View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 02:56 AM   #23
Prince Michael
Forum Regular

Cool

It's funny you should all bring this up . I was in sixth grade during the 1973 -- 1974 school year . One day, it was announced that there was going to be a "Fifties Day" and everybody in my grade was supposed to dress like somebody in the 1950s . This wasn't a homework activity, but something we did "for fun" .

My parents thought for a while, and they concluded that people in the 1950s didn't dress much differently from people in the 1970s . They weren't the most fashion conscious people in the world . I was only twelve years old at that point, and I didn't know any better than they did . It had been only twelve years since 1961, and fashions don't change much in twelve years ( I realize there are exceptions ) .

The next day at my school, "Fifties Day" was a bust . I guess nobody knew any better than my parents did . I AM aware that the costume designers of Happy Days really phoned it in during the last few seasons . I thought actors in the 1970s and 1980s who appeared in a TV show about the 1950s and 1960s had hairstyles from the 1970s and 1980s . That still doesn't excuse the modern -- day clothing .