View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 06:51 PM   #2
Goldeneye
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch
I have put together a list of when the episode of "Laverne & Shirley" were filmed. If anyone had any corrections or anything to add, feel free to contribute. Some of the dates were pretty hard to find, but with the help of scripts and even file photos, I have compiled a good list.

Season 2 [1976-1977]
27. (unknown) Anniversary Show (Original Air Date 1/10/1977)
28. (11/10/1976) Playing Hooky (Original Air Date 1/11/1977)
I took a quick look at the "Anniversary Show" episode from the DVD, and did notice that when this originally aired, it contained a brief blurb of a scene at that time previously unaired (that being Lenny and Squiggy in fire department gear, which aired about a month after this episode (Steppin' Out), but filmed on 9/22/1976).

Also, if the sources were reliable in the book "Happier Days" by Marley Brant, it is noted between pages 81 to 84 that less than 2 months into the Fall Season 1976, which represents Season 2, Cindy Williams walked out, which represents at some point in November 1976, and production was halted for 3 weeks as a result, which explains for the gap between November 10 and December 10.

Furthermore, that episode contains scenes from "Excuse Me, May I Cut In?," which was filmed on 9/29/1976 and also "Look Before You Leap," filmed on 10/6/1976. Looking through that scene further, I saw a scene from "Guilty Until Proven Not Innocent," filmed on 11/3/1976. As an aside, the original television set which the set had burned itself out during the episode "Excuse Me, May I Cut In?," was filmed on 9/29/1976 and the television set replaced later that episode, hence giving a "check" to see if episodes filmed before or after were correct as noted, noting whether the television in the Laverne & Shirley set is the original or the new one.

Prior to the walkout, it is noted that the episodes were produced on Wednesdays, and the missing Wednesdays in question after 11/3/1976 were 11/17/1976, 11/24/1976, 12/1/1976 and 12/8/1976. Also "Playing Hooky" was claimed to be filmed on 11/10/1976, however, the bicycle on street scene from that episode is part of the intro (final scenes), which itself was likely filmed probably in July 1976 (at the same time as "Drive She Said") and then inserted into the "Playing Hooky" episode. (Just like the walking out of Shotz Brewery scenes injected into a number of Milwaukee-era episodes which were filmed originally on or around Jan 1976).

But we can remove 12/8/1976 from consideration as they switched from Wednesdays to Fridays after production resumed and there was an episode filmed on 12/10/1976.

Accounting for the 3 weeks that production was halted due to Cindy Williams' walkout after November 10, the most (and now only) possible date that Cindy's walkout ended was the week containing 12/1/1976.

The first episode filmed after the Christmas/New Years' holiday break was "Call Me A Taxi," but that was 1/13/1977, automatically eliminating this and any episode filmed from then on, since this episode in question was aired 1/10/1977.

1/6/1977 may be a possible, but given that it is just a few days after New Year's, that is very unlikely, noting the filming schedule for the other seasons, hence eliminating this option. I have also deemed 12/24/1976 and 12/31/1976 to be virtually off the table as they represent Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve, and almost certainly the studio was on Christmas/New Years' holiday break at that point, especially them falling on Friday that year.

As such, after Cindy's return from her walkout, the studio likely changed filming of episodes to Fridays from Wednesdays at that time. The first known Friday episode was on 12/10/1976 - it is almost certain that the anniversary show was filmed on 12/3/1976, which is on a Friday, just to ease things up after the walkout. 12/1/1976 is possible, but probably very unlikely, given the change in filming schedule after the Cindy Williams walkout.

Then again, nothing is set in stone on those episodes until there is actually a copy of the script out there confirming these dates (or production numbers).

Last edited by Goldeneye; 07-15-2018 at 04:09 PM. Reason: New information found narrowing and changing possible dates...
Goldeneye is offline   Reply With Quote