PDA

View Full Version : Edna Skinner Dies At 82

Zoneboy
09-04-2003, 02:00 AM
Edna Skinner, actress known for her role on TV series "Mister Ed" and as replacement for Celeste Holm in the role of Ado Annie in the legendary Broadway production of "Oklahoma!," died at her North Bend, Ore., home Aug. 8 of heart failure. She was 82.
Washington, D.C., native sang in vaudeville and clubs in Manhattan. On radio shows, she did character voices, animals and sound effects. Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II hired her to sing scores for them and later cast her as the replacement Ado Annie in the original run of "Oklahoma!" During World War II, she organized bond rallies for the Treasury Dept., featuring stars such as Fanny Brice, Bea Lillie, Gertrude Lawrence and others.

She played neighbor Kay Addison from 1961-63 on the "Mr. Ed" series that featured a talking horse.

She also acted in six films, from "The Kissing Bandit" in 1948 to "Footsteps in the Night" in 1957. In addition, she appeared on TV in "Friendly Persuasion" (1956) and "Topper" (1954-55).

A lifelong angler, she later became a champion fishing expert, wrote more than 280 articles for fishing and sports magazines, and was employed by two fishing equipment manufacturers, for whom she and her companion of more than 40 years, photographer Jean Fish, traveled more than 485,000 miles on fishing trips and to various sports shows.

Stuck In The '70's
09-04-2003, 02:39 AM
Thats too bad. I'm going to watch Mr. Ed in 20 minutes.

Edna's Tongue
01-21-2005, 02:33 PM
...she and her companion of more than 40 years, photographer Jean Fish...

Now we know what Edna liked, it makes her scenes with Connie Hines that much funnier. "Come along, Carol, we'll sleep over here tonight..."

Vicki L.
01-30-2005, 06:29 AM
Now we know what Edna liked, it makes her scenes with Connie Hines that much funnier. "Come along, Carol, we'll sleep over here tonight..."

Please, Connie Hines is/or was married to a man and she's presumably straight. Leave her alone.

EmpressDR
01-15-2006, 02:05 PM
http://www.umass.edu/umassmag/archives/1997/summer_97/sum97_edna.html
This Edna Skinner looks almost exactly like "ours" from Mr Ed! But she was much older, though, and passed away earlier. Does anyone know if they were related?

EmpressDR
01-15-2006, 02:24 PM
http://www.umass.edu/umassmag/archives/images/summer_1997/sum97-edna1a.gif
The OLDER Edna Skinner

http://lifeinlegacy.com/2003/0816/SkinnerEdna.jpg
http://www.bochynski.com/billerwin/images/ed02.jpg
Mr Ed's Edna

Scoobiedoo30
02-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Rest in Peace Eddie Skinner.

baronzzz
05-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Edna Skinner was one of those great character actresses that graced many tv shows in the early years. If they ever run Topper in your area, look for her. She was a regular for awhile as Maggie the cook. She was always seeing things move around supposedly in mid-air but they were really objects being carried around by the ghosts (George and Marion Kirby). They ran Topper for awhile late at night here in LA about 10 years ago. What a great show and I enjoyed a very young Edna Skinner in it.

TV Knowledge Fan
05-22-2006, 03:21 PM
...especially on "MISTER ED". Because George Burns produced the series, I now realize that 'Kay and Roger Addison' were extensions of 'Blanche and Harry Morton' of "THE BURNS AND ALLEN SHOW". Larry Keating played a slight variation of 'Harry', while Edna was great at playing his long-suffering wife who was always a lot smarter than he was. I loved it when she called him "Addison", as though he were just another piece of furniture in the house.

I read about what happened after Keating's death in late 1963, as the fourth season got under way. The producers had no intention of keeping Edna on the show {you didn't acknowledge a character's demise in a comedy back then- which is why 'Kate Bradley' just vanished from Hooterville and "PETTICOAT JUNCTION" in late 1968, after Bea Benaderet's death, without a single word of explanation on-screen}. There was no room for a "widow" in 'Wilbur Post's' neighborhood, and she knew it. That's when she decided to get out of the acting business, and concentrate on her fishing prowess....which she did until her own death.

SalParadise
05-07-2014, 08:27 PM
I used to get her mixed up with Col Bellows wife on I Dream of Jeanie. Until I read this post I had no idea she wasn't straight. She seemed kind of brassy or bold on Mr. Ed, a good foal for 'Addison'. I figured her to be a snooty eastern well bred woman as 'Kaye'.

MickeyMac
05-08-2014, 02:42 PM
This is news to me. I assumed that she had passed away. I didnt know it was in 2003.

BachelorCat
05-08-2014, 04:44 PM
I always thought Edna Skinner was a real jazz baby. She had a showgirl costume on in one episode of Mr. Ed, and looked pretty good. She and Larry Keating beat the new, boring neighbors that moved in.

ILuvCarolBurnett
05-08-2014, 07:16 PM
DELETED

Hazel Anyday
06-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Yeah, I thought I had gone looney, I thought "Kay" had already died some time back, back in the '80's or '90's, but I see now that this is a 11 year old "News" story, apparently she moved to that great fishing hole in the sky in 2003. I always liked Edna too, she was a perfect match for Addison, they both seemed to equally annoy each other.:lol:

bonniegirl62
08-31-2014, 10:48 PM
I always thought Edna Skinner was a real jazz baby. She had a showgirl costume on in one episode of Mr. Ed, and looked pretty good. She and Larry Keating beat the new, boring neighbors that moved in.

I liked her!!! I liked the Addisons much better than the Kirkwoods too! ;)

bonniegirl62
08-31-2014, 10:52 PM
Yeah, I thought I had gone looney, I thought "Kay" had already died some time back, back in the '80's or '90's, but I see now that this is a 11 year old "News" story, apparently she moved to that great fishing hole in the sky in 2003. I always liked Edna too, she was a perfect match for Addison, they both seemed to equally annoy each other.:lol:

Yes they were really good, played the "Old married couple" so well!!! ;) I liked Kay , I thought she was cool , and I liked how she called everyone "Doll"!! She was a pretty lady too! ;)