View Single Post
Old 02-20-2016, 10:23 PM   #7
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRickyII
You got that right. The word "classic" means "judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind." It doesn't simply mean old. It's time tested. But part of the issue here is that, with the exception of The Odd Couple, these Garry Marshall sitcoms were targeted towards children and teenagers. I loved Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, and Mork & Mindy when they were originally on but my parents wouldn't watch them. My mother couldn't stand them. But of course I was a kid at the time. Now I see these shows as an adult and I'm like OMG! Now I've got the perspective my parents had. I will say, though, I do like the first two seasons of Happy Days, even now. It was charming and really tried to honestly reflect the era of the '50s. But starting the third season, Fred Silverman came in and tinkered with the show -- turned Fonzie into super-Fonz (made him a cartoon) and brought in that studio audience full of screaming teenagers. (Gag!) And kicked aside all the 1950s authenticity. Basically, he ruined the show for adults and turned it, and the other Marshall sitcoms, into live action cartoons.

Mork and Mindy was definitely a cartoon