View Single Post
Old 04-29-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
PracTz
Forum Regular

Default "Shirley I Jest" B Minus

I read it and I liked the attention to detail re her own growing up and then as she interacted with different performers after she became a performer [really liked what she had to say about "The Conversation" and Harrison Ford's antics]-. Morever; I was intrigued about how she and Penny Marshall staged a coup to decorate the soundstage to what would have been more realistic for struggling working class 20-something women back then(and,of course, I liked how she talked about how they made sure THEY thought the lines made them laugh before they committed to them). Then, too,it was fun reading how Miss Williams became more confident to participate in physical stunts as time went on so it wasn't just Miss Marshall carrying that load.
However; I was somewhat disappointed that the main narrative came to screeching halt right about the time Miss Williams and the show parted company shortly after she found herself in the family way. I'm not saying she needed to dish but such details as to how she and [her now ex] Mr. Hudson met, why she decided to marry him [in spite of a very public record re how his marriage to Goldie Hawn ended] , how her parents reacted, how her two now-grown children have fared (and whether they've had any interaction with their more famous half-sibs by Miss Hawn) all goes unmentioned. I mean, apart from mentioning she was pregnant with her daughter and crediting her then 3-year-old son for saying it would be a good idea to remake "Father of the Bride" [and that setting Miss Williams into motion to do just that], there's nothing mentioned about her children. The reader learns more about the origins and fate of Boo Boo Kitty than of Miss Williams's family of origin and offspring. Even a passage of 'I love them but they're not public figures so I must respect their privacy by not detailing their lives' would have sufficed. Yes, maybe her life since L&S may not have been as interesting to the reader but if one is writing an autobiography one shouldn't have totally ignored it.