PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone seen the movie?

*ShortCake*
09-18-2003, 09:14 AM
Has anyone seen the movie?? It is so great!! Ihave that and Topper Returns. I am ordering the third Topper movie tomorrow :D.

vedastone
09-19-2003, 10:39 AM
Wow, a Hoagy Carmichael and Constance Bennett fan!:yippee:

Yeah, the Topper movie is great. The characters are quite different in some ways from the TV show. Even Topper's wife has a different name (Clara in the movie and Henrietta on TV). Roland Young is great as Topper. Leo G. Carroll gave his own flavor to the role on TV and I think they were both really funny.

I also have Topper Returns. It is a good movie, but doesn't quite measure up to the original, especially since George and Marion are not in it. Joan Blondell does a good job filling in for the ghosts, but it is not quite the same without Cary and Constance.

I think all the main characters in both the orignal movie and the TV show were great.

I may have seen Topper Takes a Trip long ago but don't really remember it. Please let me know how you like it.

hawaii five-o
09-19-2003, 06:21 PM
I saw it a long time ago. I love 30's slapstick movies.

Stuck In The '70's
09-19-2003, 06:25 PM
Never saw it but want to. For some reason it never plays on tv.

*ShortCake*
09-24-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by vedastone
Wow, a Hoagy Carmichael and Constance Bennett fan!:yippee:

Yeah, the Topper movie is great. The characters are quite different in some ways from the TV show. Even Topper's wife has a different name (Clara in the movie and Henrietta on TV). Roland Young is great as Topper. Leo G. Carroll gave his own flavor to the role on TV and I think they were both really funny.

I also have Topper Returns. It is a good movie, but doesn't quite measure up to the original, especially since George and Marion are not in it. Joan Blondell does a good job filling in for the ghosts, but it is not quite the same without Cary and Constance.

I think all the main characters in both the orignal movie and the TV show were great.

I may have seen Topper Takes a Trip long ago but don't really remember it. Please let me know how you like it.

I love Constance!! I thought she was a great person/actress/singer. I love Topper Returns too, but not as much as the first topper. I love Cary Grant too hehe. I havent had a chance to see the tv show yet!! I know its out on dvd though ( well six episodes of it anyways), so hopefully ill be able to find those and get them!!

Lvanett
02-15-2007, 06:06 PM
I haven't seen the first movie with Cary Grant (I think), but I have seen Topper Takes A Trip, which was recently on TCM.

The Great One
03-02-2007, 08:19 PM
I saw it a few times. There's nothing better than classic movies from the Golden Age Of Hollywood. :)

PattiB
04-27-2009, 08:03 PM
I used my DVD recorder to put Topper (1937) and Topper returns (1941) on DVD's. They show both on TCM.

William Hogan Jr
08-31-2009, 12:57 PM
I have all three movies. Topper(CZ), Topper Takes a Trip(CZ), Topper Returns(Original B&W version).Still have them on tape. Anybody have them on DVD?

Fanofoldtvshows
12-20-2009, 04:03 PM
I seen the movies and enjoyed them. My favorite is the 1st movie.

Schmoopie
12-20-2009, 10:59 PM
I really want to see the original as well. I caught part of it about a year ago, and never got around to renting it. Thanks for reminding me!

TV Knowledge Fan
02-21-2010, 12:40 AM
...were produced by Hal Roach, who wanted to prove that, as an independent producer, he could create feature-length comedies as successful as his one, two and three-reel comedy shorts had been- of all of his "short-subject stars", only Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy successfully made the transition to feature films; Charley Chase couldn't, and he went to Columbia in 1937; "Our Gang" went to MGM after Roach sold the series to his distributor in 1938; Patsy Kelly continued to appear as a supporting player in several Roach features [including "Topper Returns"] after her partner Thelma Todd died in 1935.

The first two films were adapted from Thorne Smith's original novels, and were very successful. The last one, "Topper Returns" (1941), was an original story {as Smith wrote no further "Topper" novels after his sudden death in 1934}. If World War II hadn't interrupted production at the Roach studio [it unofficially became "Fort Roach", where military training films were produced for the duration of the war, after 1942], there might have been at least one further "Topper" movie. After the war, Hal Roach found it difficult to sustain feature film productions as he had before the war, and eventually converted his operations towards television production....and one of the series filmed at his studio was- "TOPPER" [by independent producers John W. Loveton & Bernard L. Schubert]. George Oppenheimer slightly "revamped" the characters for TV ("Henrietta" Topper instead of "Clara", giving Topper a stereotypical crusty "bombastic" boss at the bank, George & Marion Kerby perishing in a skiing accident, along with a St. Bernard- "Neil"- who had a penchant for booze, with all three "haunting" Cosmo Topper after he moved into their home). That lasted two years (1953-'55), and 78 episodes, and they're what most people know about "Topper" today, because most of the episodes fell into public domain, and are reissued endlessly on "dollar DVD's"....

:tv:

Zoneboy
02-21-2010, 12:44 AM
I've seen the dvds in the dollar stores but it seems like I keep seeing the same episodes. If most of the 78 fell into the public domain then the religious channels I get on Sky Angel should look into adding them to their lineups instead of airing the same 16 episodes of The Andy Griffith Show over and over again.

vedastone
03-01-2010, 09:26 AM
TVKF - thanks for the detailed background about the production of the movies. And you succinctly explained the major differences between the movie characters and TV characters.

Although I enjoy the films greatly, there are a few things about the TV show that make it more complex and amusing, especially the addition of Neil and Mr. Skyler. Bombastic Thurston Hall was a riot at times and quite important to a majority of the plots, and the ghostly dog was quite an attraction for kids and served as a device for many extra little jokes.

Zoneboy - yes it's frustrating to be able to find so few episodes commercially available. However, bootleg sets exist that contain up to 70 or so of the 78 eps (of course video quality and completeness may be lacking). Depending on how many eps are actually in public domain, these sets could possibly be legit.

stanwyckfan07
01-30-2011, 02:26 PM
TOPPER (1937) and TOPPER RETURNS (1939) play on TCM at least once a year; TOPPER RETURNS (1941) is public domain and easily found on cheapie DVDs and DVD pd collections. I actually prefer the third movie as Joan Blondell is a considerably more appealing actress than Constance Bennett IMO.

rollo's girl
01-30-2011, 06:27 PM
"Topper" was actually on TCM this week. It is one of my very favorite classic movies and one I own. This movie is absolutely hysterical, watch it when you need a good laugh. Roland Young's portrayal of the oppressed businessman and his physical comedy was simply genius (watch the scene where the ghosts "help" him out of the hotel, I dare you not to laugh out loud):lol: . Billie Burke is, as always, a delight and of course Cary Grant is fabulous. This film was way ahead of it's time as far as the special effects go. Make a point to watch this sometime. I guarantee you'll be glad you did.

Torgo
12-08-2011, 03:39 PM
All 3 are very enjoyable movies.