View Single Post
Old 04-29-2017, 11:37 AM   #51
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvCarolBurnett
While I agree Scott Baio may have misspoke, he was attacked unmercifully for publicly stating what we all initially assumed.

I didn't criticize him for assuming drugs; I criticized him because of his tone. Your immediate response to a death isn't usually (and shouldn't be) an occasion to point fingers and make an anti-drug speech; it should simply be about love and loss and compassion. He chose to get his little social commentary in there, and of course, forget that drug abuse (even though Erin didn't die from it) is a disease not a moral failing.

"For me, you do drugs or drink, youíre gonna die, and Iím sorry if thatís cold, but God gave you a brain, gave you the will to live and thrive and you gotta take care of yourself. I'm sorry. You just have to"

And then his clumsy attempts to clarify made it worse.

"Please stop assuming the worse (sic) in me," he continued. "I'm a compassionate person. I'm very heartbroken over her passing, especially since it was cancer."

So, what, if she had died of drugs he wouldn't have felt quite so bad? I"ve had a close family member die of dependency, and I can assure you that NOBODY at the funeral was thinking, "well, we would have been MORE heartbroken if it had been something else!"

THAT is why I criticized him; the implications nested inside his comments, his lack of compassion and understanding for the deceased, and his attempt to get on a soapbox at a terribly inappropriate time. Are drugs bad for you? OF COURSE they are. Personally, I've never done them; I have never even drank a can of beer. But does dying of them make you somehow less deserving of sympathy? No, it doesn't.