Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Dick Van Dyke Show (Sitcoms Online) / The Dick Van Dyke Show links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Dick Van Dyke Show Photo Gallery

The Dick Van Dyke Show - Season One

Buy The Dick Van Dyke Show - Season One on DVD
The Dick Van Dyke Show - Season Two

Buy The Dick Van Dyke Show - Season Two on DVD
The Dick Van Dyke Show - Season Three

Buy The Dick Van Dyke Show - Season Three on DVD
The Dick Van Dyke Show - Season Four

Buy The Dick Van Dyke Show - Season Four on DVD
The Dick Van Dyke Show - Season Five

Buy The Dick Van Dyke Show - Season Five on DVD
The Dick Van Dyke Show - The Complete Series (DVD)

Buy The Dick Van Dyke Show - The Complete Series on DVD
The Dick Van Dyke Show - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

Buy The Dick Van Dyke Show - The Complete Series on Blu-ray
The Dick Van Dyke Show - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)

Buy The Dick Van Dyke Show - The Complete First Season on Blu-ray
The Dick Van Dyke Show - 50th Anniversary Edition - Fan Favorites

Buy The Dick Van Dyke Show - 50th Anniversary Edition - Fan Favorites on DVD
The Official Dick Van Dyke Show Book (Revised and Updated Edition)

Buy The Official Dick Van Dyke Show Book (Revised and Updated Edition)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > The Dick Van Dyke Show
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

Blossom, Big Bang Theory Star Hosting Candid Camera; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 28, 2014)
Here's Lucy Heading to Cozi TV; The CW Drops Comedies Seed, Backpackers
TVGN Adds Love Boat, Wings, Family Ties, and More; Hallmark's Lisa Whelchel/Kim Fields Movie Scores
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: FX, Includes 12-Day Simpsons Marathon on FXX; TCM Remembers James Garner
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: Fox, The CW; Remembering TV Legend James Garner
Summer 2014 Week 8 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Enlisted to Return as Online Series?; Batman and Wonder Years DVD Updates
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: CBS; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 21, 2014)
TV Land's Candid Camera Premieres Aug. 11; NBC Gives Debra Messing Series a Preview Airing
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: ABC, Includes Fall 2014 Premiere Dates; Hot in Cleveland Animated Episode to Air July 30 on TV Land
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC Networks; More Info on Apt. 23 on Logo, With 8 Unaired Episodes
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC; Entourage Coming to VH1 Classic
Summer 2014 Week 7 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Continues to Lead in Emmy Nominations; WKRP and Wonder Years DVD Updates
Blog Book Review - George Burns Television Productions: The Series and Pilots, 1950-1981; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 14, 2014)
The 66th Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Hallmark Channel at 2014 TCA Summer Press Tour
Sean Hayes Joining The Millers; Remembering Bob Hastings of McHale's Navy

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July)

07/01 - American Dad! - Volume 9
07/08 - The Soul Man - The Complete First Season
07/15 - Diff'rent Strokes - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 and 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-20-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
LauraNamesake
Forum Regular
Oh Rob!!!

Lol It's The Little Things...

What are some little things in TDVDS that don't fail to make you laugh?
One of mine is in Big Max Calvada, where Rob is laying in bed and doing the finger thing, I just laugh everytime!!! Another is in Never Name A Duck, when Rob is telling Laura about his dream about when Stanley was in the sink and he accidently turned on the garbage disposal. Another one (from my favorite episode "A Long Nights Journey Into Day") is when Rob hears something, and goes to get out of the bed and steps on Millie laying on the floor!!
What are spme of your favorites?

MR. GRANT: (sarcasticly) Hey Mary, do you think a single raw carrot will put any more ugly fat on my body?
MARY: Not if you STICK IT UP YOUR NOSE.
MR. GRANT: What did you say?
MARY: Nothing, I said nothing.
~The Mary Tyler Moore Show

ROB: He said you were lovely!
LAURA: How did he know?!?!?!?!
--The Dick Van Dyke Show

I X3 Dick Van Dyke!!!

Old 08-20-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
cablejockey
Forum Regular

Whenever Laura would say 'oh Rob'; whenever Buddy would insult Mel Cooley, and the episode with the walnuts and Danny Thomas is always funny.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:04 PM   #3
Larry Surrell
Forum Regular
Ed M. 1918-2006 RIP

Some of my favorites are:

When Laura is home alone while everybody else goes camping. Rob called to give her the phone number of where they're staying and when Laura pulls the cap off the pen to write it down she sets off Millie's "Burglar Beeper."

When Laura and Millie are taking a creative writing class and Millie reads her essay about how sloppy Jerry is. She gets so into it that she just starts complaining about him to the class.

When Rob is rifling through Laura's jewelry box looking for a bullet and every time he opens it the music plays. Then the last time he opens it nothing happens. Rob leaves the box open and just as he opens the bedroom door the music starts. I especially love watching that because when I was a kid my mother had a jewelry box just like that and it brings back wonderful memories of those days (although she never kept bullets in hers!).

Those and many more gags on that show make me laugh out loud, even though I've seen every episode many times.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
Lolac
Dolce far niente, Carissima!

One that never fails to make me laugh out loud is Rob's reaction when Laura confesses that she told America that Alan Brady is bald in "Coast-to-coast Big Mouth." Another is in "October Eve" after Laura tells him the story of the painting and he pretends to be sweet and understanding but when she leaves the room, he pulls the burners off the stove. I also love the sketch in "Happy Spangler," where Rob does the lecture on comedy. There are more, but I can't think right now!

Lolac
Old 08-20-2008, 10:38 PM   #5
LauraNamesake
Forum Regular
Oh Rob!!!

Oh I forgot about the jewlery box!! That's another one that "breaks me up" (in the words of that guy in "Big Max Calvada" (that one gets my dad every time)). And the music plays and he can't get it out! That is like my FAVORITE "Oh Rob!!" before he opens it because she knows what is going to happen!!
Old 08-23-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
goodolddays
Frequent Poster

I like the occasional "out of left field" one-liners, like when Rob and Laura (just home from the hospital after Richie is born) are mulling over who sent the flowers, which included a card from Dick and Betty Carter. Neither knows such people and Rob says, "The only Dick and Betty Carter I know are Phil and Edna Greenbaum."
Old 08-24-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
Indy788
Frequent Poster

That's a great line goodolddays and definitely makes me laugh every time as well.

I love the way Rob acts in Never Bathe on Saturday and the ridiculous things he says because he's so excited. "Don't toy with me you saucy witch," "they've got some neat places in this room," etc. Also in this episode when Bill Idelson catches Rob talking to himself in the mirror and Rob waves to him gets me every time.

Also, in 100 Terrible Hours what never fails to make me laugh is when Rob has been up around 92 hours and Laura comes in and tells him Alan Brady wants to see him. That whole conversation is hilarious to me because Rob goes into hysterics about the cat in the tree.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #8
goodolddays
Frequent Poster

Hi, Indy

Yes, I liked those episodes as well, but someone correct me if I'm wrong, I believe Rob's line to Laura (in the locked bathroom) was "saucy wench," not witch. ??

And just slightly off topic, in the same episode, when the maid comes with the key which will (supposedly) open the bathroom door, Laura, not knowing she's there, says "Where's the stupid maid with the key ?!" Then to comfort the offended maid, Rob says, "We had a stupid maid once." I hope that's not a reference to Maria, the tie-painting maid ! I didn't think she was stupid. Inexperienced, naive, yes. Not stupid. Maybe it was just a line created for the moment without intending to be speaking of Maria. ???
Old 08-24-2008, 07:56 PM   #9
Indy788
Frequent Poster

Oops, it is wench! It was just a mistyping on my part, sorry!

I always thought it was just a line said in the moment rather than a reference to Maria, but who knows. OT, but Kathleen Freeman was marvelous in that role as the maid, as she is in any role she did.

Also Laura in Pink Pills and Purple Parents always gets me, especially near the end where she is tipsy and says, "Gonna have a little music, moo-moo, oh yes!" "
Old 08-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #10
goodolddays
Frequent Poster

Yes, Kathleen Freeman was always good. As I recall she did a great job playing the co-owner of the lodge where Laura and Rob honeymooned.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:42 AM   #11
Carrie
Dreamin' of Jeannie

The entire Cat Burglar episode makes me laugh! I always laugh in "The Curious Thing About Women" when Laura opens up Rob's package and inflates the raft. Rob trying not to sneeze in "Gesundheit, Darling" also cracks me up.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:12 AM   #12
hank18
Frequent Poster

My favorite running gag is whenever Buddy is into an idea that nobody else likes and finally he'll just give up and say "...or..." and trail off. I think that's in the "Curious Thing About Women" episode and a few others.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #13
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Lol

Laura's botched dye job!!!!!!!!

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013