Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Andy Griffith Show (Sitcoms Online) / The Andy Griffith Show links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Andy Griffith Show Photo Gallery

The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete First Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete First Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Second Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Third Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Fourth Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Fifth Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Sixth Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Seventh Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Eighth Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Series

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Series on DVD
The Andy Griffith Show 50th Anniversary - The Best of Mayberry

Buy The Andy Griffith Show 50th Anniversary - The Best of Mayberry on DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - Season 1 (Blu-ray)

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - Season 1 on Blu-ray

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > The Andy Griffith Show
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Hot in Cleveland to End; Netflix Picks up Tina Fey Comedy; Wonder Years Season 2 DVDs
Fox Mid-Season 2015 Schedule; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of November 24, 2014)
INSP Gets Walker, Texas Ranger; ABC, Fox Mid-Season New Show Premieres
TBS Orders 22 More Episodes for American Dad!; Hulu Orders Amy Poehler Comedy
Pop Launches Jan. 14, 2015 with 90210, Melrose Place; Mike & Molly Returns Monday, Dec. 8 on CBS
Honeymooners on Thanksgiving on WPIX in NY; Bounce TV Sitcom Family Time Striving in 2nd Season
Week 8 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series Family Ties - The Complete Series Happy Days - The Sixth Season The Jeffersons - The Complete Series Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series

10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonder Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series / Review
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-27-2006, 12:26 AM   #16
TV_on_the_Porch
Forum Regular
anything good on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav4463
I just wish TV could go back to the time of Andy Griffith when there were absolutely no gay characters.
Do the names Paul Lynde and Charles Nelson Reilly ring a bell? You think they were playing straight??
Quote:
If there were, they kept quiet about it, or made jokes about it like Three's Company.
Rather those characters were the butt of others' jokes. Aha, so the subject of homosexuality is OK as long as those characters are objects of ridicule, gotcha.
Quote:
It seems that now TV has a love affair with the gays.
It only seems that way to you because of your high level of discomfort with gay people. Any depiction of them as real people is too much, isn't it? Back into the closet with 'em, right? Well, it's a new world in a new milleium of gay visibility and TV is only reflecting real life in that regard.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:50 PM   #17
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

TV

I do not think Howard is Gay
Old 04-11-2007, 07:06 PM   #18
ackgh73994
First Time Poster

no because in Return to Mayberry he told Andy he liked the librarian over in Mount Pilot
Old 04-17-2007, 07:56 PM   #19
showfan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDRyan
It only seems that way to you because of your high level of discomfort with gay people. Any depiction of them as real people is too much, isn't it? Back into the closet with 'em, right? Well, it's a new world in a new milleium of gay visibility and TV is only reflecting real life in that regard.

You are probably correct, but people can be uncomfortable with something without being an awful thing. You know how some people are disgusted by, let's say, feet. That doesn't mean they dislike a person, they just don't want to have any interaction with what they consider to be disgusting feet. And my grandparents are man and woman, but they think it is disgusting when a boy and girl or man and woman make out in public or on tv.

With that said, I am heterosexual. I watched and like the show "Brothers and Sisters" for a while. I continued watching when I discovered one of the characters was gay. But I couldn't help but get that yucky feeling when he started kissing another man like I kiss my wife. I just couldn't stomach it. And I don't mean this to be funny, but it was an uncontrollable yuck feeling.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:55 PM   #20
chopperguy
Frequent Poster

I always thought of Howard as some type of Mama's boy who never really had much going on except his job. He didn't even know much about fishing or anything fun.

With so-called sitcoms and reality shows today, it has everyone looking at the sexual orientation of just about everybody. Sad.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:43 PM   #21
Mikado
Forum Celebrity
Main st bridge

I think he was quiet and shy, but, not gay
Old 06-18-2007, 04:59 PM   #22
Pus$y Galore
Forum Veteran
In God's Arms Now

Janice is correct - not only did he date Milly (can't remember the last name) but he was going to marry her. There was an ep where he asked Andy to be his best man and he and Helen had to travel by train with them to Milly's hometown where they were to be married.

Well they ended up having so many differences that they ended up calling off the wedding. Frankly, imho, I think Howard was probably a gay in denial but there's no way the writers would be going that "deep" into his character. I always thought of Howard as if not gay, then a mama's boy (I'd rather the gay angle since I can't stand "mama's boy"). Actually I just found the whole character too annoying. If an ep with Howard is on, I skip it.

James Marshall Hendrix
Voodoo Chile

The Forum Legend formerly known as TripperFan

"religion is for people who are afraid of hell--spirituality is for people who have been through hell"---anonymous
Old 08-31-2007, 05:43 AM   #23
cinderfella
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
I think Howard was the naive type. Didn't he date and like woman on the show? I seem to remember that.

Howard dated and proposed to Boysinger Bakery worker Millie Hutchins in the last season. She appeared in two last season episodes - "Howard's Main Event" and "Howard and Millie". The two called their wedding off at the last minute. Millie liked spontaneity; Howard didn't. Millie, for example, wanted to take off and honeymoon in Las Vegas ("live it up") while Howard had made honeymoon plans to attend "The King Arthur Pageant" and visit a tourist-type attraction a few miles from home. Millie wanted an expensive dinner with lots of variety in the dishes while Howard watched his wallet and ordered fishcakes.

Howard was homosocial rather than homosexual - he socialized with other men rather than women. I don't think he had an overwhelming interest in women but I don't think he had any homosexual interests in men either. Howard strikes me as non-sexual. I doubt if Howard had much of a sexual life. He just doesn't seem the type.

Here's Howard and Millie sharing one of the few 'passionate' kisses in the entire series. This is just after he proposes to her.

Last edited by cinderfella : 08-31-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:01 PM   #24
bingbangbaby
I see you!!

He definitely wasn't gay in that show but if the show were on today, he'd be translated into a gay character. And that's what prompted Joe to ask the question, I think.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:15 PM   #25
cinderfella
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbangbaby
He definitely wasn't gay in that show but if the show were on today, he'd be translated into a gay character. And that's what prompted Joe to ask the question, I think.

If the show were re-produced today I'm not sure Howard would be gay. Gays don't live in small towns like Mayberry. Altho gays may be born in small towns like Mayberry, they go to college and move to big cities where educational, job, and cultural opportunities exist. I could see maybe a rich retired gay or lesbian couple buying a small hobby farm somewhere near Mayberry but for a bachelor county clerk to be gay? Naw. I can't see it. A single gay man Howard's age wouldn't be living in a place like Mayberry.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:47 PM   #26
DirtyHarry
Frequent Poster

Default Was Howard gay"

The simple answer is no! A bit wussy but he did back down Cylde when they both wanted Millie.

I have a paperback book (my edition released in 1989 I think) by Robert Kelley about The Andy Griffth show. In it he has interviews with most of the cast. Andy talks about the creation of "Howard" and about how the character evolved over time. After the original Howard was getting to be too pathetic (mama's boy) they let the character become more independent (thankfully!). This is when he finally gets his own place and his worrisome mother gets married.

One of my favorite characters is Floyd. His goofy mannerisms are jsut great!

("He assaulted me. And he hit me real hard".)