PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing characters, disappearing John Goodman, and David and Mark...

Apesy
12-10-2003, 03:36 PM
1) Roseanne handled ongoing plots so beautifully, it really bugs me that sometimes they just let characters disappear without any seeming explanation. What happened to Roseanne's friend Bonnie from seasons 3 and 4? And what of Anne-Marie, who disappeared after season 5? What of Ty, Molly, and Charlotte Tilden from season 5? And most glaringly, where did Crystal go? She was seen once in season 6, but for someone who lives next door to the Conners and was seen in the opening credits for several seasons, it's so bizarre that she vanished.

Granted, I'm asking this having not yet seen the latter half of season 7, up until the final episode. Do any of them come back, or have their absence explained?

2) Why was John Goodman absent for much of the 9th season?

3) Do David or Mark ever become part of the main cast, or do they remain guest stars for the remainder of the series?

justmetoo
12-11-2003, 09:05 AM
My biggest wonder was...why didn't Mark and David become full cast memebers instead of guests?!!

dina18
12-13-2003, 01:12 AM
The Tildens leaving always bothered me. It was never fully explained. I def. agree that it was strange that Mark and David were considered guets stars. Would love an explanation for that!

LecyGoransonfan
12-13-2003, 01:18 PM
Mark and David definitely should've been in the opening credits. They didn't even have to be at the table with the family just list their names at least. The Tildens just rented the house next store that's probably why they were gone by season 6. The most disappearance that bothers me the most is Crystal! BTW Apesy she was seen breifly in a season 8 episode too. She was Roseanne's best friend besides Jackie and they drop her character after 4 seasons. I think it was mostly because they wanted more time with Nancy. Then there was Bonnie and Anne-Marie who left with no explanation as well.

bubblegum
12-13-2003, 02:22 PM
Was Anne-Marie in the baby shower in the eighth season?

LecyGoransonfan
12-13-2003, 03:08 PM
Now that you mentioned it, yes. But for like 5 secs, Darlene gives her a stuff mushroom and she eats it and says "Darlene this stuff mushrooms are delicious" then Darlene says "Thanks! I chewed up them up myself".

Brent88
12-13-2003, 03:23 PM
Dan in the 9th season was gone to California(on the show) to care for his sick mother. When he came back for Christmas, he was forced to reveal his affair(just after Christmas) and then Roseanne kicked him out of the house and he wasn't seen until they started to get back together when Darlene went into labor with the premature baby.

bubblegum
12-13-2003, 03:38 PM
When Roseanne went around the table in the last episode did she mention Crystal?

Apesy
12-13-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Brent88
Dan in the 9th season was gone to California(on the show) to care for his sick mother. When he came back for Christmas, he was forced to reveal his affair(just after Christmas) and then Roseanne kicked him out of the house and he wasn't seen until they started to get back together when Darlene went into labor with the premature baby.

I've heard that. I was just wondering why John Goodman himself was absent for a good chunk of that season. Did he ask to take some time off?

Brent88
12-13-2003, 10:33 PM
They didn't renew his contract(differences over it) so, that is why he only appeared in a few episodes that season.

ThomasE
12-16-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Brent88
They didn't renew his contract(differences over it) so, that is why he only appeared in a few episodes that season.

John wanted to leave. He had agreed to appear in a handful of episodes. Roseanne's character became too dominant. For that reason I would not have blamed him for leaving. Ann Marie was also on the 1996 episode in which she makes a toast in honor of Dan and Roseanne's new wealth. She was also on the 1995 baby shower episode along with the Thanksgiving episode. Most of you know that She is a black character on the show. This was one of her lines on the Thanksgiving episode after two white people are debating about America.

Woman #1: People came here of the freedom.
Ann-Marie(turning around): Excuse Me?

That was the funniest line from that episode.

fan912
12-24-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by ThomasE
John wanted to leave. He had agreed to appear in a handful of episodes. Roseanne's character became too dominant. For that reason I would not have blamed him for leaving. Ann Marie was also on the 1996 episode in which she makes a toast in honor of Dan and Roseanne's new wealth. She was also on the 1995 baby shower episode along with the Thanksgiving episode. Most of you know that She is a black character on the show. This was one of her lines on the Thanksgiving episode after two white people are debating about America.

Woman #1: People came here of the freedom.
Ann-Marie(turning around): Excuse Me?

That was the funniest line from that episode.

Well, no 'that wan't the reason.... John HAD to leave because everyone thought the 8th Season was the last, so he commited to other stuff, but GLADLY came back(IN A E! ONLINE INTERVIEW)

Now to the Crystal thing-She married Dan's Father and had TWO babies, and had to take care of Lonnie-So I think she didnt have time....

Now to Anne-Marie- Anne Marie was never a REGULAR, she aprears in the 9th Season to toast Dan and them- SHe was NEVER a regular so, she was never 'GONE'

But to Bonnie- They never said about her leaving....I guess She went with her husband to tour since Rodbell's Closed...

Salem
01-19-2004, 05:55 PM
I heard that John Goodan left because Roseanne (person, not character) became too flaky and annoying.

Mr.Blue
01-30-2004, 09:59 PM
I really wanted Crystal to stay.

Mr.Blue
02-05-2004, 02:02 PM
where did Crystal go? She was seen once in season 6, but for someone who lives next door to the Conners

She lived next door to the Conners? What episodes refer to this?

Dennis3264
02-05-2004, 02:13 PM
She didn't live next to the Connors.

Bonnie was never really Roseanne's really best friend when you think about it. They just worked together and they got kind of close. I guess when Rodbells closed, they just drifted apart.

Southern Hellraiser
02-14-2005, 09:40 PM
She didn't live next door.

sghols
02-19-2005, 01:46 PM
I've heard that. I was just wondering why John Goodman himself was absent for a good chunk of that season. Did he ask to take some time off?

From what I understand John Goodman and Roseanne were actually disputing towards the end. John supposedly was upset with Roseanne because she was to bossy and controlling. John had initially tried to quit the show but couldn't because of his contract. However, he was allowed so much time off from the show and chose to take that time in one lump. When he returned, it was Roseanne who decided she no longer wanted him on the show and he then left again for a while. If in fact these allegations are true, then it is no surprise to me that in episode 9 when she was explaining the ACTUAL events that took place, one was that Dan had actually died of that heart attack.

Southern Hellraiser
07-22-2005, 09:25 AM
From what I understand John Goodman and Roseanne were actually disputing towards the end. John supposedly was upset with Roseanne because she was to bossy and controlling. John had initially tried to quit the show but couldn't because of his contract. However, he was allowed so much time off from the show and chose to take that time in one lump. When he returned, it was Roseanne who decided she no longer wanted him on the show and he then left again for a while. If in fact these allegations are true, then it is no surprise to me that in episode 9 when she was explaining the ACTUAL events that took place, one was that Dan had actually died of that heart attack.
That interesting. I never heard that rumor.

troopoleon8897
07-22-2005, 11:29 PM
The 8th Season was supposed to be the last, during the 8th season John commited to a movie (The Big Lebowski) which started taping early that summer when the 9th season was starting John was able to appear for the first couple of episodes, when the shooting finished he went back to Roseanne. That is also why he grew a beard out in the 8th season he needed it for the movie although it is shorter such as the one in 9th season.....

Heather987
07-23-2005, 02:46 AM
I always thought Bonnie joined her husbands band, but I dont think it was really mentioned. They did show her singing in the bowling alley with her husband in one episode and I really dont remember seeing her after that.

Ann Marie's husband I think was closer to Dan then Ann Marie to Roseanne so I never missed her to realize she disappeared.

Nancy should have disappeared

Crystal I think that when she married Dans father it was more uncomfortable for her to be around Dan or something since her new hubby and Dan didnt really get along. Maybe she couldnt handle to stupid way Jackie acted after having Andy and didnt want her kids/babies to be exposed to such foolish behavior, arguing between Dan and there father, and Roseannes dominance.

I always wondered what happened to Fred. I know he and Jackie divorced but we never really saw him interacting with his kid and he was so gung ho in the beginning of the pregnancy to be in his childs life. Also he disappeared from the listing of Roseanne on most web sites. I cannot find out who played him on IMDB, or most of the Roseanne sites. He is not listed as a guest or guest star. Did he have a falling out with Roseanne that caused her to block him from all references to her show? They hardly show episodes with him in syndication or was he in that few of the shows?

As for John Goodman, I have heard a bunch of rumors and tend to lean towards the argument that they thought season 8 was going to be the last so he committed to other projects and agreed to make appearances that were not conflicting to his other commitments. This was the same for other characters, Darlene went to Chicago to go to school when Sara G. left for college, Leci same thing she left for college so Becky got married and ran off.

PATRICKtheCELIAC
07-23-2005, 04:30 AM
I always wondered what happened to Fred. I know he and Jackie divorced but we never really saw him interacting with his kid and he was so gung ho in the beginning of the pregnancy to be in his childs life. Also he disappeared from the listing of Roseanne on most web sites. I cannot find out who played him on IMDB, or most of the Roseanne sites. He is not listed as a guest or guest star. Did he have a falling out with Roseanne that caused her to block him from all references to her show? They hardly show episodes with him in syndication or was he in that few of the shows?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001574/

The actor who played Fred: Michael O'Keefe.

Heather987
07-23-2005, 04:44 AM
Thank you for the information PATRICKtheCELIAC, I have not searched this in a while and at one time he was not listed. They must have updated this. My mistake if it has always been there and it was overlooked, I apologize if this caused any misinformation on my part.
Still curious why they got rid of him on the show though? He seemed like Dan and him were friends and I thought he was going to be a main character like David and Mark.

PATRICKtheCELIAC
07-23-2005, 04:50 AM
You're very welcome! Please, don't apologize.

I am puzzled as to why O'Keefe was yanked as well. He, like you said, was hellbent on being part of his kid's life -- then simply vanishes. I didn't like how Jackie treated Fred. He was a simple guy who wanted to have sex in his own bed. Fred was never my favourite, but I could tolerate him.

retarrdgrrl
07-28-2005, 06:58 PM
the actor who played Mark died in 02.. he was my favorite. Drug OD I think.

TJAMES03
08-04-2005, 06:43 PM
I never liked Crystal and I am glad that she was written out. While this is just a rumor, rumor has it that (in real life) Roseanne and Natalie West weren't exactly the best of friends. I believe that the last mention ever of Crystal was in the episode in which Roseanne realized that Dan wasn't not following his diet program after his heart attack. Roseanne mentioned to Jackie that Crystal called and (I can't remember the exact wording) said that she had seen Dan eating a burrito. After that, Crystal was never mentioned/seen again.

summer05
08-05-2005, 04:02 PM
the actor who played Mark died in 02.. he was my favorite. Drug OD I think.

yeah he died of a drug overdose..thats sad he was my favorite too!

TJAMES03
08-25-2005, 11:31 PM
I just remembered....

In the episode "Straight to Video," Roseanne mentions that (this isn't her exact phrasing) she doesn't see Crystal very much anymore since she married Dan's dad.

Southern Hellraiser
08-26-2005, 07:13 AM
I just remembered....

In the episode "Straight to Video," Roseanne mentions that (this isn't her exact phrasing) she doesn't see Crystal very much anymore since she married Dan's dad.
I dont remember that.

Dean Winchester
08-26-2005, 04:56 PM
I just remembered....

that doesn't make too much sense because Crystal and Dan's dad that married in season 3, and Crystal appeared a lot in season 4. She seemed to go away after the Halloween episode in season 5.

I think she left about the right time though, the series changed drastically in season 5 (for the better IMO) and while Crystal fit perfectly onto "the old Roseanne", on "the new Roseanne", I don't think it would've worked as well.

TJAMES03
08-27-2005, 05:47 AM
It doesn't make sense, but that is what she said. If any of you have "Straight to Video" on tape, check it out. She mentions it very briefly.