PDA

View Full Version : Angelo Desideri Murder

Starbright726
08-16-2003, 06:13 PM
This segment played Friday (8/15), on a show that was one of the earliest broadcasts. Angelo Desideri (sp) was a quiet, devout Catholic who was close to his parents and owned several stores. He vanished from his Arizona home and his car was found burning later. An update revealed that a man, last name Majors was the prime suspect in his death and was already charged with several other murders (!). Property of Desideri's was found in Majors's locker. A fellow burgular who was a friend of Majors had given police this information and said Major confessed to him he had killed Desideri.

UM never updated the case further. Does anyone know if Majors was charged with Desideri's murder (the body was eventually found). Was Majors ever convicted for the other murders he was accused of committing? This case has always bothered me, maybe someone living in the area remembers the newspapers covering the trials for the other murders. Thanks.

Starbright726
08-23-2003, 05:25 PM
Okay, I did a bit of exhaustive research on Google and came up with this. I'm putting up for anyone familiar with the Angelo Desiseri segment on UM.

http://venus.soci.niu.edu/~archives/ABOLISH/may98/0737.html

CALIFORNIA:

In San Francisco, the state Supreme Court upheld the death sentence Monday of an Arizona man who was convicted of a triple murder in a
Sacramento suburb, and was accused by a confessed murderer of killing
7 other people in Arizona.

Rulings were unanimous.

James J. Majors, 50, of Phoenix, was convicted of murdering Jeanine
Copeland, 30; her boyfriend, Thomas Probst, 30, described by prosecution
witnesses as a drug dealer; and Patrick Mugavin, 24. Copeland's
8-year-old son found his mother's body on the floor of their Fair Oaks
home in January 1989. All 3 had been shot and the house had been robbed.

Majors admitted traveling from Phoenix to Sacramento with Robert Reese
of Peoria, Ariz., who had dealings with Probst, but he denied
accompanying Reese to the house or killing anyone. No incriminating
fingerprints were found. A prostitute, testifying for the prosecution,
said Majors had a gun and a pair of gloves when he was with her, and
that he and Reese divided up drugs, money and jewelry.

Reese was found shot to death in the Arizona desert a month after the
murders. A Phoenix restaurant owner, Giuseppe "Joe" Calo, pleaded guilty
in 1992 to the murders of Reese and 6 other people and said in a sworn
declaration that Majors had been the hitman for all 7, at the orders of
local drug dealers. Majors has never been charged with those killings.
Calo was sentenced to life in prison.

Majors' appeal argued that the jurors were exposed to inadmissible
outside information that could have influenced their verdict.

Richard Power, Majors' appellate lawyer, said future challenges to the
death sentence would be based on claims that Majors' trial lawyer,
Michael Brady, was unprepared and incompetent. Power also said Majors
had "a rotten upbringing" and was not connected to the murders by any
physical evidence.

Deputy Attorney General Alan Ashby declined comment.

(source: Associated Press)

Thanks, Starbright! :kiss:

Starbright726
09-05-2003, 08:16 PM
More info on our smiling, blond critter? He is on death row (never charged with Desideri's murder), and is seemingly lonely.

California Death Row Prisoner Pen Pal Requests - Page 2
www.ccadp.org/CA2.htm
JIM MAJORS

I turned 51 on January 31st 1999. I have blond hair and blue eyes. I have a good sense of humor and a fair grip on reality. I have been locked up in California for 10 years and have been on death row for 8 of those years. Not one day of the last 10 years has gone by that I didn't hope to be free again. When you are without the money to hire yourself a good Attorney and under sentence of death hope is about all that's left. To occupy my mind I like to read Western, Sci-Fi and Adventure books, Popular Science and Popular Mechanics magazines and I do Pen & Ink Art work. I'm not into any organized religion but have my own beliefs about higher powers. I really enjoyed fixing up old cars, boating, camping and fishing, when I was a free man. My dream for tomorrow is to find someone who will help me uncover the truth about my conviction and to get back into a court room with that truth to prove the case against me was manufactured. If you would care to contact me my address is:
JIM MAJORS NS-17-N
SAN QUENTIN STATE PRISON E-86700
SAN QUENTIN, CA 94974

mjopper
05-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Hi. I would love to have a conversation with you about the Jim Magors /Joe Calo murders. My uncle was one of the victims. If interested please write me thank you. June

mjopper
05-08-2008, 11:18 AM
More info on our smiling, blond critter? He is on death row (never charged with Desideri's murder), and is seemingly lonely.

California Death Row Prisoner Pen Pal Requests - Page 2
www.ccadp.org/CA2.htm
JIM MAJORS

I turned 51 on January 31st 1999. I have blond hair and blue eyes. I have a good sense of humor and a fair grip on reality. I have been locked up in California for 10 years and have been on death row for 8 of those years. Not one day of the last 10 years has gone by that I didn't hope to be free again. When you are without the money to hire yourself a good Attorney and under sentence of death hope is about all that's left. To occupy my mind I like to read Western, Sci-Fi and Adventure books, Popular Science and Popular Mechanics magazines and I do Pen & Ink Art work. I'm not into any organized religion but have my own beliefs about higher powers. I really enjoyed fixing up old cars, boating, camping and fishing, when I was a free man. My dream for tomorrow is to find someone who will help me uncover the truth about my conviction and to get back into a court room with that truth to prove the case against me was manufactured. If you would care to contact me my address is:
JIM MAJORS NS-17-N
SAN QUENTIN STATE PRISON E-86700
SAN QUENTIN, CA 94974

kadrmas15
05-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Ah, good ol James Majors. I am actually surprised he was never charged in Arizona. It is actually thought that Majors not only was involved in Angelo Desideri's murder but that he was also involved in Jeanne Tovera's murder as well. Majors was from San Diego and knew Hap Tovera. Majors had also been in Jeanne's house before where he worked as a painter.

mphs95
05-13-2008, 08:43 AM
Ah, good ol James Majors. I am actually surprised he was never charged in Arizona. It is actually thought that Majors not only was involved in Angelo Desideri's murder but that he was also involved in Jeanne Tovera's murder as well. Majors was from San Diego and knew Hap Tovera. Majors had also been in Jeanne's house before where he worked as a painter.

Wow, that boy Majors really got around, didn't he?

mjopper
06-17-2008, 10:46 PM
where is Joe Calo.... does anyone know?

kadrmas15
06-22-2008, 09:15 AM
Calo is currently serving multiple life sentences in Arizona. Giuseppe "Joe" Calo is now 53 years old. He is currently serving his time at the Lewis State Prison Complex in Buckeye, Arizona. http://test.azcorrections.gov/isearch/inmate_datasearch/results.aspx?InmateNumber=095062&LastName=CALO&FNMI=G&SearchType=SearchInet

This link should produce a photo of what Calo looks like now.

mjopper
06-30-2008, 09:44 AM
Thank you kadrmas 15

june

tnrtt
12-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Calo used to be in Florence AZ.

Majors is in San Quentin.

The reason Majors wasn't charged in AZ, is because they had zero evidence. Just what Calo said to get out of facing the needle.

truthseeker
12-11-2008, 12:28 PM
I would love to talk with you about majors and Calo.....I have a lot of information about them that may help answer some of your questions.
truthseeker

mozartpc27
12-14-2008, 09:56 PM
This segment played Friday (8/15), on a show that was one of the earliest broadcasts. Angelo Desideri (sp) was a quiet, devout Catholic who was close to his parents and owned several stores. He vanished from his Arizona home and his car was found burning later. An update revealed that a man, last name Majors was the prime suspect in his death and was already charged with several other murders (!). Property of Desideri's was found in Majors's locker. A fellow burgular who was a friend of Majors had given police this information and said Major confessed to him he had killed Desideri.

UM never updated the case further. Does anyone know if Majors was charged with Desideri's murder (the body was eventually found). Was Majors ever convicted for the other murders he was accused of committing? This case has always bothered me, maybe someone living in the area remembers the newspapers covering the trials for the other murders. Thanks.

It was? I never heard that.

phillipscurve
12-14-2008, 11:14 PM
I have just recently watched this case, and the Update mentions that Angelo Desideri's body was eventually found on April 29th 1989 by 2 campers, buried beneath a tree in Kitchen Creek, California, 45 miles east of San Diego.

davmaj2
09-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Would love to talk to you about this case.
I have alot of information also.

I would love to talk with you about majors and Calo.....I have a lot of information about them that may help answer some of your questions.
truthseeker

harrison1419
10-15-2009, 02:39 AM
arizona with life not death

harrison1419
10-15-2009, 02:42 AM
i new jim personaly and met jo once

harrison1419
10-15-2009, 02:47 AM
i new jim and met jo once as he handed jim a bunch of money and drove of in hes bmw

harrison1419
10-15-2009, 02:53 AM
i wil talk to you about what i know about jim

ivanhoe
03-06-2011, 02:19 PM
You seem to think that you know a lot about the case involving James Majors in Sacramento, CA. None of you posting on here know much. You put together bits and pieces and come up with supositions. I know a lot about that case. Having read 3,000 pages involving that case, all the transcripts of the trial, and was at part of that trial. I don't know a lot about the cases in Arizona but I know more than any of you posting on there.

ivanhoe
03-06-2011, 02:22 PM
I don't think Harrison that you really "knew" James Majors. I don't think anybody really knows him but if anybody does I come the closest. I don't think I ever heard your name mentioned as being a friend of his or even an acquaintance. Maybe you worked for him once in his painting business a long time ago.

ivanhoe
03-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Well little Dave you think you know a lot about the case but you don't. Your user name is a dead give away as to your identity and of course I would know who you are since I knew you when you were a teenager. Lets see, you would be about 38 years old now, wouldn't you? Nobody has ever been closer to James Majors than I or knows more about him than I, but then you know that.

ivanhoe
03-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Talk to me about what you know about Jim. I would be very interested hear because I think you are blowing smoke. I have been close to Jim for 30 years, how long have you been close to him?

ivanhoe
03-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Jim was never charged with any murders in Arizona. Joe Calo lied through his teeth to save his own skin and try to pin everything on Jim. The time line on the Desideri murder doesn't fit. There was never any evidence that tied him to these murders except for the story that Calo gave the authorities. In the state of Arizona you cannot convict a person solely on the testimony of a co-conspirator. None of the people that Calo testified were involved in drugs or killings in Arizona were ever indicted or charged. Not one!!!! Jim never knew Hap Tovera, he never knew Jeanne Tovera and never painted her house. Furthermore he never lived in San Diego at any time. I don't know where the one poster came up with this story. They have a man in prison for the murder of Tovera. There was never any evidence at any of the murder scenes that tied Jim to any of them. There is no evidence much like California where there was no evidence either but he was still convicted of those crimes.

bluebell66
07-10-2011, 04:38 PM
So if you know so much more then any one ,whom are you??????

bluebell66
07-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Well little Dave you think you know a lot about the case but you don't. Your user name is a dead give away as to your identity and of course I would know who you are since I knew you when you were a teenager. Lets see, you would be about 38 years old now, wouldn't you? Nobody has ever been closer to James Majors than I or knows more about him than I, but then you know that.
so if you know so much ,whom are you

TheCars1986
04-14-2012, 11:00 AM
I'm confused about this one. Was Desideri involved with the drug dealing in the Phoenix area, or did he just happen to stumble onto something he shouldn't have seen? Why was he killed? Was it simply because they knew he had a large sum of cash in his home, or was he really involved in the drug trafficking? I can't find anything as far as a motive. And I think Calo knew waaay to much information to have simply heard it from Jim Majors. I think Calo was describing what he himself had done.