View Full Version : Whatever became of Roy Stuart

teddybare
03-05-2003, 03:48 AM
Whatever became of Roy Stuart who played Corporal Boyle on Gomer Pyle USMC Haven't seen him on tv in a good 20 yrs Any info will be appreciated

bandito
03-05-2003, 10:48 PM
good question. i always liked copl boyle

reaness
03-07-2003, 12:16 AM
The last time I can remember Roy Stuart on TV. He did a V8 commerical in the late sixty to the early seventy. He would just finish drinking something them slap himself on the head and say
"I could have had a V8

Irene
Gomer and Lou-Ann Forever

teddybare
03-07-2003, 01:30 AM
Roy did some funny stuff in the early to mid 70's on Sanford and Son He was this very distinguished british singer Barton Farley in the Gong Show episode He was the one who sang Freds favorite song If I didnt care and made Fred so mad and He played a tv news reporter who interviewed Fred in the Mr Big episode where he was in the hospital and was under constant guard because he witnessed a crime that could send Mr. Big to prison

Sterling Holobyte
03-27-2003, 12:57 AM
I saw Roy on an episode of Mama's Family in the 80's. He played a funeral home director who sells Mama an expensive casket. His character was a far departure from Corporal Boyle, he was snooty and kinda creepy. He played it real well.

roni4319
01-15-2005, 11:42 AM
Yeah, Roy Stuart was good in Gomer Pyle. But he was better in Sanford and Son.

His classic on S & S when he messed up Fred's classic song, "If I didn't care!"

Veronica M. Cunningham
http://www.Number1Superfood-OPRAHshow.com
"'Success is helping others be successful who want it bad enough!"

teddybare
01-15-2005, 01:34 PM
Well Roy is still living not sure where. but he will turn 70 on July 15th of this year.Last acting job he did was a B-Grade thriller in 1993 called Eyes of the stranger.

Samme
01-16-2005, 06:41 AM
Roy was at the Hollywood Collectors Show a
couple years ago. I wasn't there but read
he was very friendly and had a great time.

Skywalker
02-06-2005, 12:28 AM
He was on an episode of the Golden Girls. He also appeared in 2 episodes of Scarecrow and Mrs. King.

firebird61
12-29-2005, 06:21 PM
Roy Stuart passed away on December 25, 2005 at the age of 70. :( :(

teddybare
12-29-2005, 09:26 PM
OMG NO Had he been ill? Thats so sad to pass away on Christmas Day I really liked his work he will be missed. I get the celebrity death beeper email and they havent even reported it yet

comedyfreak
01-01-2006, 10:39 PM
I wonder why he left the show? I know Slater was promoted to Cpl. and took over for Boyle.

teddybare
01-02-2006, 12:21 AM
Thats a good question

teddybare
01-02-2006, 01:05 AM
Well I found his official obituary on www.variety.com which gives more details on Roy Stuart who I found out after reading the obituary was gay. Could he have been fired and replaced on Gomer Pyle because he was gay. Here's his variety obituary

Actor and comedian Roy Stuart died of cancer Dec. 25 in Woodland Hills, Calif. He was 78.

Born in the Bronx, Stuart started his career in nightclubs and theater. He went on to play Corporal Boyle in "Gomer Pyle" opposite Jim Nabors. He also appeared in shows including "Golden Girls," "Hotel," "Santa Barbara" and "General Hospital" as well as in numerous commercials.

On Broadway, he appeared in "Café Crown" and "Curtain Going Down." He also co-starred opposite Chita Rivera and Edie Adams in "Can Can."

His latest stage credits were in Theater Forty productions of "Absurd Person Singular" and "Sunshine Boys." He collaborated on screenplays and musicals including "Elijah," "Who Kidnapped What's His Name?" and "Home Away from Home." Stuart was a member of Theater West, Theater Forty and the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.

He is survived by his companion, Claude Hubert.

seb545
04-21-2006, 03:07 PM
Hi guys,
Sorry for my poor English but I am French.
RIP Roy...I'll be missing you!
Thanks to have had a think for Roy.
I knew him. I went a few years ago in his house in L.A. beacause my mother knew Claude Hubert (french too...from the Loire Valley).
Roy was very nice and generous. I spent great moments close to him.
I remember...we met a pump assistant (or mechanic) who recognize him. At this moment he explained to me he did some sitcoms... I was happy to be recognized.
I am no more in touch with Claude Hubert but I send to him all my compassion.
Bye the artist...

Ben

EmpressDR
12-21-2006, 10:22 PM
Roy did a TV commercial that had Tomorrow Show host Tom Snyder convulsed: I think the product was Odor Eaters --some sort of shoe insert, that prevented foot odor. Roy was sitting in a chair, taking off his shoes, and his dog --who was holding Roy's slippers in his mouth --"fainted" at the odor. Close-Up of Roy looking at the camera. :eek4: :lol:

First seen in late 1973-1974, the ad lasted for a few years after.
Sad that he passed away :crying: :candle:
:rip:
:seeya:

teddybare
12-22-2006, 01:40 AM
Roy did a TV commercial that had Tomorrow Show host Tom Snyder convulsed: I think the product was Odor Eaters --some sort of shoe insert, that prevented foot odor. Roy was sitting in a chair, taking off his shoes, and his dog --who was holding Roy's slippers in his mouth --"fainted" at the odor. Close-Up of Roy looking at the camera. :eek4: :lol:

First seen in late 1973-1974, the ad lasted for a few years after.
Sad that he passed away :crying: :candle:
:rip:
:seeya:

When I read his complete obituary in variety I was saddened and shocked. I was saddened to read of his passing, but when i found out that he was gayI was shockedl He was survived by his life partner cause just by watching his acting over the yrs especially on Gomer Pyle USMC he acted tough and very straight well we thought Jim Nabors was straight too goes to show you cant judge a book by its cover

Lee G
12-26-2008, 11:47 AM
That's a shock to me also to find out Roy Stuart was gay. Watching him perform in Gomer Pyle, you would never know. It's the same thing with Robert Reed from Brady Bunch, he was gay too. I also wonder why Roy Stuart left Gomer Pyle, he had a good rapport with Frank Sutton and Roy was missed in the last season when they replaced him with Ronnie Schell as the corporal. Ronnie didn't really fit well in the role of the corporal, he acted the same like he was still one of the privates in the platoon.

EmpressDR
12-26-2008, 11:38 PM
A cheer for Roy Stuart. Was he brother to Barbara Stuart, Sgt. Carter's girlfriend, Bunny? :confused: :D

treky
12-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Roy Stuart was gay? Just goes to show you, "never judge a book by its cover". Robert Reed, Hayden Rourke, Raymond Burr, Dick Seargent, Richard Chamberlain, George Takei...the list goes on and on.

And I never knew that Jim Nabors is too!!!

Ohio8
12-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Roy did some funny stuff in the early to mid 70's on Sanford and Son He was this very distinguished british singer Barton Farley in the Gong Show episode He was the one who sang Freds favorite song If I didnt care and made Fred so mad and He played a tv news reporter who interviewed Fred in the Mr Big episode where he was in the hospital and was under constant guard because he witnessed a crime that could send Mr. Big to prison

Here's Roy in the "The Oddfather" episode of S&S.