View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 09:52 PM   #10
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmrwilson
At the end of Golden Girls (and it was obvious that Bea wasn't coming back), it was a final fairwell.

However, Dorothy had money, her new husband was loaded...in real life people in that situation, wouldn't they have visited once or twice a year
and wouldn't they have kept in constant phone (now they could Skype )
almost every day?

While it made for a sad farewell, I don't think it rang true.

(same with when Mike and Gloria left for California and Archie and Edith felt they would never in their lifetime see them or their granddaughter again.

As far as Mike and Gloria go, I get it. Archie and Edith were not rich people, and the likelihood of them heading out to CA on any kind of regular basis was pretty small (they did end up going out once). Sure Mike and Gloria could have made it back easier, but Mike's starting salary probably wasn't huge and might make it possible for one or maybe two trips a year to NY. That isn't a 'forever' goodbye, but it sure is a huge change and I think the Bunkers were totally justified in acting like things would never be the same again, because they couldn't be.