Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

All in the Family (Sitcoms Online) / All in the Family links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / All in the Family Photo Gallery

All in the Family - The Complete First Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete First Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Second Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Second Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Third Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Third Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Ninth Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Ninth Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Series

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > All in the Family
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC Fall Pilot Review: Manhattan Love Story - Premieres Tuesday, Sept. 30; ABC Family Picks Up Young & Hungry for 2nd Season, and New Drama
ABC Fall Pilot Review: Selfie - Premieres Tuesday, Sept. 30; Starz Gives Us Sampling of LeBron James Produced Comedy
Week 1 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: Hub Network to Rebrand; Mork & Mindy to be Completed on DVD?
CBS Doubles Up on Big Bang on Mondays, Moves Mom; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of September 29, 2014)
Bounce TV Fall 2014 Info; Vintage SNL to Air in Primetime on Saturday Nights
VH1 Big Morning Buzz Live Returns with Comedic Co-Host; Hulu's New Series 11/22/63 Coming Soon

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)

New Girl - The Complete Season Three The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season

09/02 - Benson - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Halloween Episodes Collection
09/02 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season Nine
09/02 - The League - The Complete Season Five
09/02 - New Girl - The Complete Season Three
09/02 - Soap - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - What's Happening!! - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/09 - The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season
09/11 - Growing Up Fisher - Season One
09/16 - About a Boy - Season One
09/16 - Awkward - Season 3
09/16 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray/DVD)
09/16 - South Park - Season 17 (Blu-ray)
09/23 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One
09/23 - How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season / The Complete Series
09/23 - Mama's Family - The Complete Fifth Season / The Complete Collection
09/23 - Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season
09/23 - Mom - The Complete First Season
09/30 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 1 (MPI)
09/30 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Fourth Season
Other TV Series:
09/02 - Grey's Anatomy - The Complete Tenth Season
09/09 - Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
09/16 - CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - The Fourteenth Season
09/16 - Castle - The Complete Sixth Season
09/23 - Nashville - The Complete Second Season
09/23 - Scandal - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #31
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Damage
Ok, then what about the serial killer trying to kill Louise?

That episode, the KKK episode, and the episode when Florence wanted to kill herself I think are the only serious episodes of the show
Old 02-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #32
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
That episode, the KKK episode, and the episode when Florence wanted to kill herself I think are the only serious episodes of the show

I did forget about the KKK episode and have no idea about Florence wanting to commit suicide.

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Old 02-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #33
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Damage
I did forget about the KKK episode and have no idea about Florence wanting to commit suicide.

Yeah Florence wanting to kill herself was a season 3 episode. It was serious until George said...."If you want to kill yourself go right ahead"

LOL
Old 02-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #34
jehobden

Quote:
Yeah Florence wanting to kill herself was a season 3 episode. It was serious until George said...."If you want to kill yourself go right ahead"

LOL

I thought he said "If you mess up my bathroom I'll kill you!". Either way, I remember the audience laughed at the line, and it probably helped break the tension a bit.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #35
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehobden
I thought he said "If you mess up my bathroom I'll kill you!". Either way, I remember the audience laughed at the line, and it probably helped break the tension a bit.

He said that after she came out of the bathroom. His statement was half funny and then it ended in a serious way

"If you want to kill yourself you go right ahead, but you will be hurting someone who cares a lot about you."

He was talking about Louise. The audience laugh at the first part and then became emotional at the last part
Old 02-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #36
WalterTheDrinker
Frequent Poster

Maude wasn't urban.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #37
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterTheDrinker
Maude wasn't urban.

I think it was, she was closed enough to the city
Old 04-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #38
lucyandethel
Forum Regular

When they stopped taping in front of a live audience and it no longer became about social relevance. In later years, they would do cheap sight gags and goofy one-liners. That just wasn't what the show was about initially. You can't change the format of show like that at any point. Frankly, I never understood how "Archie Bunker's Place" ran as long as it did. Without an audience, it was soooooooooooo sssssssslllllllllooooooowwwwwwwww.......
Old 04-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #39
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyandethel
When they stopped taping in front of a live audience and it no longer became about social relevance. In later years, they would do cheap sight gags and goofy one-liners. That just wasn't what the show was about initially. You can't change the format of show like that at any point. Frankly, I never understood how "Archie Bunker's Place" ran as long as it did. Without an audience, it was soooooooooooo sssssssslllllllllooooooowwwwwwwww.......

I think the Move of Mike and Gloria next door helped contribute to the decline
Old 04-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #40
scrapple
Frequent Poster

I think we're being too generous with AITF. The first four seasons were great, no doubt. But something happened after that. I think the directing went south big time. Instead of the show moving at a rapid clip, we started getting lots of mugging from the actors, and unnecessary facial close-ups. Everything just seemed to slow to a crawl. The fifth season decline was a little noticeable, and drastic after the sixth. Archie Bunker's Place wasnt even the same show, totally unwatchable.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #41
704Hauser
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheMarkTexas
Back in the early 1990s there was a reunion special (it did get a VHS release but not sure if it has appeared on any of the DVD season sets as an extra).

Both Carroll O'Connor and Jean Stapleton were ready to call it quits when Rob Reiner and Sally Strothers left, however, before that season ended, CBS offered O'Connor and Stapleton a HUGE salary increase to do 2 more seasons.

It was only after Stapleton wanted to be on the show less and less (and explaining Edith's constant absenses had become tiresome for the writers) that Norman Lear stepped in and decided that since Stapleton wanted to leave for good, that would be a great stopping point for the show.

It was CBS who still wanted O'Connor to continue.

Owning all 9 seasons on DVD, I can confirm that the 20th Anniversary Special from 1991 has NOT been released on DVD.

It is available for viewing on YouTube though.
Psycho Dad, Psycho Dad, Psycho Dad.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #42
MikeL
Forum Legond

i love this show true classic was intresting right to the 9th season did not care for that season to much without mike n Gloria it just not the same
Old 05-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #43
OH Nuts!
Forum Celebrity
Riding on the Cannonball!

Quote:
I think it was, she was closed enough to the city

(interesting thread-sorry I missed it until now)

Yes it was urban - Tuckahoe is roughly 15 miles from monolithic NYC. It's a suburb you can get do on a Metro North commuter train. I suppose someone could try to make the case that the show was suburban, but given that many eps had a character who came in from NYC, or referred to NYC, I'd classify it as urban too.

xxoo You both Rock!!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #44
OH Nuts!
Forum Celebrity
Riding on the Cannonball!

So who/what caused AITF (and its clone ABP) to jump the shark? IMO, it was a combination of things. First, Jean Stapleton leaving. She and Carroll were each like 40% of the show. The "show(s)" was never the same to me once Edith was "killed" off. Also, the Jeffersons leaving. Archie was also too mellowed out for my taste. I think the writing fell off as well. Add these together and you get an eroding show.

Pity they didnn't just go off the air on a high note like The Mary Tyler Moore Show. But in its heyday, AITF was magnificent.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #45
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH Nuts!
So who/what caused AITF (and its clone ABP) to jump the shark? IMO, it was a combination of things. First, Jean Stapleton leaving. She and Carroll were each like 40% of the show. The "show(s)" was never the same to me once Edith was "killed" off. Also, the Jeffersons leaving. Archie was also too mellowed out for my taste. I think the writing fell off as well. Add these together and you get an eroding show.

Pity they didnn't just go off the air on a high note like The Mary Tyler Moore Show. But in its heyday, AITF was magnificent.

Edith being killed off was after AITF.