PDA

View Full Version : Why did the guy who played Cody leave the show and how was Cody written out?

TVFactFan
11-29-2002, 07:54 PM
I followed Step by Step during my highschool years but did not have time to watch it when I started college. So I wanted to know does anyone know why the guy who played Cody left the show and how was the character Cody written out ofthe show?

Adamantium
11-30-2002, 01:06 AM
The actor, Sasha Mitchell, was in trouble for beating his wife. He was jailed and then fired from the show. It was mentioned that Cody was in Russia. And in the 2nd or 3rd to last episode, Cody made a guest appearance, and he had been on a road trip for two years. He also changed his name to Steve. In the episode, Cody/Steve ran into some money and gave Frank and Carol a huge check for letting him live in their driveway for five years.

TVFactFan
11-30-2002, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by TVAdam
The actor, Sasha Mitchell, was in trouble for beating his wife. He was jailed and then fired from the show. It was mentioned that Cody was in Russia. And in the 2nd or 3rd to last episode, Cody made a guest appearance, and he had been on a road trip for two years. He also changed his name to Steve. In the episode, Cody/Steve ran into some money and gave Frank and Carol a huge check for letting him live in their driveway for five years.

Thanks adam-shocking news.

cablejockey
11-30-2002, 09:54 AM
I forgot about that character, and I used to watch this show every Friday nite. I first saw Sasha on the last season of Dallas. He was playing a very serious role then. Did he just drop out of acting altogether?

TVFactFan
03-08-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by cablejockey
I forgot about that character, and I used to watch this show every Friday nite. I first saw Sasha on the last season of Dallas. He was playing a very serious role then. Did he just drop out of acting altogether?

bump

Cashodeen
03-16-2003, 09:07 PM
I forget... What does bump mean?

TVFactFan
03-16-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Cashodeen

I don't know-i saw someone bump a old post on another board. I think someone said its called bumping it up.LOL I really don't know.

Cashodeen
03-16-2003, 09:34 PM
Lol, all right. I remember now. Been a while since I've used it myself. Thanks.

C Doody
03-16-2003, 10:39 PM
Actually, I dont remember what it was i seen. But something in the last year i remember seeing one of those Where Are They Now shows, and The guy that played Cody said his wife basically became psycho from drugs and was about to hit their kids, he tried to stop her but she began hitting and kicking him, so he pushed her down. I Seen this sometime last summer so im a bit low on details, but im pretty sure thats what was said.

trekkie
03-29-2003, 05:46 PM
Cody is great (Except in the early episodes, where he is just too damned annoying LOL), but Jean-Luc repevoo is awesome! He is so much funnier than Cody ever was.

That guy (Who is also awesome on PERFECT STRANGERS) is such a great comedic actor

Furienna
10-26-2006, 11:45 PM
I thought Cody got a job and had to move. Frank talked to Cody about his new job on the phone.

Edster2973
10-29-2006, 07:43 PM

BUMP is an abbreviation for: Bring Up My Post. It also literally means to "bump" up a post that may have been neglected since it was hidden away on another page. Sometimes thought provoking posts get lost amidst the crap that gets posted so people take the liberty to "bump" it up to the top.

Ed

Ireneparalegal
10-29-2006, 07:51 PM
Sasha Mitchell also played J.R. Ewing's illegitimate son on one of my fave shows of all time, DALLAS.

As for the domestic charge, it was later learned that it was his WIFE WHO HIT HIM. He wanted to "save her" from arrest and embarrasment and took the blame for the abuse.

After the scandal of domestic violence charges being filed by Mitchell's wife, the Disney company decided to write him out of the series, and he was only asked back for one episode on the last season of Step by Step.

It was Sasha's attempts at protecting his children from their mother, whom he accused of being a drug user. He was able to obtain full custody of their four children, and their mother only receives limited, supervised visitation.

When Sasha was arrested and jailed, it was here in Ventura County (where I live) that he was jailed and appeared in court. The media was on him here like bees on honey. The courthouse had to add extra deputies because of all the hoopla, the media and people who wanted to see what was going on.

Edster2973
10-30-2006, 08:03 AM
Wow, my admiration for Sasha has doubled. What a truly stand-up guy! Not many would go to the lengths he went to to protect their kids. Others would've spoken out about how abusive the mother was. Some men are better fathers than women are mothers unfortunately.

I just hope Miller & Boyett feel mighty stupid for firing him after the truth came out. Their track record is pretty poor. They also did the same thing to Valerie, although the circumstances were different. She wanted more money and input into the scripts for her show, the then-titled Valerie (later titled Valerie's Family/The Hogan Family) and they gave it to her, only to fire her one week later, claiming it was her "demands" that got her fired in the first place. For a company that produces such syrupy "family" sitcoms, their way of handling their employees leaves a LOT to be desired.

At least both Sasha and Valerie were vindicated later. You go guys!

Ed

Karen*
11-08-2006, 01:49 AM
Sasha Mitchell also played J.R. Ewing's illegitimate son on one of my fave shows of all time, DALLAS.

As for the domestic charge, it was later learned that it was his WIFE WHO HIT HIM. He wanted to "save her" from arrest and embarrasment and took the blame for the abuse.

After the scandal of domestic violence charges being filed by Mitchell's wife, the Disney company decided to write him out of the series, and he was only asked back for one episode on the last season of Step by Step.

It was Sasha's attempts at protecting his children from their mother, whom he accused of being a drug user. He was able to obtain full custody of their four children, and their mother only receives limited, supervised visitation.

When Sasha was arrested and jailed, it was here in Ventura County (where I live) that he was jailed and appeared in court. The media was on him here like bees on honey. The courthouse had to add extra deputies because of all the hoopla, the media and people who wanted to see what was going on.

:eek: Wow, I knew about the domestic violence charges, but I didn't know his wife was the one who hit him. Do you have a source to go along with that? If it's true, then what a great and admirable thing for him to do. Too bad it cost him his role on Step by Step. :crying:

Scoobiedoo30
11-08-2006, 10:25 AM
I forgot that Cody got in Touble I dont know if yall know this but Sasha Mitchell was on The Show Dallas with Patrick Duffy.

Ireneparalegal
11-08-2006, 11:50 AM
I posted that information abt DALLAS on my post.

Scoobiedoo30
11-08-2006, 12:10 PM
How many season was The Guy who played Cody on Dallas

Chain Gang Member
02-10-2007, 02:44 PM
Cody is great (Except in the early episodes, where he is just too damned annoying LOL), but Jean-Luc repevoo is awesome! He is so much funnier than Cody ever was.
Yeah right.Cody was the best!The show sucked so bad with plots on the characters after he left that they had Rich and Dana get together even though it seemed un-natural!

Furienna
02-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Actually, Dana and Rich didn't seem so unnatural to me. It was a pity about Sasha though. He was sure the funniest on the show. That French guy couldn't hold a candle to him.

Scoobiedoo30
02-12-2007, 09:39 PM
yes Sasha was a funnie guy

JAHokie46
02-13-2007, 03:24 PM
From what I remember the incident w/ Sasha wasn't that big of a deal. They asked him to leave the show because of it, but I remember it being dropped later because it either wasn't true or was a lie or something like that. Anyway, I think him being off the show helped the development of the kids and stories about them, which IMO is when the show got better- the last 3-4 seasons.

Furienna
02-13-2007, 07:13 PM
Actually, I think the kids got broing as they got older. They lost their charm and their personalities. And Cody was always the funny character.

JAHokie46
02-13-2007, 08:07 PM
Actually, I think the kids got broing as they got older. They lost their charm and their personalities. And Cody was always the funny character.

That's interesting.... I felt the opposite. I thought once they got a little older, the show became a little more about the kids than the parents. When that happened, they developed Mark more, gave him friends, girls, and episodes mostly about him. They continued the JT/Dana name-calling and stepped it up a notch. Karen remained mostly the throughout the entire show. But we saw Al grow from a tomboy and struggle to figure herself out. Dana and JT went from high school and found their way through college and serious relationships, and we saw the addition of Rich... an excellent character and great move IMO.

I just think the kids in high schoo/college age were much more entertaining and provided better storylines and a funnier show.

I do have to say though, I prefer that in most shows. I liked the last two season of Saved By the Bell and College Years the best, the last year or two of Boy Meets World and then their college years, Full House's last 3 seasons or so with both DJ and Stephanie in high school, and Family Matters with Laura, Eddie, and Urkel older.

littlebelle
02-14-2007, 12:09 AM
step by step was by far one of my favorite shows, but i cannot stand to watch the later seasons, you know, with Lilly and Jean Luc, Rich and especially no Cody. Also Rich marrying Dana? WTF?! Seriously it just turned into one of those boring 90's sitcoms on cbs that nobody watches... yet i never miss an episode in between the 1-5th seasons.

-- btw, how was brendan written off?

canuckkidd
02-14-2007, 12:05 PM
-- btw, how was brendan written off?

I posted a thread a few months ago about this, somebody responded that there was no storyline about him being written off. I guess we have to use our imagination. Anyway, the more I watch reruns of the later seasons, the more I realize he was useless. Most of the time he is just hanging around Mark and has just one or two lines for the whole show.

Chain Gang Member
02-23-2007, 10:25 AM
Just like that little girl from Family Matters,he just was gone from the show like he was never there

Edster2973
02-23-2007, 11:36 AM
The show basically suffered from having a cast that was WAY TOO BIG. Even Carole's sister and mother (or was it her aunt?) were written off due to room. Once a show has been on for a while and the writing team figures out which characters work best as the focus (or "core characters"), then the others are left to be supporting characters, provided that they still have a function. With the youngest brother, however, he didn't even have that. He was just there. Once the show became older and it started to level off in the ratings, ABC started to pull its budget from the show, all the while the primary stars were making more money the longer they were on the show.

This happens quite often. When it does, a show will cut corners whenever and wherever it can. With Step By Step, the younger brother was the easiest one to cut with hardly anyone noticing except the continuity-conscious. Let's face it. His absence didn't hinder the program because his presence barely had an effect to begin with. And I don't think that's a reflection on the character or the actor himself. Again, I just think there were simply too many characters that had to be focused on and once it was figured out that J.T., Dana, Al, Mark, Cody, and Karen were the gold of the show, there was no need for Brendan.

Perhaps if the show had been an hour long or a soap opera, Brendan could've been developed into something substantial, but that wasn't the case. As badly as I feel for the actor Josh Byrne playing him, I didn't miss his character at all. Any possible niche he could've filled was later occupied by the funnier Rich Halke played by Jason Marsden.

In all honesty, had the show lasted longer, I think the same would've eventually happened to Lilly once her appeal as the new baby/kid wore off. There's only so much time and space to devote within a 30 minute comedy, and once the audience has its favorites picked out (i.e., Cody, J.T., Dana, Al, etc.), who'd want to tune in and see part of an episode devoted to just little kids being cute? This was Step By Step, not Full House.

Hope this sheds some light on the issue...

Ed

LincolnHeightsfan
03-01-2007, 07:34 AM
Cody was cool as heck. The first 5 seasons were the best as far as I'm concerned. The show actually DID end after the 5th Season (1995-1996) But returned several months later in April of 1997 with Jean Luc as Cody's replacement, Rich Halke who had been a recurring charachter the previous season was now a regular, and in the second episode of the 6th Season him and Dana started dating. Also Lilly had aged about 5 or 6 years in just one season. The show just wasn't the same. It's too bad Sasha couldn't have stayed, or at least appeared in occasional episodes. But it was good to see him make a comeback in the 2nd to last episode, but I feel as though he should have been in the finale as well. Oh well

hughpuppies
03-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Cody was cool as heck. The first 5 seasons were the best as far as I'm concerned. The show actually DID end after the 5th Season (1995-1996) But returned several months later in April of 1997 with Jean Luc as Cody's replacement, Rich Halke who had been a recurring charachter the previous season was now a regular, and in the second episode of the 6th Season him and Dana started dating. Also Lilly had aged about 5 or 6 years in just one season. The show just wasn't the same. It's too bad Sasha couldn't have stayed, or at least appeared in occasional episodes. But it was good to see him make a comeback in the 2nd to last episode, but I feel as though he should have been in the finale as well. Oh well

The one person I couldn't stand was that Flash guy Carol got to help Frank out at his construction site. He was way to annoying and looked as if he constantly drank coffee and never stopped.

Cody was better than Flash and Jean Luc(spelling).

Also think this maybe already mentioned, but Rich played a different character that dated Al one time.

peta303
03-28-2007, 04:19 PM
It was Rich, who did date Al once in the 5th season. But Jason Marsden appeared in the 3rd season as "Doug"(?) - the guy that came with JT to solve his literature problems with Mark's essays.

Jack1000
11-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Why did Cody change his name to Steve?

Jack

Furienna
11-20-2007, 04:49 PM
He did? :confused:

fullhousefan91619
11-20-2007, 06:23 PM
In his last appearance, he said a wise old guy changed his name for him, but nobody even called him that after he mentioned it in the cold open.

Stuck In The '70's
11-20-2007, 06:32 PM

You know I remember when he got fired and about him being accused of domestic violence. I didn't know he was innocent until I actually read it on SO. I don't remember any coverage of that. Maybe it was there and I missed it or maybe it was put on the back pages of the paper. Sasha was a great comedic actor,. He really made Step by Step a joy to watch. It's funny because I never really cared for him on Dallas. I thought he was too stiff. lol

Furienna
11-20-2007, 06:42 PM
In his last appearance, he said a wise old guy changed his name for him, but nobody even called him that after he mentioned it in the cold open.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah... That might be it. I've only seen that episode once, so I forgot.