PDA

View Full Version : Some Questions about the Original Becky

TVFactFan
05-26-2003, 11:42 AM
THs is my first time posting on this board and just wanted to ask some questions about Becky.

Why did the original Becky leave the show?

What season did she leave the show?

Was the second Becky better or Worse?

TVFactFan
05-26-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Adam1982
Welcome to the Roseanne board....I hope you hang around for a bit...

I think Lecy (#1) left becasue she wanted to move on to college. She left after Season 5, but she wasn't really seen much in that season.

As for the second Becky, I actually liked the second one a little better to be totally honest. But saddly it seemed like Becky 2 had fewer lines...But I really thought she was a good replacement.

Just a note:
Lecy (#1) actually returned as Becky for most od Season 8, but then left again for Season 9.

I hope this helps you out, See ya later

Adam:)

Thanks Adam

Cashodeen
06-08-2003, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by Adam1982
Welcome to the Roseanne board....I hope you hang around for a bit...

I think Lecy (#1) left becasue she wanted to move on to college. She left after Season 5, but she wasn't really seen much in that season.

Yes, I remember distinctly that it was said she was going to leave the show to go to college. Adam, you're such an expert on this board... did you say "I think Lecy left..." because of the rumor that she may have left for another reason?

Some people think she left because Tom Arnold was a creep and made passes at her.

As for the second Becky, I actually liked the second one a little better to be totally honest. But saddly it seemed like Becky 2 had fewer lines...But I really thought she was a good replacement.

Not only did Becky #2 have fewer lines, but she had a personality change. Usually there are signs of a personality change with any replacement, but hers was huge. Becky used to be intelligent, able to hold her own kind of gal, and Becky number #2 wasn't very bright and spoke differently. Becky #1 was not the type to work at Hooters, and Becky #2 was. (Maybe it wasn't Hooters, but it was suppose to be some place like it.) It was funny because when Becky #1 came back in season 8, the writers even had her return to her old ways. I don't remember Darlene calling her names like "vegetable" like she would with Becky #2. And Becky #1 was serious about going to college in season 8. I don't remember Becky #2 ever being serious about it. Maybe she was... still, she was not meant to be a brain.

So all in all, Becky #2 was far worse! Bad replacement. But it wasn't Sara Chalke's fault. It just wasn't her role. But then Adam liked her better, so I can't speak for everyone on that. (Sure you didn't like her just because she was better looking...? ;) )

Just a note:
Lecy (#1) actually returned as Becky for most od Season 8, but then left again for Season 9.

I hope this helps you out, See ya later

Adam

Adam, why did Lecy work off and on during season 8 and then just leave again for season 9? That was weird.

TVFactFan
06-08-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Cashodeen

Adam, why did Lecy work off and on during season 8 and then just leave again for season 9? That was weird.

I haVE A foggy memory of this show but I thought the first Becky was snobish and shallow. Was she?

Cashodeen
06-08-2003, 01:00 PM
Thanks for more of the info Adam. It suprised me when I first heard from these boards about the Tom/Lecy rumor. I'll keep that in mind, but for the most part I'll assume she did leave for college. That was the news story back in 92 anyhow.

Originally posted by SOLOMON
I haVE A foggy memory of this show but I thought the first Becky was snobish and shallow. Was she?

Well, that all depends on how you view her attitude toward some things. She was furious that her parents couldn't afford to send her to a good college, and she threw in their face that she "Busted her butt" in school to get good grades. She said she was going to end up just like her mother. "Yeah, going to night school, working at the Buy N Bag. I'm gonna wind up just like you!" Is what she said about that.

Then she was mad her parents couldn't get her a car, and when her aunt, Jackie asked her if she was going to run for student councel again she said real snotty, "Oh no, I got to look for a job. Sure student councel can help me get into a good college, but hey... who needs a future?"

The only thing I can remember about her being maybe shallow was she told her sister, "You just wish you could get a guy like that," meaning her boyfriend Mark.

So yeah, there are some times she'd act pretty snobby and shallow--probably more times than I can remember about that one. As a whole, she probably did act like she was better than everyone in her family. I usually remember her for being smart, so when the new Becky wasn't meant to be that way, it annoyed me. But by the time the new Becky came on, I lost respect for the show anyways, so I'm able to watch the first and second half of "Roseanne" without caring too much. I pretty much pretend both halfs are two different shows--they are so different.

~~Wow, a 9 month delay in editing--no ones going to care now, but I do--I got a quote way wrong and didn't notice until now.

iloveTV
06-28-2003, 04:41 AM
I don't think the original Becky was shallow or snobby, she was just a typical teenage girl. Who hasn't acted they they were better than someone else in their family? or gotten mad when something didn't go their way?

The writing for the first Becky was very real and I thought very relatable to most people. Maybe she might seem shallow at first glance but she was also a great sister when Darlene needed her, right? I can't think of an example... Can anyone else?

stephy
11-15-2003, 11:23 AM
there are some episodes where becky and darlene argue alot but they are always there for each other, like when becky got wasted and darlene covered for her.

Elizabeth Smith
11-15-2003, 11:49 AM
Does anyone know what college the original Becky went to in real life? Did she graduate? I don't remember any details about it.

stephy
11-15-2003, 11:54 AM
she went to vasser and was and english major

bubblegum
11-15-2003, 04:12 PM
I also read some where she was on the rugby team but I am not sure if this is a rumour or not.

The episodes Sarah played Becky in the eighth season are:
Becky Howser MD
We're going to Disney WOrld
Disney World War 11
THe Wedding
Lecy's last appearance was in Heart & Soul.

In the episode Halloween:the final chapter Sarah Chalke, the second actress to play Becky, returns as a trick-or-treater. Roseanne remarks that Sarah's character seems so nice that she wishes she was one of her own children.

LecyGoransonfan
11-15-2003, 06:41 PM
I hate to correct you Bubblegum but Lecy plays Becky in Becky Howser MD. In fact I'm watching it now and I think it's my favorite epsiode of season 8 besides the last 3.

Cashodeen
11-15-2003, 08:40 PM
nevermind folks.

Elizabeth Smith
11-16-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by stephy
she went to vasser and was and english major

Thanks