View Full Version : Cartoon Network Celebrates Christmas in Style

Brett Ferino
11-28-2002, 03:55 PM
Cartoon Network has decked its December schedule with a bevy of holiday delights.

- A week dedicated to the beloved classic Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas
- Two animated specials making their Cartoon Network debut
- Johnny Bravo's hilarious Christmas special with guest star Donny Osmond
- Bill Plympton's skewed take on holiday cheer
- Holiday feature films and a holiday programming marathon featuring Yogi Bear, The Flintstones, The Smurfs, and The Jetsons

The rundown:
GRINCH WEEK
Monday, December 2 - Thursday, December 5 at 8 pm ET/PT
That conniving Grinch has stolen four consecutive nights of airtime on Cartoon Network to play his timeless holiday special Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas at 8 pm ET/PT, Monday-Thursday, December 2-5. Dr. Seuss' classic fable portrays the mean old Grinch and his efforts to muzzle the holiday spirits of the happy-go-lucky citizens of Whoville.

OLIVE, THE OTHER REINDEER
Wednesday, December 11 at 8 pm ET/PT
Drew Barrymore stars as the voice of Olive, the other reindeer, in this Emmy-nominated animated holiday special which makes its Cartoon Network debut on Wednesday, December 11, at 8 pm ET/PT. Joining her in the cast are Dan Castellaneta, Peter MacNicol, Joey Pantoliano, Jay Mohr, Ed Asner, Tim Meadows, and Michael Stipe from R.E.M. Animation. This special is based on the illustrations of J. Otto Siebold, who co-authored the book Olive, the Other Reindeer with Vivian Walsh.

GRANDMA GOT RUN OVER BY A REINDEER
Monday, December 9 at 8 pm ET/PT
Expanding on the holiday story of Grandma from the song of the same name, Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer airs for the first time on Cartoon Network on Monday, December 9, at 8:00 pm. Grandma and her little general store are in danger of being bought out by developers in the town of Cityville. While Grandma tries to save her store, her grandson Jake attempts to save his belief in Santa Claus and the Christmas spirit.

A JOHNNY BRAVO CHRISTMAS
Monday, December 2 at 8:30 pm ET/PT
Cartoon Network presents an animated Christmas special starring Johnny Bravo, the pompadoured ladies' man and all-around mama's boy, on Monday, December 2, at 8:30 pm ET/PT. In A Johnny Bravo Christmas, the pumped-up prima donna forgets to mail his letter to Santa Claus, so he goes on a wacky adventure to deliver it to the North Pole in time. Along the way to Santa's lair, Johnny seeks help from Donny Osmond in making (his own) spirits bright.

12 TINY CHRISTMAS TALES
Tuesday, December 3 at 8:30 pm ET/PT
Acclaimed animator Bill Plympton puts his unconventional spin on the holiday season with his half-hour Christmas special created exclusively for Cartoon Network. Airing on Tuesday, December 3, at 8:30 pm ET/PT. 12 Tiny Christmas Tales begins with three precocious children pestering their grandmother for holiday stories. As the evening wears on, the tales grow weirder and weirder.

12-HOUR CHRISTMAS PARTY
Saturday, December 14, 10 am - 10 pm ET/PT)
The holidays can be busy, so Cartoon Network gets the festivities started early with the 12-Hour Christmas Party on Saturday, December 14, from 10 am - 10 pm ET/PT. During the all-day cheer-fest, Cartoon Network will feature tales about the true meaning of Christmas with a full slate of holiday features starring animated icons like Scooby-Doo, The Flintstones, Yogi Bear and The Jetsons.
(Show and episode information will be available soon)

24-HOUR CHRISTMAS PARTY
Tuesday, December 24, 12 noon - Wednesday, December 25, 12 noon ET/PT
Mistletoe, eggnog, caroling - these holiday traditions are joined once again by Cartoon Network's 24-Hour Christmas Party, which wraps a full day's worth of animated holiday fare into a beautiful package and delivers it early, starting on Christmas Eve, Tuesday, December 24 at 12 noon. Hidden under the tree this year will be holiday feature films, classic Christmas shorts from animation's golden age, and special shows starring cartoon luminaries including Pac-Man and Space Ghost.
(Show and episode information will be available soon)

CARTOON NETWORK CHRISTMAS SPECIALS
Monday - Thursday, December 2-19, beginning at 8 pm ET/PT each night
Like Santa filling his bag, Cartoon Network crams its lineup full of holiday specials, presenting animated Christmas treats every Monday through Thursday evening from 8-9 pm. The mean old Grinch rears his head, as does Yogi, celebrating his first Christmas. Also part of the holiday smorgasbord is a special holiday edition of Cartoon Network's acclaimed ToonHeads, and a Flinstones special that celebrates the season in a way that only the Bedrock bowlers can. Yule Toons, airing December 9, December 11 and December 12, at 9:30 pm each night, is a compilation of holiday cartoons starring all-time greats like Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny and Popeye, as well as holiday editions of Cartoon Cartoon favorites including Ed, Edd n Eddy, Johnny Bravo and Dexter's Laboratory.

Monday, December 2
8 pm Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas
8:30 pm A Johnny Bravo Christmas

Tuesday, December 3
8:30 pm 12 Tiny Christmas Tales

Wednesday, December 4
8:30 pm Nutcracker Scoob

Thursday, December 5
8:30 pm Hamtaro: "Merry Christmas"

Monday, December 9
8 pm Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer
9:30 pm Yule Toons

Tuesday, December 10
8 pm The Flintstones Christmas Carol

Wednesday, December 11
8 pm Olive, the Other Reindeer

Thursday, December 12
8 pm The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus

Monday, December 16
8:30 pm A Jetson Christmas Carol

Tuesday, December 17
8 pm ToonHeads Christmas Special

Wednesday, December 18
8 pm The Town that Santa Forgot
8:30 pm The Flintstones: "Christmas Flintstone"

Thursday, December 19
8 pm The Smurfs Christmas Special
8:30 pm 'Tis the Season to be Smurfy

[Source: Turner Press Release]

NOTE: Originally posted by my good buddy PB!

jayman75
11-30-2002, 10:11 PM
I need a calendar version of the TV schedule for the coming month. I tried to get the holiday guide from www.tvguide.com but it locks up when I click a different date. I don't understand it.

Central Perk
12-14-2002, 05:16 PM
I'm so glad CN is airing all these cartoon specials. I think 'Tis The Season To Be Smurfy and The Pacman Christmas Special are great.

JethroSimpson
12-15-2002, 07:19 PM
Much better line up than CN here, I don't think they are barely airing any Christmas episodes or shows.

bb25
12-17-2002, 12:53 AM
I love the Smurfs specials!! Hopefully I'll be able to tape them Thrusday night, or at least watch them...when is the Pacman special on?