complete Series

Buy Married with Children - The Complete Series on DVD
Married with Children - Season One (Mill Creek)

Buy Married with Children - Season One (Mill Creek) on DVD
Married with Children - Season Two (Mill Creek)

Buy Married with Children - Season Two (Mill Creek) on DVD
Married with Children - Seasons One and Two (Mill Creek)

Buy Married with Children - Seasons One and Two (Mill Creek) on DVD
Married with Children - Seasons Three and Four (Mill Creek)

Buy Married with Children - Seasons Three and Four (Mill Creek) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Married with Children
User Name
Password


Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

Blossom, Big Bang Theory Star Hosting Candid Camera; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 28, 2014)
Here's Lucy Heading to Cozi TV; The CW Drops Comedies Seed, Backpackers
TVGN Adds Love Boat, Wings, Family Ties, and More; Hallmark's Lisa Whelchel/Kim Fields Movie Scores
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: FX, Includes 12-Day Simpsons Marathon on FXX; TCM Remembers James Garner
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: Fox, The CW; Remembering TV Legend James Garner
Summer 2014 Week 8 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Enlisted to Return as Online Series?; Batman and Wonder Years DVD Updates
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: CBS; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 21, 2014)
TV Land's Candid Camera Premieres Aug. 11; NBC Gives Debra Messing Series a Preview Airing
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: ABC, Includes Fall 2014 Premiere Dates; Hot in Cleveland Animated Episode to Air July 30 on TV Land
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC Networks; More Info on Apt. 23 on Logo, With 8 Unaired Episodes
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC; Entourage Coming to VH1 Classic
Summer 2014 Week 7 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Continues to Lead in Emmy Nominations; WKRP and Wonder Years DVD Updates
Blog Book Review - George Burns Television Productions: The Series and Pilots, 1950-1981; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 14, 2014)
The 66th Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Hallmark Channel at 2014 TCA Summer Press Tour
Sean Hayes Joining The Millers; Remembering Bob Hastings of McHale's Navy

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July)

07/01 - American Dad! - Volume 9
07/08 - The Soul Man - The Complete First Season
07/15 - Diff'rent Strokes - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 and 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #16
gidgetgrape
Senior Member
Hello out there in TV Land!
 
gidgetgrape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 20, 2003
Posts: 2,443
Default

I tuned in too! I got a kick out of seeing the old gang.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #17
TVFactFan
Forum Legend
Member
 
TVFactFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 83,684
Default

Season 1 should never been aired in syndication
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #18
Brad
Forum Veteran
05/26/2013. Taste the happy.
 
Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 17, 2001
Location: Oroville, California
Posts: 15,296
Default

It's a bummer that Fox didn't want to sacrifice a few minutes of commercials just once so they could present the first episode of the network's first show the way it was originally broadcast 25 years ago. Talk about missed opportunity! As it is, the syndie cut can be seen on a constant basis on cable and in syndication.
__________________
Twitter
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #19
mets82
Senior Member
Member
 
mets82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 14, 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,696
Default

Brad, whats the syndie cut your talking about? I've seen the pilot on FOX, FX and in syndication and I dont see the difference.
__________________
http://www.superbowlgreatness.blogspot.com/

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:23 AM   #20
Brieannas21
Senior Member
Member
 
Brieannas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 05, 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
That pilot is not worth watching because it's not the REAL AL BUNDY

I liked the first season, it was one of my favs, mainly because everyone wasn't stupid.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #21
MikeL
Senior Member
Forum Legond
 
MikeL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 05, 2005
Location: usa pennsyvania
Posts: 4,538
Default

im watching it now on vh1 lol.this one is funny.steve rhodes is funny bud kelly kind of bore me til later years
__________________
Tv And DVD Addict
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #22
Brad
Forum Veteran
05/26/2013. Taste the happy.
 
Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 17, 2001
Location: Oroville, California
Posts: 15,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets82
Brad, whats the syndie cut your talking about? I've seen the pilot on FOX, FX and in syndication and I dont see the difference.

The version Fox showed Sunday night wasn't the originally-broadcast version from 1987; it was the edited version created for off-network syndication in 1991.

For starters, the opening credit sequence was the syndicated version, which snips out the refrain ("Try, try, try to separate them...") and the bit during which Al gives everyone money. This shortened version of the theme wasn't used on Fox broadcasts until the final season or two. Also, during the first two seasons, the opening sequence didn't originally use footage of the actors under their credits during the first two seasons; only a black screen.

Here's an example of the longer, Fox version of the opening theme from season two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np3o6TIQXW0

Another thing: the Fox versions of Married... with Children episodes didn't have "unnatural act breaks" that the reruns are plagued with (that is, the show goes to commercial in places where commercial breaks weren't meant to go). The show originally aired in the following format:

Opening Credits
Commercial
Act 1
Commercial
Act 2
Commercial
End Credits

And as is normally the case for syndicated reruns, there was probably 1-2 minutes cut from the episode itself. Fortunately, the original version is available unedited on the season one DVD, and is probably still on tape somewhere in Fox's library. It's a shame the network couldn't sacrifice a few minutes of commercial time on Sunday night to show their first show the way it was originally presented 25 years ago.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #23
TVFactFan
Forum Legend
Member
 
TVFactFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 83,684
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieannas21
I liked the first season, it was one of my favs, mainly because everyone wasn't stupid.


That's what made the show great because everyone was STUPID
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #24
mets82
Senior Member
Member
 
mets82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 14, 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
The version Fox showed Sunday night wasn't the originally-broadcast version from 1987; it was the edited version created for off-network syndication in 1991.

For starters, the opening credit sequence was the syndicated version, which snips out the refrain ("Try, try, try to separate them...") and the bit during which Al gives everyone money. This shortened version of the theme wasn't used on Fox broadcasts until the final season or two. Also, during the first two seasons, the opening sequence didn't originally use footage of the actors under their credits during the first two seasons; only a black screen.

Here's an example of the longer, Fox version of the opening theme from season two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np3o6TIQXW0


Another thing: the Fox versions of Married... with Children episodes didn't have "unnatural act breaks" that the reruns are plagued with (that is, the show goes to commercial in places where commercial breaks weren't meant to go). The show originally aired in the following format:

Opening Credits
Commercial
Act 1
Commercial
Act 2
Commercial
End Credits

And as is normally the case for syndicated reruns, there was probably 1-2 minutes cut from the episode itself. Fortunately, the original version is available unedited on the season one DVD, and is probably still on tape somewhere in Fox's library. It's a shame the network couldn't sacrifice a few minutes of commercial time on Sunday night to show their first show the way it was originally presented 25 years ago.


I see what your talking about now. Im lucky they showed the first Married.. and the first Simpsons episode. It is a little different then what you usually see.

May I ask this question. You talk about the original version being on DVD but I have heard that they dont have the rights to the theme song, so there isnt a beginning when you watch the DVDs. Is that true?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #25
TVFactFan
Forum Legend
Member
 
TVFactFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 83,684
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets82
I see what your talking about now. Im lucky they showed the first Married.. and the first Simpsons episode. It is a little different then what you usually see.

May I ask this question. You talk about the original version being on DVD but I have heard that they dont have the rights to the theme song, so there isnt a beginning when you watch the DVDs. Is that true?


The original theme is replaced on the DVD with a instrumental opening
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #26
Brad
Forum Veteran
05/26/2013. Taste the happy.
 
Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 17, 2001
Location: Oroville, California
Posts: 15,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
The original theme is replaced on the DVD with a instrumental opening
...starting with the third season. The original theme remains intact on the DVD releases of the first two seasons, though, and on the two Most Outrageous Episodes DVD compilations.

So again, the pilot episode is available on DVD uncut with the original theme music (and on Xfinity Streampix, as I posted last week).
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #27
TVFactFan
Forum Legend
Member
 
TVFactFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 83,684
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
...starting with the third season. The original theme remains intact on the DVD releases of the first two seasons, though, and on the two Most Outrageous Episodes DVD compilations.

So again, the pilot episode is available on DVD uncut with the original theme music (and on Xfinity Streampix, as I posted last week).


Brad I have seasons 3 and 4 on DVD and the original theme is not included
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #28
Brad
Forum Veteran
05/26/2013. Taste the happy.
 
Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 17, 2001
Location: Oroville, California
Posts: 15,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
Brad I have seasons 3 and 4 on DVD and the original theme is not included
That's correct. Starting with the third season, the theme music is replaced, and remains so for the remainder of the series releases. But it is left intact on the first two seasons.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #29
TVFactFan
Forum Legend
Member
 
TVFactFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 83,684
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
That's correct. Starting with the third season, the theme music is replaced, and remains so for the remainder of the series releases. But it is left intact on the first two seasons.


Oh ok I gotcha now, I thought u was saying it was no longer replaces after the second season. I didn't want to buy the first two seasons on DVD because those seasons are not that funny.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #30
Brad
Forum Veteran
05/26/2013. Taste the happy.
 
Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 17, 2001
Location: Oroville, California
Posts: 15,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
Oh ok I gotcha now, I thought u was saying it was no longer replaces after the second season. I didn't want to buy the first two seasons on DVD because those seasons are not that funny.
Yeah, the show definitely started to change in tone around the third and fourth season.
  Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:16 PM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.5.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.