View Single Post
Old 03-19-2016, 03:52 PM   #5
shotzette
De Facto Queen of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumdrops

It's like, I want to like them, but the show, the way they're written I guess, just makes it really difficult. They seem to just be together for the sake of it. Like, they're stuck in a holding pattern and it's just easier to be together than to end it completely, ya know? Not that I don't think they care about (and even love each other), but it just never looks like something enduring.

Shirley wants that doctor, any doctor and she would drop Carmine in a hot second the moment one looked twice at her. Maybe I'm being unfair to her, but she seems to treat Carmine as a placeholder.
Not that I think Carmine is a saint or anything. He runs around with the likes of Lucille and whoever else. Perpetual bachelorhood wouldn't surprise me with him.
:

I get it, and I feel the same way. Per cannon, they started dating in high school and just sort of grew up together. They weren't either one's ideals, although I do think they had genuine affection for one another. They were like the couple everyone knew in college who kept breaking up and drifting back together because they were in the same crowd and it was convenient. I accept that they were each other's first loves, but not lasting loves.

The relationship sort of made sense, in nothing more than a convenience sort of way, until the move to CA. When Carmine moved to Burbank, things should have escalated, or he should have stayed in WI. I heard a rumor--can't quote the source for the life of me--that Eddie Mekka was sort of on the fence about re-upping when his contract ended after S5 and they brought in Ed Marinaro as Sonny, or as I called him "Carmine-lite" to play the Carmine-ish role in CA.

"Awesome" ends in "Me".

Coincidence?

I think not.