Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

Episodic Review: Community - "Basic Sandwich" Airing Tonight on NBC; FX Orders 3rd Season of The Americans, Solid Start for Fargo
Moesha Returns Daily to BET; NBC Schedules Maya Rudolph Variety-Comedy Special
TV Land Picks Up Hilary Duff, Sutton Foster Sitcom; Episodic Review: New Girl - "Big News" Airing Tonight on Fox
Maude Mother's Day Marathon on Logo; WE tv 2014 Upfront
Week 29 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: The Simpsons Comes to FXX in Style; New Fox MOD Releases; Welcome Back, Kotter on DVD?
Stephen Colbert to Take Over Late Show on CBS; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of April 14, 2014)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)

The Class - The Complete Series Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season Anger Management - Volume Three The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season Newhart - The Complete Third Season

04/01 - The Class - The Complete Series
04/01 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Mary Tyler Moore Episodes
04/01 - I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - Married with Children - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - NewsRadio - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/08 - Holliston - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
04/08 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
04/15 - Anger Management - Volume Three (Blu-ray)
04/15 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official First and Second Seasons
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season
04/22 - Newhart - The Complete Third Season
04/29 - Dynasty - The Eighth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Frosty81
Frequent Poster

Default TV Roles That Were Considered to Others

http://blogs.static.mentalfloss.com/...ves/35388.html

Please believe me, there is a cornucopia of TV roles out there that may have been considered to be played by other actors/actresses before being given to the actors/actresses we knew and loved.

So, without further ado:
Lana Clarkson as Cindy Brady (instead of Susan Olsen) (like I'd mentioned earlier here at: http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...d.php?t=293328) on The Brady Bunch
Lana Clarkson as Helen Chappel (instead of Crystal Bernard) on Wings
Natasha Gregson Wagner as Samantha Micelli (instead of Alyssa Milano) on Who's the Boss -- but maybe NGW lacked any obvious Italian-ness for the role?

~Ben
Old 04-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Reverend Jim
Forum Regular

Old 04-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
William Hogan Jr
Frequent Poster

I heard that Dick Sargent was going to do the role of Darrin on Bewitched, but he had other commitments. Of course he did finally get the role when Dick york left. I think Micky Rooney was going to do the part of Archie Bunker on All in the family, and Penny Marshall was going to play Gloria, but the roles went to Carroll O' Connor and Sally Struthers.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
factsoflife

Calista Flockhart and Sela Ward were both offered the role of Susan Meyer on "Desperate Housewives" and both turned it down.

Dana Delany was considered for the role of Bree on DH, but wasn't available for some reason. I believe she didn't want to commit to a series so similar to her failed show "Pasadena" which a few years prior had failed on Fox. So the role obviously went to Marcia Cross.

Pamela Anderson was considered for the role of Edie Britt, that went to Nicolette Sheridan.

The role of Tom's girlfriend Jane, now played by Andrea Parker was intended for Jessica Hetch, best known as Susan's girlfriend Carol on "Friends". Scheduling and salary prevented that from happening and Parker instead got the role.

Rosalyn Sanchez (Without A Trace) was an early favorite for the role of Gabby, but producers thought her accent was too thick. (this is according to the book Desperate Networks by Bill Carter).

other shows:

The role of Nora Walker on "Brothers & Sisters" was originally cast with Betty Buckley, a well known Broadway actress but was recast when Sally Field became available.

The role of Ally McBeal was initially conceived for Bridget Fonda who turned it down.

The role of Jenna Maroney on 30 Rock was intended for Rachel Dratch, a SNL performer, but producers decided she wasn't glamorous enough for the role and it went to Jane Karkowski instead.

The role of Jill Taylor on Home Improvement was meant for Frances Fisher, who had no chemistry with Tim Allen and the role went instead to Patricia Richardson.

For the role of Val Malone on Beverly Hills, 90210 producers had sought out Alyssa Milano; who turned it down because she wasn't sure the bad-girl role was one she wanted to play.

Ironically enough, Tiffani Thiessen who played Val was considered an early front-runner for the role of Paige on Charmed, which ultimately went to Rose McGowan.

The Good Wife

CBS Sunday's 9pm/EST.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
biffbronson

I Love Lucy: Bea Benadaret was the first choice to play Ethel Mertz; Vivian Vance was cast.

Petticoat Junction: Oldest daughter Billie Jo originally was to be played by Sharon Tate; Jeannine Riley got the part.

The Flying Nun: The role of Sister Bertrille was set to go to Ronne Troupe, but Sally Field got it.

The Brady Bunch: The role of Carol Brady was to be played by Joyce Bulifant, but Florence Henderson was cast.

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."
Old 04-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
andress_jade
I Dream of Jeannie 4-ever!

Location: Fredonia, KS wishing I was with Tony and Jeannie in Cocoa Beach!

The role of Roz Doyle on Frasier was originally cast with Lisa Kudrow but she lacked the spunk needed for the role so they cast Peri Gilpin. Lisa ended up getting cast as Phoebe on Friends instead.
In memory of: John Ritter, Hayden Rorke, Sidney Sheldon, Bob Denver, Don Knotts, Andy Griffith, Elizabeth Montgomery, Bea Arthur, Estelle Getty, Rue McClanahan, Farrah Fawcett, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, David Angell, Christopher Reeve, Shirley Temple Black, Larry Hagman and Lucille Ball.

Golden Girls fan 4-ever!

Dr. Quinn fan 4-ever!

I Niles and Daphne!

John and Marlena 4-ever!

I Dream of Jeannie fan!
Old 04-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
Zoneboy
Forum Veteran
Classic Country Fan

Jack Lord was offered the role of Captain James T. Kirk but turned it down.

George Lindsey was the first choice to play Mr. Spock and the role was also turned down by Martin Landau.

Darren McGavin turned down the leads in I Dream of Jeannie, Run for Your Life and Hogan's Heroes.

The role of Marshall Matt Dillon was first offered to Denver Pyle who declined.

The main characters from Sanford and Son were originally supposed to be white with Barnard Hughes and Paul Sorvino in the roles but were changed to black.

(R.G. Armstrong as the Contractor in The Twilight Zone episode "Nothing in the Dark")
Old 04-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
factsoflife

FRIENDS:

The role of Monica was at one point offered to Nancy McKeon, Leah Remini and Nicolette Sheridan.

Neil Patrick Harris auditioned for the role of Chandler but did not get it.

Jane Krakowski was considered for the role of Phoebe before Lisa Kudrow got the role.

The Golden Girls:

Doris Roberts, Olympia Dukakis and Elaine Stritch were considered for the role of Dorothy prior to Bea Arthur taking it.

Betty White and Rue McClanahan auditioned for each others roles initially.

Beverly Hills, 90210:

Gabrielle Cateries auditioned for the role of Brenda, but got the role of Andrea instead.

I read somewhere a long time ago that Jason Bateman tested for the role of Brandon before Jason Priestly was offered the role.

Jennie Garth auditioned for the role of Donna, but got Kelly instead.

Family Ties:

Matthew Broderick was considered for the role of Alex P. Keaton before Michael J. Fox landed it. Some NBC executive did not like Michael J. Fox.

Will & Grace:

Thomas Gibson auditioned for the role of Will. Julia Louis-Dreyfuss auditioned for Grace.

Ironically, Eric McCormack also auditioned for the role of Greg on Dharma & Greg prior to the role going to Thomas.

Grey's Anatomy:

The role of Derek Shepherd was written with Rob Lowe in mind, but he turned it down in favor of some show that lasted like half a season, Dr. Vegas, I think it was called.

Melrose Place:

Amy Brennemen, Sherry Stringfield, Terri Hatcher and Courtney Cox all auditioned for the role of Allison.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #9
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by factsoflife
Family Ties:
Matthew Broderick was considered for the role of Alex P. Keaton before Michael J. Fox landed it. Some NBC executive did not like Michael J. Fox.
Actually Gary David Goldberg didn't like Fox either. He was reluctant to cast him.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:28 AM   #10
megamanj2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoneboy
Jack Lord was offered the role of Captain James T. Kirk but turned it down.

George Lindsey was the first choice to play Mr. Spock and the role was also turned down by Martin Landau.

Actually Jack Lord tried to supposedly get greedy by demanding a chunk of profits for partial ownership of the show but Gene Roddenberry was having none of it, so when Lord shunned him for it, Roddenberry showed him the door.

Others:

Cheers - The roles of Sam and Diane were offered to Fred Dryer and Cathy Lee Crosby but the producers ended up changing Sam from a ex-footballer to a ex-baseballer.

Perfect Strangers - Louie Anderson was once offered the role of Larry Appleton but the producers didn't like him.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:53 AM   #11
Zoneboy
Forum Veteran
Classic Country Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamanj2004
Actually Jack Lord tried to supposedly get greedy by demanding a chunk of profits for partial ownership of the show but Gene Roddenberry was having none of it, so when Lord shunned him for it, Roddenberry showed him the door.

Thanks, I read about Jack Lord being offered the role in TV Guide several years ago but can recall no mention of him wanting a chunk of the profits and I try to make sure that my sources are correct and information is complete before posting. All it said at the time was that he simply turned down the role but it wouldn't surprise me none though if you were right.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:58 PM   #12
megamanj2004

Another one:

Cosby - Thelma Hopkins was offered the part for Bill Cosby's wife on that series but when she demonstrated the lack of chemistry Cosby wanted, Cosby ended up calling up his former Cosby Show TV wife Phylicia Rashad instead.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:59 AM   #13
Lee
veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoneboy
Jack Lord was offered the role of Captain James T. Kirk but turned it down

Lloyd Bridges was offered the role of Captain Christopher Pike
in the original 1964 Star Trek pilot The Cage but likewise turned
it down and the part went to Jeffery Hunter instead.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:01 AM   #14
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

The role of Debra Barone on Everybody Loves Raymond came down to a choice between Patricia Heaton and Jane Sibbett. Jane Sibbett is best known for her recurring role as Ross' ex Carol on Friends.

I also read somewhere that Julia Duffy was considered for the role of Diane Chambers on Cheers, which of course went to Shelley Long. Ms. Duffy joined the cast of Newhart the following year and the rest is history!!!

Melina Kanakaredes was approached to play the role of Abbie Carmichael on Law & Order beginning in the 1998-99 TV season, but turned it down to play the lead in the then-brand new NBC drama Providence, which debuted in January 1999. The role of Abbie Carmichael instead went to Angie Harmon, who would stay on L&O for three seasons.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 06-08-2012, 02:39 AM   #15
Zoneboy
Forum Veteran
Classic Country Fan

Bert Convy was seriously considered for the role of Barnabas Collins

Link

At the eleventh hour, it was down to Jonathan Frid, a classically trained actor who worked primarily in Shakespearean theater, and Bert Convy, a game show host for the role of Barnabas Collins. Thankfully, the producers of DARK SHADOWS chose Mr. Frid.

I like Bert Convy and he was a very good actor but I can't see anyone other than Jonathan Frid in that role.