View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #20
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ
Reposted from old board:

Posted by luvinjuan1980:

Isn't it weird how Wayne Rogers was Trapper John on Mash, Then when Trapper John, MD. came out, they got Pernell Roberts to play Trapper and Wayne Rogers went on to play Charlie Michaels on House Calls.

Posted by TV Guy:

Definitely strange. When you think about it Charley Michaels is a lot closer to Trapper John from "M*A*S*H" than "Trapper John, M.D." is. Trap always had a good sense of humor, and Pernell Roberts portrays him as completely humorless.
I agree. Even though Trapper John, M.D. is technically a spinoff of M*A*S*H, I've never considered it one. I'm lucky if I've seen more than two episodes in its entirety.

It premiered on September 23, 1979. Nearly three months later, House Calls premiered on December 17, 1979. I do remember watching this show during its network run. In fact, the irony is that I saw Wayne Rogers playing Charley Michaels before I saw him on M*A*S*H, as I didn't start watching M*A*S*H until 1981 in reruns.

Another irony is that the humorless Trapper John, M.D. outlived House Calls by four seasons. The change from Lynn Redgrave to Sharon Gless did change the show a bit.

However, if House Calls hadn't been cancelled, Sharon Gless wouldn't have been able to replace Meg Foster as Christine Cagney on Cagney & Lacey in the fall of 1982.

Gless was hesitant to replace another actress after what happened on House Calls, but it proved to be a good move because she is remembered most for playing Chris Cagney.

And there's another connection to M*A*S*H -- Loretta Swit was the first actress to play Christine Cagney in the original Cagney & Lacey TV movie.

What were we talking about again?