PDA

View Full Version : Why did john amos leave good times?

knightrider24
12-16-2002, 04:35 PM
Why did john amos AKA "James" Leave the show? The show is'nt the same with out him. Was it a money dispute? Or was he tired of being on the show? Please let me know!! I sure miss James Evans!!!

Barnabas1
12-16-2002, 05:04 PM
Hi,

I keep getting the idea he was sick or something. Am I right?

dlemond
12-16-2002, 06:39 PM
No. I posted this on the same question thread right near here.

Here it is again:

Here is some info I found:

In the fall of 1976, John Amos left the series. "I did not quit the show but was in fact fired." the acclaimed stage and screen actor tells TVparty, "I was informed by phone that I was considered a disruptive factor and that my option would not be picked up for that season or any other episodes."

¤I Love Clay Aiken¤
12-17-2002, 01:35 AM
I thought it was because they didnt need him...???

Oh, maybe youre right Dlemond! Thats sounds familiar..

Jimbo
12-21-2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by dlemond
No. I posted this on the same question thread right near here.

Here it is again:

Here is some info I found:

In the fall of 1976, John Amos left the series. "I did not quit the show but was in fact fired." the acclaimed stage and screen actor tells TVparty, "I was informed by phone that I was considered a disruptive factor and that my option would not be picked up for that season or any other episodes."

I remember hearing this quote from John Amos as well. I also saw an interview with him in which he said the same thing (it may have been on the "E! True Hollywood Story").

John Amos maintains that the reason he was considered a "disruptive factor" by Norman Lear was because he objected to the negative sterotypes of African Americans that the show constantly presented. (Esther Rolle had voiced similar objections, and left the show for a period of time because of this).

Norman Lear has always been lauded for "examining our predjudices", "making us think", "advocating tolerance", etc. Like most Hollywood liberals, however, those things only applied to the rest of us - not to Norman Lear. When someone pointed out Lear's own hypocrisy, as John Amos did, he was quickly fired as a "disruptive factor". It was "Good Times" all right - for Norman Lear's bank account.

ThomasE
12-24-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo

Norman Lear has always been lauded for "examining our predjudices", "making us think", "advocating tolerance", etc. Like most Hollywood liberals, however, those things only applied to the rest of us - not to Norman Lear. When someone pointed out Lear's own hypocrisy, as John Amos did, he was quickly fired as a "disruptive factor". It was "Good Times" all right - for Norman Lear's bank account.

I like that last sentence. LOL.:lol:

LPC
01-03-2003, 09:26 PM
The irony (hypocrisy?) of the Zionist Norman Lear lecturing White Americans through his television shows about "prejudice" and "discrimination" was mindboggling.