PDA

View Full Version : the private life of Sherman Hemsley


sally mander
10-31-2002, 04:49 PM
A friend of mine went to the Lucy-Desi days in Jamestown, NY awhile back. For their grand marshall they had Isabel Sanford ( who did I believe Body Language the game show with Lucy).

Anyway she had a chance for a few moments to talk to Isabel, she asked how her tv husband ( Sherman ) is doing now-a-days and she claims that he and his "boyfriend" are doing just fine.

Now was she joking about this or was she serious about this , no one really knows. But has anybody else heard the story about Hemsley gay?

I remember one of those tabolids ( Globe I believe ) had a picture of Hemsley with a white male named "Andre" I believe, on its cover talking about the "money troubles" Mr. Jefferson and his male companion are having. I remember reading this standing in line at a King Soopers Supermarket here a few years back, ever since then though , little has been said about his private life.

If Sherman Hemsley is gay, he would be a great role model to other gay/lesbians. Sending a message that its Ok to be gay without making a fuss about it. Like Raymond Burr for example. A&E's Biography said he was gay , he even left his estate to his male lover for 20+ years but Burr never held a press confrence to discuss his lifestyle. I believe same with Richard Simmons, if he is gay. I dont recall him ever going out in public talking about it.

Unlike Rosie O'Donnell and Ellen who both made their sexual pref. well known and Anne Heche who threw herself to the press when she got married and still goes on tv saying how great it is to be a lesbian. They ( in my opinion ) give gay people a bad name.

Moderne29
11-14-2004, 04:34 PM
Yes, Hemsley is gay. Not at all out of the closet though.

jamesanthony
11-14-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Moderne29
Yes, Hemsley is gay. Not at all out of the closet though.

Is there a source for him being gay? If he is gay he is a very convincing actor because I would have never thought so. I know that like Carroll O'Connor he was a liberal who got tired of playing a racist type character.

Moderne29
11-14-2004, 05:54 PM
I've heard it ever since the show was in it's prime. It's pretty common kmowledge in the entertainemnt industry, and rags like The Globe and Star have printed articles about it. He has never made any public statment about it though.

jamesanthony
11-14-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Moderne29
I've heard it ever since the show was in it's prime. It's pretty common kmowledge in the entertainemnt industry, and rags like The Globe and Star have printed articles about it. He has never made any public statment about it though.

I'm starting to think that the entertainment industry has a much higher percentage of gay and lesbian people than the rest of society. Sherman Hemsley, Robert Reed, Dick Sargent, the guy who played Mel on Dick Van Dyke and a whole host of others who played heterosexual characters. Supposedly Reginald Veljohnson from Family Matters is also gay. I don't know. Was Isabel Sanford or any of the other Jefferson actors gay as well?

Moderne29
11-14-2004, 06:04 PM
I've heard Veljohnson is gay. I've never watched the show though. No one else to my knowledge was gay on The Jeffersons.

TVFactFan
11-14-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Moderne29
Yes, Hemsley is gay. Not at all out of the closet though.



Do you have proof that he is? The source he admitted in? I don't believe it.

TVFactFan
11-14-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Moderne29
I've heard Veljohnson is gay. I've never watched the show though. No one else to my knowledge was gay on The Jeffersons.


I can't go by "I HEARD HE WAS GAY" If he didn't say it then it's false

Skywalker
11-14-2004, 09:46 PM
I don't believe what I'm hearing. Wheres the proof? You people are saying that Sherman's gay, and Veljohnson is gay. What's next, are you gonna say that Wilt "the Stilt" Chamerlain was gay too?

:rolleyes:

Pitooey
11-14-2004, 09:53 PM
I'm shocked myself over this. If he is I really had no idea. And if he is.......... I will never look at HOLLYWOOD the same again.

It just seems that almost everyone in Hollywood is gay.

TVFactFan
11-14-2004, 09:56 PM
A female probably started the rumor because he has no kids and not married. Maybe he wasn't into the Family Lifestyle.

jamesanthony
11-14-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Pitooey
I'm shocked myself over this. If he is I really had no idea. And if he is.......... I will never look at HOLLYWOOD the same again.

It just seems that almost everyone in Hollywood is gay.

Hollywood in general has a different code of morality than the rest of society. Being homosexual or lesbian, experimenting, multiple partners, wife swapping, open marriages, all of these lifestyles are common in show business to the point that the people in show biz who think any of these behaviors are not right are basically pressured to stay "in the closet" for fear of their jobs. All of the above sexualities are depicted an awful lot in tv and films and I find it very hard to believe that as many people are living this way and have those types of feelings as are depicted in the movies and tv. I think that more people have relatively conservative monogomous relationships with the opposite sex, but that is considered to be boring by the entertainment media and a lot of them can't relate to that, which is why it isn't shown in popular entertainment as much anymore. There are even some people with low sex drives who live celibate, when was the last time you say a character like that in a sitcom?

Sherman Hemsley may have a boyfriend; who knows? I've never heard anything about this until today. It does seem rather inappropriate and odd that Isabel Sanford would "out" him just like that to a total stranger on a tour.

If he does have a boyfriend I don't see the need for him to broadcast it so that someone whom he doesn't even know can feel validated. If that person is in some small town where he or she is being persecuted for being different sexually I just don't see how some Hollywood celeb's coming out is going to make whatever intolerant hooligans are troubling him suddenly get off his back.

Moderne29
11-14-2004, 11:26 PM
Like I said, I heard Veljohnson was gay. I don't know for sure, nor do I care. I'm simply stating fact. I DO know that Sherman is indeed gay, whether that suites all people or not is irrelevant.

No judging is being made here (by me anyway). Simply stating on a freindly level, "Who is and Who isn't".


:)

Lady T
11-14-2004, 11:54 PM
Sherman came out on national television that he was gay, and who cares if he is; he should be noted for being a talented actor and not for his sexual preferences. I also believe that the fact that Hemsley is gay has been old news around Hollywood since he first landed the role of George Jefferson almost 30 years ago.

TVFactFan
11-14-2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Undercover Angel
Sherman came out on national television that he was gay, and who cares if he is; he should be noted for being a talented actor and not for his sexual preferences. I also believe that the fact that Hemsley is gay has been old news around Hollywood since he first landed the role of George Jefferson almost 30 years ago.


What network? What yeAr?

Lady T
11-15-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by TVShow Analyzer
What network? What yeAr? Solomon, it has been a fact that he is gay, and that he is not a shamed to admit that he is a homosexual; the information I saw that he declared that he was gay was on Entertainment Tonight on their Whatever Happen To a few years ago...

TVFactFan
11-15-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Undercover Angel
Solomon, it has been a fact that he is gay, and that he is not a shamed to admit that he is a homosexual; the information I saw that he declared that he was gay was on Entertainment Tonight on their Whatever Happen To a few years ago...



I just always heard people saying he was gay and I never was able to confirm it. I came very close to finding out if he was gay when he was on the Joan Rivers Show and she asked him was he married and all he said was No. Nothing else. So i need confirmation to make sure it's not a rumor started by female because he is not married.

Lady T
11-15-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by TVShow Analyzer
I just always heard people saying he was gay and I never was able to confirm it. I came very close to finding out if he was gay when he was on the Joan Rivers Show and she asked him was he married and all he said was No. Nothing else. So i need confirmation to make sure it's not a rumor started by female because he is not married. I am not 100% sure if Sherman is gay or not, but I was told that he came out of the closet on ET a few years back. I highly recommend if you want to know if he is gay or not, is find out information through the internet, but then again that is not going to 100% accurate..I was devastated when I read that Ron Glass of Barney Miller was gay, literally heartbroken, but still there is still no 100% proof that he is, and I believe that he is now married to a woman....

But besides that I have an old saying

It is a fact of life that there are going to be people that love women, men, both or the same sex as they. The End.

jamesanthony
11-15-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Undercover Angel
I am not 100% sure if Sherman is gay or not, but I was told that he came out of the closet on ET a few years back. I highly recommend if you want to know if he is gay or not, is find out information through the internet, but then again that is not going to 100% accurate..I was devastated when I read that Ron Glass of Barney Miller was gay, literally heartbroken, but still there is still no 100% proof that he is, and I believe that he is now married to a woman....

But besides that I have an old saying

It is a fact of life that there are going to be people that love women, men, both or the same sex as they. The End.

I never heard anything about Sherman Hemsley until reading this thread yesterday, Hemsley always appeared masculine to me (I know that masculine mannerisms don't necessarily mean that a male is heterosexual). Ron Glass always struck me as being effeminate though, so I would not be at all surprised if he announced he had male lovers.

But who knows if any of these show biz people are gay, heterosexual, omnisexual or whatever? Tony Randall always struck me as being gay, but supposedly he wasn't, so who really knows?

Lady T
11-15-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by jamesanthony
I never heard anything about Sherman Hemsley until reading this thread yesterday, Hemsley always appeared masculine to me (I know that masculine mannerisms don't necessarily mean that a male is heterosexual). Ron Glass always struck me as being effeminate though, so I would not be at all surprised if he announced he had male lovers.

But who knows if any of these show biz people are gay, heterosexual, omnisexual or whatever? Tony Randall always struck me as being gay, but supposedly he wasn't, so who really knows? Hemsley appeared to me masculine to me as well, and I am sure there were plenty of people who thought the same thing about Rock Hudson before he revealed that he was attracted to the same gender; as for Glass, he always came on to women, so I am assuming that he is bisexual, and I heard from a friend of mine that he made a statement that he was in an old article for Jet magazine back in the early 90s, but the bottomline, I admire both of these actors for the laughs that they gave me when they appeared on their shows, and I am indifferent what goes on in their private lives, and that goes for anyone I admire and respect:)

Jefffalan
11-15-2004, 08:29 PM
Well said!

Lady T
11-15-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Jefffalan
Well said! Thank You:blush:

Pitooey
11-16-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by jamesanthony
Hollywood in general has a different code of morality than the rest of society. Being homosexual or lesbian, experimenting, multiple partners, wife swapping, open marriages, all of these lifestyles are common in show business to the point that the people in show biz who think any of these behaviors are not right are basically pressured to stay "in the closet" for fear of their jobs. All of the above sexualities are depicted an awful lot in tv and films and I find it very hard to believe that as many people are living this way and have those types of feelings as are depicted in the movies and tv. I think that more people have relatively conservative monogomous relationships with the opposite sex, but that is considered to be boring by the
entertainment media and a lot of them can't relate to that, which is why it isn't shown in popular entertainment as much anymore. There are even some people with low sex drives who live celibate, when was the last time you say a character like that in a sitcom?

Sherman Hemsley may have a boyfriend; who knows? I've never heard anything about this until today. It does seem rather inappropriate and odd that Isabel Sanford would "out" him just like that to a total stranger on a tour.

If he does have a boyfriend I don't see the need for him to broadcast it so that someone whom he doesn't even know can feel validated. If that person is in some small town where he or she is being persecuted for being different sexually I just don't see how some Hollywood celeb's coming out is going to make whatever intolerant hooligans are troubling him suddenly get off his back. James you are wise beyond your years. I give you kudos.

As for Ron Glass and Tony Randall..... I saw Ron Glass in Manhattan one day (in the 70's or 80's) and he looked at me like a man looks at a woman when they're interested. I also thought he was effiminate and I still do. If he is gay he wouldn't surprise me.

Now Tony Randall shocked me........ (When he had those babies with his wife). Here I thought he wasn't into any woman. Then I hear of stories about Tom Cruise......... I really like him but if he's gay I won't be surprised because I've been hearing that he is gay for years now.

Moderne29
11-16-2004, 10:26 AM
Remember, Randall was married forever to a woman named Florence. After she died he married that young girl and had kids. The stories of Randall being gay have been around for years, though never confirmed.

Lady T
11-16-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Pitooey
James you are wise beyond your years. I give you kudos.

As for Ron Glass and Tony Randall..... I saw Ron Glass in Manhattan one day (in the 70's or 80's) and he looked at me like a man looks at a woman when they're interested. I also thought he was effiminate and I still do. If he is gay he wouldn't surprise me.

Now Tony Randall shocked me........ (When he had those babies with his wife). Here I thought he wasn't into any woman. Then I hear of stories about Tom Cruise......... I really like him but if he's gay I won't be surprised because I've been hearing that he is gay for years now. I do not think that Tom Cruise is gay, rumors are rumors, as for Ron Glass, I am jealous that he flirted with you back in the 1970s and 1980s;) and I was told that Ron Glass told Jet Magazine that he is bisexual, which I can totally see, because there was a rumor that he was having a long term relationship with a famous soap star, but I also have seen him with women...but the bottomline is WHO CARES! since Ron Glass is talented actor and I have been told a very very nice person in real life.

dlsfromdabricks
03-03-2008, 08:42 PM
people really don't have nothing to do but get into other peoples business man if sherman hemsley is gay that's his business people just cause a man is'nt married and don't have any kids doesn't make him gay he may just not be happy being married and don't want any kids he just maybe sleeping with more than one women, people there are some men out there that just wanna be with more then one woman

megamanj2004
03-04-2008, 02:28 AM
This is the most inane thread I've ever seen!

Just b/c Sherman Hemsley isn't married doesn't mean he's gay.

Maybe he wants to keep his love life private, which also holds true to some other Hollywood actors/actresses.

I even checked IMDB and there's nothing gay about Reginald VelJohnson on that site or even Wikipedia of all sites. I researched both of those sites and it says nothing gay about Sherman Hemsley. Same also goes for Ron Glass.

Maybe they want their personal lives kept in closed doors.

And I won't believe that those names are homosexuals are true until I see some real HARD facts or unless I actually hear it from the horses mouths' themselves.

TVFactFan
03-04-2008, 11:31 AM
This is the most inane thread I've ever seen!

Just b/c Sherman Hemsley isn't married doesn't mean he's gay.

Maybe he wants to keep his love life private, which also holds true to some other Hollywood actors/actresses.

I even checked IMDB and there's nothing gay about Reginald VelJohnson on that site or even Wikipedia of all sites. I researched both of those sites and it says nothing gay about Sherman Hemsley. Same also goes for Ron Glass.

Maybe they want their personal lives kept in closed doors.

And I won't believe that those names are homosexuals are true until I see some real HARD facts or unless I actually hear it from the horses mouths' themselves.


And I read several magazines about Sherman from the 70's and 80's and never came across anything that had him saying he was gay. Just a rumor started by a WOMAN because you know a MAN doesn't care if another man is not married

BarneyFife
03-07-2008, 11:49 PM
Anybody heard about Micheal Evans of Good Times beeing Gay. I think his real life name is Ralph Carter.

megamanj2004
03-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Anybody heard about Micheal Evans of Good Times beeing Gay. I think his real life name is Ralph Carter.

Yep, Ralph Carter is trhe guy that palyed Michael Evans of Good Times.

Ireneparalegal
03-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Does it REALLY matter if Sherman is gay? It doesn't change anything, unless you are a hater of gays.

So what if the man is gay. No one doubted that he may be straight, so why make a fuss if he is gay? :rolleyes:

TVFactFan
03-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Does it REALLY matter if Sherman is gay? It doesn't change anything, unless you are a hater of gays.

So what if the man is gay. No one doubted that he may be straight, so why make a fuss if he is gay? :rolleyes:


Won't change How I feel about the man at all

MikeL
03-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Won't change How I feel about the man at all


i alwyas liked him one of my all time favorite actors no matter what

bronxgirl
03-12-2008, 04:31 PM
While I am not of the opinion that every male or female that's pass 35 yo who has never had a spouse and no kids are gay or a lesbian, why is it so hard to believe he's gay? It takes nothing away from him as an actor or a person. IMO it makes him a great actor, look at David Hyde Pierce, Dan Butler (who played a womanizing sexist "Bulldog") on Fraiser are both gay. Still great actors and I still watch the show in syndication. Given the choice I'd watch the "Jefferson's" over both "Good Times" & "The Cosby Show". Helsmley is from a time where he had to keep things like that hidden which may explain why he is so low key I wouldn't expect him at a Gay Pride rally. Remember Elton John was married to a woman and he has a biological son so what is that saying?

TVFactFan
03-12-2008, 05:30 PM
the closet thing i read that hinted that he maybe gay was him stating in a 82 or 83 tv guide that-

"i don't have a wife and i'm not looking for one either"


Still that can just mean

"i prefer to just work and have consistent stress relief activities and not be tied down"-LOL

Ireneparalegal
03-12-2008, 08:31 PM
While I am not of the opinion that every male or female that's pass 35 yo who has never had a spouse and no kids are gay or a lesbian, why is it so hard to believe he's gay? It takes nothing away from him as an actor or a person. IMO it makes him a great actor, look at David Hyde Pierce, Dan Butler (who played a womanizing sexist "Bulldog") on Fraiser are both gay. Still great actors and I still watch the show in syndication. Given the choice I'd watch the "Jefferson's" over both "Good Times" & "The Cosby Show". Helsmley is from a time where he had to keep things like that hidden which may explain why he is so low key I wouldn't expect him at a Gay Pride rally. Remember Elton John was married to a woman and he has a biological son so what is that saying?
Elton John did marry a woman, but they had no children. Elton has no children with anyone. He has 10 godchildren, but he has no children of his own.

jamesanthony
03-12-2008, 09:50 PM
I like the show- he acted in it well and it holds up very well in reruns. But seriously, why do we spend so much time talking about the private lives of these celebrities? They are people like anyone else- I think we 'heroize" these people too much.

GSU2004
03-13-2008, 03:08 AM
I've heard these theories and rumors before. Really don't care if they are true or not as his private life is that--PRIVATE. I commend him for keeping his personal business out of the media unlike other notable people.

waichingliu81
06-08-2008, 08:14 AM
why do people neccessarily assume that just because a man isn't married to a woman or a woman married to a man, this automatically makes them gay/lesbian? i for one am single, but i am not sexually attracted to women myself. not that it is anything that i ought to be proud of, anyway. how does their sexuality have any bearing on us people on a personal level? it doesn't.

sherman is a talented actor, and he is terrific as george jefferson and frankly who he goes out with and sleeps with is his choice and and his business, and if people have a problem with that, then they ought to get a life and stop being judgemental. end of

waichingliu81
06-08-2008, 08:36 AM
well put james anthony and GSU2004 :)

TVFactFan
06-08-2008, 03:54 PM
And it can also mean that he had no interest in being a family man

Ireneparalegal
06-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Or he loves to play the field. ;)

TVFactFan
06-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Or he loves to play the field. ;)

Yup that too-lol

waichingliu81
06-09-2008, 06:33 AM
And it can also mean that he had no interest in being a family man

true, irene and soloman, you both hit the nail right on the head :)

liane49
05-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Is there a source for him being gay? If he is gay he is a very convincing actor because I would have never thought so. I know that like Carroll O'Connor he was a liberal who got tired of playing a racist type character.
He wasn't gay when he was younger because I herd him talk about a girl he dated in his hometown name Lousie and he use to call her Weezy and that's how the naickname started on The Jerffersons when he called his TV wife Weezy.

TVFactFan
05-05-2013, 01:07 PM
He wasn't gay when he was younger because I herd him talk about a girl he dated in his hometown name Lousie and he use to call her Weezy and that's how the naickname started on The Jerffersons when he called his TV wife Weezy.


he wasn't gay at all