PDA

View Full Version : Unsolved Mysteries stories that took place in your state

dynoguy88
10-04-2002, 11:06 PM
Name any stories from Unsolved Mysteries that took place in your state. Me being from Michigan, I can only think of a couple....

1. A really early case from the show; a business man named Jack Brown working in his office in Ypsilanti, MI, (just 20 miles from where I live) was gunned down in broad day light. The case remains unsolved.

2. Some of you probably won't remember this case that much because it was a short "Special Alert" one, but it happened in Kalamazoo, MI in 1992. (I went to college in Kalamazoo the last two years!) A man got in a fight with his wife, dragged her out of their apartment, killed her and dumped her body in the woods about 10 miles away. Luckily, the scum-bag was captured.

3. Dennis DePue murdered his ex-wife Marylin in Coldwater, about a 2 hour drive from my house.

Depue saw his case featured on Unsolved Mysteries, tried to distract his girlfriend from seeing the TV and drove off. His girlfriend saw the rest of the UM segement and called the telecenter. Depue was then spotted by police and he killed himself.

mbiers
10-05-2002, 01:32 PM
I recall a couple other stories from Michigan (I think)...

1.) The rich guy who scammed a bunch of people and then left on his boat on Lake Michigan never to be seen or heard from again.

2.) The case of Gordon (last name, I forgot) who was mildly metally handicapped and disappeared one day from his group home. That was a tough one to watch. I just felt horrible for the dad who was wracked with guilt over having to put his son there and then having him disappear. For some reason, I think that was in Ann Arbor or some part of Michigan.

I am from Minnesota and I remember the case of the lady whose car died in the middle of the winter and she froze to death (almost). They found her body in like -20 degree weather and brought her to the hospital. Somehow, she recovered after being frozen solid. Freaky...

Kane
10-05-2002, 01:49 PM
I live in Massachusetts, and, as an UM fan, am aware that the show has profiled cass from that state. Here are some of them:

1) The search for reputed mobster James 'Whitey' Bulger. (He's still on the run.)

2) The murder of Logan Airport employee Su Taraskiewicz. She was murdered in September of 1992, so last month marked the tenth anniversary of her slaying. She was said to have suffered sexual harassment on the job. That was beleived to have contributed to her death. There was also a credit card theft going on at the airport, so there was speculation that she might have been killed to be prevented from ratting on her co-workers. (I personally believe that both scenarios each played a role in her murder.) To date, her unknown killer or killers are still walking scot-free. :mad:

3) The June 2000 disappearance of Molly Bish, a teenage lifeguard who is still missing.

4) The 1970 robbery of a Brighton bank in which Walter Schroder (a Boston police officer) was killed. Everyone else was arrested except for Kathy Power. But that changed in 1993 (four years after the segment originally aired), when Power surrendered to authorities. She served about eight years in jail for her involvement, and is now out on parole. (The bank where the robbery was reenacted for the UM segment was in my home town of Arlington!)

Mijada
10-05-2002, 04:23 PM
The Shannon Mohr case took place in Michigan. She was the girl who married that David Davis guy. He ended up killing her for the life insurance. He said that she fell off a horse but come to find out he had injected her with some sort of horse tranquilizer and then killed her. That case aired I believe the 1st year UM was on and the guy was caught a short time later.

dynoguy88
10-06-2002, 12:14 AM
Oh, how could I forget the Shannon Mohr case! I remember reading about it in the newspaper before school one morning.

Hey Kane, I didn't remember the Sue Taraskiewicz story being in Massachusetts, I must be losing it. But anyway, that story REALLY bugged me. It's so obvious that some of her co-workers set her up and were responsible for her death.

How ironic that none of her co-workers made the slightest attempt to go look for her after she didn't return shortly like she had planned. Coincidence? I think not.

Ericguy
10-16-2002, 02:17 PM
The one that aired on Lifetime about three weeks ago about the girl taken from the landromat whose car ended up in Dayton, Ohio. I not only live in the state where it happened I live in the town and have done my laundry there often. That case has been news here for over a year and her flyers are still everywhere. The family begged them to come and do a story and then in the papers the day after it aired they blasted them for taking "creative liberties" in the reenactment. I wanted to say..hello...ITS TV!!!

boechsner
10-16-2002, 05:09 PM
I'm from Wisconsin and the only one that I can think of is the haunted house case that aired in October 1988.

The house is located in Horicon, WI about 15minutes from my home, and Horicon is where most of my family lives. The house supposedly became haunted after the family moved a bunk bed upstairs. My cousins and I have it on tape and everytime we watch it, we have to drive past the house.

TJ
11-04-2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by dynoguy88
Hey Kane, I didn't remember the Sue Taraskiewicz story being in Massachusetts, I must be losing it. But anyway, that story REALLY bugged me. It's so obvious that some of her co-workers set her up and were responsible for her death.

How ironic that none of her co-workers made the slightest attempt to go look for her after she didn't return shortly like she had planned. Coincidence? I think not.

Don't you remember the mother's accent? I think that gave it away. I can picture Kane with one of those big Bostonian accents. :)

Thracian
11-07-2002, 04:32 PM
I'm from Utah and can think of a few:

(1) Exboyfriend of teenage girl killed her parents and stabbed her and her brother. He fled and was captured in Utah.

(2) Young girl Zena was kidnapped by her grandmother. Both the mother and grandmother lived in Utah for a while.

(3) Trisha Autry, who disappeared and was later found murdered. It was big news here when it happened.

I'm sure there are more. These are the ones that come to mind.

P. S. I TOTALLY agree about Su's coworkers. I can't imagine her disappearing like that, yet no one from work notices. A bit suspicious . . .

Allierain
11-30-2002, 04:37 PM
I'm from Oregon. Here is one distinct case I remember from my state:

I remember the case of 14 year-old Jeremy Bright who disappeared from the Coos County Fair near Myrtle Point, OR in 1985. There are several theories surrounding his disappearance, including the idea that he was shot at a swimming hole and and buried in the woods when he died. Another was that he took some illegal drugs at a party and died from complications. If I recall correctly, a local boy that was named in most of the theories was arrested later on an unrelated charge of murder. The scary part was that I was at this same fair (we used to go every year when we lived in that area, I now live in northern Oregon) that he disappeared from only a day before he was supposed to have been there. It was the day that Tammy Wynette was performing. I also have a few pictures taken of me at that fair. I was five at the time this happened. I did an internet search and found several websites bearing his name, vital stats, and picture, but so far the case has never been solved.

UM also featured the story of an Oregon politician that was murdered outside his office in Salem (I don't remember names but I do remember seeing the story...I was living an hour away when it happened).

I don't recall any other segments that took place in Oregon, but I do remember a few updates about criminals that wound up in Oregon and were arrested here. The Green River Killer story was also partially filmed in Portland, Oregon.

Kane
11-30-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Allierain

UM also featured the story of an Oregon politician that was murdered outside his office in Salem (I don't remember names but I do remember seeing the story...I was living an hour away when it happened).

You're probably talking about the 1989 murder of Michael Francke (pronounced, Franky), who was actually a Department of Corrections official. Police ruled that his murder was the result of a robbery gone wrong. However, that ruling became questionable to some people, including Francke's family. His family is certain that there was a coverup, and they feel that the cops don't want it solved. I wonder how these cops sleep at night, knowing that Francke's unknown killer or killers are still in our society when they should either be rotting in jail or sitting on death row! :mad:

dynoguy88
12-01-2002, 01:14 AM
I remember the Michael Franke segment. Interesting case, but not enough details to make an arrest, and I doubt that they ever will. How depressing.

The police sketch of the unidentified man that was seen walking around Franke's office late the night of his murder looked pretty creepy.

Allierain
12-01-2002, 03:25 AM
Ah, that was it! Thank you, Kane!

-Allie

Pandora444
12-17-2002, 02:41 PM
I lived In San Antonio, TX during the time the Leonard Rizzo story went into the news. My sister was acutally friends in high school with Rizzo's son (I believe his name was also Leonard.) Not long after she graduated, the son went into the hospital for cancer. My sister visited him there and by the next week he had passed away. I remember how stunned and sad she was at the loss of her friend. And at around the same time, the the bones were being discovered in Rizzo's backyard/BBQ was all over the media. She said it was shocking to think the dad would do such a thing (if he did) and that she only remembered the son as coming from a happy home life. She didn't know him EXTREMELY well though, so you never know.

I live near Dayton, Ohio now and just saw a segment on UM this morning (a repeat) about a person in Circleville, OH who was sending letters to people. (I think the lady's name who was mostly receiving the letters was Mary Gillespie.) The woman's husband wound up dead after pursuing who he thought was the letter writer and another man (I think the one time brother-in-law of Mary) was imprisoned for wrting the letters, though he maintains that he is innocent. I tried to find more info on the "Circle Writer" but haven't been able to find any. I would like to know if people are still receiving mysterious letters, or if their have been any more discoveries? If anyone has any info, please pass it along! Thanks!

starzzz
12-29-2002, 11:36 PM
Hi,
I live in Mi also, I have a message posted on this, Im wondering if you remember a case that a man murdered either his wife OR his family, They lived in Salem Mi (bout 10 min from me)
I have not see the episode but have been to the house, this ISNT the Mohr case although after a peply to my message I thought it could have been (both had horses) I am not sure but I heard they found the wife murdered in the barn.
I believe this happened in the 80's. Robert Stack filmed in Salem and nearby South Lyon. I thought that since you sound like you are right in this area like myself, you may know or remember something on this??
Any info would be Much appreciated.

A

typhoo
01-06-2003, 01:01 PM
Hi! I'm relativley new here, but I'll put some cases I know.

Anyway, I live in Houston, TX and I know 3 cases which happened here.

1) The case where that girl was alone at home being sick and these people broke in to the house and tied her up an beat her. Unfortunatly, this case has never been updated, and I'm about 30 minutes (I think...) from her house. :( And that criminal sketch was creepy too. As a side note, where did she live because I'm not sure of the exact location...

2) An old case in which Mathhew McCounghay (whoever he was playing) kept on getting shot by this guy who was flashing these kids... (I can never remember the names of anyone) Thankfully that case was updated, and it's still creepy to find out that I'm only about 15 minutes away from where that happened! :eek:

3) Finally, not much of a criminal case, but a profile on Lois Gibson who does the criminial skectches. Hope those three people get caught...

There are more around Houston and Texas but I can't remember them right now!

Kane
01-10-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by TJ

Don't you remember the mother's accent? I think that gave it away. I can picture Kane with one of those big Bostonian accents. :)

Well, it so happens that I reside in Arlington, MA. Correction: Ah-lington! :lol:

Anyway, there are couple of other unsolved MA cases featured on Unsolved Mysteries (both of which were reran this week):

1) The still-unsolved 1992 murder of Lisa Ziegert (who was a teacher in the town of Agawam).

2) The 1994 murder of David Cox (which was shown just moments ago). The victim in question was a former marine who was involved in a 1986 military hazing incident that inspired the the movie "A Few Good Men." There have been some theories as to why he was murdered. Some think it was related to his military stint, and others speculated that his murder might have been connected to the United Parcel Service (where he was working at the time of his death). Nonetheless, the murder of David Cox remains unsolved. :(

Makoto_4
01-13-2003, 01:58 AM
I live in California and I know about 2 cases that occurred here. One is the murder of Mickey and Trudy Thompson in Southern California, which was solved. The other is Frank Montenegro (aka Mr. Monty), the Hayward, CA teacher who sexually molested one of his students. The Montenegro case scared me because it occurred right where I live! Even worse, he's still on the loose. :eek: :(

-Makoto_4

Tap Dancer
02-03-2006, 02:27 PM
Amy Bradley, who disappeared while on a cruise with her family, is from Richmond (I think). That's less than an hour from where I live.

Edit: How could I forget Tommy Burkett?
I'd love to find out about other UM cases that took place in VA. I'll come back to this thread if I find some more.

sugarbaby
02-07-2006, 04:28 PM
The Ashley Pond/Miranda Gaddis case was 20 minutes from me and I know an FBI agent who worked on that exact case and they said you wouldn't believe the number of sex offenders that lived in the very apartment complex that these two girls were living in. It is not a nice neighborhood at all.

crystaldawn
02-07-2006, 05:33 PM
The Ashley Pond/Miranda Gaddis case was 20 minutes from me and I know an FBI agent who worked on that exact case and they said you wouldn't believe the number of sex offenders that lived in the very apartment complex that these two girls were living in. It is not a nice neighborhood at all.

Yes I watched that Dateline a few weeks ago about Ashley and Miranda and Ward Weaver. I think the number was close to 100 sex offenders who were very close to where they live. They made mention that it was a low income housing type apartment building if I remember correctly. For those of you who didn't see it, it was mainly told from the POV of a self proclaimed private investigator who was currently married to a man who had once been married to one of the girl's grandmothers. She claims she alerted the FBI to Ward Weaver soon after the disappearance and they didn't take her seriously. I was suprised to find out that Ward Weaver's dad was a convicted serial killer and had even buried some of his victims in a similar fashion as Ward had buried Ashley and Miranda.

sugarbaby
02-07-2006, 06:01 PM
That information about Ward Weaver's dad was well known around here as soon as he became the prime suspect and he paraded around to every news station around town. It is pretty sick. I also am friends with a one of the newscasters who went to his house way before the girls were found....and she said she walked right by the freezer that they believe Miranda was in all along.....VERY creepy. Sick sick sick

compulsive dvd
02-07-2006, 07:59 PM
The Richard Church case took place in my home state of Illinois, but closer to Chicago. The girlfriend had a really strong Chicago accent I remember. One that took place next to my home town of Peoria was the case of the con artist Ann Coracelli. I have traveled across the bridge she throws the "money" off of many times. What's funny is that it's the furthest bridge from the city, so they probably got permission to shoot there so it wouldn't interfere with traffic.

CODIS
02-08-2006, 01:19 PM
I am a native New Yorker so there are a few that I can mention here that I remember.

1. Son of Sam/David Berkowitz-Shot one of "their" 1st victims in Queens, NY near a club that was called Elafas(sp) now a Tony Roma's
2. TWA Flight 800 that crashes off Long Islands South Shore.
3. Chiam Weiss.-Hebrew student killed in his dorm at school in Long Beach, NY
4. Senha Philip-Missing 9/10/2001 frow World Trade Center area.
5. April Gregory murder - Student in SUNY Albany. (This was paired along w/ Kristin Smarts Disappearence)
6. Joseph Prushanowski.- Hasidic guy who ripped off all the banks. (Brooklyn, NY)
7.Binghamton armored car robbery. ( mafia related they say )
8. Buffalo Bike Path Killer- Murdered Linda Yalem....never identified.
9. Kerri Lyn Nixon. Oswego , NY .Killer captured and convicted.
10. Marlene Santana- was abducted from her mom as they left the hospital after she gave birth to Marlene. (She was abducted at gunpoint from a woman that I thought was Pat Benetar (lol) also a Ny'er. <what are the odds>
11.Champ- that eel like thingee/beaver-thing in Lake Champlain (whatever)

Long list :crazy:

Any New Yorkers that can add to the list please feel free.

benoitbabe
03-22-2006, 11:54 PM
Kane. I'm from MA also. I remember the David Cox case on there. He was not working for ups yet. He was awaiting a phone call to see if he had a job with them or not. what town was he from? I can't remember.
I also know all about Molly Bish being from here. Speaking of our missing kids. Why do you all supose they never aired Holly Peranian's case. Her killer still has not been caught. We live very clsoe to where she was from. In fact my mom knew her mom from bingo. So, her case realy hit home for us. I have one of her ribbons.
I agree that Su was killed by her coworkers or set up by them.
The Adam and Elana Emery case was close to me too as I live near RI. That's all I can think of.

robbieasbury
03-23-2006, 09:13 AM
There was the case of an Ohio man who was murdered, Crystaldawn told me his name I forgot his first name, Gilbert was his last name, I wonder if they ever solved that case.

crystaldawn
03-23-2006, 10:22 AM
There was the case of an Ohio man who was murdered, Crystaldawn told me his name I forgot his first name, Gilbert was his last name, I wonder if they ever solved that case.

Perman Gilbert was his name. Yes I would love to know of any updates on that case as well.

robbieasbury
03-23-2006, 10:44 AM
Has Lifetime ever repeated this case recently, what part of Ohio did this happen in? It's been so long since I saw it.

Kane
03-23-2006, 02:55 PM
Kane. I'm from MA also. I remember the David Cox case on there. He was not working for ups yet. He was awaiting a phone call to see if he had a job with them or not. what town was he from? I can't remember.

Well, I thought that he was waiting for word as to whether his job there would become a permanent one. I got the impression he had a temp job for UPS, and that he was doing so well that the company was considering having him as a permanent employee.

I can't say with 100 percent certainty, but I think he was from Lowell (or at least he was from a nearby town).

Why do you all supose they never aired Holly Peranian's case. Her killer still has not been caught.

Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe it was one of those cases that were proposed to them to no avail?

Anyway, I remember hearing about the disappearance and murder of Holly Pirrainen (the actual spelling of her last name). I'm sure it was featured on AMW. The case was also brought up in 48 Hours episode that discussed the Molly Bish case. In addition, Holly's mother, Christina Harrington, was recently interviewed on CNN Headline News. So we can take comfort in knowing that the Holly Pirrainen murder has been given national exposure.

Dislimb
03-23-2006, 03:12 PM
I live in Cleveland, Ohio -- I can recall a few that happened in my state.

1- Kurt Sova (happened less than five minutes from my home)

2- One of the ghost stories where the lady was electrocuted in her bed and saw both good and bad ghosts... it's on the Scariest Ghost Stories DVD set.

3- The Wackers (always was very intrigued by this one, haven't seen it in a while)

benoitbabe
03-27-2006, 04:22 PM
thanks ,Kane, I apreciate the info on airings of Holly's case on other shows. I hope they find her kiler. Do you think Molly and Sarah Pryor's cases might be related to Holly's and each other's?

Kane
03-27-2006, 08:12 PM
thanks ,Kane, I apreciate the info on airings of Holly's case on other shows. I hope they find her kiler. Do you think Molly and Sarah Pryor's cases might be related to Holly's and each other's?

If anything, I'd say it's not impossible for the cases to be related. What they all have in common is that they were all Massachusetts girls who went missing for various periods of time before they were found dead. Maybe they share other similarities that were never released to the press.

benoitbabe
04-03-2006, 10:30 PM
Thanks,Kane, I agree that they could be as well.
Do they have any suspects in Sarah's case? Her case always haunted me because it happened when I was growing up. I used to think of her whenever my family would go to Whalum Park in Lunenberg,Ma. That was because to me as a child whallum and Wayland sounded simalar. I always wondered what happened to her. Now it had such a sad end and I hope someone is punished someday for it.

Kane
04-04-2006, 09:08 AM
Thanks,Kane, I agree that they could be as well.
You're welcome. :)

Do they have any suspects in Sarah's case?

I know of one: John Robert Whirty.

He had served time in a Texas prison for a 1967 murder, but he was paroled and eventually moved to Massachusetts. He was known to have been in Wayland around the time of Sarah's disappearance. He is also a suspect in the disappearance of another Massachusetts girl, Catherine Malcomson, who went missing in August 1985 (two months before Sarah's disappearance). Unlike Sarah, Catherine has never been found.

John Whirty was eventually sent back to a Texas prison for a parole violation, and my understanding is that he's still incarcerated. At this point, there doesn't appear to be enough evidence to charge him (or anyone else) with Sarah's murder.

benoitbabe
04-11-2006, 08:37 PM

Thanks, Kane, I did not know that. Was he a suspect in the Malcolmson case as well.?

He had served time in a Texas prison for a 1967 murder, but he was paroled and eventually moved to Massachusetts. He was known to have been in Wayland around the time of Sarah's disappearance. He is also a suspect in the disappearance of another Massachusetts girl, Catherine Malcomson, who went missing in August 1985 (two months before Sarah's disappearance). Unlike Sarah, Catherine has never been found.

John Whirty was eventually sent back to a Texas prison for a parole violation, and my understanding is that he's still incarcerated. At this point, there doesn't appear to be enough evidence to charge him (or anyone else) with Sarah's murder.

alfiechat
06-12-2008, 07:53 PM
which girl was this one?

Kane
06-12-2008, 10:02 PM
which girl was this one?

Who? Sarah Pryor? She was a nine-year-old Massachusetts girl who vanished in October 1985. Her skull was found in 1995, but it wasn't until January 1998 when the remains were positively identified as hers.

To date, no one has ever been charged with Sarah's death.

alfiechat
06-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Thanks, Kane for clearing that up!!

Cori aka ChrisSCrush
06-13-2008, 12:50 AM
D. B. Cooper, Bigfoot, Spokane bank robberies, and that kidnapping and murder of the young couple whose killer taunted the families afterwards, which I think started in Canada and took place across several states.

supersally1974
06-13-2008, 08:27 AM
The case of Clifford Sherwood and Georges Gumbley, disappeared from their Montreal (Verdun township), Quebec home in 1964.

And closer to my hometown....

The "UFO sighting" (cough, cough) of West Carleton, Ontario, which is a stone throw away from Ottawa. Apparently, the nearby communities of Dunrobin and Carp (yes, like the fish) are also famous for UFO sightings.
:ufo:

MavFan92
06-13-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm originally from Sunset, Utah where Rachael Runyan was abducted and killed. I even attended Doxey Elementary School for a while - she was kidnapped from the playground there.

I now live in Dallas/Fort Worth area. There are many Texas cases that come to mind, one was from the first season I believe. It was a case of a man who was wrongly accused of robbing a gas station in Mesquite. At the time of the robbery, he was at his house in Fort Worth which is about 60 miles away. Remember his friend saying he remembered the time because he was watching 'Battlestar Galactica' ?

Another was the case of a woman on a boating trip with her girlfriends on Lake Lewisville. She and her friends were out on the lake at night and someone in a speedboat jumped over their boat and sliced her face open. Lake Lewisville is north of Dallas.

Patsy Wright - died after taking strychnine-laced Nyquil. She was from Arlington which is right between Dallas and Ft Worth. She owned the Wax Museum in Grand Prairie. Strangely enough, the museum burned down some time after her death.

And of course, Brushy Bill! He lived in Hico, which is south of Fort Worth.

Sam Patel - suspected in the death of his business partner in Webster TX

"Ghost Lights" of Marfa.

Megan Curl was from Lufkin

synthisislab
06-13-2008, 03:03 PM
There are a few cases in Florida.

Little Miss Panasoffkee
Oba Chandler
Debra Poe and other convenience store abductions
Eileen Mangold
One of the guys in the Roger Wheeler case was murdered down in Ft. Lauderdale.
Jim Burnside
Beverly McGowan
Panama City Fraud
Rebecca Young
Tammy Leppert
Skunk Ape
UFO Healing
Greg Webb was caught in Jacksonville (my home city)

Speaking of Jacksonville, does anyone recall the case where there was a missing wife and her car was found in the parking lot of Jacksonville International Airport? I can't remember the names or other details.

mphs95
06-13-2008, 03:06 PM
I'm from Michigan and a few more come to mind.

1. John Burns. He was featured on one of the pre-RSS specials. He was a custodian in South Lyon, Michigan and he killed his gf/fiancee Eleanor when she found out he was married and dumped him.

2. Phil Breen. The morgage guy who lived the good life in Detroit by embezzling from his morgage company. When caught, he took off, leaving his wife Kathleen holding the bag. Scumbag!

3. This one was a special alert, but it was the case of the bank president of the Bank of Alma in Mt. Pleasant who ran after being caught embezzling.

4. The Rachel Timmerman rape/murder by Marvin Gabrion. I remember he was tried in fed court bc she was found in Oxford Lake bc it was federal. The big deal was the fact that MI doesn't have the death penalty and the feds were seeking it.

Fellow Michiganders, did I miss anything?

synthisislab
06-13-2008, 04:01 PM
I missed quite a few:

Tommy Ziegler
Amy Billig
Tara Calico
Glen Consagra
Larry Costine/Melissa Jo Sermons
The Harold & Thelma Swain murders happened right above the Florida border.
Todd McAfee
Franklin Delano Floyd
John Purvis
Dimitric Moore
Nudist colony pedophile (the names escape me)
Jerry Gerbasoni
Albert Leon Fletcher
Judith Himes
Tim Molnar
Sabrina Eisenberg
Kristie Gunderson Lee
James Sullivan
Marisa Maugeri
Pamela June Ray
Missing boat case off the coast of Florida
Bermuda Triangle

unsolvedfan164
06-14-2008, 02:05 AM
well i live in napa california,vallejo isn't that far so the pizza bandits case and
of course the zodiac thing happened in berryessa,so two stories.

MegtheEgg86
06-19-2008, 03:26 PM
I'm from Tennessee. I can only recall a few, but they're very pointed:

1. Margo Freshwater - Memphis/Shelby County Escaped from Tennessee State Prison for Women after being incarcerated for participation in an interstate killing spree with her lover in 1970. Eluded capture for 32 years and was found in Columbus, Ohio, married with three children, and living under an assumed name. She was subsequently reincarcerated at TSPW in 2002.

2. ATV murders - Chattanooga/Hamilton County Three men who had gone out riding ATVs were found dead in the woods around Signal Mountain from shotgun blasts in 1988. The bodies were found 11 miles from the actual murder site, and the blood-covered ATVs were found covered up in a nearby trash dump. In 1998, Frank Casteel, a suspect from the beginning, was found guilty on three counts of first-degree murder and is currently incarcerated at South Central Correctional Facility. He will eligible for parole in 2038.

3. Music Row Murder - Nashville Sammy Sadler, a country singer, and his friend Kevin Hughes were leaving Evergreen Records (Sadler's record label) on Sixth Avenue one night in March 1989. A man clad in dark clothing and a ski mask appeared from around Hughes' car across the street from the record studio and shot Sadler in the arm and shoulder. As Hughes attempted to flee for help, the gunman shot him, causing him to collapse. The gunman then stood over him and pumped two bullets into his head, killing him. The commotion drew a crowd as police arrived, its numbers including Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson, who were down the street recording in another studio.

Kevin Hughes was an employee at Cash Box magazine, a country music publication that ran independent record charts. A racket involving chart slots and payoffs to the magazine from people eager to see their recordings chart drove Hughes to embark on a campaign to legitimize Cash Box and its charts. Richard D'Antonio, also an employee of the magazine, was responsible for manipulating chart data and the radio stations that played them. D'Antonio was found to be the masked shooter on Sixth Avenue that evening almost ten years later, and is currently incarcerated at Turney Prison and Industrial Farm.

idol
06-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Two from Maine that I can think of

Joyce McLain - teenager who was murdered while out jogging. Looking for killer.

And the Allagash alien abductions.

PunkyP0WER
06-24-2008, 10:03 AM
I'm from connecticut. the only one that sticks out is "carol" who was shot in the face by some guy in a black pickup truck. scary that they never caught him. i hope hes in prison for something else.

idol
06-24-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm from connecticut. the only one that sticks out is "carol" who was shot in the face by some guy in a black pickup truck. scary that they never caught him. i hope hes in prison for something else.

Wasnt there a similar case in NH as well? Or I may be thinking of the case were a lady stopped at a soda machine late at night and was attacked badly and she was pregnent. Both cases were startling.

alfiechat
06-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Not sure how many there were from PA. I remember the case with the Noble brothers robbing the one lady, and Donald Eugene Webb killing the cop, but any others? just curious.:happyface

PunkyP0WER
06-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Wasnt there a similar case in NH as well? Or I may be thinking of the case were a lady stopped at a soda machine late at night and was attacked badly and she was pregnent. Both cases were startling.
wasn't that the new hampshire serial killer

alfiechat
06-25-2008, 04:34 PM
The one that aired on Lifetime about three weeks ago about the girl taken from the landromat whose car ended up in Dayton, Ohio. I not only live in the state where it happened I live in the town and have done my laundry there often. That case has been news here for over a year and her flyers are still everywhere. The family begged them to come and do a story and then in the papers the day after it aired they blasted them for taking "creative liberties" in the reenactment. I wanted to say..hello...ITS TV!!!
Can you refresh my memory with some specifics?

crystaldawn
06-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Can you refresh my memory with some specifics?

That was the case of Niqui McCown. Here's the profile:

http://www.unsolved.com/0238-McCown.html

idol
06-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Two from Maine that I can think of

Joyce McLain - teenager who was murdered while out jogging. Looking for killer.

And the Allagash alien abductions.

I can add Gail Delano to the list which I saw last night.

mhryvnak
06-26-2008, 05:33 PM
I'm not sure if anyone will remember this story, but it happened within 20 miles of my childhood home. The case where the guy supposedly caused it to rain inside of a house, and then later also caused the rain inside of a jail cell. That happened in Stroudsburg, PA. I grew up in Blakeslee, PA. Very close! Was this ever proven to be a hoax? :confused:

Cori aka ChrisSCrush
06-30-2008, 12:37 AM
Well, between my state and the next state. I've driven down the road where Frederick Russell killed those people many times. There was also another Unsolved Mystery set in Moscow, Idaho--about a gay man who argued with an employee and his boyfriend turned up missing just as the guy he argued with would have been leaving for Lewiston. Any updates on this?

Mimmy
09-06-2008, 11:45 PM
I grew up in a very small town in Western Maryland. My family moved to North Carolina when I was 16. Here is a list of just a few I can remember off the top of my head from both states:

Maryland
Tracy Kirkpatrick
Lorraine Zimmerman
Oliver Munson
Keith Warren
Susan Harrison

North Carolina
Rhonda Hinson
The four men who were run off the road in Greensboro, one of them died and the others were injured
A bank robber (can't remember his name), hit a lot of banks in Charlotte
James Donald King
Eric Rudolph

I could also list some cases from Southern Pennsylvania/West Virginia since PA was only a 15-minute drive away and WV was just across the river ... that area is so cut off from civilization that you'd think it was all in the same state. But anyway, the only case I can think of right now is the Mothman, so perhaps I will leave the list-compiling to someone else.

MegtheEgg86
09-07-2008, 04:07 AM
I'm from Tennessee. I can only recall a few, but they're very pointed:

1. Margo Freshwater - Memphis/Shelby County Escaped from Tennessee State Prison for Women after being incarcerated for participation in an interstate killing spree with her lover in 1970. Eluded capture for 32 years and was found in Columbus, Ohio, married with three children, and living under an assumed name. She was subsequently reincarcerated at TSPW in 2002.

2. ATV murders - Chattanooga/Hamilton County Three men who had gone out riding ATVs were found dead in the woods around Signal Mountain from shotgun blasts in 1988. The bodies were found 11 miles from the actual murder site, and the blood-covered ATVs were found covered up in a nearby trash dump. In 1998, Frank Casteel, a suspect from the beginning, was found guilty on three counts of first-degree murder and is currently incarcerated at South Central Correctional Facility. He will eligible for parole in 2038.

3. Music Row Murder - Nashville Sammy Sadler, a country singer, and his friend Kevin Hughes were leaving Evergreen Records (Sadler's record label) on Sixth Avenue one night in March 1989. A man clad in dark clothing and a ski mask appeared from around Hughes' car across the street from the record studio and shot Sadler in the arm and shoulder. As Hughes attempted to flee for help, the gunman shot him, causing him to collapse. The gunman then stood over him and pumped two bullets into his head, killing him. The commotion drew a crowd as police arrived, its numbers including Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson, who were down the street recording in another studio.

Kevin Hughes was an employee at Cash Box magazine, a country music publication that ran independent record charts. A racket involving chart slots and payoffs to the magazine from people eager to see their recordings chart drove Hughes to embark on a campaign to legitimize Cash Box and its charts. Richard D'Antonio, also an employee of the magazine, was responsible for manipulating chart data and the radio stations that played them. D'Antonio was found to be the masked shooter on Sixth Avenue that evening almost ten years later, and is currently incarcerated at Turney Prison and Industrial Farm.

I can add the Maples/Baskins case (Murfreesboro), Blair Adams (Knoxville), George Owens (Nashville metro area), and another case I vaguely remember that happened somewhere in the vicinity of Chattanooga involving a woman who had her aunt and uncle killed and then their home set on fire...the name escapes me, but she was found later in Texas, I believe.

LooksLikeCRicci
09-08-2008, 03:11 PM
So, I'm kinda shocked that I haven't chimed in on this thread yet, although I'm pretty sure y'all know what cases come out of my home state. :)

For those of you who are new to the boards, I'm from Montana. Given the sparse population here in Montana, we've had quite a few cases from here:

1. Lisa Marie Kimmell-- Teen from Billings, MT who disappeared on her way to Colorado. There was a massive search for her car, with the MT personalized plates "LIL MISS." Dale Wayne Eaton was eventually charged and convicted of her murder. He has recently lost a bid for an appeal.

2. Nyleen Kay Marshall-- Young girl who disappeared while at a campground with her parents near Clancy, MT. Her family recieved letters from a person who claimed that he "had" Nyleen.

3. Patricia Meehan-- Woman disappeared after a car accident near Circle, MT. She's thought to have amnesia. There have been a few confirmed sightings after her disappearance, but she hasn't been seen in years. If you're looking for a pic of her, just look to the left. She's my avatar.

4. Dexter Stelfonik-- Elderly man who was driving from Wisconsin to Washington. His car was found on fire in a rest stop near Glendive, MT. His body was found in a dump near the area later. It's hypothesized that he was killed by someone familiar with the area.

5. Father John Kerrigan-- Priest who was new to the Ronan, MT area. Disappeared shortly after agreeing to meet a "crisis call." His car and some bloody clothes were found. It's thought that his disappearance was linked to that of another priest and it's speculated that there may have been a serial killer targeting priests.

6. Bo Tanner-- Man from Polebridge, MT who disappeared under strange circumstances. Was wanted for bigamy. Authorities later located him in Wyoming with a new wife, but didn't file bigamy charges against him. He was also the prime suspect in an arson case (his own church), but the statute of limitations had tolled, so no charges were brought.

7. Daniel Wilson-- Not originally from Montana, but mysteriously disappeared and his family was given word that he was staying in a homeless shelter in Billings, MT. His car was found in a remote area of Montana. Years later, they located his remains not too far from where his car was found.

I might be missing some, but those are the ones that pop into my head immediately.

MegtheEgg86
09-08-2008, 03:44 PM
For those of you who are new to the boards, I'm from Montana. Given the sparse population here in Montana, we've had quite a few cases from here

You know, I've noticed that myself. It seems like some states have a disproportionate number of cases---and they're never the states one would expect. I mean, you would think that every other case would out of New York, or Illinois, or California, due to the large cities there.

Necco
09-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Let's see:
Alex Kelly-fugitive rapist who essentially went on a ski trip for a decade

Martha Moxley-young blonde teenager killed with a golf club, nephew of Ethel Kennedy convicted decades later

Nurse shot on her way to work on a lonely country road (this one freaked me out because I never could pinpoint exactly where it happened)

The dinnertime bandit, recently captured

Chichester-tried to sell the Sohus' truck here (I swear, this guy probably makes 1/2 the states in the union involved in an unsolved mystery)

The guy with Munchausen syndrome/drug seeking behavior

The molesting firefighter/explorer post leader

The Puerto Rican liberation group armored car heist guy

Stephen Marfeo ended his life here, and some think that Doreen is in fact, buried somewhere near where he committed suicide.

I also have vague recollections of a haunting/possession case (maybe involving the Warrens, but all those haunting segments/shows all blend together in my head) and an update involving a fugitive being found in a hotel someplace near New Haven, but again, that could be from another show.

That's all I have for now.

PS I think some states have more cases than others because certain law enforcement organizations maintained relationships with the crew for the show.

Mimmy
09-08-2008, 11:21 PM
Yikes, how could I have forgotten Jeffrey MacDonald? Probably one of the biggest and most controversial cases ever to come out of the Tarheel State.

And this is even weirder ... he is actually in a prison in my mother's hometown of Cumberland, Maryland. I grew up in that area and I remember when they tore down an old factory to build the first prison, about 15 years ago. It always used to scare me because my grandmother lived less than a mile from the prison and I worried that someone might escape - probably a direct result of watching all of those UM segments about escaped convicts! A Supermax was added in the last few years. I even know people (some of them family members) who work there as guards.

MegtheEgg86
09-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Yikes, how could I have forgotten Jeffrey MacDonald? Probably one of the biggest and most controversial cases ever to come out of the Tarheel State.

This man was the sole reason behind why I was so creeped out the first time I went to Fort Bragg.

leafygreens
09-15-2008, 12:22 PM
I can add the Maples/Baskins case (Murfreesboro), Blair Adams (Knoxville), George Owens (Nashville metro area), and another case I vaguely remember that happened somewhere in the vicinity of Chattanooga involving a woman who had her aunt and uncle killed and then their home set on fire...the name escapes me, but she was found later in Texas, I believe.

Don't forget the Bordello Murders. It took place near Ft. Campbell, which is technically in TN (if you look at the map) but the mailing address is KY.

MegtheEgg86
09-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Don't forget the Bordello Murders. It took place near Ft. Campbell, which is technically in TN (if you look at the map) but the mailing address is KY.

Yep, Campbell's technically in TN (the only reason it's "officially" in KY is because the base post office is over the state line), but Oak Grove, where the murders happened, is in Kentucky. It's only about 5 miles in, though. Driven through there many a time.

LGraves65
09-17-2008, 11:33 AM
I live in Arkansas and the "boys on the tracks" happened near my house.

Tendervittles
09-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Hi! I'm relativley new here, but I'll put some cases I know.

Anyway, I live in Houston, TX and I know 3 cases which happened here.

1) The case where that girl was alone at home being sick and these people broke in to the house and tied her up an beat her. Unfortunatly, this case has never been updated, and I'm about 30 minutes (I think...) from her house. :( And that criminal sketch was creepy too. As a side note, where did she live because I'm not sure of the exact location...

2) An old case in which Mathhew McCounghay (whoever he was playing) kept on getting shot by this guy who was flashing these kids... (I can never remember the names of anyone) Thankfully that case was updated, and it's still creepy to find out that I'm only about 15 minutes away from where that happened! :eek:

3) Finally, not much of a criminal case, but a profile on Lois Gibson who does the criminial skectches. Hope those three people get caught...

There are more around Houston and Texas but I can't remember them right now!

1. That looked like a neighborhood in Clear Lake City, and the school looked like Clear Lake High School.

2. That was in Pasadena, and the guy Matthew was protraying was named Larry (forget his last name). I actually cheered watching Larry's cheerleader sister get a few licks in when identifying him in the police car, and again later seeing that little tiny wife go all Rambo when that fat creepy lardo showed up in her bathroom -- you don't poke a mama bear when she's got young'uns around!

I remember another case of a bank employee taking money from a bank vault, can't remember the state, but he was found in a neighborhood in Friendswood.

Now this didn't make it onto UM, but the night they showed the segment on the Chupacabra, the local news interviewed people in different areas of Texas who said they'd seen them along the TX/Mexico border.

DALLASTEXAN!!
09-22-2008, 03:14 PM
1. That looked like a neighborhood in Clear Lake City, and the school looked like Clear Lake High School.

2. That was in Pasadena, and the guy Matthew was protraying was named Larry (forget his last name). I actually cheered watching Larry's cheerleader sister get a few licks in when identifying him in the police car, and again later seeing that little tiny wife go all Rambo when that fat creepy lardo showed up in her bathroom -- you don't poke a mama bear when she's got young'uns around!

I remember another case of a bank employee taking money from a bank vault, can't remember the state, but he was found in a neighborhood in Friendswood.

Now this didn't make it onto UM, but the night they showed the segment on the Chupacabra, the local news interviewed people in different areas of Texas who said they'd seen them along the TX/Mexico border.
I'd have to list several. I lived in houston for six months or so when I first began to watch UM. It seemed as if I remember seeing segments from houston then, but for some reason I can't remember paticular details. For DFW where I lived most of my life, I know arlington, texas had an unexplained death segment. I just watched that segment for the first time a few months ago, but I can't remember the name though. It's easy to remember the famous one's like backyard bones, marfa lights, the entity(my kids hate that one) and texas most wanted. didn't they show chupacabra running down a street in texas a few weeks back? that was funny....i saw it on yahoo.
for az we have the infamous phoenix lights....also a treasure segment. the murders associated with danny casselero.

StackTime
09-23-2008, 02:31 AM
Not a text UM case, but Centre Country DA Ray Gricar disappeared from Lewisburg, PA, and I've visited the very spot his car was found. Very close to the Susquehanna River.

greatestgoalie25
09-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Well, as a Canadian, no stories have happened in my "state"...however a story about a murderer who killed and robbed a woman in a trailer (her husband escaped) at a rest stop here in Ontario was said at the end of the piece that he was heading for Sudbury, ON where I lived. It was freaky. Thankfully they caught him.

=PL=

Kane
09-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Well, as a Canadian, no stories have happened in my "state"...however a story about a murderer who killed and robbed a woman in a trailer (her husband escaped) at a rest stop here in Ontario was said at the end of the piece that he was heading for Sudbury, ON where I lived. It was freaky. Thankfully they caught him.

=PL=

Are you sure he was caught? :confused: The last I heard was that a man named Ronald Glenn West was viewed as a possible suspect, but that there was too little evidence (if they had any evidence at all) to charge him. He is, however, doing time in prison for a couple of murders unrelated to the rest stop case.

DALLASTEXAN!!
09-30-2008, 03:00 AM

=PL=
yeah the blind river rest area was it called? that was a sensless crime. I don't know that it has been solved. but it is one that really bothered me. makes me think twice when I stop at a rest stop. won't be resting at one that's for sure.

joshypiano
09-30-2008, 02:05 PM
I'd have to list several. I lived in houston for six months or so when I first began to watch UM. It seemed as if I remember seeing segments from houston then, but for some reason I can't remember paticular details. For DFW where I lived most of my life, I know arlington, texas had an unexplained death segment. I just watched that segment for the first time a few months ago, but I can't remember the name though. It's easy to remember the famous one's like backyard bones, marfa lights, the entity(my kids hate that one) and texas most wanted. didn't they show chupacabra running down a street in texas a few weeks back? that was funny....i saw it on yahoo.
for az we have the infamous phoenix lights....also a treasure segment. the murders associated with danny casselero.

Well from Houston of course you have the two Mary Morris Murders, and the death of Donna Baldeo, and Tara Breckenridge's disappearance. And the Arlington case was the poisoning of Patsy Wright. You also have Stephanie Booker who was hit by that speedboat north of Dallas. You also have the rape case of Steve Page in Vidor Texas. Theres also, Darlie Routier, Megan Curl, Rachel Cooke, Opal Zacharias, Marilu Geri, Elizabeth Campbell, William Glen Henry and Davy Lynn Crockett (who killed 4 people), Betty Cash and Vickie Landrum, the murders of teens Shane Stewart & Sally McNelly, Colleen Reed, Bill Henderson, Edward Harold Bell who was wanted for the murder of Larry Dickens, Roxann Jeeves' murder, Patricia White's murder, Mollie Jordan arson, and the mother who was repeatedly raped in front of her son while on a canoe trip down the Brazos river.

These are just the ones from Texas that come off the top of my head.
:)

DALLASTEXAN!!
09-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Well from Houston of course you have the two Mary Morris Murders, and the death of Donna Baldeo, and Tara Breckenridge's disappearance. And the Arlington case was the poisoning of Patsy Wright. You also have Stephanie Booker who was hit by that speedboat north of Dallas. You also have the rape case of Steve Page in Vidor Texas. Theres also, Darlie Routier, Megan Curl, Rachel Cooke, Opal Zacharias, Marilu Geri, Elizabeth Campbell, William Glen Henry and Davy Lynn Crockett (who killed 4 people), Betty Cash and Vickie Landrum, the murders of teens Shane Stewart & Sally McNelly, Colleen Reed, Bill Henderson, Edward Harold Bell who was wanted for the murder of Larry Dickens, Roxann Jeeves' murder, Patricia White's murder, Mollie Jordan arson, and the mother who was repeatedly raped in front of her son while on a canoe trip down the Brazos river.

These are just the ones from Texas that come off the top of my head.
:)
wow...ok you have refreshed my memory. yes patsy wright I just saw for the first time about 5 months ago. I wish I knew more details like where she lived exactly since I lived there. the glen rose canoe trip really creeped me out......and if i recall the suspects were never caught despite the fact that a great description was given by the victim.

the lake lewisville incident also had my attention. My mother and father in law live alongside the lake and we go there all the time. It's just weird when these things happen very close to home.

greatestgoalie25
10-03-2008, 02:44 PM
The man who escaped did succeed in re-creating his face, and whether he was caught or not, he didn't make it here,which is a major good. I was pretty sure they caught him...It was over 15 yrs ago...I sure hope he isn't still killing.

joshypiano
10-03-2008, 04:35 PM
wow...ok you have refreshed my memory. yes patsy wright I just saw for the first time about 5 months ago. I wish I knew more details like where she lived exactly since I lived there. the glen rose canoe trip really creeped me out......and if i recall the suspects were never caught despite the fact that a great description was given by the victim.

the lake lewisville incident also had my attention. My mother and father in law live alongside the lake and we go there all the time. It's just weird when these things happen very close to home.

Yeah that Lake Lewisville case was pretty big around here. My grandfather and I used to go fishing up there and we were at Lewisville Lake only about a week before that happened. Im so shocked that that case hasn't been solved because as I recall the boat that struck her was not that common of a boat, particularly at that lake.

I live in Arlington where the Patsy Wright case happened, but I havent been able to find any more info on it.

And yes you are very correct about the rape case. I am very suprised no one was caught from that case. Every year or so I go on a canoe trip down that same river and it really creeps me out when I stop to think about it.

browneyes106
10-04-2008, 09:25 AM
I'm from New Mexico.
The Tara Calico disappearance
Las Cruces bowling alley murders

There was two cases that happened in the Albuquerque area but I can't remember names.
One was a college student who people believed was murdered by her Asian boyfriend I think she was shot a bunch of times in the face and head.
The other case was another college student who was beaten and raped by one of her friends who was from Africa and fled.

There were some paranormal and UFO cases from my state
Roswell
Lonnie Zamora UFO encounter
St. James Hotel
Loretto Chapel
a haunted hotel in Santa Fe

icomeinpeace
10-04-2008, 12:11 PM
browneyes106, is the case about the girl who was murdered by her Asian boyfriend the case of Kaitlyn Arquette? Her mother is Lois Duncan, a well-known young adult novelist. Duncan wrote a book about her daughter's murder called Who Killed My Daughter?. Here is the website for that case: http://kaitarquette.arquettes.com/

DALLASTEXAN!!
10-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Yeah that Lake Lewisville case was pretty big around here. My grandfather and I used to go fishing up there and we were at Lewisville Lake only about a week before that happened. Im so shocked that that case hasn't been solved because as I recall the boat that struck her was not that common of a boat, particularly at that lake.

I live in Arlington where the Patsy Wright case happened, but I havent been able to find any more info on it.

And yes you are very correct about the rape case. I am very suprised no one was caught from that case. Every year or so I go on a canoe trip down that same river and it really creeps me out when I stop to think about it.
i don't know. my guess is the culprits still frequent the lake for all we know. and that's a scary thing. I know mixing alcohol with lake pleasure is common practice there like everywhere else it seems. hopefully time will get them in the long run.

as far as the glen rose crime...do you know if there were any other rape cases in that area? I wonder if the suspects are wanted in other cases.

browneyes106
10-05-2008, 09:24 AM
browneyes106, is the case about the girl who was murdered by her Asian boyfriend the case of Kaitlyn Arquette? Her mother is Lois Duncan, a well-known young adult novelist. Duncan wrote a book about her daughter's murder called Who Killed My Daughter?. Here is the website for that case: http://kaitarquette.arquettes.com/

Thanks for the info. I think I have read one Lois' novels before. I remember that Kaitlyn's boyfriend was considered a suspect due to involvement Asian crime and gangs

joshypiano
10-05-2008, 11:05 PM
as far as the glen rose crime...do you know if there were any other rape cases in that area? I wonder if the suspects are wanted in other cases.

I'm having trouble remembering when exactly that case ocurred.
The only cases I can find are that Kenneth McDuff was operating around that area, and he buried several of his victims Brazos river, including Colleen Reed. He did use a partner for several rapes and murders.
However he was burying his victims closer to Waco, I think he was captured before this case occurred.
So after all of that.......no....as of yet I've found no other info. I'm still looking.

taburn
10-17-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm from Bradenton FL. my story was on the show and thank god it was!

MegtheEgg86
10-17-2008, 06:34 PM
I'm from New Mexico.
The Tara Calico disappearance
Las Cruces bowling alley murders

There was two cases that happened in the Albuquerque area but I can't remember names.
One was a college student who people believed was murdered by her Asian boyfriend I think she was shot a bunch of times in the face and head.
The other case was another college student who was beaten and raped by one of her friends who was from Africa and fled.

There were some paranormal and UFO cases from my state
Roswell
Lonnie Zamora UFO encounter
St. James Hotel
Loretto Chapel
a haunted hotel in Santa Fe

Anthonette Cayedito, too. She was the little Navajo girl who was abducted from her home in Gallup in 1986:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/cayedito_anthonette.html

alfiechat
10-17-2008, 07:54 PM
Oops, I meant to post this before, but in PA, I can list the Gregory Adams murder case as well as Dale Kerstetter(that was PA, right?).

Mattmc
10-17-2008, 09:36 PM
I know of one , that happened here ... or the update ended up being here ... In Mobile AL , where I live , when Gail Delanos (SP) body was found in a Hotel room , after she commited suicide ... they even gave the room number if I am not mistaken . I think she was from New Hampshire .. or Rhode Island ... sad case

MegtheEgg86
10-17-2008, 10:06 PM
She was from Maine. It was a very sad case. She seemed very lonely.

Mattmc
10-17-2008, 10:31 PM
It just came to me when I saw Maine ... woonsocket ???

MegtheEgg86
10-18-2008, 12:19 AM
It just came to me when I saw Maine ... woonsocket ???

Yeah, I do believe so. Sounds very right.

Mattmc
10-18-2008, 12:25 AM
I wish I had that ep. taped .... I was less than 100 feet away from the hotel where they found her today , When it was first built it was a 22 story Hilton , now its a Marriot .... heres a pic http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii194/mcdilol/mobmc_home_leftimage.jpg

MegtheEgg86
10-18-2008, 12:33 PM
I wish I had that ep. taped .... I was less than 100 feet away from the hotel where they found her today , When it was first built it was a 22 story Hilton , now its a Marriot .... heres a pic http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii194/mcdilol/mobmc_home_leftimage.jpg

Oh man---it looks pretty much the same as it did in the segment on the exterior. Looks like a pretty pricey place.

Speaking of UM and hotels, I live about eight miles from the hotel Blair Adams finally checked into before he was discovered dead. Driven by it many times. Still creeps me out.

atomicfizz
10-19-2008, 05:28 AM
They just had a segment on the new show that was from my area. It was the robberies of the armored cars in Eden Prairie and Burnsville, MN. Looks like it was all shot in Burnsville. You could see the Burnhaven Mall in the background. I used to work there at the Sally Beauty store. It looks completely different now, it was hilarious to see how old school it was in the segment. That's where the car was left by the robbers, behind that mall. When they showed the guys running up the hill supposedly from the Eden Prairie robbery, it was back there as well. It's just so funny to see something you know so well on TV. Crazy that they still haven't caught those guys.

rcabodeely
11-27-2008, 12:04 AM
There were tons of stories centered in Northern California. For some reason the one that stands out to me was Elizabeth Fuentes Ortiz from San Mateo County (I think Redwood City) who was poisoning her husband. She was giving him, what he thought was, protein shakes laced with poison. She left with their young son. What a woman!
They were both found, and she's in prison without the possibility of parole..."that man has Jonathan!" LOL

dawnfla6aa2
11-28-2008, 10:22 PM
Here's a case that happened two blocks away from my house. The case is still UNSOLVED.

On the evening of Sunday, March 20, 1994, Charlotte "Bunny" Lehton and her husband, Robert, returned home from church to their residence located on South Orlando Avenue, Cocoa Beach, Florida where they were met inside the residence by a masked intruder. The intruder was armed with a knife and a semi-automatic handgun. While in the residence, the intruder took money and credit cards belonging to the Lehton's.

During his stay in the residence, the intruder advised that he was waiting for an accomplice. The intruder became more agitated as time went by and the accomplice did not show up. After approximately 30 minutes, the victim, Charlotte "Amy" Gellert, the daughter of Mrs. Lehton, pulled her car into the driveway where her headlights could be seen from the living room. The intruder then attacked the Lehton's with a knife, severely wounding them.

As "Amy" exited her car, she was attacked by the intruder, who had run from the residence. "Amy" sustained multiple stab wounds, which caused her death. The intruder then fled the area by running south on South Orlando Avenue, Cocoa Beach, Florida. The intruder was described as a white male, early twenties, 5'07" - 5'10" tall, weighing between 165 to 185 pounds, wearing dark clothing, gloves, and a black ski mask.

The handgun, which was not recovered, was later determined through investigation to be a blue in color, blank firing stage prop, which is a replica of a 9mm semi-automatic pistol. The Homicide Unit is looking for any information on persons who may have owned or possessed such a weapon or may have had a similar weapon stolen in a burglary.

marilyn1964
11-30-2008, 06:49 PM
I am new to posting here, but I have knowledge that the Massachusetts State Police may be very close to solving the Sarah Pryor and Catherine Malcomson cases as of this very moment. They both may be connected to a homicide of a 29 year-old woman that occurred in 1987, on Cape Cod, Mass. Unfortunately, the man responsible died in a jail cell of a drug overdose in 1987, so he could not be responsible for Holly Piraanen or Molly Bish. I know all this because I personally survived a muder attempt by this individual I cannot give you my full name, because this is still an active police investigation.

radar1979
12-06-2008, 08:15 PM
West Virginia

The most obvious one that comes to mind in my case is the Mothman segment, although Mr. Stack twice got the name of the state wrong by dropping the "west"...though others in the story, along with newspaper headlines, set it straight.

I also vividly recall the "Live From the Telecenter" show in 1992 when the object of the "Lost Loves" segement was located about 20 miles west of me.

There where 2 or 3 other times I recall hearing West Virignia mentioned but not to any great length.

radar1979
12-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Oops...How could I forget the case of Dan Casalero, the man found dead in the hotel bathtub in Martinsburg WV. Almost seems like heresy to leave that one out considering that UM even called in Jack Anderson to comment on the case.

Truth-be-told....Martinsburg is so far removed from most of WV that it is almost overlooked as being a part of it. For those of you unfamiliar with the Appalachian Moutnain area, Martinsburg is in the northeastern panhandle of WV and is a popular "retreat" for many people who live in Washington DC. It is in the general vacinity of Harper's Ferry.

I don't recall if any of that was mentioned in the segment as I have not even bothered to watch it on the DVD....but...there it is for what it's worth.

johnsmith1000
12-14-2008, 06:03 PM
[QUOTE=Kane]Well, I thought that he was waiting for word as to whether his job there would become a permanent one. I got the impression he had a temp job for UPS, and that he was doing so well that the company was considering having him as a permanent employee.

I can't say with 100 percent certainty, but I think he was from Lowell (or at least he was from a nearby town).

Dave was from Needham, Ma and he was a part time employee of UPS awaiting full time placement. Its a union job and I worked there in CA, you start out part time (am or pm) and then when an opening becomes available you get to go full time.
They were never able to figure out if it was related to military or union, he did (supposedly) turn in some employees at UPS for theft and that upon proven guilt is immediate termination, nothing the union can do about it. So if a Union employee lost a pension, they would be really pissed, I believe I read a supervisor was caught in the theft ring too.

bryndis
12-24-2008, 06:58 PM
Well I currently live in a state (Oregon) where apparently a lot of the wanted fugitives flee too. Another good reason to not like oregon (Sorry to anyone who lives in the state, I'm a California native)

A case occurred, literally maybe a mile or half a mile from where my High School is located in California.

The case of the woman whose body was found below a cliff, apparently she could not pay the entire cab fee and the cab driver let her off (and I know exactly where he did!) not far from the edge of the cliff. I can see how if there isn't a lot of light (and I take it when this occurred the city wasn't fully developed yet), she just walked off because the darkness hid the edge of the cliff. it's so steep:\

But there was also the really dumb and sad segment of the Swedish hitchhikers in LA who shockingly were murdered by someone who picked them up.

(European transplants I've might are kind of naive towards life in America. This one couple I met, thought from the size of the map of the US they could easily drive across the country, like they can in Europe. They stopped in NM when they realized it was too far.)

VikingsGal
01-15-2009, 02:52 PM
There was a bank robbery in Burnsville that was filmed here in Minnesota. There was also a kidnapping of a US Bank president who was kidnapped from his car in a parking ramp and taken to Wisconsin and released. I can't think of any other episodes that were based in Minnesota. We have had plenty of unsolved and bizarre things happen here in Minnesota, so we'll see.....

And yes it does seem that a lot of things happen in Florida, California and Texas but those are states are heavily populated so I guess that makes sense. Michigan seems to have a lot of profiles, too.

MegtheEgg86
01-15-2009, 03:52 PM
There was a bank robbery in Burnsville that was filmed here in Minnesota. There was also a kidnapping of a US Bank president who was kidnapped from his car in a parking ramp and taken to Wisconsin and released. I can't think of any other episodes that were based in Minnesota. We have had plenty of unsolved and bizarre things happen here in Minnesota, so we'll see.....

And yes it does seem that a lot of things happen in Florida, California and Texas but those are states are heavily populated so I guess that makes sense. Michigan seems to have a lot of profiles, too.

I was wondering what UM stories happened in MN myself---I have a friend from Albert Lea and we got to talking about it, and I honestly couldn't think of any! (I'd forgotten the bank robbery.) I chalked it up to the Minnesota Nice thing. ;)

dynoguy88
01-15-2009, 06:39 PM
I was wondering what UM stories happened in MN myself---I have a friend from Albert Lea and we got to talking about it, and I honestly couldn't think of any! (I'd forgotten the bank robbery.) I chalked it up to the Minnesota Nice thing. ;)

I remember a segment where a woman almost froze to death yet somehow lived after her car got stuck in the snow. She tried walking to her friend's house and was able to reach the front yard before passing out. Her friend found her the next morning and she was completely white. That took place in Minnesota. How she survived that was beyond me. (Pretty fitting giving the kind of weather this side of the country is experiencing at the moment.)

Victoria Doroshenko's car accident (where she was hit by a drunk driver and forever suffered from epilepsy and got a dog Harley that could predict her seizures) that happened in Minneapolis. She eventually moved to Washington after the accident.

I can't think of any homicide or missing persons segments from Minnesota, though.

VikingsGal
01-30-2009, 11:56 AM
I remember a segment where a woman almost froze to death yet somehow lived after her car got stuck in the snow. She tried walking to her friend's house and was able to reach the front yard before passing out. Her friend found her the next morning and she was completely white. That took place in Minnesota. How she survived that was beyond me. (Pretty fitting giving the kind of weather this side of the country is experiencing at the moment.)

Victoria Doroshenko's car accident (where she was hit by a drunk driver and forever suffered from epilepsy and got a dog Harley that could predict her seizures) that happened in Minneapolis. She eventually moved to Washington after the accident.

I can't think of any homicide or missing persons segments from Minnesota, though.

Well now I can add the Larry Race case to the list! And as for the young gal who got out of her car and walked to the house I believe that was in northern Minnesota. I can't believe she got out of the car and starting walking wearing such non-winter clothing. She is SO VERY lucky to be alive!!

Minnesota has plenty of unsolved mysteriesbut maybe people don't want to come here to film in the winter! Can't blame them, really!:lol:

justins5256
01-30-2009, 12:02 PM
\And as for the young gal who got out of her car and walked to the house I believe that was in northern Minnesota. I can't believe she got out of the car and starting walking wearing such non-winter clothing. She is SO VERY lucky to be alive!!

Could someone please refresh my memory on this case? I vaguely remember it but I don't recall what the mystery was.

TracyLynnS
01-30-2009, 12:50 PM
The woman's name was Jean Hilliard.

If I remember correctly, she was driving home in the evening during bad weather and bad road conditions. Her car ended up in a ditch or something, making it inoperable.

She got out of her car and started walking to her friend's house, which was fairly close to the accident scene. By the time she got to the friend's front yard, she collapsed without the friend ever knowing that she was there or in need of help.

The next morning, Jean was found, and so they say, she was frozen solid. They couldn't bend any of her joints. Her body temp was under 80 degrees, I think, and they didn't expect her to live.

One of the hospital techs called friends and relatives and got a prayer chain going to pray for Jean's recovery. I think this segment is one of those in the miracles category, since the hospital staff said that she should have been dead, and at the very least, should have lost limbs to severe frostbite.

They say that she recovered 100% and not even any fingers or toes had to be amputated. She is shown in the segment, fully recovered, and now married with three healthy kids.

VikingsGal
01-30-2009, 01:44 PM
The woman's name was Jean Hilliard.

If I remember correctly, she was driving home in the evening during bad weather and bad road conditions. Her car ended up in a ditch or something, making it inoperable.

She got out of her car and started walking to her friend's house, which was fairly close to the accident scene. By the time she got to the friend's front yard, she collapsed without the friend ever knowing that she was there or in need of help.

The next morning, Jean was found, and so they say, she was frozen solid. They couldn't bend any of her joints. Her body temp was under 80 degrees, I think, and they didn't expect her to live.

One of the hospital techs called friends and relatives and got a prayer chain going to pray for Jean's recovery. I think this segment is one of those in the miracles category, since the hospital staff said that she should have been dead, and at the very least, should have lost limbs to severe frostbite.

They say that she recovered 100% and not even any fingers or toes had to be amputated. She is shown in the segment, fully recovered, and now married with three healthy kids.

And she still lives in Minnesota! I remember when the nurses told the doctor her pulse was 8 or 10 or some small number the doctor was all, "WHAT? That CAN'T BE!!" and the in the re-enactment he seemed kinda rude to the nurse. Like that was a surprise! Just kidding there, doctors. But yes the one nurse said she was like a stick of frozen wood.

I am in no way blaming Jean fro what happened but for land's sake she should have STAYED IN THE CAR! Now I have no idea how far a walk it was but again, native Minnesota gal here and I won't let my kids stand at the bus stop when it is below zero. This morning it was -6 (yes negative six and that is without windchill) and I or their dad will give them a ride to the stop and wait for the bus. Luckily here in "Minnesota Nice" neighbors who are home will open the garage and tell the kids to wait inside until the bus comes.

But back to the thread: Can't think of any other stories in Minnesota and I am trying to think of Iowa or North or South Dakota. Well South Dakota had the Native teens who were in an accident and two dies whike a thrid was left behind but I have posted elsewhere that I think that was just an unfortunate accident mixed with some shoddy police work.

Obi Wan
01-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Jean Moore: 1992 Disappeared from a casino in Laughlin NV while there with her boyfriend on a supposed vacation.

Scott Johnson, 10 years old: 1974 Burned to death with his friend in Bullhead City, AZ in a powder magazine.

justins5256
01-31-2009, 10:54 AM
I think this segment is one of those in the miracles category

Ahhh, that explains why I don't remember it. Thanks for the synopsis.

MegtheEgg86
01-31-2009, 01:55 PM
I've actually had passing thoughts of creating a "UM map", just to be able to see if there's any interesting patterns in the distribution. Super-geeky, I know.

Does there appear to be a substantial number of cases in Oklahoma within a relatively small area (all are within a three-hour drive), or is that just me:

-Dwayne McCorkendale (Chandler)
-Wendy Camp (Shamrock...interestingly enough, the Wal-Mart she was allegedly dropped off at was also in Chandler)
-Aileen Conway (Lawton)
-Lenny Dirickson (Strong City)

And for its size, I think there's a disproportionate number of cases from my home state as well:

-Baskin Kids (Murfreesboro)
-Blair Adams (Knoxville)
-Dan Tondevold (Knoxville)
-Inner City Church Arson (Knoxville)
-Kevin Hughes (Nashville)
-George Owens (Nashville)
-ATV Murders (Signal Mountain/Chattanooga)
-Cheryl Holland (Lewis Chapel Mountain/Chattanooga)
-Margo Freshwater (Memphis)
-Martin Luther King (Memphis)

Of course, I'm pretty sure for the population the statistics are quite balanced for both states, but it's still weird to look at.

hostedbyrobertstack
01-31-2009, 02:31 PM
I've actually had passing thoughts of creating a "UM map", just to be able to see if there's any interesting patterns in the distribution. Super-geeky, I know.

DO IT! i want a full US map with dots on there w/ the names of the cases, it would be sweet

MegtheEgg86
01-31-2009, 03:00 PM
DO IT! i want a full US map with dots on there w/ the names of the cases, it would be sweet

:lol: I'm glad you like the idea! I might need a lot of help on it from the experts here, but I think I just might do it.

dynoguy88
01-31-2009, 06:47 PM
But back to the thread: Can't think of any other stories in Minnesota and I am trying to think of Iowa or North or South Dakota.

Kathy Bonderson was murdered by her husband in New Rockford, North Dakota. He tried to make it look like her car ignited when it hit a set of railroad tracks when in reality, he killed her and set her car on fire himself.

http://www.kxmc.com/t/wayne-stenehjem/18653.asp

TracyLynnS
01-31-2009, 08:29 PM

I think you should do it too.

On a crime discussion board I belong to, we have a member who's done exactly that on a computer map for a couple specific cases. She mapped out all pertinent info, and in one case, was able to get 1973 cold case featured on the TV news, due in part to the map helping sleuthers "connect the dots" to show that the case was not a suicide, as it had been ruled.

Even if you map out the UM cases just because it's an interesting pursuit, you never know when it may become a useful tool for anything from a class project to uncovering the movements of previously undiscovered serial killer.

VikingsGal
02-09-2009, 01:59 PM
There was an episode about the hunter guy who was accidentally shot by his own rifle. He was in a deer stand and his rifle dropped, butt down, towards the ground and shot him! He lost so much blood and was brain dead but recovered. That was in Maple Plain, Minnesota.

And I think I already mentioned the John Gruendhofer kidnapping. He was a US Bank executive who was kidnapped from the parking garage.

VikingsGal
02-12-2009, 02:37 PM
I just thought of another story: A young woman gave birth to a baby back in the early 60's (the birth mom was Marlys) and was told the baby died but she is convinced the baby is still alive and there is a confusion about the grave of her baby and another baby (or small child) at the cemetery. She wants to exhume the bodies to see who is who but the other family won't consent. I didn't follow the whole story very well.

And there was another story of a convict who married a gullible young woman in prison (not in Minnesota) but they were found in St. Paul.

TracyLynnS
02-12-2009, 03:28 PM
VikingsGal,

Were some details in the baby story where the birthing mother was in the hospital recovering after the birth, and could not attend the funeral, but family members who did attend the funeral wondered why there were so many other people there who they did not recognize?

Then I think things became more confusing when the birth mother finally got enough money together to buy the child a headstone, but it was placed on the wrong grave, or somehow preparing to place the headston brought in even more confusion about if her child was ever really buried there?

VikingsGal
02-12-2009, 05:28 PM
VikingsGal,

Were some details in the baby story where the birthing mother was in the hospital recovering after the birth, and could not attend the funeral, but family members who did attend the funeral wondered why there were so many other people there who they did not recognize?

Then I think things became more confusing when the birth mother finally got enough money together to buy the child a headstone, but it was placed on the wrong grave, or somehow preparing to place the headston brought in even more confusion about if her child was ever really buried there?

Yes - then she went to cemetery and there were people praying and crying over a grave that she thought was hers - right? I admit that I often watch TV with half an ear (writing a letter, playing on the computer) but this one was a bit confusing. Again, I could be very wrong about some of the story I have not seen it in so many years. Maybe Spike would do an update. But do we really know that the baby she saw from the waist down was hers? I feel bad for her as she didn't want to give up her baby and to think tehre was some sort of trick played on her and her baby was really alive....that would be hard to take.

TracyLynnS
02-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Yes - then she went to cemetery and there were people praying and crying over a grave that she thought was hers - right? I admit that I often watch TV with half an ear (writing a letter, playing on the computer) but this one was a bit confusing. Again, I could be very wrong about some of the story I have not seen it in so many years. Maybe Spike would do an update. But do we really know that the baby she saw from the waist down was hers? I feel bad for her as she didn't want to give up her baby and to think tehre was some sort of trick played on her and her baby was really alive....that would be hard to take.

My memory is fuzzy because I haven't seen it in so long. (I didn't even remember that is was UM where I'd seen it.)

I don't remember names or much of the details. I'm wondering if she was a single mom and that back then she thought they lied to her about the baby dying so they could put it up for adoption.

I'd love to see this segment again.

TracyLynnS
02-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Holy Wow! VikingsGal, I went here, and in this forum, a poster wrote the whole story, with names and everything. (pasted below the link) She says that Marlys got a lawyer and a court order to have DNA tests performed on the baby buried at the cemetery. The tests showed that the baby was not related to Marlys or the other family who believed their child was buried there!

http://findmywayhome.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63&sid=67ec28d01a7963e0888884a9df87e9d9

MISSING
MARY AGNES GROSS

As seen on Unsolved Mysteries on July 31, 1998.

SYNOPSIS: In June 1962, 20-year-old Marlys Gross was pregnant and living alone in a small town in Minnesota. She had left her husband and had set out to have the baby herself. Marlys delivered a baby girl, but was told by hospital authorities that the baby had died. As was the practice at that time, Marlys was put to sleep for the delivery. She has a groggy memory of seeing her baby and specifically remembering that the baby's feet had moved. After Marlys woke up, she asked how her baby had died. She was told it was too late for an autopsy. When she then asked for a photo, the funeral home refused to let Marlys' mom
take one.

Marlys was devestated by her daughter's death. The tragedy would haunt her, so much so that she eventually surmised that the baby had not really died but had been stolen from her at birth and sold on the black market.

Although Marlys was too sick to attend her baby's funeral, her mother did go and noticed that another family whom she did not know was also in attendance. After she was released from the hospital, Marlys went to the cemetery and noticed only one fresh grave in the area. But Marlys had been told that on the same day her daughter died, another baby born at the same hospital had also died and was buried in the cemetery. That baby's name was Pamela Dickey.

Three months after giving birth, Marlys received an unidentified photo of a
family with a newborn baby. She now believes someone was trying to tell her that Mary Agnes (the name she gave her baby) was alive and living with someone else.

Finally, in 1993, the Dickey family placed a gravestone on the site where Mary Agnes was buried. When Marlys complained to the cemetery, she was told that they had no record of her baby ever being buried there. Marlys hired a lawyer and forced DNA tests to be done on the baby's remains. The results showed that the infant was neither hers nor the Dcikey's.

Where is Marlys Gross's baby? Did it really die in childbirth, or was it stolen and sold to another family?

TracyLynnS
02-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Newspaper article dated July 22, 1997 can be purchased. Preview of the article confirms that the baby buried at the cemetery is not related to Marlys or the other family. http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-62613451.html

BTW, Marlys Gross is now Marlys Thomas

cuba_libre
02-13-2009, 02:56 PM
The Baskins, who just found out their son and daughter are alive, live in my home state. Also, the Guyana-born bird breeders who went missing are also from my hometown.....

TracyLynnS
02-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Curt Borton, Jr. the Marine who was supposed to be missing in Vietnam circa 1966/1967 and was allegedly spotted alive in the 1980s/1990s in Washington DC and California is originally from Benton Harbor, Michigan.

afirefly
02-15-2009, 09:28 AM
Hello everyone;
I am new here. What a neat site!
I don't know if this is the right place to post this question but here goes.
I am trying to find out if there was ever a story about a woman who basically got in a car with a man and left her children behind? It seems he may have been a serviceman. This would have happened sometime between 1945?-50? and would have been in Colorado. I don't know how many children there were (more than 2) or any names.
Several years ago my former mother in law told me this story. She was one of those children. She said she remembered her mother getting in the car and telling them she would be right back. She never came back.
When she told me that story, it sounded familiar and has bothered me ever since. She passed away last year and never did find her siblings. She got adopted and did have a happy life but probably still has brothers and sisters who may be looking.
Does this story sound familiar to anyone?
Thanks Cindy

MissFit29
03-14-2009, 04:43 PM
I'm from Wisconsin, and there were only a few cases from there:
Dexter Stefonik (from Hayward)
The Tallman haunted bunk bed
Eric Kessler (con man)
Craig ...shoot.... "I need to get to the fishes" ...what IS his last name?

I live in Minnesota now, and most of the cases have been mentioned.
Larry Race
John Grundhofer (bank president abduction)
Jean Hillard
Armored Car robberies

I remember being bummed as a kid watching UM because nothing ever happened in my state. :bonk:
It was probably a good thing, but I always wanted to see if the Stack would come help investigate a crime or something.

But I always thought there were a ton of cases from states like Ohio, Tennessee, or Arizona....you'd expect California, New York, Florida, Texas and Nevada (because of Las Vegas) to have a ton. I was always surprised there weren't more from Illinois or Michigan.

Apostapler
03-14-2009, 10:34 PM
Well I didn't see Indiana anywhere. The only two I can think of are Clarence Roberts, a.k.a. the guy who died twice in two different fires, and that politician from East Chicago, IN who was shot at a "casino night" benefit party back in the 80's...can't remember his name though.

MissFit29
03-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Didn't that love triangle case happen in Indiana? The Todd Kelly murder?

Oh! The Brook Baker case was in Indiana as well.

UMfan77
03-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Well I didn't see Indiana anywhere. The only two I can think of are Clarence Roberts, a.k.a. the guy who died twice in two different fires, and that politician from East Chicago, IN...

Niqui McCowan was from Indiana. She was the young woman that was harrassed at a laundry mat and then disappeared soon after that. Her abondoned SUV was found in Dayton Ohio, in the parking lot of her ex-boyfriend's apartment building. Nicqui was 3 weeks away from her wedding when she disappeared and her fiance' is the prime suspect, but he claims his innocence.

UMfan77
03-16-2009, 08:43 AM
...that politician from East Chicago, IN who was shot at a "casino night" benefit party back in the 80's...can't remember his name though.

Are you talking about Jay Givens? He was shot in the head as he was exiting the party.

Apostapler
03-16-2009, 06:22 PM
Yep, Jay Givens, that's the one.

Oh that's right, McCowan was from Richmond, Indiana! Haha glad you have a better memory than I do. :)

UMfan77
03-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Yep, Jay Givens, that's the one.

Oh that's right, McCowan was from Richmond, Indiana! Haha glad you have a better memory than I do. :)

No problem! Recently, I happen to be watching one of my MANY UM tapes and both of those cases were on it, so that's why I remembered.

Obi Wan
03-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Hello everyone;
I am new here. What a neat site!
I don't know if this is the right place to post this question but here goes.
I am trying to find out if there was ever a story about a woman who basically got in a car with a man and left her children behind? It seems he may have been a serviceman. This would have happened sometime between 1945?-50? and would have been in Colorado. I don't know how many children there were (more than 2) or any names.
Several years ago my former mother in law told me this story. She was one of those children. She said she remembered her mother getting in the car and telling them she would be right back. She never came back.
When she told me that story, it sounded familiar and has bothered me ever since. She passed away last year and never did find her siblings. She got adopted and did have a happy life but probably still has brothers and sisters who may be looking.
Does this story sound familiar to anyone?
Thanks Cindy

Gosh Cindy, for me there is just not enough information to help you. But.... I am fairly new here also but know there are some genius USM posters who should be able to ans. your question.
Good luck
Obi Wan

MegtheEgg86
03-22-2009, 10:04 AM
A few more:

- Joe Sheppard

- William Bradford Bishop abandoned his car in the Elkmont area of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, which is on the TN side.

- Cheryl Holland

- Reggie White church arson

- There's been at least one person captured in Nashville. (Maria Armstrong?)

VikingsGal
04-07-2009, 11:45 AM
I am watching the episode about the two dogs who ran from the family cabin in Bear Head State Park in Ely, Minnesota. Not only did I recognize the state park, but we have camped in the park! It is beautiful but I must admit we have no cabin the size of the family featured. We have a tent.

To travel from Ely to Duluth is quite a long haul!

ms_bates
04-07-2009, 04:05 PM
I'm sure that plenty of them took place in my state -- California.

Some even took place in the city I live in now! Omar the arsonist and Gilbert (the poor guy whose wife gave him the poisoned milkshake). Moss Beach (supposedly the home of the "Blue Lady" ghost) isn't too far away, either.

The Baskin kids were found alive and well in San Jose, California. Which is all of twenty minutes from where I live.

Michaela Joy Garecht was abducted from Hayward, California in 1988. I remember my mom telling me about it when it happened.

I'm sure there are lots more I am forgetting, too.

MegtheEgg86
04-07-2009, 09:32 PM
I'm sure that plenty of them took place in my state -- California.

Some even took place in the city I live in now! Omar the arsonist and Gilbert (the poor guy whose wife gave him the poisoned milkshake). Moss Beach (supposedly the home of the "Blue Lady" ghost) isn't too far away, either.

The Baskin kids were found alive and well in San Jose, California. Which is all of twenty minutes from where I live.

Michaela Joy Garecht was abducted from Hayward, California in 1988. I remember my mom telling me about it when it happened.

I'm sure there are lots more I am forgetting, too.

Oh yeah. Tons from CA:

- Hansen twins (Willow Creek)
- Dick Hansen (Sunnyvale)
- Dottie Caylor (Pleasant Hill/Oakland)
- Justin Burgwinkel (Fort Ord/Monterey)
- Kurt McFall (Concord)
- C.W. Roddy (Palo Alto)
- Gretchen Burford (also Palo Alto, I think)
- Sacramento Thrill Killings
- Sal Guardado (SF)

You're livin' in a UM hotbed!

ms_bates
04-08-2009, 01:40 AM
Oh yeah. Tons from CA:

- Hansen twins (Willow Creek)
- Dick Hansen (Sunnyvale)
- Dottie Caylor (Pleasant Hill/Oakland)
- Justin Burgwinkel (Fort Ord/Monterey)
- Kurt McFall (Concord)
- C.W. Roddy (Palo Alto)
- Gretchen Burford (also Palo Alto, I think)
- Sacramento Thrill Killings
- Sal Guardado (SF)

You're livin' in a UM hotbed!

Sweet. Maybe I should go on a roadtrip and take pictures of some famous/infamous UM locations. I'd need the theme music for my car, though.

Oh hell, I'd probably freak myself out so damn bad.

browneyes106
04-09-2009, 12:39 AM
A couple of days ago I rewatched the segment on mysterious hums. I had forgotten about this segment. I actually grew up in a town near Taos, NM. My aunt lives there and she said that sometime in the early 90's she woke up one time at 3 am to a mysterious hum.

jonm
04-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Do any cases come to mind that have taken place in Kentucky?

VikingsGal
04-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Do any cases come to mind that have taken place in Kentucky? Wasn't there a prostitution ring in a small town in Kentucky that the cops looked the other way on? Then a working girl was murdered? And the former madam was on the city council?

I am envious of the people who live in Florida, California, Texas, New York and Michigan, as they are more populous states and the chances are greater that there will be more UM cases.

MegtheEgg86
04-13-2009, 12:12 PM
I am envious of the people who live in Florida, California, Texas, New York and Michigan, as they are more populous states and the chances are greater that there will be more UM cases.

Oh c'mon, you got good ol' Larry "Man Overboard" Race to be so proud of! :p

Yeah, jonm, that massage parlor was in Oak Grove, just outside Ft. Campbell. There was also a segment about a then-unidentified young man who latched onto the wing of a plane as it was taking off from the Paducah airport and subsequently fell to his death.

compulsive dvd
04-14-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm from the Peoria, IL area where Ann Coracelli and her mother swindled a bunch of people by pretending to be fortune tellers. Just saw this case again on Spike and am shocked she's still at large. The Robert Stack version was so much better and scarier. They had footage of one of the bridges in the area, which is rare to see for me. Of course Spike deleted this scene to make room for transitions and effects.

VikingsGal
04-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Oh c'mon, you got good ol' Larry "Man Overboard" Race to be so proud of!
Yes we are going boating together later today!

I am sure there are more for Minnesota but I can't think of any right now.

TracyLynnS
04-15-2009, 11:40 AM
I am sure there are more for Minnesota but I can't think of any right now.

Just real quick from the UM site, MN has:

The Incredible Journeys of the pets who travelled hundreds of miles to get home.

Jean Hilliard, the woman who was frozen nearly to death, but recovered with no lasting injuries.

The One Minute/One Million Dollar brinks truck heist.

Mastermind
04-15-2009, 04:33 PM
I'm sad. I feel left out.:(

Only one UM case from my home state of Connecticut, and it's just some jerk who shot that lady in Deep River, CT for no reason.

We do well in college basketball but we just suck in producing media worthy psychos, aliens, monsters. Heck we can't even get a Rainboy.:(

Oops. forget Martha Moxley. :D . Yah, Greenwich, CT.

TracyLynnS
04-15-2009, 06:10 PM
I'm sad. I feel left out.:(

Only one UM case from my home state of Connecticut, and it's just some jerk who shot that lady in Deep River, CT for no reason.

We do well in college basketball but we just suck in producing media worthy psychos, aliens, monsters. Heck we can't even get a Rainboy.:(

Oops. forget Martha Moxley. :D . Yah, Greenwich, CT.

Aww.. you guys have Martha, but unfortunately, that also means that:

Eww.. you guys have creepy Kennedy relatives. lol

VikingsGal
04-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Do any cases come to mind that have taken place in Kentucky?

jonm, there is an episode on right now that took place in Covington KY about a Diane Washer (maybe pronounces Warsher, I can't tell if it's the accent) who went missing. Guess what? Her hubby was the main suspect.

Turns out it was another guy!

There is another segment about a Dr. Craig who was a female pioneer in forenic science. There is a segment on Nancy Daddysman who went missing in Bowling Green.

So there are a few more for you, jonm!

TracyLynnS
04-16-2009, 12:12 PM
I was looking for stuff that happened in MI when I read that Dwayne McCorkendale had picked up a load of auto parts in detroit two days before he was murdered. He was supposed to deliver those parts to a plant in OK.

Who would think that you'd survive the craziness of detroit, only to be murdered in middle america, corn fed, oklahoma?

synthisislab
04-24-2009, 12:46 PM
I'm from Bradenton FL. my story was on the show and thank god it was!
Which story are you referring to?

Apostapler
07-27-2009, 08:07 AM
I am such a dummy! The I-70 killer shot a man in a mall in the town I live in...Terre Haute. The victim's name was Michael McCown. This happened before I moved to the area.

crystaldawn
07-27-2009, 08:49 AM
I am such a dummy! The I-70 killer shot a man in a mall in the town I live in...Terre Haute. The victim's name was Michael McCown. This happened before I moved to the area.

Wow Apostaler I live less than an hour from you! Also another case that took place near us is the Brook Baker murder in Vincennes, Indiana.

Apostapler
07-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Wow Apostaler I live less than an hour from you! Also another case that took place near us is the Brook Baker murder in Vincennes, Indiana.

Oh yeah! I just watched her episode the other day too.

So wait, we're that close, huh? cool!

WishfulDreamer
07-28-2009, 11:12 PM
The sea lion killings took place in my city- I almost passed out when I watched the segment and saw Robert Stack standing on the pier! The case aired before I was even born, however, back in the late 80s. I was happy to hear there was some resolution in the case as well.

zack007attack
07-30-2009, 03:32 PM
This may be one of the weirdest topics ever, but this will let you know if you're as much as a die hard fan of Unsolved Mysteries as I am.

Name any stories from Unsolved Mysteries that took place in your state. Me being from Michigan, I can only think of a couple....

1. An really early case from the show; a business man working in his office in Ypsilanti, MI, (just 20 miles from where I live) was gunned down in broad day light. Remember one of the gunmen asked "So you think you're pretty smart?" right before he shot him. There was alot of mystery about the man leading up to his death, apparently he was getting death threats but I can't remember why.

2. Some of you probably won't remember this case that much because it was a short "Special Alert" one, but it happened in Kalamazoo, MI in 1992. (I went to college in Kalamazoo the last two years!) A man got in a fight with his wife, dragged her out of their apartment, killed her and dumped her body in the woods about 10 miles away. Luckily, the scum-bag was captured.

3. And this case, I'm sure many will remember was the case of Dennis Depue. He got a divorce from his wife, Marilyn and they lived in Coldwater, MI, (an hours drive from my house) On Easter Sunday 1990, he showed up to take one of his kids for the weekend, but he didn't want to go with him. Then Dennis got in a fight with his wife pushing her down the basement stairs. He picked her up, told the kids he was taking her to the hospital, but instead drove her out, shot her in the back of the head, and dumped her body off the side of the road. He then went to bury the bloody blanket in the yard of an abandoned school house and that's when he was spotted by a couple (Ray and Marie Thorton) who was driving by and called the police after seeing the bloody sheet buried in the hole.

Depue saw his case featured on Unsolved Mysteries, tried to distract his girlfriend from seeing the TV and drove off. His girlfriend saw the rest of the UM segement and called the telecenter. Depue was then spotted by police and he killed himself.

Call me crazy, but whenever I passed Coldwater on my way back to school or on my way home for the weekend, I couldn't help but think of this case. Sometimes I even thought if I wanted to REALLY freak myself out, looking for the abandoned school yard, but I can't imagine actually going through with it.

I know this is probably a dumb subject, but when I see an Unsolved Mysteries segment that happens in my own state, it seems pretty weird knowing that it happened so close to home. How about any of you? And cases happen near your home town or in your state?

I live in San Diego but go to college in San Jose, CA. Here are some that intrigued me because of happening near where I live or go to school:

1) Jennifer Pratt (she was attacked in Carlsbad, which is about a half hour drive from my house in Carmel Mountain)
2) Nick Markowitz
3) Dick Hansen (hit and run murder in San Jose)
4) Gus Hoffman (captured by gang members, which is not too far away from my school (San Jose State))

bugnpinky
07-30-2009, 03:51 PM
The mistaken hit one took place in my state. There's also a reunion one where the woman lived here and my mom knew her...can't remember the name though. Seems like there was another one in my own city but....memory is bad. ETA of course, the lights over Phoenix and the Lost Dutchman gold mine...and Scott Johnson...so sad and bizarre.

Dawn83
08-16-2009, 02:04 PM
I'm not sure about in my state, but a few miles away from me is Point Pleasant (TNT area)...where the mothman is famous. :)

Mysteryphile
08-17-2009, 08:05 AM
The only one I can think of that took place in Iowa (I think!) is the one where it was during the Depression. A man leaves his two daughters with a family, then later gets them again. The family were searching for the two girls. They were reunited and the father(of the family that took them in) was still alive. The woman said, "Daddy, we found the girls." or something to that effect.

I don't think any others took place here, although I might be wrong about that.

DALLASTEXAN!!
08-20-2009, 12:00 AM
The only one I can think of that took place in Iowa (I think!) is the one where it was during the Depression. A man leaves his two daughters with a family, then later gets them again. The family were searching for the two girls. They were reunited and the father(of the family that took them in) was still alive. The woman said, "Daddy, we found the girls." or something to that effect.

I don't think any others took place here, although I might be wrong about that.
just moved from AZ to Ohio. so circleville letters.. the el sicko's...one of my favorite bob stack lines.

also the nuclear waste employee that was found dead in the plant close to where I live here in the Tri-state area.

Mysteryphile
08-28-2009, 08:58 AM
I was actually wrong about that being the only case. There was actually a big one from Iowa... Jodi Huisentruit...the news anchor that disappeared from Mason City Iowa. She has never been found. This case is actually you-know-where if you wanted to watch it again.

Here's a link to a website where people are still searching for her:
http://www.findjodi.com/

Jared Jammer
08-29-2009, 11:46 AM
I've always enjoyed the Clarence Roberts mystery (http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Clarence_and_Geneve_Roberts) which took place in Nashville, Indiana. Other than that, I can't think of any interesting Unsolved Mysteries to take place in my neck of the woods.

crystaldawn
08-29-2009, 01:58 PM
I've always enjoyed the Clarence Roberts mystery (http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Clarence_and_Geneve_Roberts) which took place in Nashville, Indiana. Other than that, I can't think of any interesting Unsolved Mysteries to take place in my neck of the woods.

I'm only 2 hours away from you Jared. :) The Brook Baker case took place in Vincennes which isn't too far away.

UnSub
12-07-2009, 11:36 PM
I live in very close proximity to where the Oba Chandler murders took place. I remember reading the newspaper the day after they found the bodies of those poor women and people immediately speculated that it might have been a mob hit because of the bodies being weighted down with concrete blocks.

uncleslappy38
12-14-2009, 10:59 AM
I live in Ohio where several UM segments have taken place.

Two incredibly un-nerving ones are Cynthia Anderson's disappearance in Toledo, Ohio and the Whistle Blown segment from the Cincinnati area.

Also of note, I live in Columbus and work at The Ohio State University, which was the scene of a case that would have almost certainly been showcased on UM; the disappearance of Brian Shaffer.

I remember when that happened. People are still wondering what became of him.

Mastermind
12-14-2009, 11:18 AM
What is it about Ohio that spawns so many weird UM cases?:lol:

UMfan77
12-14-2009, 11:55 AM
What is it about Ohio that spawns so many weird UM cases?:lol:

I know! We could probably compile a whole, full-length DVD of cases that took place in Ohio. Lets not forget the Circleville letter writer and Kurt Sova case.

uncleslappy38
12-14-2009, 01:35 PM
I know! We could probably compile a whole, full-length DVD of cases that took place in Ohio. Lets not forget the Circleville letter writer and Kurt Sova case.

Those are two VERY interesting cases. I think both cases were muddled by lots of red herrings. The Circleville Letter case also kind of reminds me of 9oddly enough) a UM ghost segment about a haunted house that was the scene of a man being shot in his driveway after awakening in the middle of the night to find his truck on fire. Anyone else get that too?

The Shaffer cases I mentioned earlier terrifies me in a different way: a total lack of information. What happened to that guy? That kinda happened in my neighborhood, so it especially freaks me out.

McBevis
05-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Cherry Hill, New Jersey, the town where DeDe Rosenthal lived, is less than 10 miles from where I live.

Hambone2421
05-10-2010, 02:07 PM
The Shaffer cases I mentioned earlier terrifies me in a different way: a total lack of information. What happened to that guy? That kinda happened in my neighborhood, so it especially freaks me out.

I know this wasn't on Unsolved Mysteries but this case is baffling. Its as though he literally vanished into thin air. What happened to him?

McBevis
05-10-2010, 05:32 PM
The reunion between Albert and Jim Young and their half-sister Kathleen Young-Alberti took place less than 2 miles from where I live, and it's a street that I've actually driven down several times without knowing that.

bawitter
05-10-2010, 05:54 PM
I was born in the same hospital where the unidentified professional hospital patient "Tom Hughes" died. My mother, father and grandmother all worked there at one time as well as my good friend but I don't think any of them worked their at that time. It is also in the same town the Reggie Depalma comitted his crimes. Greenwich where Martha Moxley died is not too far away either.

mah79
05-17-2010, 01:19 AM
I am originally from the Long Island area, but am going to school in Iowa (NY to Iowa, big culture shock!) Anyhow, the only LI cases I know of are Chaim weiss, which was about 20 minutes away from where i live, and part of the Su Ya Kim case, where the car thought to be the suspect's car was traced to a Taiwanese exchange student at CW Post college inBrookville, LI. My high school graduation ceremony tok place at CW Post. BTW, the college campus where the scene with the exchange student was shot is clearly NOT CW Post! The buildings in the background were very gothic and clustered together, and I recall the campus of CW POst as being more spacious, and the buildings spread out. My mom says she remembers the Chaim Weiss case; I do not as I was very young when it happened.

mah79
05-17-2010, 01:30 AM
I also forgot to mention that Jeffrey and Colette McDonald were originally from Patchogue which is about 45 minutes from where i lived in LI. One of my college friends was also from Patchogue. I remember Newsday (the LI based newspaper) did several feature stories on the McDonald murders, about 13 years ago.
This is unrelated to UM but when i was surfing the Charley Project the other day, curious to find cases from Iowa, I found one of a young man who disappeared from the U of Iowa campus, about 35 or 40 years ago. I attend the U of I. His car was found in the parking lot of the hydraulics building. I pass this building many times, as it is right behind the student union. It is quite eerie. I will try to find that case and post the link in a future post.

Mystery Man
05-17-2010, 08:06 PM
The Tony Marabella case happened near me. I could probably drive to the ball park where the incident happened.

xxxxmattxxxx69
05-17-2010, 11:26 PM
MA sucks for UM cases.

1) Whitey Bulger
2) Susan Tarascaweitz(sp?)
3) Molly Bish
4) Boston Strangler
5) Some car crash on the Mass Pike where a complete stranger pulled a baby from the back seat to save them.
6) And Donald Webb was said to have been a member of the Fall River Gang which is in MA

MegtheEgg86
05-19-2010, 06:07 PM
As many of you know I'm originally from East Tennessee, but I can't help but notice the number of UM cases that took place in California's Bay Area. I suppose it can be pretty neatly summed up to population density, but it's unusual nonetheless:

1. Kurt McFall - San Francisco
2. Dick Hansen - Sunnyvale
3. Gretchen Burford - Mountain View
4. Michael Hunter - Emeryville
5. CW Roddy - East Palo Alto
6. Dottie Caylor - Concord
7. Gilbert Ortiz - Palo Alto
8. Lester Garnier - Walnut Creek
9. "Omar" arsonist - Redwood City
10. Michaela Garecht - Hayward
11. Amber Swartz - Pinole
12. Gus Hoffman - San Jose

And that's just off the top of my head.

Dinahcat1
05-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Wanda Jean Mays in Alabama. The actress who played Wanda in the episode still looks back on the experience. She remembers meeting Wanda's father and being in a scene with him. He was very nice. She filmed in the aunt and uncle's home, and was taken into Wanda's room and shown her jewelry and clothes. One curious thing is someone indicated a pill bottle, saying it was what she took for her condition (panic condition?). The prescription wasn't mentioned in the show, was it. I thought they said she'd had only two attacks over time. Bless her parents and family.

tiddlywinks950
05-24-2010, 02:48 AM
well, I live in SC and NY, so....

NY
1. Son of Sam
2. The Buffalo rapist
3. That case about the guy who was shot in his home in Rome, NY
4. The I-84 shooter (this happened not too far from my house and I have driven down the stretch of road countless times)
5. Hudson Valley UFO (again, in my neck of the woods, Poughkeepsie is right on the Hudson; my mother actually remembered hearing about these lights when she was a teenager)
6. Champ ( Lake Champlain is NY and Vermont =)

SC
1. Dana Satterfield
2. Murdered couple
3. That guy who got struck by lightning

there are probably others but I cant remember them right now

mah79
05-25-2010, 09:45 AM
I forgot about the Hudston Valley UFO sightings...those occurred not too far from where I did my undergrad, in Westchester Co. (I went to school about an hour south of Poughkeepsie)

well, I live in SC and NY, so....

NY
1. Son of Sam
2. The Buffalo rapist
3. That case about the guy who was shot in his home in Rome, NY
4. The I-84 shooter (this happened not too far from my house and I have driven down the stretch of road countless times)
5. Hudson Valley UFO (again, in my neck of the woods, Poughkeepsie is right on the Hudson; my mother actually remembered hearing about these lights when she was a teenager)
6. Champ ( Lake Champlain is NY and Vermont =)

SC
1. Dana Satterfield
2. Murdered couple
3. That guy who got struck by lightning

there are probably others but I cant remember them right now

iamlace
07-12-2010, 12:33 AM
First time poster :wave: I joined specifically so I could comment on this. :)

I'm from Kansas (Wichita, KS)

1. JODIE BORDEAUX- Pregnant casino worker murdered. Unsolved as far as I know.
2. DEVIN WILLIAMS- The semi-truck driver who came crashing through Arizona's Tonto National Forest acting, well, crazy. He disappeared and his skull was found two years later in that area. He was from here.
3. I-70-killer/ Murders of Patricia Smith and Patricia Magers.
4. TOM DIXON- He was from Overland Park, KS. His disappeared in 1974, and his remains were found in 1985 in cave in Independence, Missouri. He had been shot in the head.

And I honestly can't remember if the BTK killer (Dennis Rader) was ever profiled on UM. I lived with my sister for a while in Park City, where BTK lived, and we were about a block away from his house. He came by our house one time, not too long before his arrest, inquiring about our dogs in the back yard. He worked for the Compliance Department in Park City at the time. We were in the process of moving back to Wichita when he was arrested.

MegtheEgg86
07-12-2010, 09:11 PM
4. TOM DIXON- He was from Overland Park, KS. His disappeared in 1974, and his remains were found in 1985 in cave in Independence, Missouri. He had been shot in the head.

I remember seeing that segment as a kid. Pretty creepy.

And I honestly can't remember if the BTK killer (Dennis Rader) was ever profiled on UM. I lived with my sister for a while in Park City, where BTK lived, and we were about a block away from his house. He came by our house one time, not too long before his arrest, inquiring about our dogs in the back yard. He worked for the Compliance Department in Park City at the time. We were in the process of moving back to Wichita when he was arrested.

SUPER scary.

thekingof8
07-13-2010, 03:46 PM
There was about a UFO sighting in West Carleton (now Ottawa), Ontario.

kadrmas15
07-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Well let's see, my home state is North Dakota, Kathy Bonderson's case was out of Eddy County. I grew up in Dickinson, North Dakota in the southwestern part of the state. New Rockford is probably about 200 miles or so maybe a little more northeast of Dickinson. New Rockford and Eddy County is out in the eastern part of North Dakota, about 70, 75 miles north of Jamestown, population 15,000, Jamestown is actually the 6th largest city in the state, Dickinson is 5th largest at 20,000. New Rockford is about 40 miles south of Devils Lake, population 7,000. Thus long trips to get to the 'big city'. New Rockford is about 90 miles west of Grand Forks, population 50,000 the third largest city in the state behind Bismarck and Fargo.

But yeah, Eddy County is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, only 3,000 total residents in that county, 1,500 of which live in New Rockford. There are only two other towns in that county, Sheyenne, population 320 and Brantford which has under 100 people. So I can see why that investigation was so botched, the Sheriff in that County I am sure like any rural county has a ton of power and if you are pals with the Sheriff like Rob Bonderson and his family were you can get away with pretty much anything. I think the Sheriff in this case botched it so bad. The ND Highway Patrol guy was even amazed, like you could tell he wanted so bad to have that thing declared a murder and was pretty much amazed at the ineptitude of the Sheriff.

Speaking briefly about that North Dakota Highway Patrolman, I was trying to think of where he would have been assigned? In ND, these guys got a lot of ground to cover. At that time there were 8 separate patrol districts in the State, a few years ago these were combined and now there are 4 separate areas. So my guess is this guy was probably based out of Devils Lake or Jamestown. But if he was an investigator, from what I understand the investigators are all based out of either Bismarck or Fargo.

Kenny Ingy and his case were out of ND too. His case was out of Edmore, North Dakota in Ramsey County, North Dakota. Edmore is about 60 miles north of New Rockford and about 50 miles south of the Canadian border. Edmore is about 30 miles northeast of Devil's Lake. Edmore, another small town, about 300 people, in fact so small I am surprised they even had their own police department. It might have only been a one man department. Ramsey County itself has 12,000 residents but 7,000 of them live in Devils Lake. Ramsey County, fairly large in terms of square miles.

MegtheEgg86
07-14-2010, 12:36 AM
A few more that happened in my home state that I don't think I've mentioned here:

Martha Roberts - Eads, TN, across the state from my hometown, Knoxville. She was the woman who was kidnapped by her husband's business partner. The party holding her captive always used a false, exaggerated "Asian accent" when he communicated through telephone. Unfortunately she was found murdered some time later. :(

John Cheek - Another Memphis-area case. He was the young professional who inexplicably disappeared just before making a crucial business decision. There have been a number of unconfirmed sightings, but he is unfortunately still missing:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/cheek_john.html

Joe Sheppard - Tellico Plains. The counties where he committed the murders of Roxanne Woodson and Cathy Clowers are about a half hour's drive from where I used to live in Tennessee. I had never heard of the case before seeing the segment and it was a shock.

I recall there was another Tennessee case from either the "Live from the Telecenter" or Third Anniversary specials. I know it was featured in a "line-up" type format of cases and it was the very first one profiled. It was an inmate escape and I want to say it happened in Morristown (also not far from Knoxville). Does anyone remember the escapee's name? He was captured shortly afterwards if I remember correctly.

Corkys-Place
07-21-2010, 05:53 AM
The Frederick Valentich 1978 disappearance (Plane Pilot goes missing after being followed by UFO in the Sky) took place just south of my City. I don't remember it happening as I was only 2 at the time.
The young Blonde haired Girl in the Re-enactment is now a well known Australian Actress who's been in a heap of shows.

tsny82
07-25-2010, 09:39 PM
The Stanley Gryziec case. If anyone remembers this case, it took place in Rome, New York. I live in Utica,NY which is about a 10 minute drive away from Rome.

RobinW
07-28-2010, 11:56 AM
There was about a UFO sighting in West Carleton (now Ottawa), Ontario.

I currently live in Ottawa and have passed through West Carleton quite a few times, so the Guardian UFO case is the UM story that's definitely closest to home for me. Alas, I did not live here at the time of the sighting, so I don't have any interesting insights to offer, and no, I have never encountered any UFOs myself :crazy: .

The only other Ontario case I can think of is the Blind River murders, but thankfully, I lived hundreds of kilometres away from it when it originally happened :eek: . However, Lindsay, the town that the McAllisters are originally from, is only a few hours away from me.

Oldschooler81
07-28-2010, 04:45 PM
There's actually been alot of them in the San Francisco Bay Area (I've lived in a few places and in San Jose since '96), but I just found out I've been to the exact place Gretchen Burford died in. :( This is in Mountain View about 15 miles west/northwest of SJ, and maybe 30 miles from SF.

I did a little research, and realized it happened at a bank which from what I can see on Google Earth existed until 2004. The place she crashed her car is a shopping center I've been to many times (there's a huge secondhand music store there now, back then it was a Tower Records although you can't quite see it)...but just to think I've walked in the exact spot she passed away is pretty sad and creepy. Especially considering I'd seen the case but didn't yet know until now.

Also the Gus Hoffman case was in San Jose. His mom even mentioned Meridian Avenue which is a semi busy street here. It looks closer to downtown, but I can't make out exactly where it's supposed to be. Of course it was the late 80s pretending to be 1978, but I moved here not that long afterwards, so I'm sure I'd recognize if I knew where it was.

mphs95
07-31-2010, 08:34 PM
This may be one of the weirdest topics ever, but this will let you know if you're as much as a die hard fan of Unsolved Mysteries as I am.

1. An really early case from the show; a business man working in his office in Ypsilanti, MI, (just 20 miles from where I live) was gunned down in broad day light. Remember one of the gunmen asked "So you think you're pretty smart?" right before he shot him. There was alot of mystery about the man leading up to his death, apparently he was getting death threats but I can't remember why.

3. And this case, I'm sure many will remember was the case of Dennis Depue. He got a divorce from his wife, Marilyn and they lived in Coldwater, MI, (an hours drive from my house) On Easter Sunday 1990, he showed up to take one of his kids for the weekend, but he didn't want to go with him. Then Dennis got in a fight with his wife pushing her down the basement stairs. He picked her up, told the kids he was taking her to the hospital, but instead drove her out, shot her in the back of the head, and dumped her body off the side of the road. He then went to bury the bloody blanket in the yard of an abandoned school house and that's when he was spotted by a couple (Ray and Marie Thorton) who was driving by and called the police after seeing the bloody sheet buried in the hole.

Call me crazy, but whenever I passed Coldwater on my way back to school or on my way home for the weekend, I couldn't help but think of this case. Sometimes I even thought if I wanted to REALLY freak myself out, looking for the abandoned school yard, but I can't imagine actually going through with it.

I know this is probably a dumb subject, but when I see an Unsolved Mysteries segment that happens in my own state, it seems pretty weird knowing that it happened so close to home. How about any of you? And cases happen near your home town or in your state?

I remember another Michigan case. It was from my hometown of Mt. Pleasant. Just a quick blurb, but it was about the bank manager who embezzled from the Bank of Alma. It was one of the special alert things. I was a kid watching and though "WHOA!"

Also, don't forget the guy in Detroit who ran a morgage company and scammed them by taking out fake loans. He left his wife holding the bag. He owned the Orlando Juice minor league baseball team.

MegtheEgg86
07-31-2010, 10:14 PM
Also, don't forget the guy in Detroit who ran a morgage company and scammed them by taking out fake loans. He left his wife holding the bag. He owned the Orlando Juice minor league baseball team.

Oh, Phillip Breen, that classy dude. I love that photo of them they show at the end with his chin perched on his fist, wearing a giant pink rose boutonniere on his white tux.

RainX
07-31-2010, 11:48 PM
I'm from Wisconsin, and there were only a few cases from there:
Dexter Stefonik (from Hayward)
The Tallman haunted bunk bed
Eric Kessler (con man)
Craig ...shoot.... "I need to get to the fishes" ...what IS his last name?

I live in Minnesota now, and most of the cases have been mentioned.
Larry Race
John Grundhofer (bank president abduction)
Jean Hillard
Armored Car robberies

I remember being bummed as a kid watching UM because nothing ever happened in my state. :bonk:
It was probably a good thing, but I always wanted to see if the Stack would come help investigate a crime or something.

But I always thought there were a ton of cases from states like Ohio, Tennessee, or Arizona....you'd expect California, New York, Florida, Texas and Nevada (because of Las Vegas) to have a ton. I was always surprised there weren't more from Illinois or Michigan.
Yeah, the one WI is probably best known for is the haunted bunk bed and house from Horicon, WI. To this day, it's definitely one of the scariest hauntings UM has ever profiled.

2 other cases for WI:

Chad Maurer: This was the young man from Madison, WI who was found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning in a garage on the southside of Chicago in May 1990. There was strong evidence of foul play involved in the case but to this day has not been solved. It was unknown as to why he was in Chicago when he was killed and there was the possibility he was involved in drug trafficing between Chicago and Madison, but it was never substantiated.

Author Lopez Jr.: hispanic gang member from Milwaukee, WI who is wanted for murder in 1999.

MegtheEgg86
08-01-2010, 01:44 AM
RainX, I have nothing to add to this conversation except that a couple of years ago, I was on I-94 in Wisconsin in the dead middle of a December snowstorm en route to Minneapolis. It was about 1:30 AM and I was traveling alone, and being a southerner I'm not exactly well-versed in the finer points of piloting a vehicle in the snow. I slipped off the interstate and ended up in the median. I had absolutely no idea where I was, but I know the last sign I saw said I wasn't far from someplace called Eau Claire. I called 911 and the dispatcher was not only professional, but exceptionally warm and considerate. The Wisconsin State Patrolman who gave me a ride back to the Perkin's to wait while my car got pulled out back onto the road was equally as helpful and friendly. I remember being incredibly impressed with the hospitality I felt from nearly everyone I came into contact with there and have never forgotten Eau Claire since.

VikingsGal
08-09-2010, 06:19 PM
There was another one from Minnesota that involved a guy who made his own currency at home. He dropped the drums over the bridge into the mighty Mississippi then went on the run from his family. I can't remember the details other than that!

The Larry Race case still causes a lot of discussion in the Duluth area. Many people feel that he didn't do it and others feel undecided but the state did not prove the case beyond reasonable doubt.

Alvin Karpis
08-09-2010, 08:49 PM
As many of you know I'm originally from East Tennessee, but I can't help but notice the number of UM cases that took place in California's Bay Area. I suppose it can be pretty neatly summed up to population density, but it's unusual nonetheless:

1. Kurt McFall - San Francisco
2. Dick Hansen - Sunnyvale
3. Gretchen Burford - Mountain View
4. Michael Hunter - Emeryville
5. CW Roddy - East Palo Alto
6. Dottie Caylor - Concord
7. Gilbert Ortiz - Palo Alto
8. Lester Garnier - Walnut Creek
9. "Omar" arsonist - Redwood City
10. Michaela Garecht - Hayward
11. Amber Swartz - Pinole
12. Gus Hoffman - San Jose

And that's just off the top of my head.

Born and raised in Northern California, this list is perfect and saved me some time

Thanks Meg!

Zoneboy
08-31-2010, 03:04 PM
Joe Sheppard - Tellico Plains. The counties where he committed the murders of Roxanne Woodson and Cathy Clowers are about a half hour's drive from where I used to live in Tennessee. I had never heard of the case before seeing the segment and it was a shock.

Joe Shepherd dies

Link (http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=132308&catid=2)

A Tellico Plains man convicted of murdering two teenage girls in the 70's then spending years on the run after his escape, has died in prison.

U.S. Department of Corrections officials say Joe Shepherd died in the Northeast Correctional Facility in Mountain City on Saturday.

Shepherd was serving a life sentence for the murders of 16-year-old Roxanne Woodson and 15-year-old Kathy Clowers in 1978.

The case earned national attention, after Shepherd escaped from prison before his trials, and disappeared for years.

Watch Bill Williams' Our Stories feature on Shepherd

In 1990, a man spotted him in Canada, after the story aired on NBC's Unsolved Mysteries program.
Authorities brought him back to Monroe County, where he was convicted in the girls' deaths.

Officials say Shepherd died of natural causes.

MissFit29
08-31-2010, 07:15 PM
RainX, I have nothing to add to this conversation except that a couple of years ago, I was on I-94 in Wisconsin in the dead middle of a December snowstorm en route to Minneapolis. It was about 1:30 AM and I was traveling alone, and being a southerner I'm not exactly well-versed in the finer points of piloting a vehicle in the snow. I slipped off the interstate and ended up in the median. I had absolutely no idea where I was, but I know the last sign I saw said I wasn't far from someplace called Eau Claire. I called 911 and the dispatcher was not only professional, but exceptionally warm and considerate. The Wisconsin State Patrolman who gave me a ride back to the Perkin's to wait while my car got pulled out back onto the road was equally as helpful and friendly. I remember being incredibly impressed with the hospitality I felt from nearly everyone I came into contact with there and have never forgotten Eau Claire since.

I grew up in a town right off of I-94, in between Eau Claire and Minneapolis (both were 50 miles either way). Eau Claire is a decent sized city for that area - most of the state's population is on the east size. But most of us avoid the WI highway patrol because they catch people for speeding a LOT. :) Glad to hear you were taken care of - I've driven in snow all my life, and it can be harrowing at times!

dynoguy88
08-31-2010, 08:56 PM
I remember another Michigan case. It was from my hometown of Mt. Pleasant. Just a quick blurb, but it was about the bank manager who embezzled from the Bank of Alma. It was one of the special alert things. I was a kid watching and though "WHOA!"

Hmm. I don't remember that. I've been to Alma several times. My best friend went to college there several years back and I drove there for visits. Alma is in the middle of nowhere. Surrounded by miles and miles of countryside. I'd die of boredom if I had to live there. We used to drive to Mt. Pleasant when we wanted to go to a decent restaraunt or store.

On a side note, I started this thread 8 years ago. Nice to see it's still going.

TracyLynnS
09-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Did anyone mention the Michigan case of Eleanor Farber?

I think this one was hosted by Karl Malden. The killer was John Burns, but that was just one of his many aliases. I believe the investigator said that they never were sure what his ID was and couldn't even tell if he'd been born in the US.

Eleanor lived in the South Lyon area, which is still kind of rural, but back in 69 or 70, it must have been really country. I used to live not far from there and still go back about every week or two.

All of us michiganders have "that northern accent real bad" but the folks interviewed on the segment sound like what we call "yoopers", people from the upper peninsula of the state. Since I'm used to going to South Lyon a lot, and hearing the local people, it was odd to hear those interviewed speaking with such pronounced accents.

I can't remember if Eleanor was widowed or divorced. She had 6 kids, I wonder what ever happened to them after they lost their mother.

dynoguy88
09-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Hmm. I'll have to see if the Eleanor Farber case is on the site that shall remain nameless.

South Lyon is just 40 miles from where I live. I have close family friends who had a cottage on a lake there and my Summer vacations as a little kid in the 80's were spent there. Good times. But you're right about it being rural. I remember passing farmland and cornfields to get there.

Charlie99909
09-01-2010, 12:35 PM
I live about 45 minutes north of the haunted Kelsey house. It is just south east of Carson city Nevada. It really is in the middle of no where.

MegtheEgg86
09-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Hmm. I'll have to see if the Eleanor Farber case is on the site that shall remain nameless.

It just might be. ;)

TracyLynnS
09-01-2010, 06:14 PM
OFF TOPIC

South Lyon is just 40 miles from where I live. I have close family friends who had a cottage on a lake there and my Summer vacations as a little kid in the 80's were spent there. Good times. But you're right about it being rural. I remember passing farmland and cornfields to get there.

Hey Dynoguy, my daughter's fiance lives in the same city you do. My husband has a client who is always bringing us yummy pastries from (I think it's) Shatila on Warren road. Wow! their desserts are so good.

I'm gonna make it a wee bit too easy for perusers of this site to find me but anyway... I used to live in Westland and Garden City, right off Ford Road. I later moved to White Lake, Milford, Waterford, and Commerce Township. Milford was my favorite place to live, I really miss the nice little downtown area they have there, although lately they've been continuously piping in that horrible muzak garbage through speakers on main street, which ruins the historic feel of the town, imo.

Milford is the place I lived that was closest to South Lyon and I still go to and through SL quite a bit. We had considered moving there at one time. It's a very nice place, but their property taxes are double and triple what they are in the surrounding areas, so we picked Milford instead.

Now, we're just basically homeless. You know how this MI economy is. gah! I'll be glad when the recession is over and maybe I can get a job and a place to live again....

TheCars1986
10-21-2010, 08:28 PM
The murder of Keith Warren happened in my state, Maryland. And there was also that woman who was in the navy who's body was found on shore and there were two guys who were suspects in the case but when they updated it it wasn't either of them involved. I'm pretty sure that happened in Maryland as well.

VikingsGal
01-08-2011, 12:03 AM
I just saw the episode of baby Mary Agnes Gross and the mystery of where the baby (now grown) is. It took place in Worthington MN (I am pretty sure of the city) and I wish there was some hospital insider who knows what happened and would spill the dirt.

Being it was established that neither of the two graves in question contained the remains of a child related to the mom who gave birth.....where is the baby?

Small towns can keep a secret......or can they?

Killarney Rose
01-08-2011, 12:43 AM
I thought i posted on this thread, but I'm not finding it if I did.

The Tommy Zeiglar case happened in Winter Garden the town I grew up in. Imagine my surprise all those years later to be sitting up late watching Tv after the husband and kids were in bed, and there are people I used to know on UM!

Tommy's wife, Eunice was a 4th grade teacher whose classroom was next door to my 4th grade classroom. She was with our classes a lot for PE. She was a very sweet lady and she married Tommy that year. There was a lot of excitement over her wedding and learning to call her Mrs. Zeiglar when we were used to her being Miss Edwards.

I dated the son of Tommy's lawyer Vernon Davids my senior year in high school. I was surprised to see Vernon on TV that night too!

Pamela June Ray was also in my state, and we happened to be vacationing in panama City when she went missing so that case has always stuck with me too.

Truth Sleuth
01-19-2011, 09:53 PM
I'm in Wisconsin, and the only story I recall off the top o' my head is the Dexter Stefonek case. Admittedly, that didn't take place in WI, but that's where he lived and where he was headed when he disappeared. I've been to Rhinelander a few times.

Sorry if anyone else already listed some WI stories, I haven't read through this whole thread yet. ;)

mah79
02-10-2011, 11:34 PM
Hi everyone,
I just saw the sleepwalking case on UM the other day. I had no idea that the sleepwalker who was killed by a truck (Jared something?) was from Iowa City? I live very close to there. I don't have any idea though, how far Bertram is from IC?

TheCars1986
02-11-2011, 12:41 PM
The Tracy Kirkpatrick murder also took place in my home state.

MariposaLKB
02-11-2011, 01:21 PM
I went to Ohio State many years ago, and have always wondered about Brian Shaffer. That he didn't get to become a doctor and marry his girlfriend as planned, but his only claim to fame may be disappearing from a bar called the Ugly Tuna Saloona LOL! Seriously though, weird and potentially tragic, given how long he has been missing....

And speaking of Ohio State, just noticed the case of Dr. Michael Swango will be on today.

Were the torso murders in Cleveland (the only case Eliot Ness never solved) profiled on UM--seems to me I remember they were.

I now live out in the county near Circleville, of the infamous Letters. And was just reminded by reading the thread yesterday about the supposed psychic Georgia Rudolph, who thought herself the reincarnation of a girl who drowned herself near Marietta. My husband's parents were living in Marietta when he was born.

Truth Sleuth
02-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Were the torso murders in Cleveland (the only case Eliot Ness never solved) profiled on UM--seems to me I remember they were.

Yes, it was. They made kind of a big deal out of it since Robert Stack played Ness on The Untouchables.

MariposaLKB
02-12-2011, 12:30 PM
OK I thought I had seen it on there back in the day, and I am sure I have seen it on other crime shows since, also.

porcella
02-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Well let's see, my home state is North Dakota, Kathy Bonderson's case was out of Eddy County. I grew up in Dickinson, North Dakota in the southwestern part of the state. New Rockford is probably about 200 miles or so maybe a little more northeast of Dickinson. New Rockford and Eddy County is out in the eastern part of North Dakota, about 70, 75 miles north of Jamestown, population 15,000, Jamestown is actually the 6th largest city in the state, Dickinson is 5th largest at 20,000. New Rockford is about 40 miles south of Devils Lake, population 7,000. Thus long trips to get to the 'big city'. New Rockford is about 90 miles west of Grand Forks, population 50,000 the third largest city in the state behind Bismarck and Fargo.

But yeah, Eddy County is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, only 3,000 total residents in that county, 1,500 of which live in New Rockford. There are only two other towns in that county, Sheyenne, population 320 and Brantford which has under 100 people. So I can see why that investigation was so botched, the Sheriff in that County I am sure like any rural county has a ton of power and if you are pals with the Sheriff like Rob Bonderson and his family were you can get away with pretty much anything. I think the Sheriff in this case botched it so bad. The ND Highway Patrol guy was even amazed, like you could tell he wanted so bad to have that thing declared a murder and was pretty much amazed at the ineptitude of the Sheriff.

Speaking briefly about that North Dakota Highway Patrolman, I was trying to think of where he would have been assigned? In ND, these guys got a lot of ground to cover. At that time there were 8 separate patrol districts in the State, a few years ago these were combined and now there are 4 separate areas. So my guess is this guy was probably based out of Devils Lake or Jamestown. But if he was an investigator, from what I understand the investigators are all based out of either Bismarck or Fargo.

Kenny Ingy and his case were out of ND too. His case was out of Edmore, North Dakota in Ramsey County, North Dakota. Edmore is about 60 miles north of New Rockford and about 50 miles south of the Canadian border. Edmore is about 30 miles northeast of Devil's Lake. Edmore, another small town, about 300 people, in fact so small I am surprised they even had their own police department. It might have only been a one man department. Ramsey County itself has 12,000 residents but 7,000 of them live in Devils Lake. Ramsey County, fairly large in terms of square miles.

Hey, I'm from North Dakota, too! :wave:

Eastern part, though. I guess we're rivals. :lol:

Steve W.
02-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Tim Molnar's remains were found in the state of Wisconsin several years after he disappeared in 1984. Also, the letter-writer claiming to be the supposed abductor of Nyleen Kay Marhsall, he was traced back to Wisconsin. It's probably a good thing there's not too many UM segments involving your home state. :)

The name of the sleep(runner) was Jared Allgood.

mah79
02-23-2011, 05:30 PM
I went to Ohio State many years ago, and have always wondered about Brian Shaffer. That he didn't get to become a doctor and marry his girlfriend as planned, but his only claim to fame may be disappearing from a bar called the Ugly Tuna Saloona LOL! Seriously though, weird and potentially tragic, given how long he has been missing....

And speaking of Ohio State, just noticed the case of Dr. Michael Swango will be on today.

I now live out in the county near Circleville, of the infamous Letters. And was just reminded by reading the thread yesterday about the supposed psychic Georgia Rudolph, who thought herself the reincarnation of a girl who drowned herself near Marietta. My husband's parents were living in Marietta when he was born.

Hi Mariposa! Hello from one Big Ten alum to another (I went to Iowa). :wave: But yes, on a serious note, I remember Brian Shaffer's case. I saw it on the E! True Hollywood story on Spring Break Nightmares. I have also read about his case on the Charley Project website. I was sad to hear that his father died about 3 years ago.
I had no idea about MIchael Swango and Ohio State. Also, didn't Swango intern or serve as a resident at SUNY Stonybrook, at one point? I am originally from Long Island, and I could swear I remember hearing some stories about Swango in Newsday

MariposaLKB
02-23-2011, 07:53 PM
Hi there! Small world--my best friend (whom I met through Sitcoms Online) is also originally from Long Island! Yes Swango was at OSU and Stonybrook both. The deaths on his watch at OSU were not originally attributed to him, but he was so bad at his job that after internship he was not kept on as a resident. He was at several other institutions all over the country before Stony Brook, and since there he worked at a VA facility, the feds got involved and sent a warning to medical facilities in the US. But Swango was out of the country by then. He was accused in Zimbabwe and finally brought to justice in the US in July 2000.

badcompany
02-23-2011, 11:51 PM
The Jasper Watkins case (the elderly man who was stuffed in a trunk) not only took place in my state, but took place about 20 minutes from where I live. I would have hated to be the cop who found that trunk because that place is spooky enough during the day, I'd hate to think about how it is at night.

perhapsitscasey
02-24-2011, 01:56 AM
I grew up in TN, and the one case that especially creeped me out were the Signal Mountain murders. I didn't live anywhere near the Chattanooga area but I have visited and passed through before. I can't figure out how one person killed three men, all on ATVs (long range gun and good aim, I guess). Also, how did he/they/she move the ATVs? There would either need to be a truck with a large trailer involved or a few people to drive them to where they were dumped. It's especially haunting because the killer is probably a member of the community (in order to know the trails) and is living a normal life. I read that a man named Frank Casteel was convicted for it but is maintaining his innocence and has a following. Just checked out freecasteel.org and did a very quick read-through of a few parts...I'm not sure he did it either.

Sophie Treadmill
02-24-2011, 02:26 AM
perhapsitscasey, I love your avatar! I just had a Lost mini-marathon a couple of weeks ago and watched that episode. Also, I haven't seen the UM ep of the Signal Mountain murders, but I remember it being profiled on City Confidential. In fact, I probably have a VHS copy of that ep around somewhere.

There are many UM cases that happened here in Illinois. What comes to mind right now are Teresita Basa (the one that was solved when a nurse began having dreams about Teresita who named her killer in the dreams), Jaclyn Dowaliby, John Branion, Charles Southern, and of course Ressurection Mary. Can't forget her.

Saflorence
03-26-2011, 10:59 AM

I am looking for information concerning John Robert Whirty. Are there any shows about the cases that he is a suspect in. The murder that he is in prison for in Texas was a 15 year old. Her name was Rose Marie Martin, Nd she was my aunt.

amandab1234
08-07-2011, 11:18 PM
A few more that happened in my home state that I don't think I've mentioned here:

Martha Roberts - Eads, TN, across the state from my hometown, Knoxville. She was the woman who was kidnapped by her husband's business partner. The party holding her captive always used a false, exaggerated "Asian accent" when he communicated through telephone. Unfortunately she was found murdered some time later. :(

John Cheek - Another Memphis-area case. He was the young professional who inexplicably disappeared just before making a crucial business decision. There have been a number of unconfirmed sightings, but he is unfortunately still missing:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/cheek_john.html

I recall there was another Tennessee case from either the "Live from the Telecenter" or Third Anniversary specials. I know it was featured in a "line-up" type format of cases and it was the very first one profiled. It was an inmate escape and I want to say it happened in Morristown (also not far from Knoxville). Does anyone remember the escapee's name? He was captured shortly afterwards if I remember correctly.

The story of Shafa the little girl who was kidnapped by her father. Her mother Nancy Salem was looking for her. (I think they were eventually reunited). That took place in El Paso, TX which is where Im from also the Las Cruces bowling alley massacre.(sp) is about 1hr away from El Paso.

silverstang84
08-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Anyone know of any UM cases that happend in NJ?? I can think of two at the moment.. The case of the Murdered boy in Atlantic City ( his father was a police officer in AC) and the disapperance of the woman from Nutley.. Thats all I can think of right now

xxxxmattxxxx69
08-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Anyone know of any UM cases that happend in NJ?? I can think of two at the moment.. The case of the Murdered boy in Atlantic City ( his father was a police officer in AC) and the disapperance of the woman from Nutley.. Thats all I can think of right now

Alan Golder had burglaries in NJ. Arthur Lee Washington Jr. shot a NJ police officer. Golder was arrested but there is doubt if Washington is still alive because he suffered from Aids

McBevis
10-14-2013, 09:05 AM
There's a Padre Pio shrine in Buena Vista Township, New Jersey, which is about 20 miles from where I live, on a road I drive on fairly frequently.

theero
10-14-2013, 02:21 PM
I live in Florida, there are two cases i know of.

1) Beverly McGowan - the case where a woman was conned by her roommate Elaine Parent who used the name 'Alice' and she savagely murdered her, it was such a creepy case, she stole her identity and had a male accomplice dress up as Beverly to fool police. Glad she was caught only she committed suicide before police arrested her. But the male accomplice whom some believe never existed is still out there.

2) The other case that i remember also in south Florida was the case of a young black woman being killed in daylight by a Latino. A witness saw them arguing and he witnessed the murder and called police concealing his identity. What made it stand out about it was the ironic fact Robert Stack points out that this young victim's mother was also murdered when the victim was very young. very creepy:eek:

unsolved1981
10-14-2013, 05:18 PM
Dave Bocks's death happened about 15 miles from me, the plant remains aren't far at all from here.