View Full Version : the I-70 killer

cobra_commander
09-16-2003, 07:55 PM
okay, i need you guys' help. i was talking to a teacher of mine that was from st. charles, MO. i'm also from there and somehow we got on the subject of nancy kitzmiller, who was killed in the boot village plaza there by the I-70 killer. i later tried to find some recent info on him, and have come up with nothing.

also, if you guys could help me find the sketch of him, that would be spiffy. i remember that being one of the better sketches on UM. thanks!

cobra_commander
09-20-2003, 11:17 AM
phooey. i was hoping someone here could help me with this. :(

CrushedVelvet
09-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Hey Cobra. I tried searching for I-70 on the internet and didnt find anything???

CrushedVelvet
09-21-2003, 06:47 PM
http://www.cybersleuths.com/news/00__2000news/05022000.1026.htm

I typed in Nancy's name and this link came up.

rdsimms
09-23-2003, 12:44 PM
I thought that a man from Indianapolis was a suspect in these murders. When close to being caught he committed suicide. They found numerous buried bodies on his property. I do not remember his last name but I do remember that it sounded German.

Kane
09-24-2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by rdsimms
I thought that a man from Indianapolis was a suspect in these murders. When close to being caught he committed suicide. They found numerous buried bodies on his property. I do not remember his last name but I do remember that it sounded German.

Herbert Baumeister was his name. He was believed to have committed a series of I-70 killings, but that was an entirely different case. The I-70 murders he was suspected of were that of homosexual men, not the shopping center shooting deaths. Baumeister, who usually strangled his victims, killed himself while in Canada in 1996.

matt33
09-27-2003, 09:35 PM
I found a link that listed many of the victims of the I-70 killer...I keep wondering about this case.

http://www.cloquetmn.net/talkshop/messages/3504.html

Composite Sketch
09-28-2003, 12:47 AM
When did these murders take place? (The year(s) are good enough.)

matt33
09-28-2003, 11:11 AM
The murders took place mostly in early 1992. Investigators had thought it was over until similar murders took place in late 1993. The article below has additional information.

Copyright 1994 Gannett Company, Inc.
USA TODAY

May 26, 1994, Thursday, FINAL EDITION

SECTION: NEWS; Pg. 3A

LENGTH: 745 words

HEADLINE: Information highway may lead to killer

BYLINE: Mark Potok

DATELINE: JEFFERSON CITY, Mo.

BODY:
Somewhere amid the bits and bytes of a battered old computer, police believe they have the name of a man who has killed five women and one man in at least three Midwestern states.

More than a dozen detectives who met here this week say they could be closing in on the "I-70/I-35 killer" - a serial killer who has preyed on female shop clerks within a mile of the two interstate highways in Indiana, Kansas and Missouri. And new evidence suggests the murderer may have moved to Texas.

"I can't tell you we've come away with any prime suspect," says Lt. Pat McCarrick of St. Charles, Mo. "But we think we probably have this guy's name in our computer, and . . . we're going to find him."

Detectives gathered here for two days to exchange information and figure out how to search a computer database they've been building. More than 50,000 names - people at or near 1992 crime scenes in five Midwestern cities - have been entered.

"It's not like we have the finger of God pointing at anyone yet," McCarrick says. "But we do think these searches are going to be pretty telling."

Witnesses believed to have seen the killer in Wichita, Kan., and Raytown, Mo., describe him as thin, 5-foot-7 to 5-foot-9, with sandy blond hair with a reddish tint and, often, a day-old beard stubble.

He's white and in his mid-20s to early 30s. Some victims were robbed during his 29-day spree, but police say that was secondary - the killer clearly sought the thrill of murder.

But then he disappeared, along with the .22-caliber handgun that was used in each of the Midwestern murders. Police thought he was likely dead, in jail, or had stopped killing.

Until the Texas killings.

"It's almost too similar to disregard," says Fort Worth detective Dian Tefft, who is investigating the Sept. 25, 1993 murder of Mary Ann Glasscock, 51, a clerk killed execution-style in an antique store.

"It's definitely possible," adds police spokesman Dee Anderson of Arlington, Texas, where Amy Vess, 22, was murdered Nov. 1, 1993, while working at a dancewear shop.

Texas police also are investigating two other murders that may be connected, one in Dallas last November and another in Houston in January.

No forensic evidence, such as a gun, links the Texas murders to those in the Midwest almost two years earlier. But the similarities are many.

The killer is believed to stalk his victims, although that may be only by peering through shop windows. He enters the shop without force, pulls a gun and usually forces the clerk to the rear. There the clerk is shot in the back of the head or behind the ear. Because there have been no signs of a struggle, police say none of the victims expected their deaths.

None of the women have been sexually assaulted, but most have been young, petite brunettes.

"Our life is ruined, it has devastated our family," says Sylvia McCown, mother of Michael "Mick" McCown, who was killed in his Terre Haute, Ind., ceramics shop. Police think the killer may have mistaken McCown - who had longish hair and wore earrings - for a woman.

The killings began April 8, 1992.

Robin Fuldauer, 26, was killed that day at a Payless ShoeSource store in Indianapolis. Three days later, Patricia Magers, 32, and Patricia Smith, 23, were slain in a Wichita bridal shop. Then, on April 27, McCown was killed.

On May 3, Nancy Kitzmiller, 25, was murdered at a Western boot shop in St. Charles, a St. Louis suburb. And Sarah Blessing, 37, was slain in a video store in the Kansas City suburb of Raytown, four days later.

"Even if we catch this guy, it won't be settled because I want her back," says Bernadette Vess, mother of Arlington victim Amy Vess. "I miss her so terribly much."

Following the trail of an interstate killer Six slayings along Interstate 70 have been tied to a single killer, and possible links to four more deaths along Interstates 35 and 45 in Texas are being investigated. The slayings: 1. Indianapolis: April 8, 1992, Robin Fuldauer, shoestore clerk 2. Wichita, Kansas: April 11, 1992, owner Patricia 'Trish' Magers, left, and employee Patricia Smith, bridal shop 3. Terre Haute, Ind.: April 27, 1992, Michael 'Mick' McCown, ceramics store 4. St. Charles, Mo.: May 3, 1992, Nancy Kitzmiller, Western footwear shop 5. Raytown, Mo.: May 7, 1992, Sarah Blessing, video store

Suspected in Texas Arlington: Nov. 1, 1993, Amy Vess, dancewear shop Fort Worth, Dallas and Houston: Three store clerks shot in the head from September to January

hollywood91
10-09-2003, 10:08 AM
I would like info on the murders that occured in the '90s - my cousin was one of the girls found in the Missouri river - killed by the I-70 or "Independence Avenue" killer. Can anyone help??

Mr. Roboto
10-15-2003, 07:57 PM
This case has just been shown on Lifetime. No update, unfortunatly. :(

hollywood91
10-16-2003, 01:03 PM
Thank you Mr Roboto - I'll just keep searching.:(

The Shadow
06-18-2006, 01:44 PM
With the exception of Amy Vess, I know the man who killed the others.
Birth Name: Donald Michael Pince
Current Name: Donald Albin Blom (legally changed to)
Minnesota Department of Corrections file:
http://info.doc.state.mn.us/publicviewer/Inmate.asp?OID=111324
I tracked him in two days for the murder of Kathlyn "Katie" Elizabeth Poirier and a second unknown victim since known as Jane Doe 12-16 years. I used a pen name to protect my real identity. This became a "media circus" case.
The description of the I-70 killer matched Donald Blom perfectly! He was thin-almost gaunt from throat cancer now in remission. He raped one of the victims and his DNA will MATCH.

greatgarrett2
06-18-2006, 05:42 PM
They now suspect that the I-70 killer may be stalking victims (or had stalked victims) on the I-35 corridor down to Texas, as well.

I was thinking Herb Baumeister, too. But, as Kane said, Herb's choice of victims were homosexual men, not women or straight men. So, that aspect rules Herb out.

http://texomatales.com/mysteries.htm

kadrmas15
06-20-2006, 01:53 PM
Yeah, did Blom kill homosexual men? I have heard he is a suspect in a lot of murders, but what makes you think I-70? Obviously Katie Poirer wasnt the first one he killed. I think Blom is a serial killer that has killed several times but who these people are I dont know.

shelleylogan72
03-05-2008, 12:14 AM
I want a sketch of the I-70 killer also i was recent questioned about this case by th st. charles police dept

shelleylogan72
03-05-2008, 01:00 AM
I found a segment on the I-70 killer re:nancy kitzmiller search for I-70 killer

SitcomsAreTheWay
03-08-2008, 12:22 PM
For awhile, I actually figured that the killer attemped to break the pattern by having killed Michael "Mick" McCown, until I read this: Police think the killer may have mistaken McCown - who had longish hair and wore earrings - for a woman.

RightOnDude
03-10-2008, 11:52 AM
I want a sketch of the I-70 killer also i was recent questioned about this case by th st. charles police dept

Did they question YOU as a suspect? Just curious as to how that went.

synthisislab
04-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Wow, so this case is still unresolved, and they re-opened the investigation? Hopefully they can solve it or link any new crimes to it.

jimrtyler
08-30-2008, 07:45 PM
I was Nancy's neighdor and was there when the police told the parents of her murder so sad I hope they find him.

Gman24
09-28-2008, 07:56 PM
http://www.fbi.gov/publications/leb/2003/apr2003/april03lebx25x1.jpg

Here's a sketch of the man suspected in the homicides. By the way, I've read that the police did have a suspect in this case, but he was in jail during the time the murders in Texas were committed, so he's been ruled out.

DALLASTEXAN!!
09-30-2008, 01:42 AM
http://www.fbi.gov/publications/leb/2003/apr2003/april03lebx25x1.jpg

Here's a sketch of the man suspected in the homicides. By the way, I've read that the police did have a suspect in this case, but he was in jail during the time the murders in Texas were committed, so he's been ruled out.
that actually looks like a guy that I work with. but the guy is only like 23 so it can't be him.

yeah wasn't this guy reported to have been seen in arlington, texas? I lived there for about 15 years.

nevermind i read the whole thread. wow 2003.....that's when I really got back into UM and I did see this segment again then. i really miss the show. I looked up a search on the I-70 killer a few months back.... and I actually found a site that had a long listing of interstate serial killers or possible serial killers. It was quite chilling to say the least. especially when you consider how much some of us frequently use those interstates at all hours of the day.

Thor2000
06-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Actually this article pretty much connects Blom to all the murders: http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Alt/alt.true-crime/2006-01/msg01238.html

I also updated the Wiki page on the killer to include all the info I found.

MegtheEgg86
06-06-2009, 08:46 PM
I think both the I-70 and I-35 sketches (the two featured in the segment, of course) are dead ringers for Blom myself. I just don't understand the pattern of behavior. The Katie Poirier case was not at all like the random execution-style shootings at all.

archaeo2
03-04-2011, 10:42 PM
I think both the I-70 and I-35 sketches (the two featured in the segment, of course) are dead ringers for Blom myself. I just don't understand the pattern of behavior. The Katie Poirier case was not at all like the random execution-style shootings at all.

I found a case from New Mexico yesterday where the murderers MO was strikingly similar to the I70 Killer's. Does anybody know if he got that far into the southeast?

CuriousMind90
04-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Bump