PDA

View Full Version : I Didn't Know Howard Rollins Was Gay

isiahthomas
08-03-2003, 02:44 PM
Did ya'll know he was gay while he was on the show? I had no idea the whole time i was watching the show. He was a good actor though while he was on the show. I also think Carl Weathers did a good job of replacing him on the show.

Penny Lane
08-03-2003, 07:19 PM
No, I didn't know that.Where did you hear that?

isiahthomas
08-04-2003, 09:51 AM
U didn't know he was gay? Stop playin. I thought everybody knew that. I saw some pictures of him in a Enquirer dressed up like a woman. I know u can't believe everything the Enquirer says but the pictures looked real. They must've been telling the truth. He would dress up like a woman at night & mess with men. He died of aids so what does that tell u?

Penny Lane
08-04-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by isiahthomas
U didn't know he was gay? Stop playin. I thought everybody knew that. I saw some pictures of him in a Enquirer dressed up like a woman. I know u can't believe everything the Enquirer says but the pictures looked real. They must've been telling the truth. He would dress up like a woman at night & mess with men. He died of aids so what does that tell u?

According to the IMDB.com He died from Lymphoma (cancer). He was a drug abuser for many years before that and IF he had AIDS he might have gotten it through a needle. If the only info you have is from The Enquirer I seriously question that! Please get the real facts before posting anything like that! :rolleyes:

And you asked me, "You didn't know he was gay?" Well, your thread headline reads, "I didn't know Howard Rollins was gay" . You contradict yourself. If he was gay, it wasn't very well known as I had never heard about it. And I was a dedicated "Heat" fan for years! Next you will tell us that Bubba is really a woman!:crazy:

isiahthomas
08-04-2003, 04:14 PM
I'm sorry for posting the wrong information about his death. I believe he was gay though cause he would dress up like a woman prostitute at night is what i heard. Anyway did u see him in the movie A Soldier's Story with Denzel Washington? That's a good movie.

EricIdlefan
11-06-2003, 07:00 PM
I know he had a drug & alcohol problem & brushes with the law are the main reasons that Caroll O' Connor let him go because of the controverseys surrounding Rollins!!

EricIdlefan
01-15-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Penny Lane
According to the IMDB.com He died from Lymphoma (cancer). He was a drug abuser for many years before that and IF he had AIDS he might have gotten it through a needle. If the only info you have is from The Enquirer I seriously question that! Please get the real facts before posting anything like that! :rolleyes:

And you asked me, "You didn't know he was gay?" Well, your thread headline reads, "I didn't know Howard Rollins was gay" . You contradict yourself. If he was gay, it wasn't very well known as I had never heard about it. And I was a dedicated "Heat" fan for years! Next you will tell us that Bubba is really a woman!:crazy:

Isn't it strange both stars have passed away!! It is sad that he lived that lifestyle on top of having drugs and alcohol abuse and run-ins with the law!! Terrific talent and he threw it all away!!

blkninj01
10-31-2006, 06:54 PM
Not sure how to reply to this but people are just wrong. First of all, he died from cancer and he did not have AIDS. That Enquirer was just crazy. I am shocked that people still believe that crap that they put in there. He did have a problem with cocaine (never shot drugs though). The sad part is that he was clean the last 4 to 5 years of his life. It is kind of hard for people who are in the spot light because it is hard to fight all the rumors. People were always trying to say he was gay because of that picture they did but you had to know him know that most of the stuff out there about him was a crock. I know most of these things about him because he was my uncle if anyone wondered how I know these things.

Penny Lane
11-01-2006, 01:20 PM
Not sure how to reply to this but people are just wrong. First of all, he died from cancer and he did not have AIDS. That Enquirer was just crazy. I am shocked that people still believe that crap that they put in there. He did have a problem with cocaine (never shot drugs though). The sad part is that he was clean the last 4 to 5 years of his life. It is kind of hard for people who are in the spot light because it is hard to fight all the rumors. People were always trying to say he was gay because of that picture they did but you had to know him know that most of the stuff out there about him was a crock. I know most of these things about him because he was my uncle if anyone wondered how I know these things.

He was your uncle? Well you should know the facts. He was a fabulous actor and I miss him and Hugh and Carroll. I was always hoping that there would be a reunion show someday but I doubt that it will happen without the principle characters of Gillespie, Tibbs and Jamison. It just would not be good IMO. Too bad.:(

JuicyCoutureGirl
11-01-2006, 02:49 PM
Did ya'll know he was gay while he was on the show? I had no idea the whole time i was watching the show. He was a good actor though while he was on the show. I also think Carl Weathers did a good job of replacing him on the show.

And??????:rolleyes:

sugamama
03-07-2007, 10:39 PM
He was a Wonderful actor. I loved him in a soldiers story

Scoobiedoo30
04-21-2007, 02:10 AM
Howard was a wonder Actor and I sure do miss him

GSXRRyderLover
10-17-2007, 02:38 AM
:seeya:
I remember seeing those photos in the enquire he was wearing like a purple dress. According to all of the info I managed to Google up there is a diffrent story...
Black Celebrities Who Died With Little Or No Fanfare had this to say:
Howard Rollins was nominated for an Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Daytime Drama Series for his role on Another World. Rollins was also nominated for the 1981 Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his performance in the motion picture, Ragtime. In 1984, he starred in director Norman Jewison's film, A Soldier's Story which led to his role as "Virgil Tibbs" on the In the Heat of the Night television series based on Jewison's acclaimed motion picture of the same name. In 1993, Rollins spent about a month in jail for driving under the influence and reckless driving. Because of continued legal problems, Rollins was ultimately dropped from In the Heat of the Night and was replaced by Carl Weathers. Rollins was invited back as a guest star on several episodes in the seventh season, but further legal problems led to his being totally banned from the county where the series was filmed. During this time, Rollins changed his appearance and appeared on a talk show in feminine looking clothes. Rollins died in 1996 after complications from AIDS-related lymphoma and was interred in the Woodlawn Cemetery in his native Baltimore. He had been diagnosed with the condition approximately six weeks earlier.

Wiki said something similar.

megamanj2004
02-04-2012, 11:07 PM
I always heard about that he had battled drug problems and legal problems throughout his time on In the Heat of the Night.

But the gay part about him, I probably can believe that.

But aside from all those negativities, he was a great actor that got caught in the worst moments.

Psychster
02-06-2012, 12:02 AM
I'm not saying anything one way or the other about his being gay or not, I'd just like to point out that no one should take as fact anything printed in a source just as likely to say Rollins was the love child of Elvis and a space alien.

Maybe he was dressing pretty for a date with bigfoot.

It wasn't even him, it was a pod person created by Nazis hiding inside the hollow Earth.

Ellipses
05-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Yes there can't be a reunion with all these characters missing. I still miss Carroll especially. It is tragic that all three of them died. And Rollins and Hugh O'Connor died so young and tragically.