PDA

View Full Version : What state did leave it to beaver take place in?

Karnage
02-21-2000, 06:38 PM
I know the town that leave it to beaver was from is Mayfeild. However I was wondering what state this show was supposed to have taken place in?

collins
03-11-2000, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Karnage:
I know the town that leave it to beaver was from is Mayfeild. However I was wondering what state this show was supposed to have taken place in?

wisconsin. there are several clues. Madison and Monroe are often mentioned; the W on the pennant in the boys bedroom; crystal falls is in the Michigan penninsula;there is a suburb of milwaukee called mayfield.

trmoore
09-11-2000, 02:23 AM
In the episode where they built the eskimo boat, Ward states the ocean is twenty miles away, that would put it on the east or west coast. Since beaver wore his coat a lot it would put it on the north east or north west coast. The letter could have stood for any town. Mayfield represents no known town.

rjrane
10-06-2000, 01:37 PM
I think it could be in Ohio.I live in Ohio- and in fact close to Mayfield Heights,Ohio. For years I lived in Shaker Heights,where Ward said he grew up.Whenever I drive down one street in Mayfield Heights,and drive past Mayfield High School,I always remember Wally Cleaver and whistle the Beaver theme to myself.

scut farkas
12-17-2000, 09:30 PM
It was Ohio. Euclid Avenue. The Ohio State pennant on Eddie Haskell's bedroom wall. Gotta be Ohio.

Dobie
12-17-2000, 10:07 PM
It was filmed in California but I think The Cleavers lived in Ohio I am pretty sure and how I think so is becuase Larry Mondello's father is always in Cincinatti. Its just a guess I have.

Dobie
12-17-2000, 10:10 PM
I mean the show was filmed in California but the characters of the show The Cleavers probably lived in Mayfield, Ohio.

James
01-07-2001, 04:43 PM
Every time I watch the show I can't help but think Ohio is where it took place. The Cleveland suburbs and Cincinnati (where Larry Mondello's father always was) have always gotten mention. In one episode a girl named Allison moves into Beaver's school, and she said she was from Hamilton, some 30 miles north of Cincinnati.

Then in one episode Wally and his friends mentioned Route 7, which exists in eastern Ohio from Conneaut to Chesapeake (north of Huntington, WV).

gregg987
05-09-2001, 02:53 PM
How could the location be Ohio as Ward mentioned the ocean being close to their home?

sami dg
05-09-2001, 07:14 PM
In the book The world according to Beaver the author stated that the writers made the location of Mayfield a secret , possibly so this conversation could go on for years.

Richard
06-11-2001, 04:49 PM
I wonder if one of the head writers,either Mosher or Connelly,was an Ohioan.That would explain many references.

lukes42
06-16-2001, 04:36 PM
Well, I think we can go around and around in circles discussing this topic. I guess its been one of those strange mysteries about the show that has existed since it went off the air. This and what actually Ward's occupation was. Personally, I think the show was based in Ohio, but who really knows.

Beavs great
06-18-2001, 03:16 AM
At the beginning of the later episodes, each of the family members run out the front door and get into the car (Ward is carrying a thermos, Wally a beach towel). However, there is no state on the car's rear license plate which is shown very clearly! The episode where Wally gets roped into taking the Beav and his friends camping, it seems there were mountains shown (painted) in the background and Eddy falls off of a clift/ledge. Are there mountains along route 7 in western Ohio? Does anyone remember the name of the lake that they went to?

lukes42
06-18-2001, 10:41 PM
You have to remember that the show was taped in California, so the mountains that you see in some of the later episodes are the ones near Los Angeles. I can't remember the name of those mountains right now, but there's a chain that runs close to LA

lukes42
06-18-2001, 10:42 PM
The Lake that they most often visit is called Friend's Lake, and I know they visit Crystal Falls early on. I think that's a lake on the show, too.

Matt Kratoville
06-22-2001, 09:00 PM
Leave It To Beaver: Where is Mayfield???
I would have to guess strongly that the town of Mayfield is located in the Buckeye State of OHIO! Let's face it! Leave It To Beaver has a strong mid-west flavor to it! Moreover, Larry Mondello's father is constantly going to Cincinnati all the tyme! As for the camping trip that Beaver & Wally and friends went on, I remember taking a trip to some wooded hills just south of Columbus, the State Capital of the Buckeye State! So that's my guess! Call it Mayfield, Ohio, USA! By the way, that's a very pretty dress you're wearing, Mrs. Cleaver!

lukes42
06-24-2001, 11:06 AM
As I was watching one of my tapes of the show that I recorded during the marathon weekend, I noticed that in the episode VooDoo Magic, in Eddie Haskell's room was an Ohio State Pennant tacked up on his wall. This is the scene where Beaver visits Eddie, who is faking to be sick in bed, to see how he is and to bring him flowers. Who knows, maybe this is just a coincidence. Anybody else notice this before?

tdr
06-24-2001, 09:59 PM
There actually is quite a bit of evidence that the show had Ohio in mind...a very white small town or suburb with middle class and middle American values. Eddie has the OSU pennant in his room, Larry's dad is usually on business in Cincinnati, and Larry says his brother lives in Cincinnati; there actually is a Mayfield and a Shaker Heights near each other in OH.

Sometimes it seems the reason Ward makes the comment that they live 20 miles from the ocean is to deflect too much evidence that they were locating Mayfield in a particular state after all. [No one calls Lake Erie an "ocean," do they?]

I know how silly it can be to try to sort the info and come to a conclusion which is only fictional to begin with; however, the process of elimination shows that Mayfield is:

Not near Cincinnati-- it (Cin.) is referred to as being elsewhere and far enough away for overnight stay.
Not near Los Angeles-- it was a 'long way' from there, said Don Drysdale.
Not on the east coast-- although it may take someone like Aunt Martha to say the Cleaver home "is such an eastern-looking home so far west."
North of Texas-- Wally says "they've got it all [oil] down in Texas."
Not near Washington, DC-- Miss Landers at first took it seriously when Beaver lied and said his dad was "flying to Washington to see the president." [I suppose east coast would include that one anyway]
Not near St. Louis, since Ward had to fly there and stay for a few days on business.

Less definite clues:
Sometimes mountains are shown as being close, but no arid or desert terrain; so not likely AZ, NM, UT, or NV.
No one talks with a southern, an Appalachian, or (except Aunt Martha, a visitor) a New England/NE accent.
Farms are sometimes seen or inferred, but agriculture does not seem to be an important industry to the town; at least not as if it were a small town in Iowa or Nebraska.

The weather implications [jackets and coats] mean nothing except that Mayfield is not in a place which is warm or dry year around, although snow is never seen.

So-- excepting for Ward's "twenty miles from the ocean" citation-- we seem to be given that the location is somewhere within a triangle of Ohio, Illinois, and Wisconsin. Or else-- perhaps *with* the '20 miles from the ocean' quote valid-- in the northwest; Oregon or Washington state.

[This message has been edited by tdr (edited 06-25-2001).]

Dad_Is_Here
06-12-2012, 05:47 PM
I know this is an old thread but I came up with a location that fits all the criteria first of all there is Rt 7 which is a road in Maryland on the north east side of Baltimore In Baltimore County and Harford counties. The Location of the Baltimore suburbs was about 20 min from the ocean in the 50's and 60's, now the traffic is worse of course... That being said, in the episode "Beavers secret life" Wally refers to the Colts football team which at the time was the Baltimore Colts.

We all know that it was filmed in California, so the mountains in the background of some of the scenes could be expected. On occasion mistakes are made in filming and I expect that is one similar to cigarettes being at a different state of burning from one frame to the next.

I don't know what town Mayfield is modeled after but it would seam to me it would be a Baltimore Suburb. As for the Pennants in Eddies room... My son has pennants from many different colleges in his room from going to games at several different colleges so I don't think that's much of an indicator...

If some one can think of a reason that it couldn't be Baltimore I would love to hear your reasoning.

:)

Cincy Guy
06-12-2012, 06:00 PM
I have read that the town was styled after Shaker Heights, a Cleveland suburb. There is a Mayfield Heights just east of the downtown area of Cleveland.

One of the problems of the show supposedly being in the Cleveland area is that I never recall seeing any episode with snow in it or even any very cold weather. Residents of the Cleveland area will attest both snow and cold are very common there from late fall through early spring.

Dad_Is_Here
06-12-2012, 06:13 PM
I have read that the town was styled after Shaker Heights, a Cleveland suburb. There is a Mayfield Heights just east of the downtown area of Cleveland.

One of the problems of the show supposedly being in the Cleveland area is that I never recall seeing any episode with snow in it or even any very cold weather. Residents of the Cleveland area will attest both snow and cold are very common there from late fall through early spring.

Where did you read that?

It's no where near RT 7 and it far more than 20 min from the ocean.

As for snow... That is probably because the show was filmed in California.

Cincy Guy
06-23-2012, 10:05 AM
The information about the town where LITB took place being modeled from Shaker Heights was in one of the Richard Lamparski "Whatever Became of..." books in the 1980's that featured a chapter on Hugh Beaumont.

The show was filmed in California, but film studios there have been able to create snow for over 100 years.

Dad_Is_Here
06-23-2012, 08:29 PM
I have just watched a show where the boys were traveling on a train by themselves to a relatives home in NY. Many clues in that episode. You should watch it. :)

tdr
06-25-2012, 05:24 PM
If some one can think of a reason that it couldn't be Baltimore I would love to hear your reasoning.

You picked a very old thread on this subject :) . There have been many other threads, but I see mainly 2 items of reasoning some of those include that, as you would "love to hear," shows it couldn't be Baltimore. I have updated my own persuasions since what I posted on this 11-year-old thread, but I'm not going to go over all that, just what you seem to be looking for. [You can, of course, find those other threads on the Search function.]

First, remember the final season ep, near the end of the series run, when Eddie is planning to go on a fishing cruise to Alaska. There would be no such cruise that leaves from Baltimore or the Chesapeake Bay area. They wouldn't go through the Panama Canal or around Cape Horn on a summer time fishing venture. Interestingly, though, this does lend a bit of credibility to Ward's quote of years before, "We live twenty miles from any ocean..." But the summer Alaska deal kills it. And it also supports the idea of the Northwest (Washington or Oregon) as the location, as we can easily imagine fishing boats leaving from there to fish near Alaska during the hottest season.

The other point is also from the final season; the episode about Lumpy's football scholarship. One guy approaches Lumpy and says, "If they go to the Rose Bowl this year, get me a couple of tickets, will you?" They, of course is "State," the university from which he got the scholarship offer. If you know college football (and do know the history thereof), you know that from 1946 until the Rose Bowl finally joined the BCS (1999?), the Rose Bowl game was between the Big Ten Conference winner and the Pacific Coast (later Pacific 8, later still the Pac 10) Conference winner. So if 'State' was a land grant university that used State in its official name [logical enough], that narrows it down to Ohio State, Michigan State, Oregon State, and Washington State-- Arizona State and Penn State were not in those respective conferences at that time (1963).

To sum it all up, this is a debate which really has no answer, but it's a bit of fun for fans, even so. Washington or Oregon meets the rugged mountains shown in the camping episodes, the "twenty miles from the ocean" remark, and the fishing excursion to Alaska. Ohio and Michigan meet the 'feel' of the show being middle America, the references to Cincinnati and to the Cleveland suburbs and street names. All 4 states meet being: not southern, not northeastern, not Texas, not southern California, and the 'relative' situation of Aunt Martha's combination put-down and compliment of "it's good to see such an eastern-looking home so far west." But none of them reflect the climate of the respective area, and Larry's father nearly always being in Cincinnati wouldn't ring true if they live 2000 miles from there (or maybe it's another Cincinnati?), and no fishing troller leaves from the Great Lakes area to fish in Alaska.

Well, maybe I did go over most of my arguments. :lol:

Schmoopie
06-25-2012, 08:16 PM
Ha ha, I love it that a thread was continued twelve years after the last post! Awesome! I never really thought about the location for this show but I think all the guesses could be right. It's most likely a mystery that will never be solved. Maybe the writers just wanted to depict small town America. Although I have to say (Selfishly of course) that I'm kind of hoping it's either Washington or Oregon!

xanadu1
06-28-2012, 03:03 PM
I was just watching an episode and I wondered where they lived. Ward told beaver that New England was "just a few hours away by plane" That would put it in the areas that were mentioned above. somewhere on the Eastern half of America. I guess their just was not a location, but growing up, I always felt like they lived on my street here in Texas. I always had the same situations and problems as Beaver. And I grew up in the 80's!

stevea
07-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Ha ha, I love it that a thread was continued twelve years after the last post! Awesome! I never really thought about the location for this show but I think all the guesses could be right. It's most likely a mystery that will never be solved. Maybe the writers just wanted to depict small town America. Although I have to say (Selfishly of course) that I'm kind of hoping it's either Washington or Oregon!
This debate goes back years, on other sites, too! It's fun to try to figure out--just like trying to figure out what Ward does!

jetboy24
09-23-2012, 11:13 PM
the second show, 'Still The Beaver', was definitely supposed to be Ohio, but the original never revealed location..

gebby10
06-20-2013, 09:57 AM
Can't be Mayfield, Ohio. There is no Grant Avenue in Mayfield. Just another ficticious town.

Queeg
08-15-2013, 12:38 AM
Mayfield is definitely in Oregon.

Several bits of circumstantial evidence. And one piece of hard fact.

The circumstantial evidence:

1. Mayfield is near the ocean because Eddie goes to the dock to interview for a summer job on a fishing boat in Alaska. The fact that the boat goes to Alaska (as opposed, for example, to Nova Scotia) suggests the port is on the West Coast.

2. As noted above, the Cleavers make frequent references to Pacific Coast and Pac-8 athletes. And the Rose Bowl reference for "State" fits Oregon State.

3. June once mentions Ward's fishing trips, one to "Minnesota" and another to "Seattle." The reference to the city by name suggests Seattle is nearby. They also mention that they fish with salmon eggs, which again suggests the Pacific Northwest.

4. We know from several references that they don't live in California.

5. The boys have a pennant over one of the beds with a "W" on it. Could stand for a lot of things, but Washington fits the overall picture.

So it has to be in the Pacific Northwest. But why Oregon and not Washington?

Because of the clincher: In the "Wally's License" episode, when Wally does his driver training, the car they drive has a license plate with an "E" inside an "O". That's a license plate design Oregon has used in the past. Like the example attached.

Idyllic Mayfield, Oregon.

biffbronson
08-15-2013, 12:58 AM
Let's remember that when Beaver and Gilbert called the Los Angeles Dodgers to speak with Don Drysdale, every indication was that their call to LA was a very expensive long-distance call -- implying that Beaver's home was certainly not in one of the west-coast states...! This show always had a midwestern feel to it in my opinion, not west. To me, the fuss written into an ep over long-distance to LA trumps a license plate design from Oregon that slipped into view, especially if it was a 1930s plate.

Zinc2
08-16-2013, 11:19 PM
The Cleaver's resident state has always been a mystery and source of speculation since the beginning of the series. We know certain places it isn't, for example, California---although we all know it was actually filmed there.

I'm on the side of the folks who claim Connelly and Mosher kept it open, probably so everyone could relate and feel the Cleavers could be their neighbors.

I submit the following examples of how the writers had a chance to reveal, but instead choose Mayfield's location to be an enigma...making it where you wanted it to be.
1. "Merchant Marine" episode: A letter comes addressed to Wally with his address on it. It says "Mayfield. (period)". No state is given, which would be customary on a letter of this sort.
2. "Wally's Pug Nose" episode: The nose straightener from Contoura Products is shown in Beaver's right hand as he pulls it from under Wally's bed. Beaver's right thumb totally covers where the state would be, but Mayfield is clearly shown.
3. "Her Idol" episode: We see the letter Ward has read from Mrs. Rayburn admonishing Beaver's behavior. The address on that letter has "Mayfield, State".
4. "The Pipe" episode: The Cleavers are gathered in the garage to open the wooden box, their German gift from the Rutherford's. As Ward is prying the box open their address is seen. It is "Mayfield, U.S.A.".

Tweety
08-20-2013, 11:51 PM
There were a bunch of shows in TV's early years that simply created fictitious towns without any clues about what state they might be in.

But it seems like the creators of Leave It To Beaver wanted to sprinkle a few "clues" (including contradictory ones) into several episodes just to have some fun.

It would seem to me that most of the evidence for LITB's location would be in the midwest somewhere... Illinois, Wisconsin or Ohio.

And it sure is fun to speculate on questions like this.

Growing up watching the show (not in its prime time run, but in syndication), I always kind of pictured it as being Ohio. But not for any particular reason.

Zinc2
08-22-2013, 10:31 PM
I really agree with what you say, Tweety. Sprinkling in the clues did make it fun. It's so easy to get serious sometimes, but you reminded us the operative word here is "fictitious".

Where Mayfield was located is interesting speculation, but something I read on Hugh Beaumont's Wikipedia page is perhaps even more intriguing. It says, "Local legend in Chattanooga says that the name of the fictional town of Mayfield, where the Cleavers lived, actually came from the Mayfield Dairy, for which Beaumont had worked while attending school in Chattanooga."

It would be exciting if this were true, regarding the origin of the Mayfield name. But, it is labeled "local legend" and this Wiki site is the only place I personally have ever seen this tidbit. Anybody know of other references to this? There currently is a Mayfield Dairy operating in Chattanooga.

Also, Hugh Beaumont's mother's maiden name was Whitney. Enter Whitey Whitney. The names Mayfield and Whitney may have indeed come from Beaumont's life.

Joe Connelly was a SeeBee and "Beaver" his shipmate are not legend, but known to be true so there is some precedent.

I wouldn't doubt cast and crew had occasional input to fictional names chosen for the show, with some tracing back to their own life.

jrobinson45abc
09-03-2013, 08:10 PM
There's a Season 3 episode where Fred brags to Ward that Lumpy played in the school band "for the Governor in Madison." And sorry, the E on the license plate inside a circle or a diamond is a common designation for an official car of state or local government agencies. It's used in CA as well.

dahur1
09-05-2013, 12:43 PM
The episode I just saw, Wally talks about their team playing "Cleveland High".

BlueJasmine
11-13-2013, 02:39 AM
How could the location be Ohio as Ward mentioned the ocean being close to their home?

I was just thinking that ;) Based on several clues, my guess would be one of the mid-Atlantic states. First of all, when Beaver was going to go away to school in New England, Ward mentioned that it was only a few hours away by plane. So, that eliminates New England (where I'm from :D ) and, also, the West Coast. I also remember an ep where Richard told Beaver that he wasn't going home until he saw a car with New Jersey plates drive by and Beaver, a minute later, said, 'There's one from Pennsylvania." (I think it was PA, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :cool: ) And then when Beaver was going to be on TV, Gilbert said something about his aunt in PA watching and back in the 50's and 60's, the TV antennas only got reception for a limited radius. And, since there were no southern accents and the boys often wore coats, that would eliminate the southern coastal states. My guess is Maryland. Part of it borders the Atlantic Ocean, and it's also close to both PA and NJ :) (And, it's also close enough to Ohio for all of Larry's father's many trips there to be believable :lol:)

BlueJasmine
11-13-2013, 02:48 AM
I know this is an old thread but I came up with a location that fits all the criteria first of all there is Rt 7 which is a road in Maryland on the north east side of Baltimore In Baltimore County and Harford counties. The Location of the Baltimore suburbs was about 20 min from the ocean in the 50's and 60's, now the traffic is worse of course... That being said, in the episode "Beavers secret life" Wally refers to the Colts football team which at the time was the Baltimore Colts.

We all know that it was filmed in California, so the mountains in the background of some of the scenes could be expected. On occasion mistakes are made in filming and I expect that is one similar to cigarettes being at a different state of burning from one frame to the next.

I don't know what town Mayfield is modeled after but it would seam to me it would be a Baltimore Suburb. As for the Pennants in Eddies room... My son has pennants from many different colleges in his room from going to games at several different colleges so I don't think that's much of an indicator...

:)

However did I miss your post??? :eek: (I skipped right by your post without even reading it and answered another one :crazy: ) I agree with you (see my above post) and, through the process of elimination, also came up with Maryland ;)

sherluvsoldies
11-28-2013, 12:29 AM
Always thought they were on the east coast!:)

sherluvsoldies
11-28-2013, 12:32 AM
There were a bunch of shows in TV's early years that simply created fictitious towns without any clues about what state they might be in.

But it seems like the creators of Leave It To Beaver wanted to sprinkle a few "clues" (including contradictory ones) into several episodes just to have some fun.

It would seem to me that most of the evidence for LITB's location would be in the midwest somewhere... Illinois, Wisconsin or Ohio.

And it sure is fun to speculate on questions like this.

Growing up watching the show (not in its prime time run, but in syndication), I always kind of pictured it as being Ohio. But not for any particular reason.

Scrabjan1
11-29-2013, 01:25 PM
They also would vacation at Lake Crescent and Happy Weekend they go to Shadow Lake in the mountains also Miller's Pond was nearby. Whenever they showed an envelope or package addressed to the Cleavers there was no state. That's how they wanted it to be. When Wally has that nose gadget delivered they show the package up close but Beaver's thumb is over the state also when Fred sends that meerschaum (pipe) to Ward the crate says "Mayfield, U.S.A.

In Box Office Attraction they find out Marlene's parents live in California. June says she wished they lived in Ohio, a nice quiet state.

Dude111
11-29-2013, 02:12 PM
It was Ohio. Euclid Avenue. The Ohio State pennant on Eddie Haskell's bedroom wall. Gotta be Ohio.Thats what I always thought: MAYFIELD OHIO!

MMR
11-30-2013, 12:42 PM
Another one who'd say Ohio.

For all the reasons mentioned earlier, and this one:

When Aunt Martha is mentioned, they pronounce "aunt" like the insect, and that seems to be an Ohio or at least midwestern thing, judging from folks from there.

BlueJasmine
12-02-2013, 04:18 PM
In one of the eps I watched last week, Ward said that they were 20 miles from the ocean (and, also, the guys would often talk about the beach and surfing, etc.). And when Eddie went down to the docks for his merchant marine interview, that ship was definitely sitting in salt water. So, it had to be a coastal state :) It couldn't have been New England, because when Beaver was going to go to prep school, Ward mentioned that it was only a few hours away by plane to New England (which also eliminates the West Coast). And since they didn't have southern accents (and, since they were often seen wearing winter coats, that eliminates the southeast coastal states, as well). That only leaves the mid-Atlantic states (Maryland, Delaware, etc.), and my money's on Maryland :)

Cincy Guy
03-26-2014, 03:10 PM
In the episode "Summer In Alaska" from the sixth season (1962-63) Eddie is looking into a job on a fishing boat in Alaska. In it, Wally, Lumpy and he go to an office where Eddie speaks with a "Captain Drake". To set that scene, there is a quick lead-in that shows a dock and tugs on the water. Based on what is shown and then said, I'm led to think that Mayfield is in the Pacific Northwest. In addition, as Eddie, Wally and Lumpy seemed to make the trip to see "Captain Drake" so quickly, the town must be very close to the ocean.

BlueJasmine
03-26-2014, 04:06 PM
In the episode "Summer In Alaska" from the sixth season (1962-63) Eddie is looking into a job on a fishing boat in Alaska. In it, Wally, Lumpy and he go to an office where Eddie speaks with a "Captain Drake". To set that scene, there is a quick lead-in that shows a dock and tugs on the water. Based on what is shown and then said, I'm led to think that Mayfield is in the Pacific Northwest. In addition, as Eddie, Wally and Lumpy seemed to make the trip to see "Captain Drake" so quickly, the town must be very close to the ocean.

I agree that they all live in a coastal state, but, based on all of the clues put together, it can't be on the West coast. Some examples would be (as I said in an earlier post) the fact that when Beaver was thinking of going away to boarding school in New England, Ward said that New England was only a couple hours away by plane. That wouldn't be the case if they lived in Washington state or Oregon. Also, when Beaver was going to be on local TV, Gilbert said something about his aunt in Pittsburgh always watching the show and back when LITB was airing, TV antennas only had a radius of about 100 miles. Therefore, it would have to be a mid-Atlantic state. (There are other examples, too, but I think I've already listed them in other posts ;) )

Tweety
03-27-2014, 05:35 AM
I mentioned in an earlier post that I'd always imagined the show taking place in Ohio when I was growing up.

I recently watched the episode "Box Office Attraction", in which Wally falls for a girl (Marlene) who works at the local movie theater ticket window. He ends up going out on a date with her but found out that she likes "beer joints".

In that episode, June and Ward were trying to decide what kind of a girl Marlene is, based on their dinner conversation (they invited Marlene to dinner and then she and Wally went out afterwards). June had a line about how she was "hoping that Marlene was from someplace like Ohio".

To me, that line suggests that June had a certain image in her mind about people from Ohio, and what they are like, and what the towns are like that they live in (kind of like I did as a kid), and that the image she had of Ohioans and Ohio was very positive. So based on that line, it seems that the show did not take place in Ohio. I don't think the writers would have someone who's in Ohio say something like that.

doors43
04-10-2014, 06:42 PM
There is no answer that's 100%, but I'll tell you why most signs point to Connecticut.
# 1 - they live 20 miles from the ocean, which puts them on a coast.
# 2 - Ward was born and raised in Mayfield and used to get poison ivy as a kid (an east coast plant vs poison oak, a west coast plant). They also say soda vs pop or coke.
# 3 - They can take the train to their Aunt Martha's, who was very proud of her east coast heritage.
# 4 - Through their own words they eliminate the following states: FL, NY, NJ, AZ, CA, OH.
# 5 - The rival town of Madison exists in CT and is a coastal town.
# 6 - The bottom of Ward's trash cans has CAFT. Not sure what that means, but only two states start with C and CA was eliminated.
# 7 - The cars need front license plates, which eliminates 19 states, five of which are 20 mi from the ocean (DE, NC, SC, GA, FL) and it was common enough to see a NJ plate when Beaver and Richard are looking for them.
# 8 - Ward & June take an overnight trip to Freeport and decide to leave at 4:00 to get there before dark. Freeport is in NY or ME, with NY's being only 2 hours from CT.
# 9 - They go to an NFL game in 1960 (Green Bay vs random opponent). They'd have to live close to an NFL stadium (CT was close to the Giants). If you followed the actual NFL schedule, though, Green Bay played Detroit the week that episode aired and thus, it makes no sense because of that whole 20 mi from the ocean thing.

Dude111
04-10-2014, 08:00 PM
Welcome ashore!!!!

All we have to do is figure out WHAT STATES HAVE A "MAYFIELD" and go from there!!

It would also be neat if Wally or Beaver registered and told us :)

Cincy Guy
04-11-2014, 09:55 AM
With regards to #9 on the reasons, the family could have attended a pre-season NFL game involving the Packers. For many years (both before and well after 1960), a large number of NFL pre-season games were held in cities that did not have an NFL franchise at that time and the game was played at a college or similar venue.

doors43
04-11-2014, 02:16 PM
Welcome ashore!!!!

All we have to do is figure out WHAT STATES HAVE A "MAYFIELD" and go from there!!

It would also be neat if Wally or Beaver registered and told us :)

Well, not really because they've said Mayfield is fictional. Jerry Mathers has said none of them knew.

CanICallYouDad
05-22-2014, 11:05 AM
Today Ward was putting screens in the windows. Not definitive but along with Crystal Falls ( I used to work there) and the W on the wall in the boys room I am sticking with it.

70s show watcher
05-22-2014, 06:05 PM
in 1 ep they talk about the camelback cutoff and their really is a camelback cutoff here in az so maybe they live there

Dennman
08-06-2014, 09:17 PM
I tend to think of Mayfield as being in Ohio or thereabouts. Though it's funny how an episode like Summer In Alaska could place it more in Oregon or Washington. Overall I side more with Ohio- mainly due to Larry's dad in Cincinnati- Eddie's bedroom- and there is a Mayfield in Ohio.

Dude111
08-07-2014, 01:55 AM
Yes I thought Ohio also!

Maybe if Beaver or Walley came ashore here they could tell us :)

Tonyran
08-18-2014, 01:53 PM
'Perfect Father" eps, Ward says he use to play Mulhlenberg in basketball, the only Mulhenberg I know is in Berks County PA (Allentown, PA).....So Connecticut, is a strong possibility or Maryland, is another possibility....

Dude111
08-19-2014, 06:10 AM
Welcome to the site buddy :)

Yesha
08-19-2014, 06:23 AM
Hmmmmmm they lived in Mayfield right? (I dont know what state)

I love Leave it to Beaver,good show!!..

Moboy1981
08-19-2014, 08:20 AM
Soooo the other day Beaver mentioned the "10 o'clock news". Since this is almost an exclusive Central Time Zone thing, I think that narrows it down to the Midwest. In today's early episode on MeTV, the name of the newspaper in town was the Courier-Sun. Cleveland has a newspaper Sun-Star-Courier. The only other Courier-Sun is in Bellingen, New South Wales, Australia. I think we can eliminate that town. So my vote goes to Cleveland.